Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My old (gm) Isuzu from the 90s solved this my just having the lights on all the time, like a motorcycle. Bing boom so simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Mazda’s current automatic headlight setup makes perfect sense.

On the stalk, the knob is always at “Auto.” If you twist back to turn the lights off, it bounces back to Auto, and the lights will turn on the next time you start the car. I think they’ll even turn back on once you get over a certain speed (20 MPH?). If you manually turn the lights on, the car will turn them off a minute or two after cutting the ignition. No dead batteries and no “whoops I’m driving with my lights off.”

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:hmmyes:

Mazda's wiper stalk got me, though- they have a graphic with variably sized bars that looks like it's for intermittent wipers (and thus "larger bar" would mean "less wipers"), but it's for the auto wipers and the larger bar implies more active wipers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hate when it rains and I’m in a rental. I can never figure the stalks out. Sometimes the car will have the auto wipers which is nice

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Last time I was in a rental when it rained the wipers were so dried out they barely did anything

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Fifty Three posted:

:hmmyes:

Mazda's wiper stalk got me, though- they have a graphic with variably sized bars that looks like it's for intermittent wipers (and thus "larger bar" would mean "less wipers"), but it's for the auto wipers and the larger bar implies more active wipers.

Most rain-sensing stalks work that way. But if you turn off the rain-sensing function they act like regular intermittent wipers. That said, “Bigger bar” on Mazda’s interval wiper diagram has always meant “faster” as well. At least, that was the case in my 2011 3 with regular, non-automatic wipers.

Automatic lights work very well for me, but speed-sensing or weather-sensing wipers never quite get the timing right. They’d either be too slow in heavy weather or way too aggressive in light weather. Adjusting the sensitivity never seemed to help. I turned off the rain-sensing function in my CX-30 after about a year of trying to get used to it.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 20, 2024

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

I hate when it rains and I’m in a rental. I can never figure the stalks out. Sometimes the car will have the auto wipers which is nice

I've had my jeep a year now and still have to look and think real hard about how to use the wipers.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Any time I've driven a car with rain sensing wipers in the rain I'd always have preferred manual intermittent. It never got it quite right.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
It's me, I'm the idiot with my lights off.

I sold my Subaru, and was used to perpetual auto headlights. Waiting for a new car, we only really "need" one vehicle, but I borrow a car here and there.

Borrow my parents Accord one day. They don't use auto headlights, never trusted it. So I probably bumbled into work just after sunrise with DRLs only. Bright morning.

That night I go out to a work dinner. Old Wisconsin super club, in the woods. The opposite of well lit. We wrap up and leave for the night. Their parking lot has no lights. Several of us end up bumbling around the lot in a big circle, looking for the exit. We came in on an obvious one way, but the exit wasn't marked at all. We all drove around in a hilarious conga line until someone found the outlet. I was toward the back.

Snake back out down another one lane road in the woods next to a swamp and various buildings that are maybe 2 steps above ramshackle. It wasn't until we hit the main road and the car in front of me left the stop sign, that I finally realized my lights were off. This is as someone who hates over bright displays in my face. It took the complete absence of any lights at all except the headlights of the car behind me, before I realized something was wrong. Sure this is a combo of unfamiliar vehicle and location, but that's the whole reason this shouldn't be a possible problem.This poo poo is stupid.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Franco Caution posted:

Its wild to get a rental car you actually really like driving, but then there is some 'feature' or design they choose to implement that makes you realize you would never buy said vehicle because of it.

This is me with the 2024 Volvo XC60 Recharge.
This thing is ridiculously quick. I love zipping around and taking off from a stop. Driving experience, top notch. I think this helps me realize my next purchase is a PHEV. If it was down to just driving, Id rent this vehicle again.... BUT THEN....

The loving infotainment is really bad.

