Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I know it's required in Germany, but I thought that was rather unusual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

One key difference that isn't pure marketing is that surge pricing increases arbitrarily without limit (or at least with a limit unknown to the user). If I order an Uber to leave a concert and all of the drivers are busy, I can either wait for a few hours or vastly more than what I'd expect normally a ride. And the amounts in surge pricing aren't usually small percentages - it's not like 'oh, you might pay $25 instead of $20 for a ride', it's more 'you might have to pay $250 instead of $20'. With 'happy hour' pricing, I know that my combo at McDonalds or beer at the bar won't cost more than the menu price. It might be lower if there's a 'happy hour' going on or if there's a 'no one in the drive through, offer a discount' promotion, but I know that I won't pay more than $8.29 + tax for that Big Mac meal (the cost in my area) in the worst case.

So if I'm going out to grab lunch, I can probably only go to one place, as getting in line to see the menu takes up a large portion of my lunch hour. If I go to McDonalds (who's using Happy Hour pricing in this example) know I'm paying under $10 for my lunch, and might get an even lower cost. If I go to Wendy's (who's using Surge pricing in this example) I have no idea what I'll pay, and using Uber-level surging, could easily end up with the choice of having to skip lunch to get back to the office on time or paying $50 or more for my combo.

That's a significant difference between 'fixed price with occasional discounts' and 'fixed price with occasional increases'.

Massively this. Happy hour is predictable, the customer actually knows what the prices will be in the future, and doesn't even have to remember that much information to understand it. Surge pricing is another big lump of unknowns that a customer has to do a bunch of research to understand, lest they get gouged at checkout.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kwyndig posted:

Surely with a year to plan it couldn't possibly cost what VMware is charging. It seems really short sighted to jack up prices that way.

Speaking as someone who works as a sysadmin in a primarily VMware environment - it's been something a lot of people expected basically since the broadcom acquisition was announced. VMware before the acquisition was something that, as far as enterprise level technologies, was generally pretty well liked and had a easy way for onboarding both hobbiests and development servers / spaces (ESXi being free, VMUG memberships giving you free year - long trials for their premium features on non-production servers) and thus had a market share based largely on good word of mouth.

The price hikes and the removal of the Free ESXi plans has pretty much burned that for everyone and while most of us are still on pre-buyout contracts, basically everyone I know in the professional space is looking for the off-ramp before it comes their turn to renegotiate contracts.

The ones going to be hurt the most are the mid sized companies who can't absorb the cost hikes and have too much infrastructure in place to gracefully migrate to a new platform in short order.

Broadcom is hedging their bets on having a captive customer base they can turn the screws on and I think they've burned enough people in it that it's ultimately going to backfire on them.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 20, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I wonder if anybody at Broadcom management meetings has ever suggested “hey, what if we made or did anything that wasn’t lovely?”

Broadcom was infamous years ago for deliberately hindering Linux driver development for their lovely ethernet/wifi/etc controllers, ostensibly to protect their valuable IP - as if anyone would want to steal that poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cat botherer posted:

I wonder if anybody at Broadcom management meetings has ever suggested “hey, what if we made or did anything that wasn’t lovely?”

Broadcom was infamous years ago for deliberately hindering Linux driver development for their lovely ethernet/wifi/etc controllers, ostensibly to protect their valuable IP - as if anyone would want to steal that poo poo.

This, but HP and pretty much the entire computer printer industry

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mister Facetious posted:

This, but HP and pretty much the entire computer printer industry

Brother is still a safe bet for home printers, last I checked.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

Yes but they were immediately thrown out of the window

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes but they were immediately thrown out of the window

I was thinking of the same meme.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Brother is still a safe bet for home printers, last I checked.

Brother printers are a blight upon the IT world and I stand by that statement 100%. Some of the worst driver stacks in the printer space and given the competition that's really saying something.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 20, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Not sure where this falls because it's not exactly a tech nightmare but it's a subscription service probably inspired by tech making it normal to have subscriptions for everything.

But I just saw that Alaska Airline (you know, the airline that was in the news with Boeing recently…) launched a $5/month subscription service for their membership system. This provides you with free WiFi once a month so that you can stream the next time a section of the airplane falls off.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure where this falls because it's not exactly a tech nightmare but it's a subscription service probably inspired by tech making it normal to have subscriptions for everything.

But I just saw that Alaska Airline (you know, the airline that was in the news with Boeing recently…) launched a $5/month subscription service for their membership system. This provides you with free WiFi once a month so that you can stream the next time a section of the airplane falls off.
If the section of the plane with the WiFi router falls off it’s not such a good deal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cat botherer posted:

If the section of the plane with the WiFi router falls off it’s not such a good deal.

