Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

this post was created in a lab to make redditors mad and shouldn't be engaged with in good faith
oh come on, I've known people that admitted to doing this exact thing, maybe just not constantly like Lydia here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

drat that sucks. couple of my friends got married a couple years ago and they did the ren-fair/fantasy theme for clothing and most of the attendees were on board with it. some folks were mostly conventionally attired but still had some accoutrements. it was a lot of fun.

That's why I think there's missing info, I feel it's pretty weird that most people wouldn't like to have a bit of fun with it.
It sounds like most of her guests said no so either her friends and family suck, or she's giving really unreasonable requests.

I recently dressed up as a hobbit for a lotr themed bday and it was pretty goofy :shrug:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for telling my husband that he needs to "hurry the hell up" because I'm tired of staying with his mother?

quote:

My husband and I closed on a property 8 days ago in his home state and before we moved in, he wanted to do a deep clean. I'm highly allergic to bleach and we have a 1 month old baby so our son and myself couldn't be in the home while he did this. He asked his mother if we could stay there and she was fine with it. But he keeps prolonging the process. He said it would only be a day of deep cleaning (it was a fairly new house so it wasn't filthy or in need of repair). He has literally only done two rooms because he keeps finding new tasks that he wants to complete before we move in. Like replacing the carpet or installing a new shower because the one in the home was "outdated" (the home was built in 2019).

The issue is that I've grown to absolutely hate his mother during this time period. His sister also lives here and I'm 2 seconds from snapping on her as well (she's 32 and kid free) because she keeps pulling the "I'm really concerned that you have PPD, let me take the baby when you go get help" talk, when in all actuality, I'm getting pissed off and irritable because they won't leave me or my baby alone. Like his mom has come in to the guest room 4 times at 5:30-6am and waking me up saying "I'm going to take the baby so you can sleep" even though the baby was sleeping. Telling me to let my kid "cry it out" because if not, I'm going to spoil him. Putting food in front of me that I hate (spaghetti, Salisbury steak, etc) and giving me a clipped "eat" and if I say I don't like that food, I get a "tough poo poo, you need to eat". His sister even stood over me yesterday saying she would "force feed me" if she had to". And then they make comments like "what would you even do without our village helping you?" (The "village" being them and their "help"). I'm nonconfrontational usually but this morning I snapped and told them they needed to back off because they are starting to really get on my last nerve and now its awkward here.

Well, 2 hours ago my husband calls and says "I think I'm going to replace this light fixture, I can't get it clean the way I would like". At this point I told him to hurry the hell up because I'm done staying with his mother. I would gladly take my savings and go to a hotel at this point if it meant that I don't have to be near these people. Now he's upset with me because his mom "means well" and they are "just trying to help" and he's asking me to just ignore them to save the family dynamic because he hasn't seen them in 8 years and he doesn't want to soil the family dynamic because he wants to be involved with his family. But at this point, I hate this family. They aren't helping and I've told them this much and now they are just trying to to diagnose me with PPD and tell me I need psychiatric help. AITA?

ETA: I don't know anyone in the area. It says there's no available drivers in my area for Uber and Ride Shares. My vehicle is still in our last state and we were supposed to go grab it and the remainder of our stuff after moving in to our home, so right now I'm solely reliant on him and his vehicle but he's gone from like 5am to 11pm working on the house; just to get absolutely nothing done. Cleaning with bleach was HIS idea because he's under the impression nothing gets properly cleaned unless you use bleach, despite me telling him otherwise.

quote:

My husband is currently the only one with a vehicle here. The plan was to go back to our old home (3 hours away) and grab the rest of our stuff - which includes my vehicle, after we moved in. So I am depending on him for rides anywhere but he's literally gone from 5am to 11pm working on that house so I'm here constantly, being the only one dealing with his family, so I don't think he gets it. I did look for Uber or ride sharing options but the only one I'm finding says "no available drivers in your area". I'm in the deep woods of Maine right now. I don't know anyone so I have no help. He doesn't want me staying at a hotel because the nearest hotel is an hour and 20 minutes away from our new home so "if anything happens I won't be able to get to you".

quote:

