Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Duo does that with Spanish every so often, but it’s always going backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Also didn't they switch fully to AI translation?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
With their English course I pretty regularly get ticked off about how their AI text-to-speech voices pronounce things with weird intonation/emphasis that no native speaker would ever use. Seems like kind of you know, an important thing to get right for people trying to learn a language.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Luckily, I almost exclusively remember to do my duolingo lessons after 9pm when my phone has already switched to bedtime mode and locked the volume at mute

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

His Divine Shadow posted:

What a gear shift should look like, also ignition key in correct position.

You can't get these anymore because everything has gotten shittier for no reason.

The dial is the next best thing--if you're gonna let the computer drive the car, might as well make the controls unobtrusive.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrQwerty posted:

just classic (i wish my poo poo looked that good)

:smuggo:

Note the stereo is optional

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

doctorfrog posted:

This is like that story about when cake mixes started hitting the shelves, they decided to omit egg powder (or whatever) since beating an egg into the thing for the test groups "felt more like you were really baking something."

That said, I would love a set of four toggle switches mounted near the rear view mirror that all had to be flipped, one by one, to turn the engine on.

:sickos: Yes! Make my car more like plane or better yet, a spacecraft.

I want the switches. Make me have to activate the battery, inverter, main electric bus, trip computer, and all the safety equipment with their own breaker switch. Verb 37 P07 to initiate a diagnostic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm down with cars having controls like a bomber from the 1940's

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm down with cars having controls like a bomber from the 1940's

They took this from us

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 21, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

skooma512 posted:

They took this from us

turn key to accessory power on to start fuel pump -> pump gas pedal twice to prime carb fuel bowl -> pull choke -> turn key to fire starter motor -> depress gas pedal to open butterfly valves to wide open -> release starter and gas pedal when motor fires up -> trim choke to ~1,000 rpm -> turn on radiator fan

the cold start up sequence on my rx7 lol

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

They took this from us

Weird place to put a French press

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TotalLossBrain posted:

:smuggo:

Note the stereo is optional

I haven't driven a car like this in 10+ years but every once In a while I reach up there to shift.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't driven a manual transmission in 20 years, but I still find myself reaching to the right of my knee while waiting at red lights to jiggle the shifter while it is in neutral.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

withak posted:

I haven't driven a manual transmission in 20 years, but I still find myself reaching to the right of my knee while waiting at red lights to jiggle the shifter while it is in neutral.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

turn key to accessory power on to start fuel pump -> pump gas pedal twice to prime carb fuel bowl -> pull choke -> turn key to fire starter motor -> depress gas pedal to open butterfly valves to wide open -> release starter and gas pedal when motor fires up -> trim choke to ~1,000 rpm -> turn on radiator fan

This is literally how you start a small plane

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Watching March Madness is pure awful this year. Paramount+ advertised NCAA March madness streaming this year. Perfect. Less than 15 bucks/month to see the games. However- this only includes CBS. To see the other three channels you need MAX. Not only MAX, but the B/R sports add on! Fortunately, the B/R add on is included this month- but coming soon it will be another 10 dollars/month.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Doesnt the streaming services like YoutubeTV and Hulu TV etc have it all? I know last year they YoutubeTV had a 4 game split screen option going. You select which games you want to watch in each part.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 21, 2024

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Philthy posted:

Doesnt the streaming services like YoutubeTV and Hulu TV etc have it all? I know last year they YoutubeTV had a 4 game split screen option going. You select which games you want to watch in each part.
Yes- but I’m too poor for YouTube Live and Hulu TV due to grocery prices and rent.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

The good Jeeps work like this as well

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Complaining about Adobe products is like complaining that garbage stinks, but here goes anyway:

Acrobat Pro has gone from just bad to completely broken. Constant hangs and crashes. Unless it gets fixed, I'm not sure how we can continue using it.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Failson posted:

Complaining about Adobe products is like complaining that garbage stinks, but here goes anyway:

Acrobat Pro has gone from just bad to completely broken. Constant hangs and crashes. Unless it gets fixed, I'm not sure how we can continue using it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I finally got forced onto the new version of Microsoft Teams at work and it still doesn't support Windows notifications. So now I have to keep a Teams window open all the time to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks for removing that feature Microsoft.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

wash bucket posted:

I finally got forced onto the new version of Microsoft Teams at work and it still doesn't support Windows notifications. So now I have to keep a Teams window open all the time to make sure I don't miss anything.

my teams app on my iphone keeps giving me ghost notification badges. keeps telling me theres 2 new unread messages then i open it and whoops all caught up false alarm you dont have to touch the computer right now

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought I'd pick up House of Leaves to read on an upcoming vacation, and Amazon continues to be shittier.

