Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Genovera posted:

If you've played for a year or whatever without buying a gem pack don't start now just to avoid missing a "deal". I'm pretty sure that's the whole reason they reset it, honestly.

That's absolutely why. If they just get people to buy packs once per year because of FOMO, that's a win for them. And if breaking the seal and buying those bonus packs means people give themselves permission to buy more packs without the bonus because they've already justified spending that amount of money to themselves, that's an even bigger win. Even the welkins and battle passes are meant to basically be a gateway that gets people comfortable with the idea of spending money on the game. People can decide where they want to draw the line with this game for themselves, but once you find a line you're comfortable with, it's a pretty good idea not to find reasons to cross it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

People can decide where they want to draw the line with this game for themselves, but once you find a line you're comfortable with, it's a pretty good idea not to find reasons to cross it.

Yep, that's why my line of thought is basically "if it ever exceeds an MMO subscription worth of spending, I have crossed a line and have hosed up, do not do this".

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, that's why my line of thought is basically "if it ever exceeds an MMO subscription worth of spending, I have crossed a line and have hosed up, do not do this".

If I used that thought process, my brain would be like "you were subscribed to WoW for over a decade, so Honkers here has lots of room to catch up" :v:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

That's pretty much how I also mentally conceptualize it. The equivalent of a monthly MMO sub is fine but anything more than that and something's gone wrong.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Annath posted:

If I used that thought process, my brain would be like "you were subscribed to WoW for over a decade, so Honkers here has lots of room to catch up" :v:

Oh I mean that in the "it's $15 a month" sense. :v:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Just to be clear, that's also what I meant.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
:thejoke:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Don't buy packs, just get better at rolling. skill issue

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qfZvz2_spE

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

:golfclap:

Raidens just want a girl that reminds them of a small fluffy-tailed animal

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Alright, game. I give up. Himeko doesn't get her own Fire orb. Her attack orb has 5/17% crit, and her rope has 5% crit rate and 11 speed. That'll have to do.

Now, to move onto a different world. Vonwacq is next, I think.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just finished Penacony (yeah I'm slow.)

I wasn't expecting Firefly's time disease and the fact that she escapes to the dream world to do stuff she can't do IRL to hit so hard. As a disabled person, I felt that and nearly cried. I hope Firefly isn't dead for real cause she was pretty good disability rep in my opinion.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Violet_Sky posted:

I wasn't expecting Firefly's time disease and the fact that she escapes to the dream world to do stuff she can't do IRL to hit so hard. As a disabled person, I felt that and nearly cried. I hope Firefly isn't dead for real cause she was pretty good disability rep in my opinion.

Kusunoki Tomori, her Japanese voice actress, really makes those scenes even more affecting. She has Ehlers–Danlos syndrome which killed her ability to do live performances, and makes her suffer in a really similar way to Firefly that really makes her performance super emotional to me.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm real unclear on how death in dreamland maps to death irl, which im guessing is intentional. Like, maybe she can't come back to dreamland now which sucks due to the disease? But Robin being dead seems pretty permanent? Robin didn't dissolve into water so maybe she got killed in her dream bed? so many questions

Firefly is real good though

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I thought the idea was that the memetic entity is an anomaly and capable of killing people in real life by destroying their dream avatar. Otherwise it wouldn't really be a threat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I assumed it worked much like the in-game encounter - the meme rips your "soul" out, so you lie in a comatose state and must be rescued before the final death. There is still tension, but Robin and Firefly aren't permanently dead. But that was probably just me coping because I want both of them to pull through :ohdear:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Firefly will totally be a future playable character, no need to be coy

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Excelzior posted:

I assumed it worked much like the in-game encounter - the meme rips your "soul" out, so you lie in a comatose state and must be rescued before the final death. There is still tension, but Robin and Firefly aren't permanently dead. But that was probably just me coping because I want both of them to pull through :ohdear:
I mean, they already announced Robin as a playable character, so she's clearly coming back.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

then again

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They practically had characters look at the camera and say Tingyun might still be alive.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

FractalSandwich posted:

I mean, they already announced Robin as a playable character, so she's clearly coming back.

