Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

That would explain it if it got a reprint somewhere. It's one of the ones on the chopping block because I've finally accepted that the Tales series and I don't get along. Vesperia is too, because I have little desire to go back it and the bullshit fantasy terms used to spice up the plot which kinda lost me.

Which ones have you tried? imo the ones that are most popular are pretty mid; Vesperia, Symphonia, and Arise are all firmly in the "they're okay" tier to me.

I ask because it would be pretty fitting for the retro thread to be holding onto a game for years and not trying it, and Abyss is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Phantasium posted:

Which ones have you tried? imo the ones that are most popular are pretty mid; Vesperia, Symphonia, and Arise are all firmly in the "they're okay" tier to me.

I ask because it would be pretty fitting for the retro thread to be holding onto a game for years and not trying it, and Abyss is pretty solid.

Mostly Vesperia, which I have tried to get through at least twice. I did a teeny bit of the intro to Abyss but not enough to count for poo poo. I tried giving the Tales series a shot mostly because I read a decent LP on these forums of the Wii version of Graces F.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Off the top of my head, I think the most valuable game I own is probably Chibi Robo. Maybe Chrono Trigger DS or something like that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Bad copy-paste from the PDF, my bad.

My whole first post explains that I can't see S-Video but not really cluey on CRT stuff. Well aware of the RGB pins.

If it's using the same jungle chip as the TC-21PM10R, then there's an unused chroma input. Can't really advise you on how to go about it but s-video should be possible.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Humphreys posted:

Bad copy-paste from the PDF, my bad.

My whole first post explains that I can't see S-Video but not really cluey on CRT stuff. Well aware of the RGB pins.

Yeah if it doesn’t have chroma/luna pins and the jungle chip can’t accept Y/C inputs, you’re SOL on an s-video upgrade.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'd actually be surprised if it didn't have Y/C on the jungle chip, almost everything I've looked at from that time period does.

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/1770416/PHILIPS/TDA936X/2785/8/TDA936X.html
that's the spec sheet for the jungle chip on the TC-21PM10R and pin 43 is chroma.

I've never done one of those mods but I've thought real hard about it a few times.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Mostly Vesperia, which I have tried to get through at least twice. I did a teeny bit of the intro to Abyss but not enough to count for poo poo. I tried giving the Tales series a shot mostly because I read a decent LP on these forums of the Wii version of Graces F.

I've tried a bunch of Tales games (Symphonia, Vesperia, Xillia and Berseria) and never clicked with any of them

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

On another topic, my jogcon journey is basically over unless I want to unlock the ~220 remaining cars in RR4. I beat the grand prix and extra trials with all team/car combos, so there's nothing left for me difficulty-wise.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got my neGcon controller and it feels awesome, but the real surprisingly weird part is the analog face buttons. It's like pushing a plunger on a spring lol.

Unfortunately the L button on mine is busted (doesn't spring back), so I might need to open it up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rubellavator posted:

I'd actually be surprised if it didn't have Y/C on the jungle chip, almost everything I've looked at from that time period does.

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/1770416/PHILIPS/TDA936X/2785/8/TDA936X.html
that's the spec sheet for the jungle chip on the TC-21PM10R and pin 43 is chroma.

I've never done one of those mods but I've thought real hard about it a few times.

Oh yeah. 42 and 43 are the inputs.

I’m in the same boat though. I’ve never done an s-video mod. This is all theorycrafting.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Oh I thought that was going to be the Wiz Encyclopedia.

Your best bet is Yahoo Auctions or Mercari for those things. Suruga-ya carries a lot of them, but they're obscure enough that you'll want to cast a wide net.

Thanks, that helps. What would be the best search term(s) to use, as someone who doesn't know any japanese? It sounds like I'm probably going to have to search for these piecemeal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Thanks, that helps. What would be the best search term(s) to use, as someone who doesn't know any japanese? It sounds like I'm probably going to have to search for these piecemeal.

I'd look for the game title in Japanese and then 本. That'll get you any books associated with the game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Any trusted Ali sellers for new nes/snes rubbers, or are they all the same?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

On another topic, my jogcon journey is basically over unless I want to unlock the ~220 remaining cars in RR4. I beat the grand prix and extra trials with all team/car combos, so there's nothing left for me difficulty-wise.

Have you already played through RR5 on the PS2? That game also supports it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

George RR Fartin posted:

Have you already played through RR5 on the PS2? That game also supports it.

Oh I hadn't thought about that. I did try out V-Rally 2 on PS1 also but it doesn't seem like they implemented it right on that game because the force-feedback is turned off by default and even when you turn it on it doesn't have that feel to it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Any trusted Ali sellers for new nes/snes rubbers, or are they all the same?

