Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Hmm this comment makes me think you don’t know about gym Jordan.

fine call me out on my laziness why dontcha. you jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nerox posted:

I am sincerely trying to answer your question from a legal perspective. What mechanism does the federal government have to just say "Your business and related properties are no longer yours, they are now ours?"

If the federal government (IRS) received a judgement against Mar A Lago Club, Inc. (the legal title holder of the Property) in the amount of a billion dollars, they still can't just say "hey that property is ours now", the IRS still has to follow Florida law to record the judgment, then foreclose on the judgement by selling the Property to the highest bidder to pay down that debt.

When it comes to something like New York (again state law, not federal) revoking a business license. The business doesn't just go poof, it will get a receiver to start having a fire! sale to liquidate assets, pay off creditors, fines, etc. and if anything is left after all that, it would go the shareholders of the corporation. The Mar A Lago real estate would be liquidated as an asset in that case.

Thanks for this. My assumption was the federal government will be stepping in to enforce a states judgement when it comes to enforcing payment since they're halfway involved because of taxation and business rights beyond a states reach. Being able to flee to "safe haven" states seems like something that shouldn't be possible.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

TrashMammal posted:

:lmao: the covid thread is leaking again

the power armor was damaged in the last visit to Costco

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
starting to get kind of nervous over here. Joe Piscopo, Mr. Pillow AND Tony Rigatoni?!? holy guacamole!

notice how everyone stopped caring about taylor swift? now i see why.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

War Wizard posted:

My Pillow Guy is probably the most funny thing to come out of Trump!

A million bux if you can Prove Me Wrong!
*Is proven wrong*
*Is order by courts to pay*

IM NOT WRONG! :byodood:

Even better, it was 5 million.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The best time for an appropriate response to covid was January 2020 and trump ignored WHO.

The second best time was march 2020, but the trump white house was still mostly ignoring it (while joking that it'd kill democrats in blue states), and when state governments stepped in and issued their own quarantines the culture war on it immediately started because of trump.

Manufacturing crawled to a halt, and price gouging was allowed to run rampant across all consumer goods. The trump white house did nothing.

The virus was allowed to spread, and well before the 2020 election it was impossible to stop the spread.

We lost the war because of incompetence of the trump white house. Biden could not contain the virus by the time he became president. We got our vaccines, hospitals got empty enough to function at normal capacity.

At some point, things went back to "normal" because that's what the human race does. Adapt to a new New, and move on. Biden didn't flip a switch. The whole of humanity looked at our situation, shrugged and decided to deal with it.

Trump and his cronies made covid as bad as it was. We are absolutely better off now than we were then (in regards to this specific set of events) and if you believe different you live in la la land.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Tony Orlando retires, here's why this is bad for Biden

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

just wanna remind everyone that your ACAB creds are about to expire. please renew by posting ACAB.

ACAB.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

HKR posted:

Manufacturing crawled to a halt, and price gouging was allowed to run rampant across all consumer goods. The trump white house did nothing.

Umm, excuse me, but you seem to be forgetting that they sent out some relief checks autographed by our favorite President ("Trmup!")!!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
All
Cats
Are
Baby

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

nobodygetshurt posted:

just wanna remind everyone that your ACAB creds are about to expire. please renew by posting ACAB.

ACAB.

oh word? acab

and a gently caress the police for good measure

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Willatron posted:

All
Cats
Are
Baby

:3:

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Hollismason posted:

I'm just imagining a scenario where Trump team gets access to the RNC bank accounts and safety deposit boxes and they open them and bats fly out

It's going to be like that scene in Ghost Busters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpPicOZOig

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

nobodygetshurt posted:

ACAB.

I used to work in a police station for a bit. Can confirm that ACAB.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

nerox posted:

I am sincerely trying to answer your question from a legal perspective. What mechanism does the federal government have to just say "Your business and related properties are no longer yours, they are now ours?"

If the federal government (IRS) received a judgement against Mar A Lago Club, Inc. (the legal title holder of the Property) in the amount of a billion dollars, they still can't just say "hey that property is ours now", the IRS still has to follow Florida law to record the judgment, then foreclose on the judgement by selling the Property to the highest bidder to pay down that debt.

