Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

The337th posted:

4th and XX attempts would be infinitely better at whatever yardage. I'd rather watch a 4th and 25 in place of a modern onside, even though the odds for converting would be just as horrible.

At least you'd be watching a real football play and not a gimmick kick that's been officiated into stupidly low odds that rob it of even having the fun of being an oddity in the sport.

It's hard for coaching to give much of an edge to extreme luck on a football trick shot and hoping the receiving team just has a terrible hands moment.

The biggest issue with 4th and whatever as a replacement is penalties. You can just see a QB getting touched the wrong way and suddenly that 4th and 25 is an automatic 1st. Or you get an underthrown ball that the WR comes back through a back on.

You'd have to somehow either formally change the rules (no automatic 1sts penalties) or at least have them reffed differently, kind of like how you don't really get PI calls on hail Mary plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Even a penalty first down freebie would beat the current state of onsides, as much as penalties suck

Teams have more control over that, even with bad reffing, than everything hinging on an extremely rare yip by the return team, or the unlikely occurrence of a kicker perfectly executing the placement of a gimmick kick

Refs already know how to not call PI on a game ending play, QB roughing is the only big one there because there's no way they can suddenly allow a free play to tee off on the QB

It'd just be cool if onsides were like 10-20% successful and were a *useful* silly play, but that's not even close to reality and only getting worse

Keep the alignment and just prep a special onsides ball that's slippery as hell, problem solved

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The337th posted:

Even a penalty first down freebie would beat the current state of onsides, as much as penalties suck

Teams have more control over that, even with bad reffing, than everything hinging on an extremely rare yip by the return team, or the unlikely occurrence of a kicker perfectly executing the placement of a gimmick kick

Refs already know how to not call PI on a game ending play, QB roughing is the only big one there because there's no way they can suddenly allow a free play to tee off on the QB

It'd just be cool if onsides were like 10-20% successful and were a *useful* silly play, but that's not even close to reality and only getting worse

Keep the alignment and just prep a special onsides ball that's slippery as hell, problem solved

literal greased pigskin, pig still alive

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If you’re undisciplined enough to commit a penalty on 4th-and-25 you deserve to have the conversion happen

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1770900077881512081?t=R3QdKJtLfLQvazOYgmJgVQ&s=19

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Possibly the least surprising news of the offseason

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That sucks for the Lions... they have to eat 17m of dead cap and lose 5m for this year OR designate it as post-June1 and save 1.5m this year but carry a 7m dead cap into next year.

edit: I mean that in a football sense - I really hope the woman who he threw out of a third story window is ok.

edit2: \/\/\/ LOL

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Hopefully out of a window.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That sucks for the Lions... they have to eat 17m of dead cap and lose 5m for this year OR designate it as post-June1 and save 1.5m this year but carry a 7m dead cap into next year.

Is there no recourse to just void the contract?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Very likely they'll be able to void the contact if he's guilty.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Amy Pole Her posted:

KC you mind getting your people under control? We live in a society, after all

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article286942485.html

Do we?

quote:

The affidavit said a tactical response team arrested Brown Jan. 24 in a parking garage near the Country Club Plaza. KCPD said officers pinned a truck Brown was in to a concrete wall in the garage as the truck attempted to evade officers.

Absolutely gotta break out the military surplus to bring this dude in.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://russellstreetreport.com/2014/02/20/baltimore-ravens-salary-cap/cap-ramifications-of-ray-rices-legal-issues/

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Do we?

Absolutely gotta break out the military surplus to bring this dude in.

Police aren’t people.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, when Aaron Hernandez got outed the Pats just cut him despite having given him a huge contract that offseason, we had cap issues due to it, cap issues!!!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

Police aren’t people.

Welcome, comrade

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kalli posted:

Yeah, when Aaron Hernandez got outed the Pats just cut him despite having given him a huge contract that offseason, we had cap issues due to it, cap issues!!!!

I skimmed Hernandez's wikipedia page and Belichick was already planning to cut him despite just giving him a huge extension? Or that may just be spin after he got arrested.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there truly no voiding of a contract if a player gets arrested / charged with serious crimes? Cause I dunno, I don't feel salary cap should be counted against murderers if you released them, for, you know, murdering people.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There is, but if you paid the player the money already, that's gone.

They apparently voided his guaranteed base salary for the year before cutting him so that's fine.

But in Hernandez / Ray Rice's case, there was significant signing bonus money that had been paid out.

You could theoretically claw some of it back, but good loving luck, so just cut 'em and move on.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Welcome, comrade

Except for the guy who used to post here Chiche. Im sad we lost him to the blue cult but hes still in my heart

Have the cap rules changed at all since the ray rice article I wonder. Hardly seems fair to punish a team for releasing a lovely criminal but I guess there’s another side to that argument too

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Yeah, that gets into "well you paid him for services already rendered."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Amy Pole Her posted:

Except for the guy who used to post here Chiche. Im sad we lost him to the blue cult but hes still in my heart

Have the cap rules changed at all since the ray rice article I wonder. Hardly seems fair to punish a team for releasing a lovely criminal but I guess there’s another side to that argument too

Chiche became a cop? drat that's genuinely disappointing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He was a sherriffs deputy iirc and basically did poo poo like transport prisoners to court etc.

He certainly didn't deserve loving idiots in TFF abusing him when he was posting about football like they were.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

He consistently doubled down on defending cops.

He deserved what he got.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

He was a sherriffs deputy iirc and basically did poo poo like transport prisoners to court etc.

He certainly didn't deserve loving idiots in TFF abusing him when he was posting about football like they were.

the hell do you think a sheriff's deputy is exactly

they're just cops with all the potential to do cop poo poo that cops do

https://x.com/keithboykin/status/1770113143504863541?s=20

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BlindSite posted:

lol whitewashing every interaction

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Why would you ever post about your job on Something Awful Dot Com

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Adun posted:

it's the only thing about me that is interesting :/

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Adun posted:

Chiche was the definition of :jpmf:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Also given the demographics of this place (nerdy male millennials) there’s probably a few of us here who do truly heinous jobs like working for a private equity firm or at Lockheed Martin or for the Patriots

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Adun posted:

If I had good judgement I wouldn’t post at all! Or have my job. Poor decisions all around really

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Amy Pole Her posted:

Police aren’t people.

Amen brother

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

lol whitewashing every interaction

Not saying he couldn't pick a fight at times but he was a good dude and didn't deserve the vitriol that came his way.

Im sorry if this makes you mad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Chiche was intentionally abrasive so I assume he was fishing for the reactions he got

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Adun posted:

Also given the demographics of this place (nerdy male millennials) there’s probably a few of us here who do truly heinous jobs like working for a private equity firm or at Lockheed Martin or for the Patriots

Ban the Pats employee

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

pmchem posted:

Ban the Pats employeefans

:colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

kiimo posted:

You won't even give us passes to Epic Universe, that's not very interesting of you. :|

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Adun posted:

I used to work for UTC Aerospace planning and managing production of landing gear for military aircraft like C17/F18/F15/F35. I don't anymore.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

pmchem posted:

Ban the Pats employee AFC East

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kiimo posted:

Speaking of which, some random Bucs fan that I follow on twitter reposted your guys trailer and commented about being there night 1. I thought that was pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Tff is insular and hostile