That's why it's only $5/mo!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
For an extra $10 a month you can get their premium plan, which automatically notifies next of kin if you crash.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HisMajestyBOB posted:

For an extra $10 a month you can get their premium plan, which automatically notifies next of kin if you crash.

Why bother with that, when some wretched vultures from the press will do it for you?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd just like to point out that the aviation industry is an example of people and government mostly doing everything right, and getting absolutely raked over the coals for it in the media. Granted, Boeing is getting a spanking it's long deserved, but the new fascination the media has with reporting every abnormal occurrence on an aircraft is deeply harmful. The industry as a whole operates to an extremely high standard, as evidenced by a safety record in the past decade that ought to be the envy of any industry, and a huge part of that is because if anything goes wrong, it's dealt with. Passenger alerts crew to something that looks weird? Back to the gate, or precautionary diversion. One of three redundant systems has an issue? Land as soon as practicable. Crew spent too long waiting on the gate? Get a new crew that won't be over duty time.

You can't have it both ways. When safety is taken seriously, there will be a lot of abnormal events that cause a disruption. I really can't stress this enough: you want those events taken seriously and not ignored. In the industry, we talk less about "safe vs. unsafe" and more about "is the margin of safety reduced unacceptably?" and the standard remains extremely high. Occasionally, something will still go quite wrong, and its a testament to the processes involved that "quite wrong" means someone lost their shirt and not "200 people died," even when a company like Boeing is getting their poo poo pushed in for not doing things right.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

But multiple people in the aviation industry - pilots, controllers - have said the system is on borrowed time, and that sometime soon the bill will come due.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But multiple people in the aviation industry - pilots, controllers - have said the system is on borrowed time, and that sometime soon the bill will come due.

I would agree with that to a point, but not the implications of the phrasing. When the bill comes due, it's much less likely to be a crash, and much more likely to be "oh gently caress, I'm stuck on the ground while things get sorted." And again, a huge part of that is because we are absolutely not allowed to take risks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PT6A posted:

In the industry, we talk less about "safe vs. unsafe" and more about "is the margin of safety reduced unacceptably?"

Wheel stays on vs wheel falls off

Passenger cabin panel stays on vs passenger cabin panel blows out mid flight

You'll have to tell me how normal these are I guess

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Wheel stays on vs wheel falls off

Passenger cabin panel stays on vs passenger cabin panel blows out mid flight

You'll have to tell me how normal these are I guess

Given one example of each within memory, each resulting in a full investigation, I would say… exceptionally rare, and extremely unlikely to ever happen again?

And for an idea of how far we’ve come, consider than UA811 resulted in multiple fatalities and AQ243 resulted in one fatality and a substantially more hosed up aircraft. So, yes, while we’ve not yet managed to prevent all possible problems, the margin of safety has been very substantially improved.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

PT6A posted:

I'd just like to point out that the aviation industry is an example of people and government mostly doing everything right, and getting absolutely raked over the coals for it in the media. Granted, Boeing is getting a spanking it's long deserved, but the new fascination the media has with reporting every abnormal occurrence on an aircraft is deeply harmful. The industry as a whole operates to an extremely high standard, as evidenced by a safety record in the past decade that ought to be the envy of any industry, and a huge part of that is because if anything goes wrong, it's dealt with. Passenger alerts crew to something that looks weird? Back to the gate, or precautionary diversion. One of three redundant systems has an issue? Land as soon as practicable. Crew spent too long waiting on the gate? Get a new crew that won't be over duty time.

You can't have it both ways. When safety is taken seriously, there will be a lot of abnormal events that cause a disruption. I really can't stress this enough: you want those events taken seriously and not ignored. In the industry, we talk less about "safe vs. unsafe" and more about "is the margin of safety reduced unacceptably?" and the standard remains extremely high. Occasionally, something will still go quite wrong, and its a testament to the processes involved that "quite wrong" means someone lost their shirt and not "200 people died," even when a company like Boeing is getting their poo poo pushed in for not doing things right.

But is the aviation industry really getting raked over the coals, or is it just Boeing and Boeing suppliers? Because the latter two seem to justifiably need a hell of a lot of coal raking.

Nobody is coming after Airbus or Embraer that I've seen, presumably because they aren't building planes that are suffering regular catastrophic failures lately.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isn't the issue with Boeing is that they've been cutting corners they shouldn't be? I'll admit I don't remember the exact specifics but another issue of contention seemed to be that they're basically able to put their own people in positions to give FAA approval or something. The Last Week Tonight on this seemed rightfully critical of Boeing in a way that wasn't just "a bad thing happened."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Corners aren't very aerodynamic so I'm not surprised they're being cut in the aviation sector.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

Given one example of each within memory, each resulting in a full investigation, I would say… exceptionally rare, and extremely unlikely to ever happen again?