Maine

Oh dear, OP has found herself in the middle of a Stephen King novel.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

drat that sucks. couple of my friends got married a couple years ago and they did the ren-fair/fantasy theme for clothing and most of the attendees were on board with it. some folks were mostly conventionally attired but still had some accoutrements. it was a lot of fun.

yeah that seems to be the tack they're taking? they aren't making you come i full on nobility/peasant gear or whatever just make the mild effort to throw on a thing or two, it's not like they're doing loving steampunk.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for telling my husband that he needs to "hurry the hell up" because I'm tired of staying with his mother?

how long until it's "oh dang, found some mold, guess i'll have to tear down the house and rebuild it from scratch"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

If the invitations basically say "thou muſt in olde timey clothes dreſs oneſelf, leſt ye be refuſed entry", then of course people aren't going to be happy: they now have a non-trivial chore to do, which isn't much fun for people not into the whole cosplay thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grey Cat posted:

I mean people should be allowed to dress in a way that makes them comfortable, it's not like going to a renfaire you legally have to dress up.
Last wedding I went to I wore a vest and tie not a dress or skirt. Nobody cares. I feel like we're missing a lot of info on how she handled this.
I feel like I would rather just dress up the bridal party, and let everyone else dress normally (as most people do at ren faires, like you said) than push everyone to do costumes that will mostly be crap.

The thought of asking my uncles to wear poet shirts is just mortifying.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My wife took me to a Pride and Prejudice themed event where most people's costumes looked like Spirit Halloween pirate outfits. To be fair I was supposed to be Mr Darcy from that scene where he swims in the lake but it ended up looking more like a revolutionary storming the Winter Palace in most photos.

The costumes would not have looked anywhere as good as the couple imagines they have done and putting in the effort to at least deck out the wedding party in some top level gear would have paid off more.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's no big deal, just me being isolated with no way to escape for 18 hours a day, with people who are casting aspersions on my mental state to separate me and my child.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The_Franz posted:

If the invitations basically say "thou muſt in olde timey clothes dreſs oneſelf, leſt ye be refuſed entry", then of course people aren't going to be happy: they now have a non-trivial chore to do, which isn't much fun for people not into the whole cosplay thing.

quote:

EDIT: One of the 'low budget options' was things like a normal floral spring/summer dress many people would already own, with the addition of like a flower crown or belt or something. It went up from there. For more masculine stuff it was like a linen shirt with a piece of fabric tied around your waist or a belt. It's quite lowkey and I'm not super strict about it, just not things like a cocktail dress or a bodycon dress or a formal suit and tie.

idk about you but that sounds a hell of a lot more trivial and easier to do than getting together some formal horseshit like a tux or nice suit, at least for my poor millenial rear end

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I am sorta on the guests side for that one. I'd rather buy someone a present for them to start their new life, than an outfit I might feel ridiculous in and never wear again, even if it's cheap it's taking up space on the closet and a chore to get rid of.

I feel like you can ask guests to adhere to a certain dress code, but the specificity where in one is sending picture guides is bridal party poo poo, not stuff you put on all your guests.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Kitfox88 posted:

idk about you but that sounds a hell of a lot more trivial and easier to do than getting together some formal horseshit like a tux or nice suit, at least for my poor millenial rear end

I have interview clothes, I don't have an 1800s judge wig and would be very mad if I had to find one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just show up wearing an enormous codpiece

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

haveblue posted:

And just the codpiece

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WIBTA if I tell my friend her son is not welcome to stay in my house unless he is responsible for himself?

quote:

For context: My (F31) best friend (F31) is a single mom of a 14 year old boy. She has low contact with her parents because they kicked her out when she got pregnant in High School, so she doesn’t have a big support system. We are really close and I’ve always done what I could to help her, her son is my nephew, not in blood, but in every way that counts,

She does everything for her son. I mean everything. He doesn’t even pick up his plate from the table after he finishes eating, she does it for him. While I personally don’t think this is a good way to raise a child, I never gave her my opinion, she never asked for it, it’s not my business how she decided to raise her child and I’m not a mom so how can I give parenting advice?

Last week my friend had to take a 2 business trip and had another one schedule for next week. She asked me if her son could stay at my house the days she is out of town, because she doesn’t feel comfortable leaving him alone in their house. I agreed and he stayed with me for 2 days last week.

