Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So your school can fly. Yeah there’s a control room in the basement. Jabba the hut guards and lives in it. Your principal is married to the evil witch and will fly it for you

Anyway here’s a flashback to your dad but you don’t know that

God ff8 fuckin rules

Oh yeah you all grew up together but have mass amnesia

To be fair, I'm pretty sure there are multiple mentions of GFs consuming the memories of those they junction to prior to the orphanage reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Given how much of Squall's character was lost in translation, a hypothetical FFVIII remake would have tons of uninformed English-language fans whining about how they changed Squall's personality and made him soft

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone in real life knows you forget about your best bros once you junction a GF

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

Given how much of Squall's character was lost in translation, a hypothetical FFVIII remake would have tons of uninformed English-language fans whining about how they changed Squall's personality and made him soft

...Whatever

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Barudak posted:

like what happened 80 years ago that nobody remembers

This is still crazy to me, because from the state of Centra ruins i always guessed it had been centuries. It's only been 3 generations but not even the grandpas in the game talk about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy VIII would be incredibly well-suited to receiving the same kind of remake treatment, because it's also in that weird sweet spot between richly characterized and sparsely rendered, and full of highly flavorful but opaque and inconvenient subsystems. Imagine: your salary matters, junctioning has more pleasant and direct trade-offs between casting and equipping, playing Triple Triad doesn't involve micromanaging godawful trending rules, and you don't have to go out of your way to hear NPCs talking about elements of the world that become relevant later. Throw in the FFXV autopilot option every time you're driving a rental car, too.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Speaking of PS1 era FF remakes, whatever happened to that FF9 remake/animated series/both that was supposedly in development?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Speaking of PS1 era FF remakes, whatever happened to that FF9 remake/animated series/both that was supposedly in development?

Supposedly both it and the FF9 remake are still in production and will get some sort of announcement soon now that FF7Reb and FF16 are out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cock hero flux posted:

also rather than simply expanding on what was already there i think you'd have to rewrite most of 8's plot and character dynamics to not be super dumb

Dumb? You thought it was dumb when Zell was totally alone weirdly doing karate in the lobby ?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

FFVIII is Final Fantasy at its peak Final Fantasy-ness

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF8 just does not give a poo poo and just screams incoherently at you for four discs and it is amazing for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gfs give us strength. the stronger the gf, the stronger we become.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Barudak posted:

We had to turn off satellite television a decade ago cause an angry buff lady in space yells too loud.

This part honestly rules. It's such a weird, horrifying background detail, just "oh, yeah, we can't do radio waves anymore cuz they're full of an imprisoned immortal screaming in eternal rage at us" and everyone's just like yeah, sure, that's why we get cable tv now and the one time you see a TV tuned to broadcast station it's just showing over and over I AM ALIVE BRING ME BACK I'LL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ME

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FF8R part 3 that lets you go out to examine Adel's tomb in person and you find out she's a Triple Triad player.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

So your school can fly. Yeah there’s a control room in the basement. Jabba the hut guards and lives in it. Your principal is married to the evil witch and will fly it for you

Flying the Garden (school) was a top tier highlight as a kid. Man (ff7 rebirth spoiler) flying/sailing with Cid in his Tiny bronco reminded me of this so much.

I guess I viewed FF8 and it’s story in a better nostalgic view. Squall and Rinoa beat hits hard plus the whole Seed thing was cool to me as a kid

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

This is why I loved it as a kid. I don’t even think I was a teenager when I first played it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gfs give us strength. the stronger the gf, the stronger we become.

That weakness when no GF :smith:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'd like a side story explaining how somebody let Zell get a terrible face tattoo.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The theme is Love.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'd like a side story explaining how somebody let Zell get a terrible face tattoo.

everybody encouraged him to get it, as a sarcastic joke, but he actually went through with it? which they totally werent expecting???? what a freaking dumbass

This is why Zell's girlfriend goes unnamed. she has professional ambitions and doesnt really like being associated with him (at least in public)...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I can't believe Zell would do something rash and impulsive

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ManSedan posted:

The theme is Love.

yeah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ladies love men who know kung fu and have sick face tats. FF8 has a lot of unbelievable stuff but that aint one of them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ladies don't love a chickenwuss though

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I also hate his jnco-adjacent dumb shorts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Something I meant to ask about with FF12 is if anyone else found it very status-heavy compared with the others? I found from about Golmore Jungle onwards, every area seems to have a bunch of enemies that can stunlock half your party, or at least slow combat to a grind as everyone throws remedies at each other.