Unless that's actually just Sparkle impersonating Robin :tinfoil:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

All future banners are actually Sparkle. It's Sparkle all the way down.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I really wish Sparkle had some kind of shape-shifting gimmick in her kit. Not sure how it would actually shape out though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bad Video Games posted:

I really wish Sparkle had some kind of shape-shifting gimmick in her kit. Not sure how it would actually shape out though.
At the most extreme: it would be very cool if she didn't have a kit of her own and just transformed into a second copy of another character in your collection for any given fight. Letting you run the same character on both sides of MoC/PF, or silly things like double Ruan Mei on the same team. That would be way too good, though.

More reasonably: her ultimate could have been to copy a team member's ultimate. (Functionally not too different from just funneling energy to them like Tingyun. Generally worse, if anything.)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm probably way off base but the impression I personally got from Firefly from her being confirmed unpure, being so cautious, and statistically analyzing people not even the protagonist can see at the moment is that she's actually some sort of undercover assassin with her own agenda

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's pretty strongly implied you're the only person in Penacony who can see Clockie so I wouldn't worry too much about impurity.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eej posted:

It's pretty strongly implied you're the only person in Penacony who can see Clockie so I wouldn't worry too much about impurity.

yeah clockie clearly has a horrible judgement of character

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Since we're sharing, I can show off my newbie luck. Only just started during the Black Swan banner.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

They practically had characters look at the camera and say Tingyun might still be alive.

Yeah. Made that whole funeral scene really weird. Luofu was a mess.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

she's gonna show up and be so pissed off we sent a bunch of her stuff into space

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

someone awful. posted:

she's gonna show up and be so pissed off we sent a bunch of her stuff into space
She was behind on her payments anyway. Sort of like putting someone stuff out on the front lawn. Except, space.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Since we're sharing, I can show off my newbie luck. Only just started during the Black Swan banner.

I ran my numbers but I dont really understand what they mean.

What I did notice is that I got my only 5* character on the... intro warp? Newbie warp? Anyway not a banner.

Is the pity count different per-warp type, or shared between them?

Because I'd be sad if rolling the 5* creepy child character screwed what little pity I'd accrued before understanding how the system worked.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Annath posted:

What I did notice is that I got my only 5* character on the... intro warp? Newbie warp? Anyway not a banner.

Because I'd be sad if rolling the 5* creepy child character screwed what little pity I'd accrued before understanding how the system worked.

The newbie banner is limited to 50 warps and has its own guarantee, you're guaranteed a 5* in those 50 pulls. Note that you could totally have gotten more than one 5* if you were lucky but don't stress about it. It doesn't share pity with any other banner but it's better value than rolling on the general banner

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Annath posted:

The newbie warp, limited character warps, LC warps and the standard warp are all on different tracks. Limited characters and LCs share their pity between the two of each type available at the moment and roll over into future banners of the same type.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

someone awful. posted:

Listen, if she wanted to keep her stuff she shouldn't have allowed a cosmic entity to take over her identity.

But honestly, the way everything with Tingyun was handed made sense to me. There are people (mainly Yukong) hoping that she's alive, but there's no evidence for it, and for all they know the Tiingyun they knew was always Phantylia in disguise, so this is the best way they had to move on

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Even if that's the case, the playable Tingyun wouldn't be the real Tingyun either. She'd be the Tingyun that Phantylia was pretending to be.

I have no doubt that if there's a different Tingyun, she will be her own character. Maybe even a 5*.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ruby Prism posted:

Even if that's the case, the playable Tingyun wouldn't be the real Tingyun either. She'd be the Tingyun that Phantylia was pretending to be.

I have no doubt that if there's a different Tingyun, she will be her own character. Maybe even a 5*.

hell yea two for the price of one (name)

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ruby Prism posted:

She's going to be a Fire character. Fire is the home of rich women.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Ruby Prism posted:

Tingyun (True Form)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Annath posted:

ive been playing since public release and i solve this by basically not learning how pity works

pull the lever; head empty