The 2 days were a frustrating experience for the both of us because he kept expecting me to do everything for him, including: packing his back for school, picking up his clothes whenever he dropped them, serving him cereal in the morning, washing his dishes, and waking him up in the morning to go to school. He even blamed me because he missed the school bus because I didn’t make sure he woke up after his alarm rang. I heard his alarm and assumed he was awake.

I’m not eager to repeat this experience. I love that child but he is too old for this I think. BesidesI have a demanding job. I don't have time or energy to be the maid/babysitter of a teenage boy even if it’s just two days.

I’m thinking about telling my friend that if she wants her son to stay with me next week he has to be responsible for himself. I can promise to cook him 3 meals a day, and I can make sure he is up for school, but he needs to pick up his own clothes, pack his own bags, and wash his own dishes, Otherwise he cannot stay. I don’t feel this is unreasonable, but I feel kinda bad putting these conditions because she doesn’t have a big support system, and if I don’t let him stay at my house it’ll be really hard for her to find somewhere else to drop him off. WIBTA?

Not all fail sons come from rich families

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I am sorta on the guests side for that one. I'd rather buy someone a present for them to start their new life, than an outfit I might feel ridiculous in and never wear again, even if it's cheap it's taking up space on the closet and a chore to get rid of.

I feel like you can ask guests to adhere to a certain dress code, but the specificity where in one is sending picture guides is bridal party poo poo, not stuff you put on all your guests.

I guess it doesn't help that she actually called it the "low budget/effort" category in her invitation.

quote:

We included photos, descriptions, budget categories that went from how to DIY a costume using old/thrifted clothes to just straight out buying something online. We also asked people to reach out if they had any worries so we could work something out.

Like who wants to end up in the "budget category"? Also I'm gonna guess that people made it out to be a bigger deal than it actually was just because she made it mandatory and gave out detailed instructions. And inviting people to contact them if in doubt just make it sound really strict and non-negotiable, even if their intention was good to begin with.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like I would rather just dress up the bridal party, and let everyone else dress normally (as most people do at ren faires, like you said) than push everyone to do costumes that will mostly be crap.

The thought of asking my uncles to wear poet shirts is just mortifying.

My sister did a renaissance wedding. We all wore garb in the bridal party (so many layers). Guests had no mandatory dress code. About half the guests wore regular wedding clothes, about half of them dressed up. It was a ton of fun - people could learn renaissance dances, there were craft tables and a costuming area for people who wore normal clothes but wanted to dress up to get their picture. People wearing polo shirts and slacks instead of tunics and tights didn't make it any less enjoyable.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Shanghaied posted:

I guess it doesn't help that she actually called it the "low budget/effort" category in her invitation.

Like who wants to end up in the "budget category"? Also I'm gonna guess that people made it out to be a bigger deal than it actually was just because she made it mandatory and gave out detailed instructions. And inviting people to contact them if in doubt just make it sound really strict and non-negotiable, even if their intention was good to begin with.

Yeh, It's less what it is and more how they handled it. They basically said, you need to dress like this to attend, here's a guide to stick within, and then a disingenuous 'come to us with any questions'. That's not sincere, and everyone knows it. It's basically closing to the door to discussion and making it so the guests would have to fully challenge the wedding couple on this, and no one wants to cause a stink about someone else's wedding expectations. I would have to really like them, to RSVP yes at receiving the Ren Faire outfit guide.

And I like dressing up in weird outfits, but the moment you're treating just guests like this I get worried about how the rest of the event will be like and what the consequences of failing to stay 'within the guide' will turn out to be.

Especially bold since Ren Faire poo poo is the bastard child of nerdery wherein there's no real boundaries for what it means outside of make it sorta ye olden timey/dungeons & dragons-esque clothing. Corsets and turkey legs...it's like all of fantasy just gets lumped in together in one big melting pot, and then we all say HUZZAH.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 21, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

WIBTA if I tell my friend her son is not welcome to stay in my house unless he is responsible for himself?

