Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Listen. I held off on replying to this because I didn’t want to be a prick but I cannot help myself.

You need to eat a Regina’s slice. It doesn’t have to be from the original spot. The takeout counter at South Station will do.

There’s a lot of trap pizza out there, but Boston has slices that rival New York.

Pinnochios in Harvard Square is good if yr into sicilian style pizza, also you can marvel at all the pictures of Mark Zuckerberg on the wall while you eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Listen. I held off on replying to this because I didn’t want to be a prick but I cannot help myself.

You need to eat a Regina’s slice. It doesn’t have to be from the original spot. The takeout counter at South Station will do.

There’s a lot of trap pizza out there, but Boston has slices that rival New York.

So far I've tried something called Joe's Pizza which was alright and boasted about all the famous people who've eaten there (or seemingly in the original location in NYC) and some random place called Boston Kitchen Pizza where the slice was bigger than my head which was pretty good but very greasy.

Will seek out this Regina.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FreudianSlippers posted:

So far I've tried something called Joe's Pizza which was alright and boasted about all the famous people who've eaten there (or seemingly in the original location in NYC) and some random place called Boston Kitchen Pizza where the slice was bigger than my head which was pretty good but very greasy.

Will seek out this Regina.

Ok, ok. I will calm down then. Joe’s Pizza is actually a NYC transplant that opened about six months ago, but it is a good slice. Topping game weak but the same can be said of Regina’s. Boston Pizza Kitchen is aight too, solid B tier slice with the novelty of the size.

I just couldn’t rest thinking that you had eaten the so-called local favorite “bar pizza” or what is referred to as Greek pizza.

Another thing Boston does quite well is American-style Chinese food, but it’s harder for me to make a good recommendation on that (not the least because the best stuff is on the South Shore.)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pinnochios in Harvard Square is good if yr into sicilian style pizza, also you can marvel at all the pictures of Mark Zuckerberg on the wall while you eat

I have started ordering delivery from a place called Detroit Pizza Co in Brighton, and it brings me no pleasure to say this: it kicks rear end. Expensive but rich enough that one slice is like two. Strong buffalo wing game also.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Anonymous Robot posted:

Another thing Boston does quite well is American-style Chinese food, but it’s harder for me to make a good recommendation on that (not the least because the best stuff is on the South Shore.)

Last time I was in Boston I had lunch at some dim sum place that was just in a big old theatre hall or something, and you just pointed at the delicious looking poo poo going by on the trolleys and they gave it to yiu. Think we were the only gweilos there, but man that poo poo was delicious and cheap even though I may not be able to ever find it again

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've had pizza in Italy a few times but only in northern Italy (Milano and Bologna (or Baloney as you people call it)). I'm told by actual Italians that this wasn't real pizza as that only exists in Napoli.

I love your pizza passion.

A man needs to have principles.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 21, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Last time I was in Boston I had lunch at some dim sum place that was just in a big old theatre hall or something, and you just pointed at the delicious looking poo poo going by on the trolleys and they gave it to yiu. Think we were the only gweilos there, but man that poo poo was delicious and cheap even though I may not be able to ever find it again

Hei La Moon. Great spot. Sadly, they had to move out of the huge banquet hall.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hei La Moon. Great spot. Sadly, they had to move out of the huge banquet hall.

Still good tho?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I haven’t been since, my partner was diagnosed with celiac disease which puts most restaurants out of the question. I imagine so though, it’s the same family running the show.

Not really the type of Chinese food I meant, though. I mean crab rangoons and sweet and sour pork. I was shocked to find that you can’t good American Chinese in most of the country.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've had pizza in Italy a few times but only in northern Italy (Milano and Bologna (or Baloney as you people call it)). I'm told by actual Italians that this wasn't real pizza as that only exists in Napoli.

I love your pizza passion.

A man needs to have principles.

It’s ok to have principles but it’s the sticking to them that’s the tricky bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He got lost on the way there and ended up in Maine.

What happens when you hitch a ride with Christine.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Is Love Lies Bleeding worth seeing in the theater?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only pizza I had in Boston was some joint that was near dorchester and it was fine.

I was so fuckin tired tho. I woke up from an insane nap and was just out of it so anything would’ve tasted good lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Best pizza crunchy bottom pizza, doesn't matter where it's from or what's on it, gimme that crunch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like my pizza long, and floppy drippin with juice

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give pizza to us raw and wrrrriggling

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Best pizza crunchy bottom pizza, doesn't matter where it's from or what's on it, gimme that crunch

I like a crunchy bottom myself, if you know what I mean (it’s when you reheat pizza in the toaster oven).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think decades ago there was a front page article comparing different frozen pizzas and pizza adjacent products. The top marks when to those semi-circular calzone-type things you'd heat in the microwave. It was almost physically cringey to me, well before I knew what that term meant, went the author kept praising how 'tangy' they are.