I'm at the point where I can fly to fortress Bahamut, but when I tried I got deadlocked for half an hour in the first room just curing various statuses or removing reflect from enemies. So I'm sort of wandering round exploring other areas trying to overlevel before going back in.

I've also found the license system really annoying (aside from the trouble I had earlier) because of how you buy the license for an ability, but you don't actually get it until you find it in a shop later. And there are some like Wither, Expose etc where you only get them if you go back through an absolute ballache of a dungeon again and find the hidden path.

Also kind of feels weird how there are so many abilities you get that seem like they'd be really useful, but by the time you get them everything powerful is immune to anything you'd want to use on it.

I would also kill for a 'foe:once' gambit, or at the very least if characters would stop trying disable / slow if they find out an enemy is immune to it. The nearest I got was 'enemy:hp>90%' but that is very vague targetying and still resulted a lot of time with my supports trying to disable/slow (or steal from) the one wolf nobody had hit yet while getting mauled by a t-rex.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ladies don't love a chickenwuss though

Wrong

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Something I meant to ask about with FF12 is if anyone else found it very status-heavy compared with the others? I found from about Golmore Jungle onwards, every area seems to have a bunch of enemies that can stunlock half your party, or at least slow combat to a grind as everyone throws remedies at each other.

I'm at the point where I can fly to fortress Bahamut, but when I tried I got deadlocked for half an hour in the first room just curing various statuses or removing reflect from enemies. So I'm sort of wandering round exploring other areas trying to overlevel before going back in.

I've also found the license system really annoying (aside from the trouble I had earlier) because of how you buy the license for an ability, but you don't actually get it until you find it in a shop later. And there are some like Wither, Expose etc where you only get them if you go back through an absolute ballache of a dungeon again and find the hidden path.

Also kind of feels weird how there are so many abilities you get that seem like they'd be really useful, but by the time you get them everything powerful is immune to anything you'd want to use on it.

I would also kill for a 'foe:once' gambit, or at the very least if characters would stop trying disable / slow if they find out an enemy is immune to it. The nearest I got was 'enemy:hp>90%' but that is very vague targetying and still resulted a lot of time with my supports trying to disable/slow (or steal from) the one wolf nobody had hit yet while getting mauled by a t-rex.

Yes, FFXII is very status effect heavy, which you can also use to your advantage (Oil + Fire attacks, The Nihopalaoa + Remedy trick).

I also wish they gambits recognized when an enemy was immune to a status effect. Overall the best way to do it is take active command of the party member to cast the spell. Going light with offensive gambits and playing the game as real time with pause is the method that always worked better for me.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 21, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

A FF8 Remake should just scrap Squall entirely and make Zell the protagonist.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 21, 2024

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I just wish there was a gambit condition for "did I successfully steal from this mook already", on console.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

welcome posted:

I just wish there was a gambit condition for "did I successfully steal from this mook already", on console.

The existence of a mod that does this has converted me to playing FFXII on PC only from now on

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

The existence of a mod that does this has converted me to playing FFXII on PC only from now on

I deeply regretted buying FF12 on the Switch because it turns out I need a mod or two to really enjoy FF12

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

well link it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

well link it

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy12/mods/218

Basically just a bunch of QoL options in one mod.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Frionnel posted:

A FF8 Remake should just scrap Squall entirely and make Selphie the protagonist.

fixed

Need an in-depth Garden Festival management sim minigame

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zell is cool.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Harrow posted:

I feel like everyone read that one article and decided that actually Squall in the translation was characterized in English as a surly teenager, but I really don't think that's the case. He is meant to come off as professional but dismissive and avoidant, which is absolutely what the original Japanese gets across. The things he's saying in Japanese are either meaningless apologies (it is standard to apologize for a lot of things in Japanese even if it could not possibly be your fault, and doesn't come across as simpering like it would in English) or frequently stock phrases called aizuchi that are intended to assure the speaker that you're listening. We don't use these in English as much, but a lot of the time he's going, "mmhm, yep, ah, I see, is that so? I understand, so that's how it is." In Japanese, if you don't pepper these in while being spoken to, people will assume you're not paying attention at all, but they absolutely do not imply on their own that you care about what anybody is saying to you.