Not all fail sons come from rich families

This is just cartman, what the gently caress

I am not saying this story is fake but that just sounds like the op is describing Eric cartman and why the gently caress is that something a child can be in tyool 2024 :psyduck:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for telling my son to pay back the money he spent on his online girlfriend?

quote:

I(45M) have a son(16M) that loves to play video games. I purchased him a Playstation 5 for his birthday last year and he plays online with friends. He's been telling me that he has been chatting online with a girl(15F) and they have slowly started dating. They don't talk over the microphone as hers broke and he has no idea what she looks like. I told him to be careful on what he sends her and to not give her any personal information.

My son has his own credit card with a limit on it and I told him to not go over the limit and only use it for emergencies. I got the credit card bill for this month and there were charges repeatedly for the game he plays in charges of $50-100. I was furious as he gets gift cards for the games for his birthday and Christmas. I approached him with the bill and asked him what the charges were. He told me that his girlfriend wanted new stuff for the game and would break up with him if he didn't purchase them.

I told him that I would pay the charges and that he would have to pay me back the money. I told him that there were many jobs that would hire him. He got angry with me that he wouldn't have time to work as he plays sports and school. I told him that if I was able to balance working and school, he would have no problem doing it. I took his credit card away.

He's not speaking to me now only if it's in regards to being picked up or needing a ride to see his friends. He's mad that I'm making him pay the money back and get a job.

AITA for telling my son to pay back the money he spent on his online girlfriend?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

No, tell him to pay back the money he spent on his online boyfriend

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

deoju posted:

WTF is a "child support company?" Some agency that manages payments? I've never heard of such a thing. Seems ripe as gently caress for scummy exploitation.

Yeah if you don't pay your poo poo you end up having to pay through the state / wage garnishment instead of just writing a check to your ex. Then the cool part is they tack on fees so you gotta pay an extra % for administration. I'm sure some states have privatized it so the politicians failson has something to do and a way to be successful. It's surely regulated as to how much fees get added but yeah.

But always pay your government ordered obligations people.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

rotinaj posted:

No, tell him to pay back the money he spent on his online boyfriend

I have no mic, no cameras, also I'm 15. Money please!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't get a job, I won't have time for sports and school and getting scammed in videogames!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
MoooooOOOOOooom can't you just pay money to my catfish and stop being such a drag!!!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Definitely sounds like a scammer, but on the other hand I feel a scammer could do better than a 16 yo with no money. Don't romance scammer usually target lonely boomers?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

From an otherwise boring Telegraph article:

I can't decide whether "hey honey ask your bestie if she's up for discreetly loving me" is an insane power move or a truly fabulous level of incompetence.

She probably closed up shop because he's a huge useless idiot. She can't be bothered to open the shop if she's tired from keeping the house up and his idea of helping is lifting is feet while she runs the Dyson around.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Shanghaied posted:

Definitely sounds like a scammer, but on the other hand I feel a scammer could do better than a 16 yo with no money. Don't romance scammer usually target lonely boomers?

I mean it could just be a another kid scamming him. Doesn't need to be some large operation, 15yo boy learns about a kid online having their own credit card, catfish, get vbucks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shanghaied posted:

A mark who bites is still better than your preferred target demographic mark who doesn't

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Shanghaied posted:

Catfish will target anyone naive enough to believe they're developing a relationship virtually and willing to send the money. Old Boomer Facebook folks and gaming teens are unfortunately easy targets, if what you need is gullibility.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Hmmm I guess. Plus I guess a lot of boomer money is hoovered up by Donald Trump nowadays. You just can't compete with the Big Guy.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

deoju posted:

WTF is a "child support company?" Some agency that manages payments? I've never heard of such a thing. Seems ripe as gently caress for scummy exploitation.

some states instead of doing their federal duty offload alot of poo poo to shady / scummy companies. sometimes the companies are actually better then the state but most of the time child support is handled by the same office as snap with different workers.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

I have no mic, no cameras, also I'm 15. Money please!

One of the people I knew who was way too into MMOs would always play female characters for exactly this reason. All they had to do was go "TEE HEE ~*HI BOYZ*~" and horny losers would give them free stuff.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The_Franz posted:

One of the people I knew who was way too into MMOs would always play female characters for exactly this reason. All they had to do was go "TEE HEE ~*HI BOYZ*~" and horny losers would give them free stuff.

