Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imaginary Friend posted:

Yeah, MH World as well. Both have confined spaces with monsters that phase in and out of the maps. The upcoming one is rumoured to have a big open world with dynamic wild-life, and this feels like a test-bed for that.

MH World is not on RE engine. Both those games have big environments, if RE engine had limitations around large populated environments they'd be apparent on Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Rise's play areas are smaller and have far less complex AI for the roaming fauna in comparison to DD2's NPCs, large monsters and enemies. I'd easily see it as a scaling problem.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

K8.0 posted:

GMG has confirmed keys go out at release time and no sooner for DD2. Fanatical said about the same a few days ago.

drat, that's annoying. No preload means it's not a big deal, I guess, but still.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I don't know what to say on the other ones because I don't know what the goal was, but your young Willem Dafoe is off to a decent start, just gotta push those cheeks in more and embiggen mouth a big, wrinkle it up some more maybe.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I don't know much about much, but are these performance issues things that can likely be fixed with patches?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

acksplode posted:

MH World is not on RE engine. Both those games have big environments, if RE engine had limitations around large populated environments they'd be apparent on Rise.
Ah, I thought they switched to RE in world, my bad.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Tenacious J posted:

I don't know much about much, but are these performance issues things that can likely be fixed with patches?

It sounds like capcom would have to gently caress around with whatever is going on in the city, which is probably pathfinding and whatever emergent simulation-style interactions they have going on. Maybe there's something they can pair down or group together, maybe there isn't.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah. Being a day 1 player means getting the worst performing version to start with and probably finish with. Plus bugs and glitches to exploit if you're lucky. Cyberpunk on PC never got better than launch version because it had so many good bugs and design flaws that accidentally made for a more fun experience than intended, even if they did address performance stuff along the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

I don't know what to say on the other ones because I don't know what the goal was, but your young Willem Dafoe is off to a decent start, just gotta push those cheeks in more and embiggen mouth a big, wrinkle it up some more maybe.

I'm something of an Arisen myself

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I know it sucks, but I think Capcom is just going to have to patch out the feature where every npc is constantly evaluating whether they can castrate every other npc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gyoru posted:

I think I've settled on my Arisen/Main Pawn choices:

Arisen

there are going to be so many Shart pawns on the server

Well, I figured it was supposed to be Shadowfart before I scrolled down, so good job.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Khanstant posted:

You did a great job, I immediately thought "that's Willem Dafoe!"

As for the Pawn, wish we could get him to say "THE HEART, ARISEN! First you must attack his heart!"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

madfury posted:

I couldnt really go through ever post. Anyone already got their key from GMG? Am I the last guy on the planet to get mah game or is it normal that keys dont go out before the release?

Waiting on mine from CDKeys.com. Bit concerned since it says it'll be available March 22, but in my region the game comes out this evening at 5 PM. Gonna be v sad if I can't play today.

Tenacious J posted:

maybe yes, maybe no. Literally impossible to know for sure. Most games I would say do improve significantly. The extent to which they fixed Cyberpunk was truly extraordinary, it ended up being probably the most impressive looking and playing game in history even on not great hardware.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor literally never fixed its frame drops and stuttering. They tried for a while and then Respawn completely gave up, which I thought was pretty pathetic.

acksplode posted:

The fidelity of the graphics in Rise as well as the size of the arenas really can't be compared to something like DD2. Imagining this game trying to run on Switch like that one did is actually hilarious, that could never happen. The Steam Deck can't even handle this game and I bet Rise runs just fine on it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

I know it sucks, but I think Capcom is just going to have to patch out the feature where every npc is constantly evaluating whether they can castrate every other npc.

Sorry but no, that cannot happen (for stimpire reasons)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mods, please change title to "The Sickening and Heartbreaking Truths of the Second Dragon's Dogma".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Magmarashi posted:

Obviously it's a conspiracy then, instead of a simple magnitude issue /s

What loving conspiracy? "Badly implemented Denuvo / DRM / programming errors causing a game to run like poo poo" has happened time and time again and it's not like they're gonna come out and say that's what's going on.

This reminds me of Rime, a neat third person platformer from a few years ago. It ran like absolute dog poo poo on the PC, and people immediately suspected it was Denuvo. The game's developers responded and said it absolutely wasn't Denuvo and made some excuses. A month or so later some pirate group cracked the game and discovered they'd hosed up the Denuvo implementation so completely, the game would phone home to the Denuvo servers hundreds of thousands of times every time you loaded the game, and 30-50 times a second during normal gameplay. Surprisingly the pirated version apparently ran perfectly fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQm39L_eo0

Like yeah, it obviously demands a lot from the CPU, there's no denying that. But it can be that plus bugs, or that plus a badly implemented Denuvo, or that plus their own weird Capcom DRM. Or it can just be that they couldn't optimize it as much as you'd hope, poo poo happens and programming is hard. Who knows!

E:

Volte posted:

Are you referring to framegen? Everything I can find indicates that the game doesn't support any kind of frame generation, even DLSS 3. If you just mean upscaling, then why not use DLSS given that you have an Nvidia card?

Because that ran like poo poo for me for some reason. FSR3 produces far better results. Like shockingly so. Yes, I am as surprised as anyone else. Could be related to nVidia not having their optimized drivers out yet, so things might improve when those come out. In either case switching from DLSS to FSR3 turned my game from choppy and frustrating to "runs pretty drat smooth out in the wilderness for most part, but still chops like crazy in towns".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 21, 2024

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

from the sounds of it the keys aren't allowed to get distributed until near when the game is unlocked, which doesn't make sense given how the packages are handled on steam - but that's where we are

looking forward to flying into free soon

K8.0 posted:

GMG has confirmed keys go out at release time and no sooner for DD2. Fanatical said about the same a few days ago.

