Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mulva posted:

It's not a loving brain teaser, the AI and scripting is a lot heavier than most titles, and it applies to every NPC in the game. Put a lot of them together, it slows the game down.

Do people not actually read posts any more is that the new bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The last several games I played that had horrible performance ran great on my machine despite people insisting that no, it was impossible, the game runs poorly for everyone here's some goober chart to disprove your lived experience, and that really sucks for their assmar but not mine.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Yeah, I think her arc was neat, especially with where the game goes. It was just less cool if you didn't cheese some metagame elements you risked getting a childbride or evil ending by completing her questline.
While I'm sad they reduced your ability to make hobbit sized arisen and pawns, removing kids was absolutely a good idea, especially with how moddable RE engine is.

E: on performance chat, I think part of it is also subjective. At one extreme some folks are okay as long as you don't dip down to Blighttown fps too often in combat, others are call games unplayable garbage if the number in the debug overlay drops below 100, and most folks are somewhere between there.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 21, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I reported several reviews on the character creator for being creepy pedo poo poo. No idea of steam ever removes poo poo on that basis but Jesus Christ surely stores and publishers don't want that poo poo next to their products.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there any preloading announced for DD2?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Drakenel posted:

I mean... where does this fall in that spectrum?

That's just a FF7 Rebirth moogle

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
No preload on PC. If you have slow internet, you lose.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

K8.0 posted:

RIP

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

K8.0 posted:

Serves me right for feeling smug about my monster rig, tbh.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finally my decision to invest in fiber Internet pays off. It's going to release at 1 AM over here so I don't have much time so I need to be able to fly into free as soon as possible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
So apparently total weight of your character does determine some things. Higher weight means you can carry more in your inventory, and vice versa. Lower weight means your stamina recovers more quickly, and vice versa.

Oh, and according to the release times it'll be coming 5 PM today on the west coast US. I hope whatever janky key shop I bought the code from makes it available to me then.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragons-dogma-2-global-release-times-confirmed

Khanstant posted:

The last several games I played that had horrible performance ran great on my machine despite people insisting that no, it was impossible, the game runs poorly for everyone here's some goober chart to disprove your lived experience, and that really sucks for their assmar but not mine.

That's generally my experience, especially since I play at 1080p with a locked vsync 60 fps. Most games run really well with some notable exceptions (Star Wars Jedi Survivor which by all accounts was an absolute loving disaster for literally everyone and they never fixed it).

I'm slightly concerned about this one though. I've got a quite old i7-8700k, and unfortunately that's about the best CPU my motherboard can run. I will be upgrading my board and CPU soonish, just hoping that I'm able to play this comfortably and it stays around 60 fps. I think I can get there, if necessary by tweaking some settings.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Play posted:

So apparently total weight of your character does determine some things. Higher weight means you can carry more in your inventory, and vice versa. Lower weight means your stamina recovers more quickly, and vice versa.

Oh, and according to the release times it'll be coming 5 PM today on the west coast US. I hope whatever janky key shop I bought the code from makes it available to me then.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragons-dogma-2-global-release-times-confirmed

That's generally my experience, especially since I play at 1080p with a locked vsync 60 fps. Most games run really well with some notable exceptions (Star Wars Jedi Survivor which by all accounts was an absolute loving disaster for literally everyone and they never fixed it).

I'm slightly concerned about this one though. I've got a quite old i7-8700k, and unfortunately that's about the best CPU my motherboard can run. I will be upgrading my board and CPU soonish, just hoping that I'm able to play this comfortably and it stays around 60 fps. I think I can get there, if necessary by tweaking some settings.

I have the same processor and from what I can tell from the PCgamer benchmarks the game will have no issues hitting 60 fps out of town but will probably drop to 30-ish average FPS in town

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mulva posted:

It's not a loving brain teaser, the AI and scripting is a lot heavier than most titles, and it applies to every NPC in the game. Put a lot of them together, it slows the game down.

Yes, that's the official line. But absolutely nothing I've seen in my 25 hours is so next level poo poo that mere mortal computers just can't handle it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes, that's the official line. But absolutely nothing I've seen in my 25 hours is so next level poo poo that mere mortal computers just can't handle it.

Obviously it's a conspiracy then, instead of a simple magnitude issue /s

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 21, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I have the same processor and from what I can tell from the PCgamer benchmarks the game will have no issues hitting 60 fps out of town but will probably drop to 30-ish average FPS in town

Honestly that's probably fine, as long as it's not frequently plunging and then rising back up. Lower fps isn't a big deal, big loving stutters definitely are though.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean that line is definitely true according to the testing. It is CPU limited. Whether they optimized that aspect as well as they could've, well probably not.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

K8.0 posted:

With how long it takes to unpack preloaded games now, I'm not even sure it makes much of a difference.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

FWIW:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That is not what I was hoping to hear. Jedi Survivor had so much loving stuttering I eventually quit the game

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I will be at work until 11:30pm PST, but at least I can use the steam app to remote download this while I’m at work so it’s ready fit me when I get home.