So in English they're left with these text boxes and emotes from Squall which they have to fill with some kind of dialog. If they did a 1:1 translation, it would sound like he was eagerly listening to the people around him and expressing active interest, but that's not what he's doing in Japanese. In Japanese, he is (usually) trying to perform just enough of the social interaction to get out of it without direct confrontation. Even if you don't know any Japanese, it's easy enough to see what the original intent for the character was in how other people react to him. Quistis spends a large chunk of the first act commenting on his personality and dialog, and all of it lines up pretty well with his English characterization.

Mordiceius posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure there are multiple mentions of GFs consuming the memories of those they junction to prior to the orphanage reveal.

There are several, yeah. It comes up in incidental dialog and documents and also Cid directly tells you to ignore all that anti-GF propaganda when you graduate. Seifer also reveals at one point I think in disc 3 that he never forgot, and that kinda casts all his actions in a new light.

FF8 has a much simpler and more conventional story than people realize, but it's a little opaque about it so if you're 13 years old when it came out, it seems like poo poo is just happening for no reason and then suddenly Time Kompression. I guess I'll spoil this part, but there was only ever one sorceress, that sorceress is half of the god Hyne. Hyne lost a war with humans long ago and has ever since been trying to re-establish dominance by hopping from body to body and trying to take over the world. Most of the story is just the repetition of the idea that a man and a woman are two incomplete halves of a whole, thus the whole theme of junctioning and people being separated by time and circumstance. People say Ultimecia comes out of nowhere, but she's literally the same character that Sorceress Edea and Adel were, just in a different body.

The only thing that really seems out of nowhere to me is that Edea was a woman living in abject poverty on an island with some orphans. Squall appeared out of nowhere alongside a Rita Repulsa looking sorceress from the future. The sorceress gave Edea her powers. Squall was like "Yeah sorry, you have to raise an army of children to kill you now, otherwise reality will be destroyed," and then disappeared. Edea then somehow convinced NORG to fund an entire Garden, and NORG was like "hm ok but only if it makes money."

I guess we can assume the Garden was an old Centra building or something and the garden staff just renovated it, but even if that's the case, I'd still love to hear what Edea and Cid's pitch to NORG (why is it capitalized) was like. "Hi I live in a shack. Can we have sixty billion dollars?"

worm girl fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 27, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

worm girl posted:

I feel like everyone read that one article and decided that actually Squall in the translation was characterized in English as a surly teenager, but I really don't think that's the case. He is meant to come off as professional but dismissive and avoidant, which is absolutely what the original Japanese gets across. The things he's saying in Japanese are frequently stock phrases called aizuchi that are intended to assure the speaker that you're listening. We don't use these in English as much, but a lot of the time he's going, "mmhm, yep, ah, I see, is that so? I understand, so that's how it is." In Japanese, if you don't pepper these in while being spoken to, people will assume you're not paying attention at all, but they absolutely do not imply on their own that you care about what anybody is saying to you.

So in English they're left with these text boxes and emotes from Squall which they have to fill with some kind of dialog. If they did a 1:1 translation, it would sound like he was eagerly listening to the people around him and expressing active interest, but that's not what he's doing in Japanese. In Japanese, he is (usually) trying to perform just enough of the social interaction to get out of it without direct confrontation. Even if you don't know any Japanese, it's easy enough to see what the original intent for the character was in how other people react to him. Quistis spends a large chunk of the first act commenting on his personality and dialog, and all of it lines up pretty well with his English characterization.

There are several, yeah. It comes up in incidental dialog and documents and also Cid directly tells you to ignore all that anti-GF propaganda when you graduate. Seifer also reveals at one point I think in disc 3 that he never forgot, and that kinda casts all his actions in a new light.