1) The vehicle never auto connects to my phone. Each time I start the car it asks if I want to click to connect my device or click to connect to Bluetooth. Regardless that my phone is paired, it doesn't auto select or connect.
Each time I start out, i have to go to Bluetooth devices, look through 12 other old phones people already saved ages ago, then pick the Phone and Audio buttons next to my phone. Even then it doesnt auto start playing music. I have to take out my phone, launch Spotify etc to get going on music. Say I stop somewhere 5 minutes later and shut the vehicle off, I have to repeat the process mentioned above again.
2) It keeps yelling at me in the gauge cluster to allow location to be turned on to use Maps. I turn it on from settings, but it later turns it back off.

Why? I thought maybe it was my device so I was going to remove my phone and re-pair the device. Only I cant. There is no buttons or settings to remove a device.
I check the owners manual and see the following:

"Removing devices connected to Bluetooth"
Tap on. at the bottom of the display.
Press Connectivity.
Under Bluetooth, tap on the arrow after the phone's name.
Press Forget device. The phone is no longer registered to the car.

The catch is there is no arrow next to the phone name. I tried to remove my device, as well as one of the other 12 devices from previous renters. No dice.
I cant find anywhere in the menus to delete any of these profiles.
This is driving me crazy.

Anytime I get into a rental now the first thing I do is reset all the infotainment poo poo to factory default. Chances are people have hosed up all the default settings.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Anytime I get into a rental now the first thing I do is reset all the infotainment poo poo to factory default. Chances are people have hosed up all the default settings.

Wise, but the Volvo infotainment is actually terrible

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's always:

Bass: +10
Mid: 0
Treble: -10
Fade: full rear
Balance: full right

Who is doing this and why

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The same people who cruise through my neighborhood with their bass so high it rattles my windows :sigh:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The problem is I cant....this time :(
To reset the infotainment you have to have both key fobs in the car. Of course this is the one time National Rental didnt give me 2 gigantic gaudy key FOBS.
Also, to add to my weird poo poo thats happening with this vehicle:
- The car just randomly decides to put on the AC to MAX each time the car starts. Its not on auto climate and at no time do I want full max AC when its 52 degrees out.
-The 3D camera view cant decide if or when its going to work.
Ive gone the same route into my parking garage and each time it picks a different view going to the same spot. Sometimes it does full 3d camera view which is what it should be doing. Other times its just the rear section and the rest of the view is blacked out. Its completely random and weird.

Car is a loving lemon and it sucks because this ruined an otherwise awesome power plant and rental.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here's the next gen iX3 (EV) concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG2jy6UfDmQ

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

How do you make the i4 look decent, and then gently caress up the ix3 so bad? I was hoping this would be more i4 and less ix styling wise, but nope.

Scares me a bit to see what the ICE X3 is going to look like for 2025.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Franco Caution posted:

How do you make the i4 look decent, and then gently caress up the ix3 so bad? I was hoping this would be more i4 and less ix styling wise, but nope.

Scares me a bit to see what the ICE X3 is going to look like for 2025.

Both the Vision Neue Klasse concepts look great :colbert:, What are you talking about. The 4 series is the car that everyone hates the styling of. What bizzaro world are you living in?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the i4 and the 4 series is not the same

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the i4 and the 4 series is not the same

They literally are, its an electric 4 series gran coupe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kill me now posted:

They literally are, its an electric 4 series gran coupe.

weird, i had in my head that they were different

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Wait, tell me there isn't someone who likes that godawful pig snout on the 4. Have their eyes been gouged out with a melon baller and replaced with cantaloupe?

e: plans, within plans, within plans

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 21, 2024

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

BloodBag posted:

Wait, tell me there isn't someone who likes that godawful pig snout on the 4. Have their eyes been gouged out with a melon baller and replaced with cantaloupe?

e: plans, within plans, within plans

Full disclosure, my wife had a 2022 san remo green m440 and it looked good and was a great car until we had to upgrade to a bigger vehicle.
I also think both Neue Klasse concepts look great and I am generally ok with the way the iX looks.

It may be a form of Stockholm syndrome though since I work at a BMW dealership.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

kill me now posted:

I work at a dealership.

