Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Yuffie and Barret share a standing idle pose and my head canon is that she's imitating him because she thinks he's cool.

They put a lot of focus on the Yuffie and Barret relationship and it’s pretty cool imo. I am excited for them to blow up the Proud Clod and kill Scarlet next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

My suspicion for what they'll do for Yuffie is that she's going to steal the Huge Materia on behalf of Wutai government (on behalf of either Glenn-Sephiroth or Viceroy Saruf) and dealing with the fallout of that.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They put a lot of focus on the Yuffie and Barret relationship and it’s pretty cool imo. I am excited for them to blow up the Proud Clod and kill Scarlet next game.

One of my favorite Barret/Yuffie interactions was this

Chapter 11 spoilers because there is a linked video

https://twitter.com/xtrillvalentine/status/1767072810021601345

How Barret treats Yuffie as a father figure is adorable. And how Yuffie defends Barret at Corel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
another neat yuffie party dynamic is when Red drops his schtick they instantly click together as the two adolescent brats of the group

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I have a feeling that Yuffie and Cid's dynamic is going to be really funny

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Boy the Chadley challenge where you just get Earthbound and can’t loving do anything is fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Boy the Chadley challenge where you just get Earthbound and can’t loving do anything is fun

Stagger the enemy and it will release everyone who is Earthbound

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wamsutta posted:

yeah I had some trouble with that one. My advice is watch for the one who did the earthbound to get in the counter stance and hit them with the biggest fire spell you got.

Also Earthbound will only target who you're playing so you can bait it onto someone less important (ie. does not have fire)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 21, 2024

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I can’t do enough damage quickly enough to these things to stagger anything let alone do it with 2 characters when one gets bound, this fight is straight up enraging lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If I'm remembering right, OG Yuffie steals your materia like right after you meet, right? Before she's even a full-fledged party member? I can't see her doing it now, it doesn't fit her character and she's got too much trust with the group.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

If I'm remembering right, OG Yuffie steals your materia like right after you meet, right? Before she's even a full-fledged party member? I can't see her doing it now, it doesn't fit her character and she's got too much trust with the group.

no, it's only once you get to wutai

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I for one really dislike having yuffie around and I'm dismayed they gave her such a big role. She gets better later in the game and is almost tolerable at times but then always returns to her over the top everything , especially the materia obsessiveness. She's a 16 year old written by middle aged anime nerds, and it shows.

And then they inserted her in all these quests, instead of actually cool character barrett or red, who seem kinda like afterthoughts after their respective region is over. Barrett being sick of her is funny to watch tho.

I'm still not sure about how the wutai stuff will shake out, it's interesting how much bigger of a part it seems to play in this game. In the original I inadvertently skipped it until super late game and the entire area never really had an impact that way. Yuffie and wutai both went from completely skippable to essential story parts, they're really trying stuff out this time around.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Son of Rodney posted:

I for one really dislike having yuffie around and I'm dismayed they gave her such a big role. She gets better later in the game and is almost tolerable at times but then always returns to her over the top everything , especially the materia obsessiveness. She's a 16 year old written by middle aged anime nerds, and it shows.

And then they inserted her in all these quests, instead of actually cool character barrett or red, who seem kinda like afterthoughts after their respective region is over. Barrett being sick of her is funny to watch tho.

I'm still not sure about how the wutai stuff will shake out, it's interesting how much bigger of a part it seems to play in this game. In the original I inadvertently skipped it until super late game and the entire area never really had an impact that way. Yuffie and wutai both went from completely skippable to essential story parts, they're really trying stuff out this time around.

yuffie is good

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

At first when playing through the remake I thought she was annoying than I realized she was the "Zell" (FF8) of the party and now shes cool. Shes the hyperactive kid to the more serious people in the party. If you have no nostalgia to FF8 this won't help at all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Son of Rodney posted:

IcePhoenix posted:

Oftentimes there are things I read in these threads that genuinely make me wonder if we're playing the same game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone gets the same amount of sidequests.

Red gets all his done early though (even if he gets a secret extra technically-not-a-sidequest) and Barret has a lot of his late.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
How long you spend in certain regions definitely makes the sidequest balance feel weird, despite their even division among the squad. Tifa and Barret have loads of late-game sidequests but I spent at least a 1/3rd of my total playthrough in Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon where between both of them, there's only one before chapter 12.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CapnAndy posted:

If you select the "wrong" answer in her recruitment dialogue chain, she'll steal some Gil and take off.

IIRC, when you recruit her after that, she'll even offer to give back what Gil she has left over after medical bills.

And a random question, I know people have mentioned you can see things listed like everyone's affection score when you clear the game, but can you look up other things like what synergy abilities got used the most?

I know for a fact my top two most-used are Cyclonic Kick and Avalanche Two-Step, but I'm mildly curious if I can look it up.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2024

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Quote is not edit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CPFortest posted:

How long you spend in certain regions definitely makes the sidequest balance feel weird, despite their even division among the squad. Tifa and Barret have loads of late-game sidequests but I spent at least a 1/3rd of my total playthrough in Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon where between both of them, there's only one before chapter 12.

