Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Nice, I'm sick again. My spouse had some kind of wretched GI-centric virus last week. Symptomatically it screamed COVID at us but she had like 7 negative tests, and, also, there is in fact "a lot of poo poo going around now/yesterday/tomorrow/forever", I believe.

I'm very open to the concept that a lot of people are getting COVID all the time and don't know it. I don't think that's us, though. We know that we all had COVID in November, because whenever we're sick we all test every 24-48hrs for the entire duration of sickness, and outside of that one event in the fall, I've never seen a positive. The idea that we might all have had a basically un-noticed prior infection during Omicron is reasonable, and I know the tests aren't great, but we have 4 people here and so any time there's been a week of sickness spread out that usually has meant ~20 tests being used (we don't test the tiny kiddo if we can avoid it, seems to be of dubious value, though I did get a single positive off her last November).

I also don't really think that whatever I have going on in terms of frequent illness is recurring, latent COVID because this stuff always comes through the house in a wave, usually starting with one of the kids, and then I get hosed up, and maybe my spouse does, too.

So.... I think we've had COVID once for sure but probably at least twice, and my immune system just does not work as well as it did in 2019. A few times, the kids have had something that only manifests in me as ~12 hrs of very mild malaise and the sensation of "immune activation", and then total recovery within a day, and I have thought "yep, this is what it used to be like most of the time I got sick". About 1/2 - 1/3 of the time now I get absolutely slammed with stuff that puts me down for days, and also I get sick with greater frequency than I used to, by a lot.

when I haven't been sick, I've been getting that powder, we're getting some kind of real winter's end here

Overall, I feel like my basic health is great, I can ski harder and recover faster than at any prior point in my life, got some carpal tunnel and wrist/hand bullshit going on (which is leading to a rheumatology consult and the observation that "COVID infections seem to bring out weird kinds joint stuff") but generally I have better upper body strength and can dead-on run a longer distance than I have been able to since I was 19, which I attribute to attempting good living plus being more physically active than I have been since I was 19.

Also, since last fall, my dead-on run heart rate seems to have moved from ~175 (normal high-end for a 42 year old) to ~187 (about 5% higher than I would like this number to be!) That's concerning.

edit: and to the points about PASC, etc. If exercise intolerance had become a problem for me I wouldn't have racked up 180k vertical feet across 147 miles skiied since December, no way. Exercise makes me feel loving great, even if I am still slightly sick going into it. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if I have lingering COVID strands in me based on what I know, though.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Have you guys tried testing the poop yet? It could be a chronic infection that keeps on flaring up and apparently the best way is to do a poop swab

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

I'm the organic beans with non-organic plus

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't eat those either. Not because of the name, because the price is way higher than the other options that sold out.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

not the best price, no, but coronas are solid beans

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Real Mean Queen posted:

Spent aaaaalllll fuckin day hanging out in a hospital and wow is covid ever over in there. I saw 2 staff members wearing real masks, 3 if you count the guy who immediately took his off the second he entered my field of view

A guy I know has had his kid in and out of hospital for weeks now, the kid ran in front of a car and ended up with a badly broken leg and the hospital has rescheduled their surgery three times. Two days ago they came in and waited 6 hours before the hospital told them they'd have to reschedule yet again, the system is obviously hosed three ways from Sunday.

The kid finally got their day on the table a few hours ago, their leg is now covered in a cage which looks like it was made out of spare Bionicle parts :v:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have to start taking new pills and I was reviewing the paperwork and it has things like "avoid people with colds and flus" and "measles might be fatal while on this" and having a laugh.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I have to start taking new pills and I was reviewing the paperwork and it has things like "avoid people with colds and flus" and "measles might be fatal while on this" and having a laugh.

"guess ill die!"

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Unfortunately all the measles vaccines are live virus. I asked about getting a MMR booster since measles is coming back, and I'd have to stop taking my meds for a while to get it, with possible lifelong consequences.

Of course measles has lifelong consequences too. Cool!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was telling a friend about it and he asked "Did the doctor inspire confidence and give you comprehensive care?" and I just said "No he's a doctor in America." I only know any of the potential impacts or side effects of these pills from looking poo poo up myself and reading the pharmacy print out. The doctor just sent a message that amounted to "here's a diagnosis, I sent in this prescription, follow up in a month, peace."

Openly slandering the medical profession right now.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

My grandmother is rotating through heart pressure meds and gets a similar experience. We haven't had any terrible wait time yet but every single appointment is just 'we're going to do some blood work / an ekg / etc' and then a short message on her medical app that says 'okay heres your new meds go pick it up at walgreen and we'll check back in a month.' No real doctor appointments, discussion, or feed back.

tubamortis
Sep 10, 2005

Planning on getting a spring booster, what's the latest goon guidance? Looking online, CVS in my area claims to have Novavax without an appointment - is that the current recommendation?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tubamortis posted:

Planning on getting a spring booster, what's the latest goon guidance? Looking online, CVS in my area claims to have Novavax without an appointment - is that the current recommendation?

yep.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The diagnosis I got seems reasonable given my symptoms and the tests they did. I'm very annoyed because I had brought this up like a decade ago with the provider I was seeing then, who had zero interest in taking it seriously and the problem only just kept getting more disruptive until I pushed harder with my current one that it was a real issue.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

NeonPunk posted:

Have you guys tried testing the poop yet? It could be a chronic infection that keeps on flaring up and apparently the best way is to do a poop swab

Nope, haven't, for a few reasons.