That's why I always loudly announce "Guy Gamer here. Don't hit on me, silly girls." at the start of any game online. Gotta play hard to get, you know.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Lone Badger posted:

She should lean into it and say that yes she absolutely turned her cousin gay and people should be careful how they speak to her if they ever want grandkids.

Me when you say that I turned my cousin gay:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
More AAM:

quote:

My former manager has a story of being a relatively junior woman with a male boss, and in the way that often happens, she got asked to do a lot of admin things that weren’t supposed to be part of her job and that her male peers weren’t asked to do.

On one occasion, she was asked to book a hotel for her boss. Which she did, uncomplainingly. She found him a hotel very close to the relevant venue… but it was the kind of hotel that’s more usually booked by the hour than for the night. Her boss never asked her to do admin tasks again.

Reminds me of a story about someone whose boss asked her to hem a few pairs of pants for him since she knew how to sew. She sewed the bottoms of the pants shut and returned them to him cheerfully saying that she hoped she'd done a good job. It's not difficult to remove machine stitching with a five-dollar seam ripper, but most people don't know that, so her boss could well have considered those pairs of pants ruined.

quote:

DEAR ABBY: My son and his fiancée are getting married next month. They’re calling it an elopement, but although they have been telling everyone when and where the wedding is, they are not formally inviting anyone. I have come to terms with that. I realize the day is about them, not me. However, this is my only child, and I have always dreamed about being part of this milestone in his life.

I’m sure this is his fiancée’s choice and he is just going along with what she wants, but it is hurting me terribly to not be there. They have also decided a reception in their honor will be held six months afterward. Who does this? Is this proper etiquette? -- BROKEN-HEARTED MOTHER

DEAR MOTHER: The rigid rules of etiquette have loosened considerably in recent years. Many younger people prefer the casual over the formal. Please don’t lay the sole blame on your soon-to-be daughter-in-law without first discussing this with your son, because you may be shocked to learn this nontraditional wedding is happening with his enthusiastic blessing. If that’s the case, quietly let go of your “dream.”

As to not being with your son on this special day, if you haven’t received a formal invitation, SHOW UP WITH A SMILE ANYWAY and offer your services as a witness. Those who attend the wedding should be invited to the reception, and if they attend the reception, they should come with a gift in hand.

A future estranged parent, unless they can get it together

DemoneeHo posted:

Wait until the husband is there, take the car, go someplace else, don't tell him where

If possible go to the house and change the locks

haveblue posted:

I met somebody at a Renaissance Faire once who did historically accurate German Landsknecht and he had made himself a codpiece that made it difficult for him to sit at a table. Not first-season Blackadder level but pretty close. And accurate.

Bonster posted:

My sister did a renaissance wedding. We all wore garb in the bridal party (so many layers). Guests had no mandatory dress code. About half the guests wore regular wedding clothes, about half of them dressed up. It was a ton of fun - people could learn renaissance dances, there were craft tables and a costuming area for people who wore normal clothes but wanted to dress up to get their picture. People wearing polo shirts and slacks instead of tunics and tights didn't make it any less enjoyable.

That sounds awesome. And yes to the layers.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 21, 2024

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Kurieg posted:

AITA for telling my brother that he shouldn’t bring his wife to our dads funeral

Later, at the funeral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dib3VAs8M&t=6s

Seth edit: eh, the tiniest :nws: better safe than sorry

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/bnonews/status/1764781238550680002?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Yeah this was the big example that happened recently with catfishing, with the victim being in their 60s

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for giving my wedding guests a dress code?

This one is interesting because she specifically says that she asked for no gifts and that guests should keep their money or could spend that money on outfits for themselves if they need.

You can throw together a Renfaire-like outfit for under $100, or if you want to be elaborate, you can rent one from a costume shop.

My favorite thing is that there is a guy in the comments arguing "You're the rear end in a top hat. A dress code is okay if its for something like black tie, but not this!" Because clearly everyone has black tie attire ready to go at a moments notice.

The_Franz posted:

Going to any wedding is a chore. These people can get over themselves.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think if you have a wedding theme you do that with the wedding party, officiants, performers, and selected guests who want to, you don't enforce a cosplay dress code on everybody.