Hey Tifa also gets one at chapter 11!

But yeah some characters have their sidequests balanced strangely. Red is all done by chapter 10 and Barret gets like 3 or 4 in 12 alone. While Aerith just kinda very consistently has one in each region.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's also weird how every zone has roughly the same amount of World Intel stuff on the map, but some zones just have less side quests than others.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Elena's english voice is not hitting it for me but I still love the Elena and Yuffie rivalrie for most "Green/newbish"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you select the "wrong" answer in her recruitment dialogue chain, she'll steal some Gil and take off.

IIRC, when you recruit her after that, she'll even offer to give back what Gil she has left over after medical bills.

And a random question, I know people have mentioned you can see things listed like everyone's affection score when you clear the game, but can you look up other things like what synergy abilities got used the most?

I know for a fact my top two most-used are Cyclonic Kick and Avalanche Two-Step, but I'm mildly curious if I can look it up.

Kind of. It'll list some categories and how far you've progressed in each, but doesn't seem to get into the crunch of how many synergy abilities you've used specifically. Notably, it'll give a total for how many affection-related conversations you've had, but not exactly which. So you can't tell from the game alone which you missed (or biffed).

Honestly I was surprised how much further along I was with Barret than anybody else, despite having Aerith and Yuffie in my party much more often. I probably just missed like one conversation each while finishing basically everything for Barret.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 21, 2024

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Man, gently caress this sit up bullshit, it can get in the bin. I kinda want the Wristguard reward you get for beating Ronnie - is it worth pushing through? Plz say no ;_;

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just realized you can press L2/R2 at Gold Saucer shops to swap between all of them, you don’t have to physically go to each square.

By the way for anyone else that was struggling with the 3D Brawler secret boss, here’s all his combos, in order of appearance(though he can still use earlier combos)(Move/input for dodging)
- Right Straight/Right Up
Left Hook/Left Left
Right Hook/Right Right
Left Straight/Left Up
Right Uppercut/ Right Down

- Left Uppercut/Left Down
Right Hook/Right Right
Left Uppercut/Left Up

- Left Hook/Left Left
Left Hook/Left Left
Right Straight/Right Up
Left Uppercut/Left Down

- Right Straight/Right Up
Left Hook/Left Left
Right Hook/Right Right
Left Straight/Left Up
Left Straight/Left Up
Left Uppercut/Left Down

His final combo is a variation of his first to mess you up. It was always the last one he used for me so he can probably only use it later in the fight

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Trip Hazard posted:

Man, gently caress this sit up bullshit, it can get in the bin. I kinda want the Wristguard reward you get for beating Ronnie - is it worth pushing through? Plz say no ;_;
I realize that "don't gently caress up" sounds like facile advice, but... that is how you win the sit ups. Your pace doesn't need to be perfect, you just need to not make mistakes in the pattern, because the mistake animation takes like six seconds and every opponent is hard-coded to make at least one mistake. If you're doing sit-ups and they're not for six seconds, you can build a massive lead.

It also paradoxically gets easier if you get a streak going, because hitting the buttons too soon is the #1 risk and the faster timing mitigates it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Trip Hazard posted:

crunches aren't worth it unless you want the platinum. the champion's belt is a great accessory but it's not essential and there are several others with similar effects

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The gently caress am I missing with the Red Dragon fight in Hard Mode? I distinctly remember his Crimson Breath attack not covering literally the entire floor in lava and the whole point of it being you run to the place where you can not die, and also that if you cripple his stomach it will decrease the size of the place where you die. But now he has a new version of the attack with a new name that covers the entire floor even after crippling the stomach, and everybody just dies with no apparent recourse. Is this just an Elemental check or what? Doesn't seem like the game's style but I don't see how else you're supposed to avoid this, especially since without a targetable enemy nobody can get in the air for long enough.

e: Aerith has Fire Elemental Armour so clearly this isn't even that. The gently caress is happening here?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 22, 2024

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

RatHat posted:

Just realized you can press L2/R2 at Gold Saucer shops to swap between all of them, you don’t have to physically go to each square.

You are a saint.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

oh my god

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey Tifa also gets one at chapter 11!

But yeah some characters have their sidequests balanced strangely. Red is all done by chapter 10 and Barret gets like 3 or 4 in 12 alone. While Aerith just kinda very consistently has one in each region.

I forgot about Nibelheim true. I think a part of it is that ubiquitous open world problem with story driven games wherein the pacing is completely player determined, and that leads to some wonkiness in balancing the game's content out.

