Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

grack posted:

And that's why I stab every Fist I see except Devella and Art Cullough! Also XP

I'm romancing Lae'zel in my current run and god drat did she just kick my rear end in the duel. It wasn't even close.

But did you pass the intimidation check with her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Just got this, perfect timing too because I have COVID and can dedicate the proper amount of time to exploring this. 25 hours and I'm still in act 1, it's real hard to focus.

First time through as a Sorcerer. I keep getting focused down and dying, so I should probably switch to draconic for the extra survivability. Not fun getting into the loop of being downed, helped up, and immediately shot after.

Respecced Shadowheart into Light so she can actually be useful, some of those light damage spells have great utility like making targets easier to hit, setting them up for Lae'zel.

Lae'zel is a beast. Great Weapon Master and Haste and then attacking over and over until the game tells me I'm out of actions.

I don't like Astarion that much, but his lockpicking has proved essential. Making him my team's sniper is okay. I really don't like stealth in turn-based games, and have been considering switching him out for Gale or Karlach.

I had Gale early on, but fell victim to the necrotic aura bug where he wiped out my party during and after a tough fight. Since I was new, I ended up burning a few revivify scrolls and it was a whole mess. He wasn't killed, just downed, because I hadn't ever considered revivify scrolls before that. Is there a mod that disables his Necrotic Aura and nothing else?

Yeah act 1 is very big. Plus you're lower level and still learning the game so you're going slower. As a very rough estimate I'd guess it's something like 35% act 1, 20% act 2, 45% act 3? If you do everything. If you think act 1 has a lot of poo poo going on, buckle up for act 3 lol.

I really enjoy respecing Astarion into an open hand monk with the tavern brawler feat (and eventually 3 levels of rogue thief for an extra bonus action). Although monk is not great until level 5 or so. Also I was recently reminded that "sneak attack" doesn't have to come from stealth despite the name. You can use it any time you have advantage, which includes someone else being in melee range of the enemy. So if Lae'zel is in the thick of it whaling on fools, you can sneak attack whoever is around her. This makes rogue feel less terrible. Because yeah, hiding and sneaking in this game sucks.

Casters are kind of bad at low levels so no harm gluing Gale to the bench imo. Especially since you are a sorcerer. Karlach makes an awesome throwing weapon barbarian, again with the tavern brawler feat. There's a great throwing weapon in the goblin camp, and several items in act 1 that buff throw damage. She's totally carrying my party at level 4.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

EorayMel posted:

But did you pass the intimidation check with her?

Yes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I managed to land hold person on her turn 1 which made the duel a joke.

Orin on the other hand I had to save scum like 20 times on my resist durge run. She would win initiative EVERY loving TIME even if I wore +initiative gear, and then kill my poor sorc in 1 round.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

grack posted:

I'm romancing Lae'zel in my current run and god drat did she just kick my rear end in the duel. It wasn't even close.

Always be sure she has a haste potion for this just to make clear who is in charge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Instead of casting Hold Person, we should be casting "hold person" *nods sagely, awaiting thunderous applause*

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Docjowles posted:

Yeah act 1 is very big. Plus you're lower level and still learning the game so you're going slower. As a very rough estimate I'd guess it's something like 35% act 1, 20% act 2, 45% act 3? If you do everything. If you think act 1 has a lot of poo poo going on, buckle up for act 3 lol.

On my first play file I had spent 2.5 hours in the game before even getting to the first tiefling camp because everything was so overwhelming.

I stopped with that save because I realized that I had accidentally made a durge, which I didn’t want for a first character.

Remade a half elf sorc and did a bunch of other stuff on the opening beach and still made it to the tiefling camp in like 2 hours.