And for an idea of how far we’ve come, consider than UA811 resulted in multiple fatalities and AQ243 resulted in one fatality and a substantially more hosed up aircraft. So, yes, while we’ve not yet managed to prevent all possible problems, the margin of safety has been very substantially improved.

Boeing is coasting on these safety records at this point. They can't find maintenance records, which mean it wasn't done or not recorded properly. Not cooperating with the NTSB.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/09/1237204488/boeing-door-plug-alaska-airlines-investigation
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/ntsb-boeing-not-cooperating-on-investigation-into-alaska-midair-blowout/

Everything wrong with airplanes are being reported more right now because of the Alaska airlines incident though but that will die down after awhile.

Edit: It might not be all of Boeing or every production facility, but they have very clear problems with the quality of the work being done at some locations.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 21, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the issue with Boeing is that they've been cutting corners they shouldn't be? I'll admit I don't remember the exact specifics but another issue of contention seemed to be that they're basically able to put their own people in positions to give FAA approval or something. The Last Week Tonight on this seemed rightfully critical of Boeing in a way that wasn't just "a bad thing happened."

The underlying issue with Boeing is that after they merged with McDonnell-Douglas, they let the MBAs start making engineering decisions based on accounting and financial incentives, rather than letting the engineers make decisions based on institutional knowledge and safety/performance incentives. The whole culture of the company shifted into being profit driven rather than product driven.

Blut posted:

But is the aviation industry really getting raked over the coals, or is it just Boeing and Boeing suppliers? Because the latter two seem to justifiably need a hell of a lot of coal raking.

Nobody is coming after Airbus or Embraer that I've seen, presumably because they aren't building planes that are suffering regular catastrophic failures lately.

Airbus is European, different regulators would be investigating them as a company, with FAA/NTSB support. But Airbus hasn't been having a slate of problems over the past several years. Embraer is Brazilian, same story - and to be fair, Embraer isn't really a Boeing competitor. They make regional jets in the commercial space, not long haul.

That said, United is getting raked over the coals, because they've had a string of issues lately as well. I haven't seen any reports on if those are institutional failures or simply a run of very bad luck in a short period yet, but I'd wager it's a bit of both.

gurragadon posted:

Boeing is coasting on these safety records at this point. They can't find maintenance records, which mean it wasn't done or not recorded properly. Not cooperating with the NTSB.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/09/1237204488/boeing-door-plug-alaska-airlines-investigation
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/ntsb-boeing-not-cooperating-on-investigation-into-alaska-midair-blowout/

Everything wrong with airplanes are being reported more right now because of the Alaska airlines incident though but that will die down after awhile.

Edit: It might not be all of Boeing or every production facility, but they have very clear problems with the quality of the work being done at some locations.

The other major issue that a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Boeing is their government projects right now suck. And it's largely their fault. After being pressured by Trump to lower the price, they're losing their asses on the Air Force One contract. However, they'd still be losing their asses, even with a higher price, a lot of the loss comes down to poor negotiating on their part, and poor production practices. The same practices that are plaguing the KC-46A tanker program.

Boeing is a mess right now, and while it isn't entirely self-sabotage, a lot of the blame can be laid at the feet of institutional decay starting with the McDonnell merger.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Shooting Blanks posted:

Airbus is European, different regulators would be investigating them as a company, with FAA/NTSB support. But Airbus hasn't been having a slate of problems over the past several years. Embraer is Brazilian, same story - and to be fair, Embraer isn't really a Boeing competitor. They make regional jets in the commercial space, not long haul.

That said, United is getting raked over the coals, because they've had a string of issues lately as well. I haven't seen any reports on if those are institutional failures or simply a run of very bad luck in a short period yet, but I'd wager it's a bit of both.

The poster I was replying to stated "the aviation industry is getting absolutely raked over the coals for it in the media" though, they weren't talking about regulators.

If Airbus was having severe quality control problems then the international media would absolutely be raking them over the coals. And Embraer is the third largest producer of civil aircraft on the planet, its absolutely part of said aviation industry alongside Boeing.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Flying is for the rich, only the rich fly. Eat the rich and their hobbies.

Also, flying is bad for the environment, so it is praxis to always be making GBS threads on anything that resembles a gas turbine (which also grabs gas power generation, a happy coincidence).