:mods:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The only modern BMW that doesnt look like crap is the M3 Touring

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the front still kills me

all other dumb grills i’ve accepted but my brain thinks “wow that’s poo poo” everytime i see it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kill me now posted:

\ 2022 san remo green m440 and it looked good and was a great car

This should be bannable tbh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We have completed the bmw cycle now.

BMW release an ugly car, everyone says eww
Several years later… “I’m fine with it I guess”

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

They should make the front end of their EVs one giant screen and if you don't pay your kidney grille rent the BMW roundel disappears. Also you can buy grilles from BMWs throughout history to display on your front end screen (active subscription required).

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

All I wanted was a loving PHEV X3. Whatever they would call that? An X3 30e? Or just make the ix3 look like the X3 that exists now but make the grill look like it has diecast stickers for a grill like the i4 has. The X3 is for sure getting the long screen interior setup like everything else, I get it. Ive come to terms with it and I thought Id hate all touch, but its not the worst thing and I can still control a lot via buttons. Dont touch the rest. well poo poo, maybe make little smaller versions of the multi contour seats with massage function from the X5.
Thats all I wanted. I would have placed an Individual order in Velvet Blue TOMORROW.

Instead its more Neue Klasse :sigh:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

All I wanted was a loving PHEV X3. Whatever they would call that? An X3 30e? Or just make the ix3 look like the X3 that exists now but make the grill look like it has diecast stickers for a grill like the i4 has. The X3 is for sure getting the long screen interior setup like everything else, I get it. Ive come to terms with it and I thought Id hate all touch, but its not the worst thing and I can still control a lot via buttons. Dont touch the rest. well poo poo, maybe make little smaller versions of the multi contour seats with massage function from the X5.
Thats all I wanted. I would have placed an Individual order in Velvet Blue TOMORROW.

Instead its more Neue Klasse :sigh:

I mean the current iX3 is what you’re asking for…and it shouldn’t be a shock that the new small-car platform that supports 1/2/3/4 series cars and crossovers is going to have a crossover that looks like it belongs in that family, if the Neue Klasse concept was any indication :v:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

wesleywillis posted:

This should be bannable tbh.

:wrong:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

We have completed the bmw cycle now.

BMW release an ugly car, everyone says eww
Several years later… “I’m fine with it I guess”

It's not just several years later though; it looks bad on the sedan and coupe still. It fits the long roof proportions much better.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

wow that's poo poo

Sab669 posted:

It's not just several years later though; it looks bad on the sedan and coupe still. It fits the long roof proportions much better.

I just don't see it. Still looks terrible

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 22, 2024

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Having hated it at first it has grown on me and I still have yet to see an aftermarket "improvement" actually improve the looks. It looks fine on the M cars while still awkward on the regular versions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

Whatever they would call that? An X3 30e?

Isn't that one of Elon Musk's kids?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

harperdc posted:

I mean the current iX3 is what you’re asking for…and it shouldn’t be a shock that the new small-car platform that supports 1/2/3/4 series cars and crossovers is going to have a crossover that looks like it belongs in that family, if the Neue Klasse concept was any indication :v:

We didn't get the current iX3 in the states, no longer a PHEV X3 either :(
Is the current ix3 for whichever markets that got it more geared for economy or performance?

I feel like purpose changed on the X5 PHEV. When it was the older 40e, it seemed like it was more about saving gas. Now, with the 50e, it's kinda both savings and performance. The x5 50e in sport mode can haul loving rear end and eliminates the lag off the line.

That's what I'd love to have. Something that doesn't just chug gas, but at the same time, when called upon, be quick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, i guess the color is kinda nice.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

slidebite posted:

Well, i guess the color is kinda nice.

The color is hard carrying the entire car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I thought a BMW cycle involved a shaft that all BMW fans have to justify/lubricate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I thought a BMW cycle involved a shaft that all BMW fans have to justify/lubricate.

No no, that’s the bearings around the shaft that need the lubrication.