FF8 has a much simpler and more conventional story than people realize, but it's a little opaque about it so if you're 13 years old when it came out, it seems like poo poo is just happening for no reason and then suddenly Time Kompression. I guess I'll spoil this part, but there was only ever one sorceress, that sorceress is half of the god Hyne. Hyne lost a war with humans long ago and has ever since been trying to re-establish dominance by hopping from body to body and trying to take over the world. Most of the story is just the repetition of the idea that a man and a woman are two incomplete halves of a whole, thus the whole theme of junctioning and people being separated by time and circumstance. People say Ultimecia comes out of nowhere, but she's literally the same character that Sorceress Edea and Adel were, just in a different body.

The only thing that really seems out of nowhere to me is that Edea was a woman living in abject poverty on an island with some orphans. Squall appeared out of nowhere alongside a Rita Repulsa looking sorceress from the future. The sorceress gave Edea her powers. Squall was like "Yeah sorry, you have to raise an army of children to kill you now, otherwise reality will be destroyed," and then disappeared. Edea then somehow convinced NORG to fund an entire Garden, and NORG was like "hm ok but only if it makes money."

I guess we can assume the Garden was an old Centra building or something and the garden staff just renovated it, but even if that's the case, I'd still love to hear what Edea and Cid's pitch to NORG (why is it capitalized) was like. "Hi I live in a shack. Can we have sixty billion dollars?"

That is actually explained.
Cid was like "We need to train soldiers to defeat the Sorceress" and Norg heard the first part and not the second part and went "So... you want to found a PMC, hmm?" And Cid was stuck as Norg gradually removed all his authority and power over everything but SEED itself.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Does that explanation happen after the civil war or is it in Shumi village where you learn it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

worm girl posted:

I feel like everyone read that one article and decided that actually Squall in the translation was characterized in English as a surly teenager, but I really don't think that's the case. He is meant to come off as professional but dismissive and avoidant, which is absolutely what the original Japanese gets across. The things he's saying in Japanese are frequently stock phrases called aizuchi that are intended to assure the speaker that you're listening. We don't use these in English as much, but a lot of the time he's going, "mmhm, yep, ah, I see, is that so? I understand, so that's how it is." In Japanese, if you don't pepper these in while being spoken to, people will assume you're not paying attention at all, but they absolutely do not imply on their own that you care about what anybody is saying to you.

It's actually one of the Garden Faculty who says to ignore the "anti-GF propaganda." A cool detail in the opening as Cid tries multiple times to discuss the bigger point of SeeD and one of the Faculty goons always cuts him off. This is not to say Cid didn't know about what GFs do to people. It's one of FFVIII's greatest weaknesses - Cid does multiple horrible things in full knowledge of how horrible they are,but is never once called out for any of it.

As for the spoilers
The problem is all of this is communicated badly. Hyne is never once mentioned in the main story except as a vague thing like Rinoa after she becomes a Sorceress is a descendant of Hyne.

As for Ultimecia, our heroes never have a single bit of dialogue with her. Never, even when she's Edea. It's hard to feel like you understand a villain when you never once communicate with them or esee someone else doing the same. At the end of FFXII, when Ashe confronts Vayne, Vayne asks "who are you?" It's a rhetorical question but it is perfect because the two characters have never had a single interaction in the story. Ultimecia has it even worse since Vayne at least got a lot of dialogue with other characters. Ultimecia is a whole lot of nothing because, even when we finally confront her in person, our heroes just stand around dumbly while she gives the most generic evil monologue of all time.

Not saying every villain ever has to be like them but there's a reason Sephiroth or Kuja are more iconic villains. Because they are so strongly linked to the characters and the story. If you think of a great Sephiroth or Kuja moment, it probably involves Cloud or Zidane, at least for me. Ultimecia has no relation to Squall apart from that one time she calls him a "legendary SeeD." This idea is never mentioned before that or after.

Oh and as for if Seifer always remembered, my memory on this is his only acknowledgement of her being their Matron is before you fight him at the end of Disk 2. But she easily could have told him this after he started serving her, I don't know for certain if it's ever confirmed that he never forgot. He uses GFs, too, like all folks at Balamb Garden. Irvine is the only one who doesn't remember because he never equipped GFs at Galbadia. Seifer's been at Balamb Garden as long as Squall, too.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2024