Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Hasbro doesn't kill the golden goose so much as tear it apart and say 'I don't get it, there were golden eggs in here'

After the layoffs, I liked the trade press bragging(????) about Habro's valuation, by way of the cut they got from the liscensing. Seems like a great time for Larian to walk away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Saraiguma posted:

the divinity systems were leaps and bounds ahead of any dungeons and dragons product tbh

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine being the fool who doesn't believe in Larian after DOS2 and BG3.

right right we all remember loving depleting different colored hp bars so your abilities could actually work, the famous "you go then i go then you go then i go etc regardless of stats" inititative system, and the hilarious euro wit that accented every dialogue and plot beat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, glad we're all in agreement then.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I appreciate the devs giving me a game that I really loved, and I believe they can do it again. But more than that I appreciate there being a developer out there that will slow down, try new stuff and not just rush to get as much money out of their hot new product as possible with diminishing returns.

That's how you get Bioware of the 2010s

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly I'd love if Larian did a bunch of smaller projects before making another epic RPG that will dominate me for a year and change.

Shame about Divinity Fallen Heroes never coming out.

What would be really crazy would be Larian giving Dragon Commander another go, but this time like good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is not a good day at WOTC, oof.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
What else has happened?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ZearothK posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1770875283844837687?t=ozMQjx9eHC04kkEClb3rWQ&s=19

I wonder if WotC having fired everyone who worked with Larian on their end even before BG3 came out somehow soured relations.

Man, what a gigantic bummer. I thought some type of DLC would be a given seeing how BG3 sold, what, ten times the number of copies originally projected? I wonder if we'll ever get the full lowdown on why Larian decided to say no thank you but I imagine that Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast laying people off left and right recently didn't help. Anyway RIP Baldur's Gate 3 I guess, at least they're going out on a high note. It's not every day a game comes along that feels like it was made specifically for me.

I also 100% expect Hasbro/WotC to outsource the Baldur's Gate IP to a different developer so they can try to continue to print them money. Wouldn't be surprised if we see some type of underwhelming MMO spinoff down the line kinda like what happened to Knights of the Old Republic.

Anyway, Looking forward to seeing what Larian does next.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ZearothK posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1770875283844837687?t=ozMQjx9eHC04kkEClb3rWQ&s=19

I wonder if WotC having fired everyone who worked with Larian on their end even before BG3 came out somehow soured relations.

You can absolutely put money on "Hasbro screwing the loving pooch" as a huge reason Larian walked away from this. Good on Larian for keeping to their principles, and absolutely gently caress Hasbro for denying us any future content with this incredibly detailed world, characters, and mechanics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Okay if you're not going to give us DLC just give us a drat NG+. That's not real DLC.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I would have probably enjoyed more BG3 content, but I can completely understand Larian wanting to move on. I do wonder if this statement precludes some kind of Definitive Edition like they've done before, with some minor additions and QoL stuff though.

BG3 is great in spite of the DND 5e ruleset. The system itself is mediocre and Larian has already publicly talked about how it's almost not possible to faithfully implement high level DND because the wheels fall off the car past level 12 or so, what do you even do with an expansion?

Being free of those constraints is good. Hasbro also probably sucks rear end to work with.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Saul Kain posted:

Hopefully we get some fleshed-out modding tools so there can be some further player-made campaigns. I love the combat and characters, I'm just over the story since I've done it several times now. Sucks about no DLC.

BG3 is way too high fidelity and high budget, GemRB/Infinity Engine would be better for that.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

clearly the obvious next step is pathfinder 2e

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My friends and I are going to attempt getting together once a week for a 4 person playthrough. Is there anything overly complicated about 4 people trying to play the game at once or does it work pretty well?

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
3 months later and im finally done with playthrough 1! The last fight felt like the first in which my Lore Bard Tav was a bit supurflous in, my god though, Lazel drat near killed that loving dragon entirely on her own.

My final team was Tav, Lazel, Gale and my act III MVP, owlbear Jaheria, who made short work of the Emperor, sorry bud, but Bae'Zel wanted future mindflayer Orpheus free, and i go with the source of my joy. Also, not sorry, you were a creepy dick.

My first strategy for the fight fell apart when it turned out Globe of Invulnearbility doesn't prevent status conditions. My second, however- get everyone hepped up on speed potions, cast that mindflayer power where actions and bonuses are interchangeable, and summon every ally possible- worked *much* better.

The second phase was all Gale and Jaheria, with Tav and Laezel taking a little break.

The epilogue was sweet! Given I decided Nothing of Value was Lost when Orin took him, meloncholy Halsin was surprisingly touching.

Overall, what a game. I had high expectations from DOS2, and they were more than matched. Act 2 is one of the best atmospheres ive ever seen in a game, and while act 3 has a more meandering pace, thats something i really enjoyed.

Already planning my next run, which i might even finish in two months this time

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I somehow lost the Necromancy of Thay and Dark Amethyst in between the gnarled treehouse and the interior of the goblin fort, and only realized this as I was about to answer the Shadowfell to go after Nightsong and the quest for it autofailed. I'm pretty sure at some point I must have sent them to the camp inventory, but I couldn't find them in the Travelers Chest. I tried to download cheat engine to spawn them, but my browser blocked the tables as a dangerous download, so... do I have any option other than loading my save from the interior of the fort and backtracking across the world to see if I can find them, then loading my current save and going to that spot?

