Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Bone Crimes posted:

I don’t know the key value if the Mach E over the Model Y other than the CEO problem, and it seems to be more expensive than the Y.

The interior quality and fit & finish is night and day, the Mach-E feels like an actual premium car and the Y is more like an economy car that tried too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Finally traded in my 2007 Tacoma for a 2020 Bolt with 20K miles for $12K after the rebate. Honestly for the money it seems like a lot of car, LT trim with all the options and looks brand new. Of course I go to plug in the 115 volt charger and it throws up a grounding error so I have to figure that out but overall very happy with my trade!

I know it's a common observation but it's unreal how little the dealer knows about the cars they sale, thank god I did all the research before I went and looked at them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what's the battery longevity concern with BMW and Audi?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's the battery longevity concern with BMW and Audi?

Just Audi - I've heard a few anecdotal reports on the early e-trons losing lots of range over the first 3 years. I think someone here in the thread had it happen, and traded it in. Also I think Bjorn has seen it too.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bone Crimes posted:

Nissan: Ya blew it.

Should be their slogan.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

For the handful of folks that financed their Mach-E with Ford Options (like myself), the 3-year window is coming up soon for some owners. Ford has a page to explain what your options are once your time is up:

https://www.ford.com/finance/finance-options/ford-options/

quote:

1. Trade-in your vehicle for a new Ford or Lincoln

2. Pay-off* your vehicle

3. Refinance** your vehicle with Ford Credit

4. Transfer ownership*** of your vehicle to Ford Credit to satisfy your balloon balance

*Pay-off amount will include balloon balance and any other amounts due under the terms of the contract.
**If you wish to refinance your balance with Ford Credit, you must contact us no later than 30 days prior to the balloon payment due date by mailing your request to Ford Credit, Attn: Maildrop 438, P.O. Box 6890007, Franklin, TN 37068-9007, or by calling us at 1-800-727-7000 (8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. EST, Mon-Fri). Refinance amount will include balloon balance and any other amounts due.
***Ownership transfer satisfies your balloon balance. You are responsible for any other amounts due including disposal fee, late charges etc.

And from what I've been reading on a few places, if one decides to go with option 3 (refinance) the original contract will allow you refinance at the same rate when you bought the car. For example, I bought my MachE with 2.25% and the contract states if I refinance I should expect to receive the same 2.25%. I might go with that option since I use the car daily for commuting, but YMMV

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you already financed the car, why would you refinance it at exactly the same rate? I may not understand how that work program works

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nitrox posted:

If you already financed the car, why would you refinance it at exactly the same rate? I may not understand how that work program works

Because your current contract is ending and rates went up?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nitrox posted:

It's financed with a ballon payment at the end of what they estimate the residual will be. It's basically a lease, except you own the car and can buyout the loan at any time.

I did this financing plan as well, if for some reason the Mach-E completely tanks and I am underwater at the end of the loan, Ford takes the loss. If it is worth more I can trade it in, or if I decide to keep it, I can pay off the loan in full or refinance the loan for an additional period and pay it off that way.

My plan is to keep it for 8 years, but if in 3 years I decide I want something new I don't have to worry about potentially taking a loss.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This was a good post.

Also:

Bone Crimes posted:

LOL. Yep.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mazda's floundering as well. The MX-30 had 130 miles of range and still needed over half an hour for 20-80% charge.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bone Crimes posted:

My perception of the state of the EVs in the U.S.

:words:

This is similar to how I view things too. Tesla is cool and all but the quality of the Model 3 or Model Y is a little suspect. BMW and Audi's EVs are nice but lack range especially with poor weather and expensive but there are some good lease deals out there at the moment. Volvo or Polestar seem decent. Rivian is cool but you still can't actually buy their latest two models for over a year. I don't understand how Nissan blew it after the Leaf. Or Toyota's bZ4x.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 22, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tayter Swift posted:

Mazda's floundering as well. The MX-30 had 130 miles of range and still needed over half an hour for 20-80% charge.