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Also, flying is bad for the environment, so it is praxis to always be making GBS threads on anything that resembles a gas turbine (which also grabs gas power generation, a happy coincidence).

This is why when I need to travel international I do it by cruise ship.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

withoutclass posted:

:hmmyes:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

withoutclass posted:

Cruise ship!? Thanks for destroying the environment! :argh:

Just hitch a ride on a cargo ship that would be already going to your destination.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Just hitch a ride on a cargo ship that would be already going to your destination.

My uncle never caught a flight between Sydney (where he lived) to Perth (his home city). He always went down the docks and caught a cargo vessel as he was afraid of heights and a merchant mariner for decades. I actually looked it up and up to about a decade or so ago, it was possible to book berths on cargo ships with some reliability for international trips.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There was that climate scientist working in the south pacific that got the sack because he refused to fly home to Europe and opted to wait for a cargo ship

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gianluca-grimalda-climate-researcher-fired-slow-travel_n_6528d26de4b0a304ff6f9bfe

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
This video also goes into detail about why Boeing has been going downhill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URoVKPVDKPU

Did that popular thing where you strip down your company and sell it for parts so you get a huge one-time payout that impresses shareholders, and then deal with the consequences for the rest of the company's life. Also didn't help that they kept and listened to the execs at McDonnell Douglass who ruined that company, and decided the same strategy that brought about their downfall.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 22, 2024

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

I was curious about this a while ago, there's a handy link explaining what options you have:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/what-the-hell-is-a-cargo-cruise-magnificent-that-s-what

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Original_Z posted:

This video also goes into detail about why Boeing has been going downhill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URoVKPVDKPU

Did that popular thing where you strip down your company and sell it for parts so you get a huge one-time payout that impresses shareholders, and then deal with the consequences for the rest of the company's life. Also didn't help that they kept and listened to the execs at McDonnell Douglass who ruined that company, and decided the same strategy that brought about their downfall.

Boeing has been going downhill, and there are real consequences to that. However, airplanes are very complex systems and parts of them stop functioning on a regular basis even if they are well designed and well maintained. The media coverage of Boeing (and, it seems, United, for some reason) is overblown because it fails to focus on any of the actual problems.

The real problems that exist are enough to deal with; we don’t need to imagine things are worse than they are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Wrigglies posted:

My uncle never caught a flight between Sydney (where he lived) to Perth (his home city). He always went down the docks and caught a cargo vessel as he was afraid of heights and a merchant mariner for decades. I actually looked it up and up to about a decade or so ago, it was possible to book berths on cargo ships with some reliability for international trips.

busalover posted:

I was curious about this a while ago, there's a handy link explaining what options you have:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/what-the-hell-is-a-cargo-cruise-magnificent-that-s-what
Yep it's a real thing. I posted that as mostly a joke obviously but I'd actually love to try it.

I'd need either something with good internet (probably Musky's :() or a relatively short trip so I'm not paying $100/day to stay in a floating prison though while burning through PTO days.

PT6A posted:

Boeing has been going downhill, and there are real consequences to that. However, airplanes are very complex systems and parts of them stop functioning on a regular basis even if they are well designed and well maintained. The media coverage of Boeing (and, it seems, United, for some reason) is overblown because it fails to focus on any of the actual problems.

The real problems that exist are enough to deal with; we don’t need to imagine things are worse than they are.
A week or two ago a wheel fell off a plane on takeoff and everyone was like Boeing :argh: even though it's entirely on maintenance to keep that poo poo in working order on 20 year old aircraft.

Before Boeing it was the ATC when every single issue or close call was suddenly in the news.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

EoinCannon posted:

There was that climate scientist working in the south pacific that got the sack because he refused to fly home to Europe and opted to wait for a cargo ship

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gianluca-grimalda-climate-researcher-fired-slow-travel_n_6528d26de4b0a304ff6f9bfe

Just came across his Twitter and his travel threads. Really interesting stuff.

https://twitter.com/GGrimalda/status/1626344390196068352

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 22, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Negostrike posted:

Just came across his Twitter and his travel threads. Really interesting stuff.

https://twitter.com/GGrimalda/status/1626344390196068352

How much would he save not traveling at all

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

2.7 tonnes, it's literally in the tweet.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

^^^ Damnit beat me

Elias_Maluco posted:

2.7 tons according the tweet.

https://twitter.com/GGrimalda/status/1713473475107836233

I guess he could save about 535 kg on the way back. He got fired though so he should just go all in and walk back once he hits Thailand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kagrenak posted:

2.7 tonnes, it's literally in the tweet.

sorry, missed that part