I know someone who got their key from Humble store sent to them out over a week ago.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 21, 2024

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

STALKER has trained me for this moment...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Because that ran like poo poo for me for some reason. FSR3 produces far better results. Like shockingly so. Yes, I am as surprised as anyone else.
Weird, sounds like a bug. Hopefully some patches will iron things out relatively quickly.

If DD2 is anything like DD1, I'll probably end up playing it 7 times so I'll just look forward to a smooth 60+ fps experience on my replay in a couple of years after I've gotten a new PC.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Volte posted:

Weird, sounds like a bug. Hopefully some patches will iron things out relatively quickly.

Yeah, could just be the lack of optimized drivers or a bug.

And honestly... well, not exclusively this, but in decent part this, got me to finally pull the trigger on the 5600x -> 7800X3D upgrade I've been eyeing for a while. If it still runs like crap I'm gonna throw my PC at Hideaki Itsuno.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mordiceius posted:

Welp. I hosed around with the character creator for about 20 minutes last night and found myself completely overwhelmed. Guess I'll have to try again when I have more mental bandwidth.

Yeah, there's a lot going on with it! With enough work you can have combos like this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NaWYDW5BDY

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SwRuaVwC8c
the cycle begins anew

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Finally my decision to invest in fiber Internet pays off. It's going to release at 1 AM over here so I don't have much time so I need to be able to fly into free as soon as possible

I got fiber a few months ago, and it really owns for things like this. Basically never takes more than an hour to download a game.

Play posted:

Star Wars Jedi Survivor literally never fixed its frame drops and stuttering. They tried for a while and then Respawn completely gave up, which I thought was pretty pathetic.

It was improved a lot from release, at least on PC. At release, there was literally nothing I could do to achieve 60fps in some areas (like the starting Coruscant) - even at 1080p and everything Low, it would still be like 50fps. After the various patches, I can easily get 80-90 at 4k, and 120 with framegen (though Jedi Survivor's framegen adds a weird shimmer to things that I don't like).

edit: Like it still has big issues, but it's significantly better than it was at release

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If denuvo were clever they'd make the download shared versions have denuvo but paying customers get the clean version.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

These city performance issues really sound like bugs. I doubt it's pathfinding as in that kind of environment it shouldn't be a big issue even for hundreds of agents doing very dynamic pathing much less a couple dozen randomly wandering. Especially since only the ones fairly close to the player should be doing much pathing (they can do simpler simulations for their position for further out npcs) but even if the bug is that the entire city is pointlessly pathing then that shouldn't be totally nuts unless the cities are much more crowded then it seemed in videos which looked to be < 100 total (which if it's like Cyberpunk/AC games/etc kinda crowds then they would be doing a crowd sim for ambient npcs and not individual pathfinding).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Should have brought back Into Free

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It's not easy having a good time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It was improved a lot from release, at least on PC. At release, there was literally nothing I could do to achieve 60fps in some areas (like the starting Coruscant) - even at 1080p and everything Low, it would still be like 50fps. After the various patches, I can easily get 80-90 at 4k, and 120 with framegen (though Jedi Survivor's framegen adds a weird shimmer to things that I don't like).

edit: Like it still has big issues, but it's significantly better than it was at release

I'm sure that's true, but I got the game way after release and while average framerate was at least okay, the stuttering was completely ludicrous. Every time it happens it just instantly takes you out of the experience. Feels cheap, lovely, and even makes some people feel ill. No setting did a single thing to help.

Khanstant posted:

If denuvo were clever they'd make the download shared versions have denuvo but paying customers get the clean version.

If there is a single copy of any game anywhere that is given to the public without Denuvo, it'll be instantly pirated. This recently happened with Lies of P, the developer (accidentally it seems) uploaded a version to steam for a patch that didn't have Denuvo and now it's available to torrent. They probably didn't lose that much from it though, if someone was going to buy the game they likely already would've a while ago.

In fact, I'd suggest that all games after a year or so should remove Denuvo. Who cares at that point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Play posted:

In fact, I'd suggest that all games after a year or so should remove Denuvo. Who cares at that point.

i believe most of them do, since it's a subscription service and is generally only worth the cash for the opening few months where 90% of your sales are made

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm ready to become a cat man

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i did one last attempt at recreating wolveshuntin, who is still popular in dd1 (4/5 in all categories) and used by non-goons from all over:

had to settle on abusing scars to get close to the same visuals but it'll do. i made a copy of the inclinations and replicated height/weight too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think there is almost 1 1/2 hours left until release on Steam.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

I read Legends and Lattes over the holidays so I decided I wanted to try making the leads from that:
Arisen Viv

Who kinda doubles as my current DnD character, although the Orc Options are a little limited. Really hard to find the right hair as well.
Pawn Tandri:

Limited in hair color right now but I'm pretty happy with how Tandri turned out.

My Sword Lesbians are ready

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's not easy having a good time

Even smiling makes my face ache.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I said come in! posted:

I think there is almost 1 1/2 hours left until release on Steam.

drat it I read the Mexico release time from the chart and forgot they don't do Daylight time. I was ready to go in 20

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Steam keys from Green Man Gaming are starting to go out. Should be emailed (in addition to appearing in the order history)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm fairly sure they have daylight in Mexico lol

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Propaganda Hour posted:

But not a 100% sure, right?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Propaganda Hour posted:

They aren't saving it though that is why it looks so orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Current mental state re: keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZO1jauV31U