Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tokyo Vice: Still Good. I was slightly let down by the cliffhanger ending but looked it up and there are 10 episodes in S2 as opposed to 8 in S1 so two more to go!

We finally got the wrap around to the first scene of the whole show too which was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

X-Men 97 = cool and good
My only regret is not waiting to watch it on Saturday morning

It's cool that they let Morph get abilities of the people he shapeshifts to... I was like, why you bringing this drat fool to fight a bunch of giant robots

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

zoux posted:

I know everyone hates Joss Whedon but his run on Astonishing X-men does the coolest poo poo with Cyclops of any run, imo.

I’ll be a Scott/Emma Stan til the day I die because of that run.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Cyclops has two ways of activating his visor, the button on the side and touch controls in his gloves.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sumo posted:

X-Men 97 = cool and good
My only regret is not waiting to watch it on Saturday morning

It's cool that they let Morph get abilities of the people he shapeshifts to... I was like, why you bringing this drat fool to fight a bunch of giant robots

It seems like only purely physical abilities, though. Like he can fly with wings, or make Wolverine bounce off his Blob belly. But he couldn't morph into Storm and control the weather. Which makes perfect sense, I like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If he could mimic to that degree he'd be omega level. He'd be Hope Summers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

If he could mimic to that degree he'd be omega level. He'd be Hope Summers.

Sure, I was just surprised when he could fly, but it makes since, because he can make wings, and in the X-Men universe, that's basically all you need to fly. Like I said, I like it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
drat, Reacher falls off hard by episode 3 of season 2. Season 1 was kind of nuts but they built up to the crazy insane shoot-outs with dozens of people, season 2 just wants to drop a bunch of bodies every single episode it seems.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

It's really a shame how bleh season 2 is because season 1 was Amazon's first good show and I loved every minute

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

oh god oh gently caress posted:

season 1 was Amazon's first good show

hmmm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s a very poor take

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm genuinely surprised how much I like 3 Body Problem. The writing made a lot of improvements to the books. Most adaptions really need to learn that they shouldn't be to close to the source material if improvements are possible.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Based on the first episode, 3 Body Problem got some bad rap online. It’s fine. Ending was spooky in a way I haven’t seen on TV yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I enjoyed the first two episodes. Did seem like most of the complaints I read were more about how the entire season shapes up but right now I’m having a good time with it! I like Sam as the annoying crisps guy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh god oh gently caress posted:

It's really a shame how bleh season 2 is because season 1 was Amazon's first good show and I loved every minute

I will fight you on behalf of the honor of Patriot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

theflyingexecutive posted:

One of the best shows of all time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it’s time to watch Patriot again……

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe it’s time to watch Patriot again……

That show just needed one more season to perfectly wrap things up.

It’s a drat shame.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HBO is marketing season 2 of HotD with dueling Black and Green trailers. Not sure I've seen this strategy before, but people seem to be digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSaSrJJPRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnxB9xZByyQ

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I'll grant that it was alright instead of bad like most of Amazon's other shows

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is your name how we are supposed to react to your posts

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Wait, they're mad because he said "Dehumanization is bad and the attacks on Israel and Gaza are bad"? Did I get that wrong?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a weird ad where the elf line of beauty products did a Judge Judy parody called "Judge Beauty." That's not the weird part, the weird part was that the plaintiff and defendant were played by Gina Torres and Rick Hoffman while Sarah Rafferty was the court reporter. For those playing along at home that's three of the main actors from Suits.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

One of the best shows of all time.

:hai:

Speaking of cool, how is the second season of Tokyo Vice?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Tokyo Vice's second season certainly continues to be a deeply uncomfortable and foreboding series of choices. Very anxiety-inducing to watch. It's like a horror film where the protagonists triggers every death flag possible except it's the Yakuza (and police) and you're doing everything possible to piss off them both.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a weird ad where the elf line of beauty products did a Judge Judy parody called "Judge Beauty." That's not the weird part, the weird part was that the plaintiff and defendant were played by Gina Torres and Rick Hoffman while Sarah Rafferty was the court reporter. For those playing along at home that's three of the main actors from Suits.

What kind of elf makeup, keebler or Lothlorian?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Currently watching Dark City - The Cleaner, a Kiwi series I couldn't find any posts about yet.
You should know by the end of ep.1 if the show is for you, or not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MubqAMrOMGY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a way to watch it in the US?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's bankrolled by Lionsgate (OITNB, Mad Men, Walking Dead) so it should appear somewhere soon.
Not legally at the moment though :smith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

:hai:

Speaking of cool, how is the second season of Tokyo Vice?

It's vibes-forward first and foremost and I'm grinning along for the ride. The show is good

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm genuinely surprised how much I like 3 Body Problem. The writing made a lot of improvements to the books. Most adaptions really need to learn that they shouldn't be to close to the source material if improvements are possible.

Much of the criticism I see of the Last Airbender live action series is like that, people wanting a completely copy of the animated series and not realizing than many of the changes are improvements or a matter of it being aimed at a older audience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget the people that are upset that azula is played by a child and not a hot woman who will be their girlfriend.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Cojawfee posted:

Don't forget the people that are upset that azula is played by a child and not a hot woman who will be their girlfriend.

Yeah, but this is still 1000x better than people being overly happy at the change.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 22, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I finally finished Monsieur Spade, Clive Owen was great as Spade, but honestly the plot wasn’t super compelling.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I fundamentally think that character just doesn't work with the approach they've taken, she loses the camp cartoon quality the original had and gains pretty much nothing. But I think that's pretty common throughout the show. It sticks to the original aggressively, except where it's edited various elements out (e.g. Katara no longer has anger issues, which isn't necessairily a problem, but she hasn't gained anything to compensate). As someone who's seen a lot of, but not all of, the original, the effect is still distractingly uncanny and hollow.

But also there's just some terrible writing all over the place, some poor performances, and it just doesn't have the same visual storytelling qualities that the original (or even the Shyamalan version) had.

Like, say what you will about the film -- it's definitely the worst of the three IMO -- but it benefits from practical sets and Shyamalan having a decent eye for visual composition. What the new series reminded me of, far too often, was Obi Wan.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Oasx posted:

I finally finished Monsieur Spade, Clive Owen was great as Spade, but honestly the plot wasn’t super compelling.

I just didn't like the ending. The potentially-compelling main antagonist fellow flat at the finish line. And Spade doesn't really sokve any of the main mysteries or deal with the big problems! In fact there's a Poirot style sit down in the living room but Clive Owen is listening rather than talking.

It's also by far the rosiest ending to a purported noir story I've ever come across.

I guess Spade is going to die of emphysema sooner than later but he's going to live it up with a new family in a villa in France until then.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still watching through Only Connect episodes whenever I go to visit my mum (we’re on eps that aired in December) and I got a musical sequences question after two clues and I’ve never felt so smart in my goddamn life

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That Dark City show is its own thing, is that right? They're not all trapped in space by creepy baldies?

Escobarbarian posted:

Still watching through Only Connect episodes whenever I go to visit my mum (we’re on eps that aired in December) and I got a musical sequences question after two clues and I’ve never felt so smart in my goddamn life

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuu

I did get a 5 pointer once but have never gotten a music question right ever, not even a single point. Hell, most weeks I'm happy if I can just scrape into double figures by the final round.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The made a show for Dark City, like the Kiefer Sutherland movie from 25 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

The made a show for Dark City, like the Kiefer Sutherland movie from 25 years ago?

Sentinel Red posted:

That Dark City show is its own thing, is that right? They're not all trapped in space by creepy baldies?

No, it's it's own thing. It's Kiwi Dexter with a better sense of humour.