Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t seen it yet but does the first episode start with a “Previously on X-Men” recap?

Edit: The second episode has one but not the first sadly enough

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The show has already started? I was on Disney+ last night and it showed me nothing about it. Not like I've been shy about letting it know I watch superhero stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lobok posted:

The show has already started? I was on Disney+ last night and it showed me nothing about it. Not like I've been shy about letting it know I watch superhero stuff.

Yeah, the first two episodes just dropped this morning

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Comics are silly.

It's canon that Rom's superpower is being an incredibly decent person.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought those two episodes of X-Men loving slapped

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

The first episode was a little uneven but that second episode was loving great.

I can't believe they're doing Jean and Maddie and also introducing the Magneto and Rogue relationship.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Fuego Fish posted:

I need a screenshot of that Gambit outfit.

Click to embiggen. I certainly embiggened when-

Edit: bonus gif (spoiler for plot point in tweet above though)
https://twitter.com/CLC__x/status/1770555004966826069

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 20, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-Men '97 is so good, it rules that it rules. I am pleased!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

so what's the deal with gambit's eyes?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

GateOfD posted:

He's a mutant, which is a genetic offshoot of humanity otherwise known as "homo superior."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GateOfD posted:

They're robits

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Just the way they look, like how a lot of mutants look different than most humans like Beast, Nightcrawler or Mystique.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Woof. They really threw in some white nationalist talking points with the Friends of Humanity stuff.

How dare they make Cyclops actually do cool stuff, and have a cool fight scene. drat it.

Also,

Storm! Noooooo!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

Just the way they look, like how a lot of mutants look different than most humans like Beast, Nightcrawler or Mystique.

Isn't there some story about how there was originally supposed to end up being some crazy secret about his eyes but then that idea got totally thrown out the window by another writer?

Or am I mixing that up with another character?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't care much for the X-Men, but I'm glad this show is good. I saw that Cyclops fight scene and poo poo's loving sick. He's never looked that cool outside of Marvel vs Capcom, and then the loving animator's twitter handle is FREE MVC2
https://twitter.com/MatthewB64/status/1770484224501420299

Trying to will a Spider-man '97 out of Studio MIR next.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Isn't there some story about how there was originally supposed to end up being some crazy secret about his eyes but then that idea got totally thrown out the window by another writer?

They were just part of his mutation but because he had them it was decided he was part of a prophecy - Le Diable Blanc - who would unite the New Orleans Thieves and Assassins' Guilds. This is why he was going to marry Bella Donna of the Assassins' Guild which Bella Donna's brother did not approve of, so Remy killed him in self-defense (although the guy got better) and was exiled from N'awlins. Gambit went to Mr. Sinister for help controlling his powers which was part of the problem and Sinister agreed if Gambit would lead the Marauders to the Morlock tunnels so they could do the Mutant Massacre. In great shame - after rescuing a young Marrow - Gambit took to wandering and eventually found Teen Storm and the rest is history.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Hmm I'm not sure. From what I remember, he was born with his burning red eyes and they were the reason his parents abandoned him and why he was raised by the Thieves Guild. It's just been a little bit of background reasoning for why things happened the way they did and there wasn't some grand secret.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

He once was also suggested to be the third Summers brother because of his eyes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cartridgeblowers posted:

:hmmyes:

PicklePants posted:

Storm! Noooooo!
:cry: She even takes off her lightning bolt earrings.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope Jubilee can only escape the video game by having someone press the reset button on the Sega Genesis after she beats Mojo’s level.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gambit's one of those weird characters who has just kinda been hanging around forever, being kinda mysterious, but attempts to develop more backstory for him don't so much add depth as they just make him into more of a weird creep.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh yeah, that's the good nostalgia. Cyclops has a stick rammed directly up his rear end and Rogue won't stop making cat metaphors, it's like we never left at all. I liked how they went out of their way to give Cyclops and Storm specifically all the cool superpowers moments; nice way to make up for them being chumped out more often than not for most of the old show. And goddamn, way to just come in on fire out of the gate, especially with episode 2. Yeah we're doing Trial of Magneto and Depowered Storm and Madelyne Pryor, what the gently caress you gonna do about it, buckle up wheeeeeeeee

I did notice three anachronisms, all in episode 1: Jubilee says "bling" and "bestie", and that rave was early-2000s, not late-90s. At least I don't think the glowsticks were a thing back in '97 but I was never the heppest cat so on that one I might be wrong.

PicklePants posted:

Woof. They really threw in some white nationalist talking points with the Friends of Humanity stuff.
Blatant J6 imagery, too. They were not going subtle, and god drat good for them. X-Men should never be a subtle franchise.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
They could hint at so much with what the bad guys said, but Magneto still couldn't directly say he was in the holocaust.

He danced around it in a clunky way. The 2000s X-Men movies were PG-13, and they had it, or is this after an even younger demo? Because the nostalgia bait makes me think that this is made for older :corsair: fans.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

CapnAndy posted:

X-Men should never be a subtle franchise.

I was looking through an older spiderman issue yesterday, and saw this ad. Hadn't ever seen it before and thought it was pretty powerful stuff.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

PicklePants posted:

They could hint at so much with what the bad guys said, but Magneto still couldn't directly say he was in the holocaust.

He danced around it in a clunky way. The 2000s X-Men movies were PG-13, and they had it, or is this after an even younger demo? Because the nostalgia bait makes me think that this is made for older :corsair: fans.

I think they're trying to thread the needle of 'this is for 90s kids who grew up with the show' and 'you can still let your 9 year old watch it.' There were definitely a few bits of dialogue that wouldn't have gotten past the Fox censors back in the day.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

I was looking through an older spiderman issue yesterday, and saw this ad. Hadn't ever seen it before and thought it was pretty powerful stuff.

