Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All of this is perfect, but I love how you just covered the components while buzz sawing the case because taking things out while sending metal shavings everywhere was just too much effort. Got a good laugh out of me. You mad genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

(Please do drill some additional air holes in the case, though.)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Gpus should just come with a space for a power supply, motherboard and ram inside their cowl.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the stock price should drop 5% just for this

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1770825054646931564

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

DoombatINC posted:

You could probably get a beefier CPU cooler on there too if you have screws that'll marry with the case's integrated standoffs - I was able to get an ID-Cooling SE-914-XT into an HP EliteDesk by using the Intel mounting brackets but the AMD mounting screws (wrapped in a shitton of teflon tape, because they were compatible-ish)
I mean it's just a baby 65w processor. It'll be fine.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67366763

Internet Explorer posted:

All of this is perfect, but I love how you just covered the components while buzz sawing the case because taking things out while sending metal shavings everywhere was just too much effort. Got a good laugh out of me. You mad genius.

Only the first time. When I had to trim a lil I just made sure to the sparks away. I couldn't be bothered to find paper AND tape a second time.

I've actually had to take a grinder to this bitch before. They put a capacitor right where the SSD hits it if you replace their tiny one with a full size. So I had to notch out a corner of the SSD so it would fit.

I've run a few stress tests and it's never gotten over 83°c. And only hit that like once. But I was still planning on adding some additional fans.

Blue to suck in fresh air. Red to vent.

Would drilling holes in the side still be necessary?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RodShaft posted:

I'd be more concerned with the GPU basically blocking the suck/vent sides of the case and ending up with what amounts to two separate chambers, one at positive pressure and the other negative. I'd just set up the front fans and intake and the rear fans as vents in your shoes.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RodShaft posted:

I know it's not a spicy chip, it's more about the noise it generates under load - also is it just me or is the CPU fan currently installed upside-down?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Only the first time. When I had to trim a lil I just made sure to the sparks away. I couldn't be bothered to find paper AND tape a second time.

I've actually had to take a grinder to this bitch before. They put a capacitor right where the SSD hits it if you replace their tiny one with a full size. So I had to notch out a corner of the SSD so it would fit.

I've run a few stress tests and it's never gotten over 83°c. And only hit that like once. But I was still planning on adding some additional fans.

If you actually have that side panel on, then it's pretty much right up against the GPU cooler's top vent. That will force all of the air out the bottom of the cooler (toward the motherboard) which is much less efficient. And then most of that is being recirculated by the GPU fans, I'm sure.

This is such a horrific setup that I don't even know what the best move here is. I just want to throw everything out but the GPU but I realize you've made too beautiful of a monstrosity to stop now.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's just a Dell, if it dies, it dies

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RodShaft posted:

I think it’s wonderful and I support and encourage you to do even worse things.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Cygni posted:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

DoombatINC posted:

I know it's not a spicy chip, it's more about the noise it generates under load - also is it just me or is the CPU fan currently installed upside-down?

Huh. Would you look at that. They probably had a sheath that directed the air out the back. I've seen that on Dells of the past. I'll flip it when I add the other fans. Although I might have a giant CPU cooler laying around that would be hilarious. Then I could aim the hot air toward the exhaust.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd be more concerned with the GPU basically blocking the suck/vent sides of the case and ending up with what amounts to two separate chambers, one at positive pressure and the other negative. I'd just set up the front fans and intake and the rear fans as vents in your shoes.

Yeah that would avoid blowing hot GPU air into the CPU. I was just thinking that the GPU fans suck air and blow it up and was leaning into that.

FuturePastNow posted:

It's just a Dell, if it dies, it dies

Maybe she was born a Dell. But she's so much more now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you actually have that side panel on, then it's pretty much right up against the GPU cooler's top vent. That will force all of the air out the bottom of the cooler (toward the motherboard) which is much less efficient. And then most of that is being recirculated by the GPU fans, I'm sure.

Imma go with the front to back intake/vent idea up there and see how it goes. It's right up against the side of my desk there, so even if I cut some vents I'd have to add a raised bit to keep it away from that. And I don't want to do anything too permanent to this case.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

idk wtf they've done but shadowplay is utterly unusable for me since the nvidia app update. Turns itself off arbitrarily, turning it on during games breaks the UI, it doesn't actually respond to the hotkey for saving clips half the time, and randomly gives a "not enough space" error even though there's a terabyte of free space. Absolutely useless app.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Truga posted:

back in x-fire days, i used to run one of my gpus from an external power supply for a week because my psu wasn't good enough to run both at full tilt, but i did have an old lovely one that was plenty good enough for a single gpu

it's as simple as connecting your poo poo to a different psu and then jamming a paperclip into the power pins on the mobo power supply connector lmao

I, too, had a 2nd psu sitting outside my case for time back in the wild old days. In my case because I ran out of power connectors for hdds and I needed more storage! So, take an old psu and use it purely to power those, feeding the cables in through the back of the case. Twisted together the wires that signaled the two to turn on, and good to go.

All this for storage numbering in the incredible hundreds of gigs!!!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The forbidden west port is incredibly good. Nixxes is such a great studio. Apparently they're porting Ghost of Tsushima too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pound for pound there's nothing better than these PS5 exclusive ports, because they have to nail the art direction given the hardware they're working with. So when they bring these games to PC it's ridiculous.