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 22, 2024

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

My friends and I are going to attempt getting together once a week for a 4 person playthrough. Is there anything overly complicated about 4 people trying to play the game at once or does it work pretty well?

it's obviously much more chaotic than single player, but it works great and the chaos is great imo

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Not quite sure if this needs spoilers, but

I somehow lost the Necromancy of Thay and Dark Amethyst in between the gnarled treehouse and the interior of the goblin fort, and only realized this as I was about to answer the Shadowfell to go after Nightsong. I'm pretty sure at some point I must have sent them to the camp inventory, but I couldn't find them in the Travelers Chest. I tried to download cheat engine to spawn them, but my browser blocked the tables as a dangerous download, so... do I have any option other than loading my save from the interior of the fort and backtracking across the world map?

install norbytes script extender and run these:

code:
TemplateAddTo("73ea8888-ed82-4ca5-b9f9-0c9119873507", GetHostCharacter(), 1)

TemplateAddTo("f3b79dc6-aa5e-46a9-828e-6f6ce0021c48", GetHostCharacter(), 1)
script extender might cause a mod warning on launch, just ignore it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tarbrush posted:

What else has happened?

Just this as far as I know. They announced some new stuff as well, and are having a panel tomorrow on D&D. Anyway this is sad, but makes sense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ZearothK posted:

If they do the robust mod support, photomode, crossplay and other QoL improvements honestly they should hang up their hat, the game would be pretty much done and wouldn't need anything else really. DD2 is calling anyways.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Woolie Wool posted:

BG3 is way too high fidelity and high budget, GemRB/Infinity Engine would be better for that.

Yeah. I'm fine with Karlach and Co. looking meaningfully at me while I read the dialogue tbh.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

But doctor, I am Pagliacci

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Crazy how the difference between a fight requiring a short rest and a long rest comes towards the end of a fight. I can't tell you how many times I killed the boss and heavy-hitters only to get beaten within an inch of my life by the riff-raff. Would have been interesting if mobs got a demoralized debuff after their leader is dead, but maybe that's not in D&D 5e's toolset.

I did cheat-engine in that Returning Pike for Karlach. I won't have this amount of time to play BG3 again, so gotta make it count. Chrome wouldn't let me download the table, but Edge did. She's got two throws a turn at level 7 and is mopping poo poo up.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mike the TV posted:

But doctor, I am Pagliacci

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Zodium posted:

install norbytes script extender and run these:

code:
TemplateAddTo("73ea8888-ed82-4ca5-b9f9-0c9119873507", GetHostCharacter(), 1)

TemplateAddTo("f3b79dc6-aa5e-46a9-828e-6f6ce0021c48", GetHostCharacter(), 1)
script extender might cause a mod warning on launch, just ignore it.

For some reason the one for the Dark Amethyst works, but the Necromancy of Thay does not, I can't think of a reason why that would be.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
As a durge, will (act 2) I still get slayer form if I let shart kill the nightsong? I went back to the inn and saw isobel was dead, wondering if I'll get credit for that haha.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Janissary Hop posted:

I don't trust them to go back to the crappy self made RPG systems they used for the D:OS games or any other original project so this is a big RIP for me.

Yeah, more or less this.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is having a rogue in the party, for things like lockpicking, as vital as it first seems?

I'm working my first play through and I just got to Tiefling town after the beach.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Anyone with sleight of hand can lockpick well enough, especially if you have someone with guidance.

Edit: and Laezel has an ability in her “common” bar to give her proficiency bonus to any given attribute’s skills, so she can also be a good lock picker.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Saraiguma posted:

the divinity systems were leaps and bounds ahead of any dungeons and dragons product tbh

After having played both OS games, I will heavily beg to differ. They play more like puzzle games.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Honor mode is a trip. After wiping a bunch to dumb poo poo very very early I'm level 5 starting to move on to the non-trivial stuff. Thought I'd go gently caress with the Spectator, who had never given me any trouble on tactician. I don't think the fight is different on honor mode? But I must have gotten the worst rolls ever cause that MFer had 3/4 of my party dead or incapacited for a bunch of turns by round 2. Thankfully he spared rogue Astarion so I dashed as many times as I could and barely made it out of there. Was not expecting that to be the encounter that almost took me out.

I peeked back there later and the Spectator and ALL of the Drow are up there hostile. Might just leave it alone at this point. Maybe if I can sneak close enough I could open with a Silence and then blast some Drow to get them on my side? I'm very worried about the whole party getting incapacitated immediately again before I can turn the tide. Honor mode is not the time to gently caress around and find out.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is having a rogue in the party, for things like lockpicking, as vital as it first seems?

I'm working my first play through and I just got to Tiefling town after the beach.

yeah it doesn't have to be a rogue but you want someone with high dexterity and sleight of hand proficiency. There are a shitload of locked and trapped things. Sometimes you can get around them by other means, sometimes not. Rogue, monk, college of swords bard, ranger are all reasonable choices. Also there are gloves you can buy in the Creche in act 1 that set your dex to 18 if you insist on running zero dex characters in your party for some reason.

Always have someone with guidance in the party

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

After having played both OS games, I will heavily beg to differ. They play more like puzzle games.

dnd is also a puzzle game, just a bad one

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's sad but then again it's also fun to speculate about new IPs

you know what genre fell from grace when BioWare abandoned it? that's right, after a Dragon Age-like they'll make a Mass Effect-like

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nucleic Acids posted:

For some reason the one for the Dark Amethyst works, but the Necromancy of Thay does not, I can't think of a reason why that would be.

Are you by chance using one of the auto sorting bags mods? I've read that messes with the Thay book since it can't go into a bag

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's sad but then again it's also fun to speculate about new IPs

you know what genre fell from grace when BioWare abandoned it? that's right, after a Dragon Age-like they'll make a Mass Effect-like

I would unironically love to see Larian make a turn based Mass Effect game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Make a Lancer game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am so hyped for Lancer Tactics later this year.

They said their next project is not D:OS3 so yeah, likely a new IP. A sci-fi thingie would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I'm super happy that for once a studio making a successful game doesn't mean they're only going to make sequels forever

When a studio is good i want them to make new things