Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: That Little Demon)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Cambria Bold posted:

Throwing in a request to look at Floating Runner: Quest for the 7 Crystals. A pre-Mario 64 platformer that I vaguely remember playing as a child and whose first level music has adamantly refused to leave my grey matter for literal decades despite the fact that I can only sometimes recall what this game is even called.

There's another obscure PS1 game from my childhood that I can't even remember the name of. I think you controlled a bunch of robot guys who rolled around on spheres doing races and destruction derby-type stuff Anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of or did I just hallucinate that one?

never heard of either of these, but I added Floating Runner to my list to play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
do Forsaken

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
lmfao, still in the era of wildly different box art..

USA: Looks dire as gently caress, I'll hate this

Japan:

drat, I'll try this lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Added!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol gun america

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

verbal enema posted:

lol gun america

lmao, but sadly, yes

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
PSX is the best system ever made. Period.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

That Little Demon posted:

Japan:

drat, I'll try this lol

bargain bin rear end cover art lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bargain bin rear end cover art lol

stopping belief in santa claus rear end gift lmfao

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Japan:

drat, I'll try this lol

Yeesh, I forgot the American boxart looked so...American-boxart-of-an-obscure-Japanese-import-y. I recall the in-game graphics definitely look a lot more like the Japanese boxart. It's honestly kinda charming.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Check this out lmfao

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

So addictive...it should be illegal!

god old video game boxart was so Cool. Remnants of a simpler time when the industry was still dousing itself in Axe and calling it a shower.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
its so sad lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Episode 28 is now live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6QOe1CVSMk

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Check this out lmfao

every time i saw this game at kmart i thought it was a horror game lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every time i saw this game at kmart i thought it was a horror game lol

of course, and why wouldn't you? it looks like loving hellraiser lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Still thinking about Gun Kid and how he deffo grew up to be a bitchass cop

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Live now with Team Buddies

https://twitch.tv/ritoru_demon

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Silent Bomber is an underrated masterpiece on PSX

its also a game I never heard of, not sure anyone has, and no one would buy it with this cover

lmfao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Silent Bomber is an underrated masterpiece on PSX

its also a game I never heard of, not sure anyone has, and no one would buy it with this cover

lmfao

lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
in a weird twist, its the exact same cover in japan... no wonder no one bought or heard of this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
no gun

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

only bomb

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Episode 29 is now live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKsjFDf-1Ic

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
NFL Blitz Now LIVE!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Haven’t played blitz in at least 1K years but arcadey football games are always way more fun than the more simulation oriented ones like madden. Blitz and tecmo bowl slap rear end. If you are into that kind of thing there is a modern arcadey one called Legend Bowl that is pretty fun, it’s on switch and some of the other platforms presumably. Not as fun as those classic ones but not bad

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Oh and while I’m thinking about it, you should add Vib Ribbon to your list. If I am remembering right you could use cds back in the day to rip your own music into the game so I’m not sure how that work on an emulator but it’s definitely interesting conceptually regardless.

Also you should play Tron Bonne

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That screen pass you took to the house against the bum rear end bears got me hyped up dog.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

That screen pass you took to the house against the bum rear end bears got me hyped up dog.

lmfao it was so sick, also I added those two games! Thanks!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Live again, with Sheep

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
that lost word - jurassic park game is worse than loving Bubsy 3D, unironically.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Episode 30 is now LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcd2wJs4Hf4

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
so at over 100 games played already, here is the current top 20

Full ranking found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QrBxkXhQ8yy0rQo0YQ4sL4EnyZ4S91lEnKeZuRJhnNM/edit#gid=0

Some reflections on my time playing PSX so far:

There are a lot of loving PSX games lol. I can't believe how many GOOD games I never played before are ranking so high. I am taking nostalgia, bias, rose-tinted glasses ect out of the equation here and judging these games on how they are today, current era.

I firmly believe that if a game was considered good 25 years ago, it should still be good today. If it isn't, I doubt it ever was good. Just my humble gamer opinion.

Things like Silent Bomber, Dr. Slump, Suziki Bakuhatsu and Akuji - The Heartless just to mention a few, are absolute must play games even today if you have any fondness for PSX style graphics, music, and gameplay.

All my VODs show off a good chuck on gameplay and my opinions on them in real time. For everyone who watches and follows the thread, thank you. I am always taking more suggestions and my suggestion list is getting thin, and I hate my loving wheel of misfortune that spins up the worst loving games for me.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Episode 31 is now live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hYJrxAMyk

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Play front mission 3

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Hello, please play Planet Laika, my favorite disaster. It was never officially localized, but an English fan translation was released a few years back. It is ridiculously awful and I love it so much.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Putting in recommendations for Top Shop and Battle Hunter.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
throwing out some more childhood nostalgia with Rayman 1, Monster Rancher 2, and Mega Man X4

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Hi all! thanks for stopping by! I will add those games now to my list. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

curlingiron posted:

Hello, please play Planet Laika, my favorite disaster. It was never officially localized, but an English fan translation was released a few years back. It is ridiculously awful and I love it so much.

I've heard of this... isn't it by quintet or something?