Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Let's talk about some real news that could shake the core of the MLB

https://twitter.com/RaysPR/status/1770843255019565105

1...2...3.... Joe rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"Nobody sits like Rock sits. You rock, Rock. Rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need."

Too bad he's not a bench player.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

man, I thought the Boat Man would have a shot at making it this year, although I guess if he's on the 40 he can't really be sent down again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Let's talk about some real news that could shake the core of the MLB

https://twitter.com/RaysPR/status/1770843255019565105

Rockies FO looking at last year's performers and taking the obvious answer away: More people with the last name "Jones" are what they need.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

man, I thought the Boat Man would have a shot at making it this year, although I guess if he's on the 40 he can't really be sent down again.

He typically has an amazing spring then falls off hard doesn't he?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

there would have to be SEVERAL disasters for Bote to return to the major league roster.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If Bote cant get regular playing time we ought to trade him. He has the tools to play somewhere in the MLB but there just isn't a great option for him on the Cubs right now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

If Bote cant get regular playing time we ought to trade him. He has the tools to play somewhere in the MLB but there just isn't a great option for him on the Cubs right now.

too expensive. He's gonna finish out this contract (I think he has a buyout after this season) and go somewhere else for league min

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

too expensive. He's gonna finish out this contract (I think he has a buyout after this season) and go somewhere else for league min

I would think the Cubs could eat his salary if they can get something in return. His salary is a loss if he's spending his time on the bench anyways.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

live with fruit posted:

"Nobody sits like Rock sits. You rock, Rock. Rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need."

Too bad he's not a bench player.

I heart this

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How long have teams been putting up pronunciation guides for their rosters with the players pronouncing their names?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Counsell sending Smyly to the pen even with Taillon's injury. Wicks and Assad rounding out the rotation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Assad in the rotation is good

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

howe_sam posted:

How long have teams been putting up pronunciation guides for their rosters with the players pronouncing their names?

At least a couple of years.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
MLB N/V : SAY IT AINT SHOHEI

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

live with fruit posted:

At least a couple of years.

Nice, it's a cool and good thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

Yeah he seems like a solid backend guy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

when Counsell considers not putting Assad in the rotation

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

bawfuls posted:

Ippei is American, he was born here and grew up in the LA area. He went to UC Riverside. If anything he can probably be more anonymous in LA than in Japan.

Multiple things online say he was born in Japan. Wikipedia, for what it's worth, says born in Hokkaido on New Year's Eve 1984.

Father moved the family to the Los Angeles area circa 1991 (so he'd have been 6 and change at the time), and then from there what you said about UC Riverside and all.

Read that he worked for the Red Sox, then translated in the NPB in Japan, then ofc back to the States with Shohei and the Angels.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I must have misremembered that bit but yeah he spent most of his adolescence in the US

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

Counsell sending Smyly to the pen even with Taillon's injury. Wicks and Assad rounding out the rotation.

Hell yeah, love the soft tossing change-up goon and the no strikeout contact king.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

davecrazy posted:

MLB N/V : SAY IT AINT SHOHEI

MLB N/V: SHOHEI THE MONEY

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Was telling my mom about the story and she asked what his citizenship is, as Japan doesn't allow dual... officially, at least.

Seems like there is some sort of don't ask, don't tell policy where they don't bother to enforce the rules. But I would think a situation like this would prompt them to revoke/rescind such an unwritten rule.

I'm guessing he's still a Japanese citizen, she seems to think he's US. (my family lived in Japan for 3 years in the late 80s / early 90s and I kinda got the impression that most Japanese living overseas just retain their Japanese citizenship... might be different when you move over at age 6, tho)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hell yeah, love the soft tossing change-up goon and the no strikeout contact king.

I think I'd only seen photos of Wicks mid-pitch before and having just looked him up to see why you called him a goon: lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

when Counsell considers not putting Assad in the rotation

lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

there would have to be SEVERAL disasters for Bote to return to the major league roster.

T-t-triple post but yeah it's this. Bote's being paid too much for other teams to want to trade for him, his contract situation is such that if he comes up he has to *stay* up or can refuse being outrighted while keeping his salary, and he's not really good enough to justify a permanent 26-man spot this year. Theoretically the Cubs could eat his salary and trade him somewhere but they'd get basically nothing back and it would rob them of IF depth. He's gonna wallow for another season in Iowa only coming up if like six other guys ahead of him all go down at the same time, and then hit FA next year and probably get picked up on a league minimum deal. Sucks but also he's making $5M this year so I can't feel too bad for him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

One disappointment is that we're not getting the Oops! All Lefties and Kyle Hendricks rotation.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Multiple things online say he was born in Japan. Wikipedia, for what it's worth, says born in Hokkaido on New Year's Eve 1984.

Father moved the family to the Los Angeles area circa 1991 (so he'd have been 6 and change at the time), and then from there what you said about UC Riverside and all.

Read that he worked for the Red Sox, then translated in the NPB in Japan, then ofc back to the States with Shohei and the Angels.

Yeah the Japanese government is prrrrrobably not going to be arresting a Japanese-born citizen just to ship him to the U.S. for a crime committed there, especially in light of recent events (see: Bauer, Trevor)

If he ever flies to the U.S. though there'll be federal agents waiting for him on the tarmac.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My sources tell me that the dastardly criminal Ohtani may be on a plane back to the United States this very moment

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Popete posted:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's lived the majority of his life in the US, odds are he is or will be soon back in the US not in Japan. Ippei is not (yet) the target of the federal investigation, he's not going to be arrested immediately upon arrival. I'm sure the feds who are investigating the illegal bookmaking ring will want to interview him now and their scope may expand to include him soon, but that hasn't happened yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They should make Ohtani go play like Tennis for a year so everyone forgets about his gambling like they did with MJ.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

He's lived the majority of his life in the US, odds are he is or will be soon back in the US not in Japan. Ippei is not (yet) the target of the federal investigation, he's not going to be arrested immediately upon arrival. I'm sure the feds who are investigating the illegal bookmaking ring will want to interview him now and their scope may expand to include him soon, but that hasn't happened yet.

Yeah in these cases don't the actual bettors get plea deals in return for testifying against the actual bookmakers? I doubt the FBI is super-interested in prosecuting random shmoes who thought Uncut Gems was aspirational.

EDIT: also if Ippei is still a Japanese citizen there's gotta be almost 0 chance they would extradite him over what is effectively a paperwork violation.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

he's a dead man walking and he and shohei should avoid returning to america for the forseeable future, the IRS has had ENOUGH

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Poque posted:

MLB N/V: SHOHEI THE MONEY

MLB N/V: SHOHEI BET THE OHVERTANI

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

They should make Ohtani go play like Tennis for a year so everyone forgets about his gambling like they did with MJ.

Go full circle and put him in the G league

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shohei's wife is apparently a professional basketball player in Japan, so maybe she can train him

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

My sources tell me that the dastardly criminal Ohtani may be on a plane back to the United StatesToronto this very moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I hope the one two punch of his wife telling him he can't play as many video games and spending 4.5M on his friends gambling debts puts him so deep in the doghouse he hits .092 and opts out and signs a 10 year contract with the Cubs