When it comes to something like New York (again state law, not federal) revoking a business license. The business doesn't just go poof, it will get a receiver to start having a fire! sale to liquidate assets, pay off creditors, fines, etc. and if anything is left after all that, it would go the shareholders of the corporation. The Mar A Lago real estate would be liquidated as an asset in that case.

Edit: Mar A Lago Club, Inc. is actually a Delaware corporation. However, it may be wholly owned by other New York State incorporated Trump businesses.

Started this before your edit..

I think the issue is that who actually owns what? The law blog that was posted up in the thread talks about if the lien holder or whatever is 'foreign' to florida, but that doesn't seem to apply here, as the company (Maralago inc, or any parent companies - who knows) isn't a Florida company.
I think there is a lot of confusion also about if special laws protecting homesteads or whatever applies here - I have to think it doesn't - Maralago is not a residence, its not owned by a Florida business even.

So could it be sold off to serve a lien in New York? IDK but it doesn't seem out of the question, as that might be a decision made at a parent company headquarters in NY or Delaware.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

pooch516 posted:

Umm, excuse me, but you seem to be forgetting that they sent out some relief checks autographed by our favorite President ("Trmup!")!!

oh yeah, and the rampant inflation we had can also be attributed to trump white house being all willy nilly with the ppp loans and letting fraudsters go hog wild with applying for loans they absolutely did not qualify for.

(I've seen some finance types also say the personal checks contributed to this, but that was a drop in the hat compared to the ppp loan disaster)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can't the judge that thats in charge of Trumps business decide to sell Mar A Lago

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oh is it that time again already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxaSqKelRro

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
"i'm a member of the counter culture!" says teenager with exact same bigoted ideology as my texan mom, grandma and great grandma

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
bethesa should just make morrowind forever instead of skyrim

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

HKR posted:

Manufacturing electronics during COVID was loving awful, and it still hasn't fully come back. Making final orders from NXP for two years 8 months in advance level. That plant in Japan burnt down and we had to source some opamps from a couple other suppliers in a trickle and all of a sudden everything started failing integrity testing by razor slight margins. It was nightmarish.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

rotinaj posted:

How is it not replaceable? Gotta pay a big honking fee for a new one?

It was a hat from one of the ships I was on. They only made that style of hat for a few years and you could only buy one in the ship's store on the ship. The ship is based out of Hawaii, and I'm in Florida. Not super easy to replace.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was a hat from one of the ships I was on. They only made that style of hat for a few years and you could only buy one in the ship's store on the ship. The ship is based out of Hawaii, and I'm in Florida. Not super easy to replace.

That sucks. Maybe there’s a Hawaiian goon or a Goon In a Platoon who might be based out of there? You might not be able to get the exact replacement, but might find something that will fill that niche.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

nobodygetshurt posted:

ACAB.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/michellelprice/status/1770880210453307412?s=20

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

nobodygetshurt posted:

ACAB.

ACAB (Assigned Cute At Birth)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

DemihumanResources posted:

bethesa should just make morrowind forever instead of skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahd4mYbjR2E

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1770915791782703477

Trump is literally a child.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Bone Crimes posted:

Started this before your edit..

I think the issue is that who actually owns what? The law blog that was posted up in the thread talks about if the lien holder or whatever is 'foreign' to florida, but that doesn't seem to apply here, as the company (Maralago inc, or any parent companies - who knows) isn't a Florida company.
I think there is a lot of confusion also about if special laws protecting homesteads or whatever applies here - I have to think it doesn't - Maralago is not a residence, its not owned by a Florida business even.

So could it be sold off to serve a lien in New York? IDK but it doesn't seem out of the question, as that might be a decision made at a parent company headquarters in NY or Delaware.

A Foreign judgment is a judgement that comes from another state. In this context, it doesn't have anything to do with the residency of Florida, New York, or Delaware. A New York court's judgment in Florida is a foreign Judgment.