I haven't done it myself, but the 8bitdo rubber pads for their SNES like controllers should fit on an original SNES controller as well, I've seen it done the other way around. They sell most of their repair parts on their website, they also have some (less) stock on their Ali store as well.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have a fairly sizable collection of physical Switch games, many of which were limited print titles I picked up early in the system's life when it was successful, but not yet on the "probably going to beat PS2 in total sales" trajectory. Some of these titles are relatively rare and command pretty decent prices on PriceCharting, $100 to $500 or so (all mine are unsealed, but CiB). For a while now I've been considering divesting myself of some of these, mostly since the boxes/cases just sit in cardboard boxes in my crawl space and I don't know that I really want them anymore. Since it came out, the Steam Deck is my new primary gaming platform and due to the relative openness of Steam and the PC platform in general, I don't see myself going back to proprietary handhelds as my primary platform anymore, which effectively means I'm done with physical games.

The problem is that I haven't actually sold anything, ever. My eBay profile, for example, is 25 years old but not particularly prolific and has zero sales, so I'm not sure I can just list my Rockman 5-in-1 Box Set without getting scammed or whatever. Meanwhile I would like to upgrade to the OLED Steam Deck, but can't justify spending earned income on it.

As for actual retro platforms, I have a modest collection of SNES, N64, GB, GBA, DS, (and I guess now?) 3DS titles that I'm happy with and have no real desire to augment or divest regardless of price.

This discussion made me check out my collection on pricecharting, and I didn't realize my PS2 collection was that valuable. :stare:

I got every MegaTen game for it (including both Raidou games...even still have the Raidou Jack Frost plushie), and a lot of the weird esoteric poo poo like Shadow Hearts, the Xenosaga trilogy, the Fatal Frame trilogy, and Gitaroo Man.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I decided to take a cue from this vid and make myself a power squid.

Though I simplified and instead of making size adapters and using polarity inverters, I just cut the end off and wired it up to a new 5.5/2.1 tip with opposite polarity. It's probably easier to just buy a Triad PSU and split that, but I had a spare Sony one sitting around.

I've got NES, Genesis, PC-E, and SFC hooked up at once through this, with room for one more if I ever want to add the Master System or Famicom. It feels good to eliminate wall warts!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like to cause fires, too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wa27 posted:

Though I simplified and instead of making size adapters and using polarity inverters, I just cut the end off and wired it up to a new 5.5/2.1 tip with opposite polarity. It's probably easier to just buy a Triad PSU and split that, but I had a spare Sony one sitting around.

I've got NES, Genesis, PC-E, and SFC hooked up at once through this, with room for one more if I ever want to add the Master System or Famicom. It feels good to eliminate wall warts!

Now, I want you to turn all of them on simultaneously and videotape the results.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waltzing Along posted:

When you absolutely positively need to trip the circuit breaker, accept no substitute.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

When you absolutely positively need to trip the circuit breaker, accept no substitute.
What does "900W/4A" mean? Is that the name of a Texas Instruments computer?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It means if you electrocute yourself it'll be someone else's problem to clean up and put out the fire.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

The good news here is you're more likely to trip the safety feature in the power supply than you are to burn down your house...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm trying to figure out if it's the rating on the circuit breaker or the outlet. 900W and 4A would by 225V which is close to European power. Breakers are usually solely rated on amperage because of how they work (high current increases temperature and warps a metal piece), but maybe the wattage is another temperature concern...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

900W and 4A would by 225V which is close to European power.
Those are NEMA 5-15 receptacles, and what looks like a 5-15 plug too, so it's not doing any split phase nonsense.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it's photoshopped - the description even ends in "fire"

in other news, I've considered all this free shipping people keep talking up, but there's just nothing that calls out to me

it's tempting to just throw a few bucks at a goon who knows the site's system (and a few more for second shipping) and have them buy me some weeby gaming poo poo for a system i own

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 22, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Those are NEMA 5-15 receptacles, and what looks like a 5-15 plug too, so it's not doing any split phase nonsense.

Yep.

hexwren posted:

it's photoshopped - the description even ends in "fire"

Uh, I don't think people would make up weird poo poo on the Internet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hexwren posted:

I've considered all this free shipping people keep talking up, but there's just nothing that calls out to me

Who cares. Just buy some poo poo. You don't need it. None of us need any of this. Find some music you like or something.

Right now I am considering buying all the DS/3DS ace attorney games. Why? Who the gently caress knows.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waltzing Along posted:

Who cares. Just buy some poo poo. You don't need it. None of us need any of this. Find some music you like or something.

Right now I am considering buying all the DS/3DS ace attorney games. Why? Who the gently caress knows.
I have an Ace Attorney 3 cart on the way. I already own the Trilogy on 3DS. But you know what? gently caress it! :retrogames:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Waltzing Along posted:

This is the kind of energy we need.

A while back I bought a Saturn Twin Stick and even though that thing is gigantic I do not regret it when playing VO and VOOT (I also had to spend $75 on a Saturn>Dreamcast adapter of course).

It even came with the fuckin box. It's such a cool box but I got nowhere to put it. Might have to build a Sega Alter in the woods.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is the kind of energy we need.

A while back I bought a Saturn Twin Stick and even though that thing is gigantic I do not regret it when playing VO and VOOT (I also had to spend $75 on a Saturn>Dreamcast adapter of course).

It even came with the fuckin box. It's such a cool box but I got nowhere to put it. Might have to build a Sega Alter in the woods.