It's even crazier in terms of tone because that's Franklin Richards. It does a real good job of tapping that zeitgeist of paranoia and hate fueled panic while making it even more ridiculous since it's the son of a beloved superhero family.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember a X-Men issue where a guy rants to a journalist with his anti mutant pals, says he is not racist cause mutants are not a race but a disease, and if one of his children was born a mutant he would kill them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gambit's one of those weird characters who has just kinda been hanging around forever, being kinda mysterious, but attempts to develop more backstory for him don't so much add depth as they just make him into more of a weird creep.

Well he's also not normally a primary X-Men member. He's more of the type who does his own thing. The animated series is the only adaption I can think of that had him as a primary member.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

He once was also suggested to be the third Summers brother because of his eyes.

That's the one I was thinking of, thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hcreight posted:

I think they're trying to thread the needle of 'this is for 90s kids who grew up with the show' and 'you can still let your 9 year old watch it.' There were definitely a few bits of dialogue that wouldn't have gotten past the Fox censors back in the day.

I don't think it was Fox censoring it, since it aired in the same block as BTAS which had real guns and actual punching of bad guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't think it was Fox censoring it, since it aired in the same block as BTAS which had real guns and actual punching of bad guys.

I believe BTAS got away with it because the pseudo-period piece elements. Like tommy guns are OK, real modern SMGs are not. Hence why Superman TAS has the Metropolis PD using lasers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not really sure how much that is the case. Like I think probably by 2000 realistic guns were probably banned, but X-Men comics in the 90s didn't really have realistic guns either despite 90s Marvel comics being incredibly unrestrained otherwise. Mostly they had just gotten addicted to absurdly tech-y looking stuff and also the marvel artists didn't want to try to draw from reference.

The world of the X-Men had always been pretty wild and zany and detatched from realism, and they had been pushing the amount of technology with excuses about Shiar tech or Mojo being up to poo poo or here's Warlock, he's a living pile of tech garbage, or Forge's superpower is making extra techy stuff, or I guess Genosha is extra advanced because that's what they developed with their turbo apartheid, but by the 90s it had just metastasized and it was everywhere. The Leinfeld style which was a big hit at the time was all about stuffing in extra details regardless of whether they made any sense.

The cartoon I don't think was otherwise very subtle. They had a recurring fictional gang of neonazis with their symbol being combination of an iron cross and that nazi bird.

Days of Future Past also had its original holocaust imagery largely intact. Even this guy showed up briefly in the Age of Apocalypse episode.

I think they just sincerely thought it was simpler and more straightforward to depict Magneto as the survivor of some nonspecific war rather than from the Holocaust. Xavier even explains it that way in his flashback. At the very least, animated Magneto wasn't born in Germany since where he lived was invaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSntlWeEDAM That clip also shows the flashback people with passably realistic guns, while the guards at Beast's prison aren't even trying to look like any kind of real soldier in their weird red armor suits.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Air Skwirl posted:

Fox actually had some pretty ridiculous restrictions for BTAS, they just happened to be masters at working around said restrictions

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he's also not normally a primary X-Men member. He's more of the type who does his own thing. The animated series is the only adaption I can think of that had him as a primary member.

Gambit's been a mainstay on various X-Men teams ever since his debut. But the 92 series is very, very heavily influenced from the storylines around that time as well as the Jim Lee Blue team lineup and costumes. It's more surprising that Psylocke wasn't included on the team, but that's probably a combination of wanting to have Jean instead and their powers overlapping, and her costume not really being kid appropriate.

I think Gambit is difficult to toss into adaptions like comics and movies because of the lack of a real interesting backstory and you need to come up with new ways for him to join the team that aren't "hung around with de-aged kid Storm" or "just here to creep on Rogue".

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I absolutely loved magneto's reading of "in what I generously assume is a fair trial."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Psylocke's costume was definitely not child-appropriate. Her big character story of being brainwashed and race-swapped by Mojo to help The Mandarin take over the Hong Kong underworld is not really anyone-appropriate, and the big storyline I remember her having beforehand was about her losing her eyes sand then Mojo implanted eye replacements to help him broadcast X-Men adventures, it's all pretty nasty and you'd either need to do a lot of weird rewriting or reinvent her from scratch to make her work. And then her whole thing of stabbing people with psychic knives is weird, and do you really need three psychics in the show anyways?

She was in the X-Men Cartoon Maker computer program though, so I wonder if there were earlier proposals to leave her in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, Morph turns into her in the second episode of this new run?

It's also an interesting take on Morph's powerset, normally they're just pretty much another Mystique, but in this version they seem able to mimic powers and weapons? Kinda makes that side of Rogue's powerset seem redundant.

Show is surprisingly good and does nail that 'like the show in your memories' thing that's hard to nail for these kind of reboots. It doesn't hurt that there was a ton of Claremont soap opera nonsense left on the table that the original run didn't touch and we're mining that pretty blatantly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, Morph turns into her in the second episode of this new run?

It's also an interesting take on Morph's powerset, normally they're just pretty much another Mystique, but in this version they seem able to mimic powers and weapons? Kinda makes that side of Rogue's powerset seem redundant.

Show is surprisingly good and does nail that 'like the show in your memories' thing that's hard to nail for these kind of reboots. It doesn't hurt that there was a ton of Claremont soap opera nonsense left on the table that the original run didn't touch and we're mining that pretty blatantly.

Yeah it says in the end credits files on each character that Morph doesn't just assume appearance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Yeah it says in the end credits files on each character that Morph doesn't just assume appearance.

They also turn into Archangel in the first episode once the Blackbird gets exploded, and fly down to the ground for the 'To me, my X-Men' bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/UpToTASK/status/1770847873208401978?t=GsQeKyI8pjTDIjIO9uqQgw&s=19