I love the undead friend! It’s nice that the game gives you access to him in the camp so early in the game.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Instead of casting Hold Person, we should be casting "hold person" *nods sagely, awaiting thunderous applause*

:downsrim:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I love the undead friend! It’s nice that the game gives you access to him in the camp so early in the game.

withers is so wonderfully evil

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

withers is so wonderfully evil

"Are you going to explain further?"
"No"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Docjowles posted:

"Are you going to explain further?"
"No"

is there any way in game to find out who he actually is, like if you pass the paladin/cleric checks that I always fail?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The DC20 check will say something like you realize you are standing in the presence of a divine being and you can infer the rest from the in-game texts and notebooks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

is there any way in game to find out who he actually is, like if you pass the paladin/cleric checks that I always fail?

There are a couple things that STRONGLY imply he is the god Jergal. IIRC even just walking into the room one of my companions said "oh weird a shrine to <that guy>? How unusual". I am not aware of anything that out and out says "yes this is who he is" but it's definitely him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Docjowles posted:

There are a couple things that STRONGLY imply he is the god Jergal. IIRC even just walking into the room one of my companions said "oh weird a shrine to <that guy>? How unusual". I am not aware of anything that out and out says "yes this is who he is" but it's definitely him.

oh, I know who he actually is. I'm enough of a D&D nerd that I almost immediately went "wait a minute" and went and checked, and his identity is verified with some datamined stuff.

I love his ending scene where he scolds the dead three

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I really enjoy respecing Astarion into an open hand monk with the tavern brawler feat (and eventually 3 levels of rogue thief for an extra bonus action). Although monk is not great until level 5 or so. Also I was recently reminded that "sneak attack" doesn't have to come from stealth despite the name. You can use it any time you have advantage, which includes someone else being in melee range of the enemy. So if Lae'zel is in the thick of it whaling on fools, you can sneak attack whoever is around her. This makes rogue feel less terrible. Because yeah, hiding and sneaking in this game sucks.

Casters are kind of bad at low levels so no harm gluing Gale to the bench imo. Especially since you are a sorcerer. Karlach makes an awesome throwing weapon barbarian, again with the tavern brawler feat. There's a great throwing weapon in the goblin camp, and several items in act 1 that buff throw damage. She's totally carrying my party at level 4.

Oh I didn't realize I could sneak attack that way, much more useful.

That Karlach tech sounds awesome, but I killed the merchant that sold that pike so I'm out of luck. Unless I dual-class her into Eldritch Knight and get that Bound Weapon spell, but that seems like a lot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LifeLynx posted:

Yup it's mentioned before but there's a ring you can get from a vendor in Moonrise called the "Risky Ring" - every attack you make has advantage, but every attack against you has advantage as well. Astarion did work for me with that thing, sneak attack every turn.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

That Karlach tech sounds awesome, but I killed the merchant that sold that pike so I'm out of luck. Unless I dual-class her into Eldritch Knight and get that Bound Weapon spell, but that seems like a lot.

Fighter is actually a pretty sweet multi class on almost every martial class because of action surge. There are some very good throwing weapons in act 2 that don’t have the returning feature so that’s a decent time to dip into eldritch knight

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yup it's mentioned before but there's a ring you can get from a vendor in Moonrise called the "Risky Ring" - every attack you make has advantage, but every attack against you has advantage as well. Astarion did work for me with that thing, sneak attack every turn.

Disadvantage on saving throws, not on attacks against.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
It is very funny how Fighter is one of the best classes, if not the best class in this game. Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords continues to be vindicated in the annals of history.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

grack posted:

Disadvantage on saving throws, not on attacks against.

Ah yeah that's right, makes it even better.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Bruh I also assumed that was how it worked. It would still have been broken even if that WAS how it worked

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

Does this vendor not exist if Jaheira and co. die fighting at the entrance? Never saw this ring and it bums me out because half my strategy was giving Astarion advantage through various means so he could keep Sneak Attacking and this ring would have trivialized that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Risky Ring is sold by Araj Oblodra. She can't die unless you kill her yourself because she peaces out before the showdown at Moonrise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

Does this vendor not exist if Jaheira and co. die fighting at the entrance? Never saw this ring and it bums me out because half my strategy was giving Astarion advantage through various means so he could keep Sneak Attacking and this ring would have trivialized that.