It's not really a design issue, but something that just naturally emerges from how a flexible region-by-region playstyle works. We'll see if Part 3 has the same issues but my hunch is that the side content will play differently since the actual main narrative path and character beats still left to adapt are all much more straightforward and propulsive than everything covered in Rebirth.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I really wish they would patch in accessibility options for colorblindness. I’m RG colorblind and keep missing purple chests that are near anything green. The one in the Gongaga airstrip was basically invisible to me until I read online where it was because it was among shrubs and foliage. I also missed Tifa’s weapon on the boat, I probably looked right at it and didn’t even realize it was there. Kinda annoying considering how hard AAA games lean into accessibility these days.

ohh lol so that's why i didn't find Tifa's weapon. makes sense

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

The gently caress am I missing with the Red Dragon fight in Hard Mode? I distinctly remember his Crimson Breath attack not covering literally the entire floor in lava and the whole point of it being you run to the place where you can not die, and also that if you cripple his stomach it will decrease the size of the place where you die. But now he has a new version of the attack with a new name that covers the entire floor even after crippling the stomach, and everybody just dies with no apparent recourse. Is this just an Elemental check or what? Doesn't seem like the game's style but I don't see how else you're supposed to avoid this, especially since without a targetable enemy nobody can get in the air for long enough.

e: Aerith has Fire Elemental Armour so clearly this isn't even that. The gently caress is happening here?

Apparently it’s bugged on Hard mode and you can’t cripple his stomach. So put up Manaward when he does his fire breath I guess.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Head Case is going to make me cry, the goddamn AI keep attacking the two little guys and ruining it for me and I can’t solo the three I just get wiped so fast lol. I’m really not good at video games I feel like I don’t remember FF games being hard and this poo poo is basically a souls like to me

I think it’s time I turn off dynamic mode

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RatHat posted:

Apparently it’s bugged on Hard mode and you can’t cripple his stomach. So put up Manaward when he does his fire breath I guess.

I mean, I reduced its HP to zero and a prompt said "you crippled the chest" but maybe the bug is that the logic is broken... but only on hard mode? That seems kinda weird even for a bug. Man why didn't that get patched.

I managed to cheese one using Radiant Ward but with a sliver of health left on account of me having to spend valuable time rezzing people after the first Crimson Breath instead of murdering him he managed to get off a second and it started right on top of the ward. This sucks incredibly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Head Case is going to make me cry, the goddamn AI keep attacking the two little guys and ruining it for me and I can’t solo the three I just get wiped so fast lol. I’m really not good at video games I feel like I don’t remember FF games being hard and this poo poo is basically a souls like to me

I think it’s time I turn off dynamic mode

i saw what they wanted me to do for head case and immediately went in on easy with just barret

the difficulty settings below hard mode are there for your enjoyment. i usually stick to dynamic because on easy/normal everything vaporizes when i look at it cross-eyed, but there are times when it's just needlessly punishing

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

i saw what they wanted me to do for head case and immediately went in on easy with just barret

the difficulty settings below hard mode are there for your enjoyment. i usually stick to dynamic because on easy/normal everything vaporizes when i look at it cross-eyed, but there are times when it's just needlessly punishing

I’m trying just Barrett on easy but I can’t do enough damage and the little guys end up suiciding

Also why does lock on not actually mean lock on in this game? I’ve had this problem since the tutorial. I can’t consistently actually lock on to the target I want. And when I do it automatically changes anyway

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

I realize that "don't gently caress up" sounds like facile advice, but... that is how you win the sit ups.

I kept messing up on the green input. I was holding the trigger halfway until the circle filled, then pulling it fully, and Tifa would just flop over. Anyway, it's making my hands hurt something chronic, so it's time to stop

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CPFortest posted:

I forgot about Nibelheim true. I think a part of it is that ubiquitous open world problem with story driven games wherein the pacing is completely player determined, and that leads to some wonkiness in balancing the game's content out.

It's not really a design issue, but something that just naturally emerges from how a flexible region-by-region playstyle works. We'll see if Part 3 has the same issues but my hunch is that the side content will play differently since the actual main narrative path and character beats still left to adapt are all much more straightforward and propulsive than everything covered in Rebirth.

I think a bit of it is a design issue just in that Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon have much shorter main story than the other regions despite being just as big a place and it makes all the World Intel openworld stuff stick out a bit more. I think Cosmo Canyon still mostly works alright for me because the sidequests there also have you bouncing around the entire place so at least if you're doing the quests you are exploring everywhere anyway but it still stands out.

Like Nibel is also a place you don't spend much time in but compared to the previous two its way more compact so it kinda balances out a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I’m trying just Barrett on easy but I can’t do enough damage and the little guys end up suiciding

Also why does lock on not actually mean lock on in this game? I’ve had this problem since the tutorial. I can’t consistently actually lock on to the target I want. And when I do it automatically changes anyway

the default lock on options are terrible. go into the settings and adjust it so you can only change lock-on targets with the dpad and make the camera follow whatever you're locked onto

then against the mindflayer, lock onto it, activate bonus rounds, use normal attacks/focus shot until it staggers and then just hose it down with everything you've got. the screamers move at the speed of smell so you should be able to keep plenty of distance between you and them while you're killing the mind flayer