Mostly -- it's not like I just randomly get sick for a day or two and so does everyone else. When people in the house become sick, it's been with pretty distinct symptom patterns that have varied widely from illness to illness, often coincide with symptom patterns other parents in our daycare are seeing, and then sort of progresses the way I expect a household-spread disease to progress, and then come to a conclusion (before I get sick again at some point). I have some friends with very obvious PASC stuff going on and it just seems real different to me.

If I thought, or become convinced, that PASC or chronic infections are part of what's going on, there are multiple Long Covid facilities within driving distance and we could swing that even if it's out of network or uninsurable nonsense.

I wouldn't, personally, take a positive swab from poop water as evidence of anything because I'm not a doctor, that's not how the tests were designed to be used, and if I was worried that I had a chronic COVID infection I would go see the same doctors in Dartmouth and Mass that the people I know here who have PASC or chronic infections or long term damage go see.

We're just not at that point right now, because I feel like what I am observing is a set of individually unremarkable and typical disease presentations and the only thing making it strange is the frequency and the fact that I've seemed to have a much harder time shaking off illnesses that I do get since early 2022, a thing which had sort of seemed to improve prior to this fall, and then pow, documented COVID.

There are actually doctors who are trying to understand this stuff and actually give a poo poo, so if you have geographic and financial access to them (especially anyone based out of a research institution with a dedicated Long Covid program) I think that is your best bet. Testing poop water from TikTok instructions feels like a stop gap because the health system has failed and most people can't afford reasonable care.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Mar 21, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

There are actually doctors who are trying to understand this stuff and actually give a poo poo, so if you have geographic and financial access to them (especially anyone based out of a research institution with a dedicated Long Covid program) I think that is your best bet. Testing poop water from TikTok instructions feels like a stop gap because the health system has failed and most people can't afford reasonable care.

Right, I always forget that some folks in this thread do have money and the connections to get medical care. It's not a stop gap if it is the only thing available for some folks, it's just reality.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Testing poop water from TikTok instructions feels like a stop gap because the health system has failed and most people can't afford reasonable care.
I think pretty much everyone itt agrees on all three counts

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

tubamortis posted:

Yes to Novavax, but that CVS message doesn't necessarily mean that they have it in stock presently. I recommend calling the CVS and speaking to an actual pharmacist to confirm that they actually have some available before making the trip.

(The CVSes in my area would regularly get deliveries for Novavax, but in very small quantities. And because multiple doses are drawn from a single vial, if one person gets a single Novavax, they have to throw away the other doses by the end of the day.The pharmacist who said this also said that they always get their Novavax deliveries on a specific day, and that my best chance of actually getting one is to come in as early as possible on that day. That ended up working for me, after being turned away a few times.)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I think pretty much everyone itt agrees on all three counts

yea I wasn't trying to throw shade at anything besides our utterly failed medical system

NeonPunk posted:

Right, I always forget that some folks in this thread do have money and the connections to get medical care. It's not a stop gap if it is the only thing available for some folks, it's just reality.

We are at the moment in a very good position. Because we've made reasonably intelligent decisions on top of getting incredibly lucky, that means we could probably survive indefinitely if one of our jobs got vaporized, and for a couple years if both did. But we would lose all that nice healthcare about three months after losing one of those jobs. So, you know, it's the kind of "good to be in situation" that you feel dumb complaining about on a public forum but also you're a dumbass if you don't feel the degree to which all that privilege is also a gun barrel against your back. I have same-industry friends who seem to think the party is just going to go on forever; I do not share this opinion.

hosed up!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

I’ve been waiting for 20 months now for a podiatrist referral. and no there are no other options than waiting unless I want to go to the US and pay. my partner needs a common diagnostic procedure and has been waiting a few months longer than that.

shits hosed and if you have a good doctor now, it’s only a matter of time before the propaganda, fatigue, bad luck, or all three get them.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tuyop posted:

I’ve been waiting for 20 months now for a podiatrist referral. and no there are no other options than waiting unless I want to go to the US and pay. my partner needs a common diagnostic procedure and has been waiting a few months longer than that.

shits hosed and if you have a good doctor now, it’s only a matter of time before the propaganda, fatigue, bad luck, or all three get them.

read this as "posadist referral"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bedpan posted:

read this as "posadist referral"

*points to the sky* the dolphins will see you soon

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

We still doing vaccine trip reports? Have a recent one from about 45 minutes ago

Had to go to the store/pharmacy today and because I was already going to be there, got an appointment for MMR, flu, and COVID. System didn't stop me at all. Completed all the information under my real name too. Before today I've been vaccinated for COVID I think 6 times spread over the years? Never had a problem whatsoever in getting the pharmacy to stab a needled in my arm. Until today. . .