You get a tin sign with a stolen picture of the book when you search for it. "Sponsored", too, so Amazon is doing an extra bang up job.

Then there's thebl product description which I saw because I was trying to make sure I had the right edition:

None of that makes sense to the point that I don't know if it's part of some metanarrative or if an AI went rogue after trying to make a description of House of Leaves.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Writing incomprehensible garbage is not going rogue, that is what large language models always do

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

that's a nazi number

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Convex posted:

that's a nazi number

Right, the scam house of leaves tin sign is also nazi, it's how nazis identity each other without anyone else knowing, they put up these tin signs in their homes and car windows

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

wash bucket posted:

It could be worse, such as if you needed to use the Mac version of Teams :negative:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

A colleague left me a voicemail on Teams this week (I'm on holiday). I didn't know Teams had voicemail.

I only know about this because I saw a preview of the transcript on my watch (which has now vanished). When I go into the Teams app, it's got a lovely page that's like "this is where your voicemails will be when you get some :v:"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The help desk contacted me on teams yesterday and I had a heart attack. They asked if they could call me and I had to admit my desk internet phone didn’t work so I had to give them my cell phone #

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Isentropy posted:

Also didn't they switch fully to AI translation?

Yeah, so basically all courses on there can only get worse now.

I thought they were volunteer-made before so I have no idea why they did this. They already weren’t paying anyone!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

euphronius posted:

The help desk contacted me on teams yesterday and I had a heart attack. They asked if they could call me and I had to admit my desk internet phone didn’t work so I had to give them my cell phone #

Your secondary decoy cell phone right? Right!?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, so basically all courses on there can only get worse now.

I thought they were volunteer-made before so I have no idea why they did this. They already weren’t paying anyone!

They probably had to pay a few translators to check over the volunteer work for Q&A reason. Now they (think they) don’t!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

euphronius posted:

so I had to give them my cell phone #

You have made a terrible mistake

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

euphronius posted:

Why didn't you just say "No" ???

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

I thought I'd pick up House of Leaves to read on an upcoming vacation, and Amazon continues to be shittier.

You get a tin sign with a stolen picture of the book when you search for it. "Sponsored", too, so Amazon is doing an extra bang up job.

Then there's thebl product description which I saw because I was trying to make sure I had the right edition:

None of that makes sense to the point that I don't know if it's part of some metanarrative or if an AI went rogue after trying to make a description of House of Leaves.

That product description is definitely from the book, at least from the edition I bought in, oh, 2009 or so.

I gotta tip my hat to the scammer, that's a drat good grift. It almost makes me want to buy a metal sign of a three-quarters picture of a book cover.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Right, the scam house of leaves tin sign is also nazi, it's how nazis identity each other without anyone else knowing, they put up these tin signs in their homes and car windows

:ok:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
petty boug, but a localish chain cafe is now charging for the bread roll that used to come free with a salad. Sure it’s 5kr but like, it was free maybe a month ago?

On my break I intend to go thrifting and I know there will be people younger than me and oh god please leave. You all look like babies. I want to buy my second hand miniskirts in peace (it’s me I’m the one that got lovely).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Good on any kids who thrift instead of buying plastic trash from shein/ temu / whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Good on any kids who thrift instead of buying plastic trash from shein/ temu / whatever
I can’t complain there except the non-boutique shops are riddled with Shein trash. It’s been really bad the past year or so, where seeing an H&M item is a welcome relief.

I just wish the kids understood that stopping in the middle of the aisles to look aimlessly on your phone is a pain to anyone else who wants to shop. Also not everything needs to be on goddamn speakerphone but that’s a multigenerational irritant.