Also these frame stuttering issues frighten me, makes me sad. I’m good with 30fps even though my PC should be able to do it at 60, but I’d really prefer to not have to deal with stuttering. I know bad performance was part of the jankiness when I played the original on PS3 so in a way it will feel retro, but I just know it’s going to make me worry that the game will crash every time it happens.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Frames drop in packs, Arisen.

(Man, I i really hope my i9-9900 can keep up on this. If it's bad in cities, well, I guess I'll be doing everything I can to avoid having to stock up frequently.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Play posted:

Hmm on the other hand I feel like I cheat away inventory weight in games that have it the first time I have to weight manage and it's not contributing to a game loop I enjoy. Hard to pass up stamina increases in any case, Zelda and darks souls I go all in on endurance until I don't have to worry about the green meters anymore.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Hmm on the other hand I feel like I cheat away inventory weight in games that have it the first time I have to weight manage and it's not contributing to a game loop I enjoy. Hard to pass up stamina increases in any case, Zelda and darks souls I go all in on endurance until I don't have to worry about the green meters anymore.

Yeah I think I'll just go somewhere in the middle. Inventory management was a reasonably large pain in the first game, running out constantly is not fun. But stamina is all important in battle. There are useables that restore stamina, thankfully and if it's like the first game you'll eventually have a lot of that. Also, armor feeds into carry weight so if you want to wear really strong, heavy armor a heavier weight is probably better.

I'll probably make my pawn pretty large, they can be my beast of burden.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I couldnt really go through ever post. Anyone already got their key from GMG? Am I the last guy on the planet to get mah game or is it normal that keys dont go out before the release?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

madfury posted:

I couldnt really go through ever post. Anyone already got their key from GMG? Am I the last guy on the planet to get mah game or is it normal that keys dont go out before the release?

You’re not alone! I’m waiting for my key from GMG still. Stay strong friend.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's also worth noting that FSR3 really works on the PC version. My game is now running smoothly in the wilderness at the default settings (mostly high) at 1440P. Ryzen 5600x + RTX 3080. You should be good.
Are you referring to framegen? Everything I can find indicates that the game doesn't support any kind of frame generation, even DLSS 3. If you just mean upscaling, then why not use DLSS given that you have an Nvidia card?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

Obviously it's a conspiracy then, instead of a simple magnitude issue

Programmers are not perfect. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy or a magnitude thing. You have a limited amount of time to work on a game before you have to get it out the door and optimization is not always the top priority.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

from the sounds of it the keys aren't allowed to get distributed until near when the game is unlocked, which doesn't make sense given how the packages are handled on steam - but that's where we are

looking forward to flying into free soon

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
GMG has confirmed keys go out at release time and no sooner for DD2. Fanatical said about the same a few days ago.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No pre-loading for Steam, either. It's going to be a good old-fashioned :f5:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Many streamers have access now, Cohh hasn't seen any of the frame time issues but he also has a fully murdered out compuer

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Watch GeForce now have the best performance lol.

Btw they actually offer a day pass for the premium tier for testing purposes: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/#product-matrix

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

(Man, I i really hope my i9-9900 can keep up on this. If it's bad in cities, well, I guess I'll be doing everything I can to avoid having to stock up frequently.)

Sup fellow i9-9900 friend. We’ll find out together. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Watch GeForce now have the best performance lol.

Btw they actually offer a day pass for the premium tier for testing purposes: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/#product-matrix

yeah ive been joking about this and i'm curious to see the performance lol

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It's the RE engine as well, right? There will probably be some optimization coming along. It's optimized for dumb zombies and a bunch of angry monsters in smaller areas now and I'm betting Capcom wants to optimize the hell out of large areas for the upcoming open-world monster hunter.

acksplode posted:

Monster Hunter Rise is already on RE engine
Yeah, MH World as well. Both have confined spaces with monsters that phase in and out of the maps. The upcoming one is rumoured to have a big open world with dynamic wild-life, and this feels like a test-bed for that.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 21, 2024

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Muffinlord posted:

:eyepop:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. I hosed around with the character creator for about 20 minutes last night and found myself completely overwhelmed. Guess I'll have to try again when I have more mental bandwidth.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I think I've settled on my Arisen/Main Pawn choices:

Arisen

there are going to be so many Shart pawns on the server

Main Pawn

Other contenders

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 21, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

acksplode posted:

That was also made with the Nintendo Switch in mind though. But Capcom seems intent on making it work across multiple platforms. They even have Village running on iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I kind of want to play an archer for the special arrow use. Unless there is some way to change arrows used by pawns on the fly.