For whatever reason, the guy who was doing my work was one of the more senior (rank not age) pharmacists. He looks at my reservation and says: "There is no recommendation for MMR, you should have gotten this as a child." I considered for a brief moment or so pushing back and I did say to him "I've been told those expire by the time you get to my age (late 30s)." Reply was no, MMR is for life. I don't press any further and say okay. Next is flu. No trouble with flu. And now for the problematic shot:

:science: Records say you had a shot less than a year ago. There is no recommendation for COVID vaccinations if you are under 65.

At this point he brings out a 3-ring binder and points to a laminated sheet. And at this point I'm very glad I've read this thread! I make a deliberate choice to not latch onto "recommendation" and instead go for a different strategy

:btroll: It has been more than 6 months and I am immunocompromised (for hate readers, this is all 100% correct as far as I know)

Pharmacist spends literally 3 or 4 minutes leafing through the pages.

:science: hmm, nope it says you are not recommended. . .oh wait I'm looking at the wrong sheet. How are you immunocompromised?

:btroll: According to the CDC I am immunocompromised and that is between myself and my doctor. The guidelines permit self attestation (all 100% correct last time I checked the guidelines)

:science: I won't accept self attestation. I need to speak with your primary doctor and ask them if this is recommended

:btroll: I don't have a primary care physician (this is also entirely true). I'm not here to force you to do anything you don't want to do.

At this point the pharmacist walks away and spends the next several minutes looking through additional binders.

:science: I'll have these ready for you in a few minutes

This entire process took about 25 minutes. The pharmacist was friendly enough during all of this including when they gave me the injection but the only person advocating for myself was myself and only after frustrating the three attempts to make me go away did he give me the slut juice. I've no idea what other people who are under 65 are doing. Oh, wait, they are not getting the vaccine.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Oh, I'll know COVID is over when people I see on a daily basis stop catching and recatching COVID, which they are still doing as of a few days ago.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hellequin posted:

They're a goon, or former goon, dunno if they read the thread or still have an account. (We're tumblr mutuals.)

Did everyone see the loving abysmal Freddie De Boer Covid piece in Truth Out? It's bad. Anyway, he's now harassing Long Covid patients who tried to educate them by telling them it's fake it.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1770042999541530983

https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1769423278450319656

Hey, remember when he spread fake rape accusations about Malcolm Harris and tried to ruin his life and then said he'd log off? Why the gently caress did we let him come back.

lol i remember when he wrote the post about "please be nice to me because i have a personality disorder"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

spiritual bypass posted:

lol i remember when he wrote the post about "please be nice to me because i have a personality disorder"

being an idiot rear end in a top hat isn't a personality disorder?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

being an idiot rear end in a top hat isn't a personality disorder?

it often enough is, yeah. thats basically what it means

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1770965539760005141

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
there are other types personality disorders afaik (and autism, which is not a disorder at all) that people can have. but yes, too often wrecker behaviors are coming from one of the malignant category of personality disorders. our society has just decided to not acknowledge these differences exist or have any impact to mitigate wherever each person flows around, even if it means everything gets wrecked. i wonder what personality types the rulers who decided this have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

turns out COVID was over all this time?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
drat we can't even rely on poop metrics anymore

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
hey.... we all have local metrics (how many people we encounter daily who are sympomatic). all of us combined have this data source that is collectively better than anything that is currently being monitored about the pandemic (nothing). maybe we're the new CDC and counting it up is our job

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
how many JN1 poops equal a B117 poop

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

more chronic infections? infecting new tissues? glad we totally gave up on doing anything about this while the virus keeps exploring new ways to destroy us

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wow, that's a really nice virus...

For me to poop out!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

The Oldest Man posted:

more chronic infections? infecting new tissues? glad we totally gave up on doing anything about this while the virus keeps exploring new ways to destroy us

Replication in lower GI tract seems likely.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

can't stop won't stop (fecal shed'n)

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

bedpan posted:

This entire process took about 25 minutes. The pharmacist was friendly enough during all of this including when they gave me the injection but the only person advocating for myself was myself and only after frustrating the three attempts to make me go away did he give me the slut juice. I've no idea what other people who are under 65 are doing. Oh, wait, they are not getting the vaccine.

Infuriating levels of gatekeeping, but overall still a dub for sure. Now is great timing for anyone who got the 2023 recipe mrna in September/October to get mothed up since that's gonna be mostly wearing off by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I would if I could. In Finland vaccines are just not available at all for most people. I don’t know if vaccine tourism is a thing, I mean maybe it is possible to get a vaccine in some other EU country… somehow.. maybe?