Can't wait for Tsushima.

e: then things are going to get even better when we are far enough along to start getting the games that weren't required to have a PS4 version.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

update on boy genius geohots plan to turn the AI industry upside down using AMD hardware

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought I saw something that said they were doing some stuff with TensTorrent gear too, which I guess would mean RISC-V for at least part of the stack?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ijyt posted:

idk wtf they've done but shadowplay is utterly unusable for me since the nvidia app update. Turns itself off arbitrarily
It has always turned itself off randomly for me, but now it needs extra click to see if it's active. Smh

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Regarding the Dragon's Dogma 2 performance form the last page, well, now bear with me if you are naturally repelled by an IGN video, but the guy doing this one (and many of their technical ones) is that NX Gamer chap. He really knows what he's talking about. His own channel is well worth subscribing to if you aren't aware of him already.
https://www.youtube.com/@NXGamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPrO2ZHQ3mM

Taima posted:

The forbidden west port is incredibly good. Nixxes is such a great studio. Apparently they're porting Ghost of Tsushima too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pound for pound there's nothing better than these PS5 exclusive ports, because they have to nail the art direction given the hardware they're working with. So when they bring these games to PC it's ridiculous.

Can't wait for Tsushima.

e: then things are going to get even better when we are far enough along to start getting the games that weren't required to have a PS4 version.

I'm so happy. The fact that I had barely got half way through Ghost of Tsushima before selling my PS5 to fund the 4080 build felt real bad. So excited to finish it with all the fancy shiny stuff.
Forbidden West too. The trailers and stuff look incredible.
Wonder how they will feel on a keyboard and mouse? Planing on getting a gamepad at the end of the month anyway, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

gently caress, all of this is academic until the fuckers return my RMAd card. Tomorrow supposedly. loving hope so.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RodShaft posted:

I got that 6750xt and power supply a few weeks ago, but haven't posted because imgur is terrible all of a sudden. Hopefully postimg works.

kick rear end, dude

Cygni posted:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Taima posted:

The forbidden west port is incredibly good.

Can confirm. So far it runs perfectly smooth and looks beautiful. Not a single hint of stuttering or performance drops. Just a flat consistent frame time graph.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RodShaft posted:

I got that 6750xt and power supply a few weeks ago, but haven't posted because imgur is terrible all of a sudden. Hopefully postimg works.

This is loving incredible. Thank you for posting it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I approve of the bubble wrap as an ESD mat.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That's actually a really nice looking card. Other than the "cool street style graffiti * on the back, that is. Not a fan of that bit, but the design is pretty classy otherwise

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I got a rig with a weirdo RTX A5000 (not the Ada version, the earlier one), would the 4080 Super be a significant upgrade ? For 4k gaming, hopefully 144hz.

I'd go with the 4090 but it feels wrong to pay full MSRP for a card that is in its 2nd year of existence. And waiting a year for the 5000 series feels like losing precious gaming time

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I got a rig with a weirdo RTX A5000 (not the Ada version, the earlier one), would the 4080 Super be a significant upgrade ? For 4k gaming, hopefully 144hz.

I'd go with the 4090 but it feels wrong to pay full MSRP for a card that is in its 2nd year of existence. And waiting a year for the 5000 series feels like losing precious gaming time
The 4080S is about 60% faster in games, which I'd call a pretty noticeable difference.

Do you care for any of the Quadro features? Curious how you ended up with it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

feels wrong to pay full MSRP for a card that is in its 2nd year of existence.

As someone who just did it… I can tell you it feels good to me :)
In my case, it wasn’t the right time before but it is now; so I pulled the trigger and am very happy about it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

started on Dragon's Dogma 2 - runs better than I feared with my 13600KF/4090 maintaining around 100ish FPS in the open world and first town at 4K/RT/DLSS quality.

the game is not a looker though. oof, it looks like an up-rezzed PS4 game. there are some very noticeable IQ issues e.g., shadows flickering.

i enjoyed the first game while it looked and ran like poo poo so ultimately, it's fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You could definitely sell that RTX A5000 and net enough for a good card for sure.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

RodShaft posted:

im really glad im part of these forums

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

repiv posted:

update on boy genius geohots plan to turn the AI industry upside down using AMD hardware

What was this dingus' master plan this time

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

I don't know who this guy is so I googled him and the cringe physically knocked me to the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDfhx4oPsI

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
does the Nvidia app beta have no sorting or searching of programs for program settings? And I can't tell what the default order is based on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know who this guy is so I googled him and the cringe physically knocked me to the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDfhx4oPsI

I think he's the guy that volunteered to fix Twitter for Musk and then had to ask others for help publicly

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Geohotz is the guy who managed to accidentally crack the first gen iPhone and create the first iOS jailbreak as a teenager and has spent 20 years since coasting on that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

sell cheap AI training boxes full of 7900XTXes, and fix the issues with AMDs toolchain in-house, but apparently they ran into a showstopper stability bug in the cards firmware and AMD isn't interested in helping them undercut their expensive accelerators

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Whatever happened with the 4090 cables that burnt? Did that ever get fixed, confirmed user error, still could happen?

Looking at a Windforce V2 4090, but wondering about the cables, don’t need more sources of stress in my life

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Whatever happened with the 4090 cables that burnt? Did that ever get fixed, confirmed user error, still could happen?

Looking at a Windforce V2 4090, but wondering about the cables, don’t need more sources of stress in my life

It was established not long after it became an issue that it was user error. Even aftermarket cables that were supposed to “fix” the supposedly bad cables, were themselves melting. The stock cables are fine as long as they are actually plugged in all the way.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

Geohotz is the guy who managed to accidentally crack the first gen iPhone and create the first iOS jailbreak as a teenager and has spent 20 years since coasting on that.

He did the PS3 after that too, I think.