Not sure, I went there first. It's the drow girl that wants a sample of your blood.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I really enjoy respecing Astarion into an open hand monk with the tavern brawler feat (and eventually 3 levels of rogue thief for an extra bonus action). Although monk is not great until level 5 or so.

he gets an extra 1d10 unarmed damage if you finish his quest evilly, making him by far the best monk. also, going to 4 rogue for the feat is worthwhile.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

The Risky Ring is sold by Araj Oblodra. She can't die unless you kill her yourself because she peaces out before the showdown at Moonrise.

Medullah posted:

Not sure, I went there first. It's the drow girl that wants a sample of your blood.

Ah well that explains it. The showdown was over by the time I went through the front entrance so I guess she was long gone.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
finally finished the drat game after putting it off for like three months after passing the endgame point of no return

although i went back and watched the "proper" ending, i couldnt resist having my "generally good-leaning, but readily willing to dispense with morality when there's power or money to be had" rogue tav concur with ascended astarion and say "yeah? you know what, gently caress it, im shankin the emperor and takin this brain for myself, nevermind that we hosed earlier" over selune-turned shadowheart's protests, with jaheira apparently giving no fucks in the background

ffff now i gotta do it all again with a durge run

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1770875283844837687?t=ozMQjx9eHC04kkEClb3rWQ&s=19

I wonder if WotC having fired everyone who worked with Larian on their end even before BG3 came out somehow soured relations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
DOS3 is gonna be so sick

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Noooo Swen I really wanted you to make the Lords of Avernus expansion I completely invented in my head. :negative:

But that's okay, I am smiling because it happened.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DLC would print money and there’s several obvious plot hooks for where it could go. Wild to see them walk away from that.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Docjowles posted:

DLC would print money and there’s several obvious plot hooks for where it could go. Wild to see them walk away from that.

it's good to see morals over money tbh

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"Swen Vincke posted:

"Greed has been loving this whole thing up for so long, since I started," Vincke said, while collecting the GDCA Best Narrative award for Baldur's Gate 3. "I've been fighting publishers my entire life and I keep on seeing the same, same, same mistakes over, and over and over.

"It's always the quarterly profits," he continued, "the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say 'poo poo I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken...

"You don't have to," Vincke went on. "You can make reserves. Just slow down a bit. Slow down on the greed. Be resilient, take care of the people, don't lose the institutional knowledge that's been built up in the people you lose every single time, so you have to go through the same cycle over and over and over. It really pisses me off."

Maybe related. Given on release their response to DLC it was "we'll think about it" and now it's "definitely not". I'd bet Hasbro/WotC burned their bridges with Larian by trying to dictate terms on future content.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if hasbro didn't want to pull a Disney and bring the next dnd game in house like they've done with mtg like 7 times

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hasbro doesn't kill the golden goose so much as tear it apart and say 'I don't get it, there were golden eggs in here'

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Noooo Swen I really wanted you to make the Lords of Avernus expansion I completely invented in my head. :negative:

But that's okay, I am smiling because it happened.

right. As far as I'm concerned BG3 was what I always thought a RPG could be and I'm just happy that it happened.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I don't trust them to go back to the crappy self made RPG systems they used for the D:OS games or any other original project so this is a big RIP for me.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Hopefully we get some fleshed-out modding tools so there can be some further player-made campaigns. I love the combat and characters, I'm just over the story since I've done it several times now. Sucks about no DLC.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Janissary Hop posted:

I don't trust them to go back to the crappy self made RPG systems they used for the D:OS games or any other original project so this is a big RIP for me.

the divinity systems were leaps and bounds ahead of any dungeons and dragons product tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Imagine being the fool who doesn't believe in Larian after DOS2 and BG3.