I have been eyeballing a twin stick so hard but resisting pulling the trigger. If they’re still doing this in a few weeks when my birthday rolls around it’s 100% on.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The good news here is you're more likely to trip the safety feature in the power supply than you are to burn down your house...

Waltzing Along posted:

AlternateNu posted:

Now, I want you to turn all of them on simultaneously and videotape the results.

I know starting fires is a running joke in this thread, but if there's a real risk here, let me know and I'll cease using it. I'm not an expert on this stuff. I only ever use one console at a time, and don't have kids that will mess around and turn everything on at once. But even so, everything I have plugged in adds up to 4.0A while the PSU is rated for 5.65A.

What always felt unsafe to me was the 30-40 year old power bricks I had plugged in that were constantly warm even when not using them.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

wa27 posted:

I know starting fires is a running joke in this thread, but if there's a real risk here, let me know and I'll cease using it. I'm not an expert on this stuff. I only ever use one console at a time, and don't have kids that will mess around and turn everything on at once. But even so, everything I have plugged in adds up to 4.0A while the PSU is rated for 5.65A.

What always felt unsafe to me was the 30-40 year old power bricks I had plugged in that were constantly warm even when not using them.

I did a similar setup, but presently only the Genesis (which needs a negative pole think?, it's been a while) and PCE are hooked up to mine at this point. The NES kept working (a testament to its design) and began to smell like burning very soon thereafter (still worked though). Had to replace the PSU on that. The SNES blew its fuse, which I replaced with an inline one. You just wanna be real careful with it to make 100% sure you're not overloading anything.

That being said, you might not be a giant idiot like I am, so this may all be known to you

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

just don't turn on all the consoles at once and you're fine.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

holefoods posted:

I have been eyeballing a twin stick so hard but resisting pulling the trigger. If they’re still doing this in a few weeks when my birthday rolls around it’s 100% on.

It also works with Robotron2084 on my MiSTer (I think I posted about this before) and it's really fuckin cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

Okay, a lot of my work is actually in power supply safety and I do start unintended fires from time to time in the office as part of that; I put a warning sign on one of my hardware test units to tell people not to open the door if they see flames. There's primarily two significant fire risks for you: something pops and arc flashes on your hardware catching combustable material and over current on your household wiring heats up until the insulation melts and it catches something on fire in your walls.

For your hand wiring, you might wind up with a short or something that sparks. Isolation and enclosures deals with a lot of that. You've got a plastic housing on your junction so that's good. The biggest concern from my eyes in the photo is the terminals which are exposed. The reversed one coming into contact with the others will make a spark.

Lets say you do develop a short because you strained your cable patches or something goes bad in a system. Well, the power suply should have a resetable fuse in it that would trip way before it blows your circuit breaker. If somehow you're drawing current that's above the rating then it may operate for a while before that. The important thing here is that the power supply has a UL mark; that means it passed UL standards for power supply safety and has the cut outs. Also look for a V rating on the plastic; a V-0 rating which should be used for power supplies means that the plastic is fire retardant so even if things somehow run out of control, then it will have trouble burning everywhere.

Because your wiring is behind the power supply, I'm not really worried about it pulling too much current and starting a house fire from what's in your walls. You've got multiple layers of protection there. The output side, however, has a signficant potential for a short. That's unlikely to start a fire, but it puts it way above what I'd consider safe considering the consequences: like maybe 5%-10% chance. The easy and safe option is removing the reversed polarity connection. That removes the "this will fail in a bad way eventually and then you're gambling on the failure not being bad" and moves it to "this might fail and if it does the failure is likely contained". There's other ways to install additional protection that can help, but that gets down a more technical rabbit hole than splicing cables together.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It also works with Robotron2084 on my MiSTer (I think I posted about this before) and it's really fuckin cool.

oh no I just looked and there’s a difficult condition Dreamcast one for $44 (I’d probably be more inclined to play VOOT anyways I know the Saturn has more support but oooof)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Thank you for this post. I did have concerns when soldering the new tip on, because no matter how careful I am, those tabs are fairly close together and the braided wire was pretty chunky. I used heat shrink where I could, but don't have any pics of the result.

As for the reversed polarity, perhaps I'm not understanding or maybe I didn't explain clearly. The original PSU was center positive. I swapped the tip so now it's center negative. The rest of the cables down the line are simple splitters and extensions. So every male tip is the same polarity and there shouldn't be an issue if they bang together (?). Every system hooked up uses the same polarity and barrel size.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

Thank you for this post. I did have concerns when soldering the new tip on, because no matter how careful I am, those tabs are fairly close together and the braided wire was pretty chunky. I used heat shrink where I could, but don't have any pics of the result.

As for the reversed polarity, perhaps I'm not understanding or maybe I didn't explain clearly. The original PSU was center positive. I swapped the tip so now it's center negative. The rest of the cables down the line are simple splitters and extensions. So every male tip is the same polarity and there shouldn't be an issue if they bang together (?). Every system hooked up uses the same polarity and barrel size.

Ah, okay. I thought you had flipped one of them for a Genesis or something like that. Yeah, that's safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm just flabbergasted on how many consoles had center pin - negative pinouts for their power supplies. That's just a terrible design decision.