Let's say you have Ron and Donald both from Florida visiting New York City on vacation. Donald rear ends Ron in his vehicle and injures Ron. Since the injury occurred in New York, Ron has to sue Donald in New York for the car wreck. Ron wins and now has a judgement against Donald, who no longer has any assets in New York. Now Ron has to domesticate his judgement in Florida in order to levy against Donald's property in Florida.

This actually happened to my dad and his buddies on a trip when I was young, they were in a car wreck in Florida when they were from Georgia and the lady who hit them was from Georgia as well.

Hollismason posted:

Can't the judge that thats in charge of Trumps business decide to sell Mar A Lago

Ultimately, the judge will likely start replacing the board of directors in all the subsidiary corporations until you get down to the hard assets that could be sold and rolled up the corporate pyramid. I would actually love to see what the Trump org chart actually looks like.

nerox fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 21, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The New York one? Only has jurisdiction in that state I think? Although couldnt Trump ultimately feel forced to sell all of his stuff in other states in order to meet his new amazing fine?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rear end in a top hat
Ctrump
Am
Broke

And the other thing too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nobodygetshurt posted:

"Alright guys, locker room safety starts with making sure there are NO RECORDING DEVICES present when making comments about grabbing pussy. Alright, thanks for coming everyone. Hearing is dismissed."

It's not about recording locker room talk. Gym Jordan covered up for a doctor at Ohio State that assaulted wrestlers for years.

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Willatron posted:

All
Cats
Are
Baby

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Ayyy,
Cute
rear end,
Babe

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Will the RNC LOLs never cease...?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Are
Country
Acquits
Criminals

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

HKR posted:

The best time for an appropriate response to covid was January 2020 and trump ignored WHO.

The second best time was march 2020, but the trump white house was still mostly ignoring it (while joking that it'd kill democrats in blue states), and when state governments stepped in and issued their own quarantines the culture war on it immediately started because of trump.

The virus was allowed to spread, and well before the 2020 election it was impossible to stop the spread.

We lost the war because of incompetence of the trump white house. Biden could not contain the virus by the time he became president. We got our vaccines, hospitals got empty enough to function at normal capacity.

At some point, things went back to "normal" because that's what the human race does. Adapt to a new New, and move on. Biden didn't flip a switch. The whole of humanity looked at our situation, shrugged and decided to deal with it.

Trump and his cronies made covid as bad as it was. We are absolutely better off now than we were then (in regards to this specific set of events) and if you believe different you live in la la land.
I was writing a post but this already said almost everything I wanted to say. There are certainly things you can legitimately criticize Biden on covid-wise, but at the end of the day all of his potential choices were and are constrained by Trump's actions as president. Biden does not exist in a vacuum, and his approach to covid is miles better than Trump's, especially when you consider that he was forced to inherit Trump's mess and deal with the popular attitudes to covid that Trump created.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I was trying to make a distinction between this and a "lockdown", which is used interchangeably by a lot of people. You can argue that what we were doing in 2020 doesn't qualify as a quarantine either, I don't mind.
the problem is what "we" were doing varied widely from state-to-state and city-to-city because the leader of the united states federal government did as little as he possibly could to manage the crisis and refused to do (or endorse the states' doing) any kind of national lockdown or quarantine or stay-at-home orders. big chunks of the country arguably never had anything enforceable that could be fairly called a "lockdown" or "quarantine".

so, given that exactly four years ago we were in a huge confusing goddamn mess as each state (and sometimes blue cities within red states) was left to figure things out for itself as the federal government completely refused to lead on matters like quarantines or lockdowns or even masking, I have absolutely no idea why you would interpret that ad as an attack on the concept of quaranties. How can they attack the idea of quarantines and lockdowns by showing a bunch of clips of a guy was refusing to do quarantines and lockdowns

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not about recording locker room talk. Gym Jordan covered up for a doctor at Ohio State that assaulted wrestlers for years.

alright look i'm sorry for connecting the wrong joke to this. my brain was too lazy to spend the extra half a second to think about jordan's actual crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

lmao this may be the smartest thing about the man

so used to constantly doing crimes he just destroys everything he puts fingerprints on