'Unlike the plane cheesy taste of its competitors, these have a tangy kick which I really enjoy. It's very noticeable without being overbearing.'

'I've tried other similar products from the grocery store, but none of them could replicate that tanginess. To be honest, basically all pizza has become disappointing because it just doesn't have that tang.'

'Overall score of 9.5/10 for the good deal when they're on sale and that unique tangy taste.'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kro-Bar posted:

Is Love Lies Bleeding worth seeing in the theater?

It's really more of a movie to whack off to in your recliner. So, yes

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

You have all these polls on news sites' culture and lifestyle sections where like 7% people of respondents admit to regularly having sex in the theatre when situation permits it e.g. an empty back row and loud film. I'm all for light kinks but you really should require informed consent before involving others.

Then again with numbers like these you may well be tacitly consenting for someone to awkwardly put P in V a few rows down and a couple seats across from you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A friend of my wife’s mistakenly called Drive-By Dolls Road Whores.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember The Movies (2005) on the PC?

It's back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BH0reZGu6k

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's no SimCinema Deluxe :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember The Movies (2005) on the PC?

It's back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BH0reZGu6k

The Movies literally one of my favourite games.

Especially with the Stunts expansion that allowed for free cam placement with programmable camera movements.

I'm not very optimistic about this newcomer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I watched Road House on Amazon and while its perfectly fine Connor McGregor should not ever act in anything ever. Also there is no throat rip. I feel like if you are going to remake a movie that features a throat rip then you don't have one I am going to be disappointed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you remake something with a throat rip you should throw in at least two more.

Throat Rip$

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
THe action choreography is really good though.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Hello Movie Goons,
Is there a thread here or another subforum for film industry goons?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Frankly I thought it was gonna be a lot hornier than it ended up being. I mean, it IS very horny, but very sporadically. No idea how that one guy got so riled up.

But yes it’s worth seeing in a theater because sometimes you need a big screen to truly enjoy *vibes*.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TadBradley posted:

Hello Movie Goons,
Is there a thread here or another subforum for film industry goons?

No. Every once in a while people talk about making one. Creative Convention has a couple but not necessarily for professionals, iirc.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
I guess even if it existed it'd just be people bitching about there being no work right now. Still, surprised there aren't more BTL crew in SA.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Giving District 9 a rewatch. Idk what the thread consensus is on Blomkamp's movies but I like the cool tech and weapons in just about all of them (and it sucks that he could have made an Aliens sequel but didn't). On the other hand he kind of only knows how to make one movie: a hamfisted apartheid analogy.

The way the documentary angle sets the stage and then kind of melts away. I'm sure there are other films that use this kind of narrative setup but I'm drawing a blank.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 22, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

Giving District 9 a rewatch. Idk what the thread consensus is on Blonkamp's movies

they're all good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

The way the documentary angle sets the stage and then kind of melts away. I'm sure there are other films that use this kind of narrative setup but I'm drawing a blank.

Banshee Chapter.
I think End of Watch but it might just use the found footage aesthetic, I don't really remember

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TadBradley posted:

I guess even if it existed it'd just be people bitching about there being no work right now.

Occasionally it would also be people making jokes about grips and talking about craft services

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Blomkamp has yet to make an apartheid movie afaik, d9 is about the refugee crisis

Gripweed posted:

they're all good

that's right.gif

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

District 9 is one of those films, Like Children of Men, that sometimes makes peoples' lists of top movies and I don't get it. They're entertaining, well enough made, and have some cool scenes. So it's not a head scratcher like if you named a generic sci-fi or action flick. But it's still not obvious to me why they're the best. I suspect that unless people are seeing something I'm not it's exactly that they're unique that throws them over the top for them. Or that they deal with issues We're talking about now but are set in the future.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s really well made and fun as hell. It blew me away back in 09 and it’s still one of my favorites

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bright Bart posted:

District 9 is one of those films, Like Children of Men, that sometimes makes peoples' lists of top movies and I don't get it. They're entertaining, well enough made, and have some cool scenes. So it's not a head scratcher like if you named a generic sci-fi or action flick. But it's still not obvious to me why they're the best. I suspect that unless people are seeing something I'm not it's exactly that they're unique that throws them over the top for them. Or that they deal with issues We're talking about now but are set in the future.

District 9 has Verhoeven-level satire married to an extremely adept use of found footage, including excellent digital and practical effects on a fairly low budget. Every shot introduces or expands upon some zany concept, and the production design is flawless.

It doesn’t hurt that Blomkamp is extreme far-left by Hollywood standards,

I can understand not liking it, but D9’s at the top of multiple genres simultaneously. Makes it difficult to imagine someone saying that District 9 is ‘aight’ but going gaga over… well, what’s the alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

Giving District 9 a rewatch. Idk what the thread consensus is on Blomkamp's movies.

Idk if there is a consensus but imo he has one good movie and you just rewatched it