Their CX-90 PHEV looks interesting but I decided to not go for the first model year of an all new drivetrain

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just got the FSD beta 12 software and went for a drive after work. (The end-to-end AI release.)

This is legitimately the first one that they should have let out of the lab. It’s not perfect, but most of FSD’s previous worst foibles are corrected. It isn’t steaming dogshit at lane selection anymore, it can actually properly control vehicle speed instead of swinging unpredictably from 15 under to twenty over, and phantom braking seems to be far better (nearly nonexistent) thus far. It’s also far better at merging into a lane with traffic in it than it used to be.

New issue though; They trained it on humans, so it centers the driver’s position in the lane like a doofus and hugs the right lane limit, it goes around corners like a grandma driving a tuk-tuk full of priceless bone china, and it’ll punch it off the line to 40mph in a 50 zone, trail off to ~35 and then finally, agonizingly, slowly accelerate to the set speed.

If you drove it around Miami at rush hour, literally no one would be able to tell it wasn’t just a typical awful Miami driver.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tbh i'm not sure why anyone would buy a Model 3 when they could get an Ioniq 6 for the same price or less

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Model 3 is quite big, fits my family of 4 nicely. I doubt the Ioniq 6 can do that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Looking around in my I6 right now while I charge and I think it could fit a family of 4 comfortably, assuming you don’t have more than one tall passenger.

It is more expensive than a Model 3 on average though I think. This one was $50k after the discount and taxes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The green ioniq 5 looks really good in the sun.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I just want Skoda to make an electric Superb estate, preferably a vRS.

Actually in an ideal world I want an estate version of the NEVS Emily built in Sweden by SAAB engineers, but that's definitely never happening.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Tesla: The value proposition seems to be declining, but still the best value currently? With the opening of the supercharger network to others, it seems like Tesla being the ‘clear choice’ as it kinda was previously, is no longer true. CEO, both from political and management perspective is a significant negative. I don’t consider FSD as a real thing, so no advantage there, and the base autopilot, while pretty good, seems to be on par with other systems now. Still has the best software overall maybe?

Model 3: New version is kinda better but is flawed with no stalks. This is pretty much a deal killer for me and others. Still a pretty good value tho, if you can deal with it?
Model Y: Pretty popular, good value, doesn’t have the stalk-less design yet. Seems like the current ‘default’ choice.
Model X and S: Seems like they’ve been eclipsed in their space by other options.
Cybertruck: When this was pitched (awfully I might add, I’m still stunned at how bad that presentation was) I thought the key advantage was cost per unit range, and a low cost version. This has not panned out, at all, and looking at it, I don’t think it ever will. So beyond clout chasing, I’m not sure the type of buyer that wants one of these over a F150 Lightning or a R1T.

VW: I am not sure what the heck is going on with them. Seems like the ID4 is ok, I see lots of them around in my area, but it’s not super compelling with a bunch of annoyances that owners talk about – software, buttons, dash lights. Overall though, seems like the primary alternative to the Model Y, and seems it might have better build quality, but no real key feature that is better than the Y. Still they were supposed to be all-in on electric as a company, but still only have 1 ev model in the US? Weak. I think my main issue is that they seem super slow to introduce the cars that people want? Where is the ID Buzz? – we’re nearly in Q2 2024, I guess the ID 7 is coming, maybe? Will the wagon come to the U.S.? Who knows? Really wanted to buy a VW when I was in the market in 2019, but no dice, and they have not done much since.

Rivian: I hope they make it. I’m very interested in the proposed models, particularly the R3. Owners I’ve talked to seem to really like the R1T and R1S. Fingers crossed they’re around when I’m ready to buy again.

Ford: Both their offerings seem pretty decent, but I don’t know the key value if the Mach E over the Model Y other than the CEO problem, and it seems to be more expensive than the Y. Was really interested in the V2H stuff in the F150L, but it seems like that doesn’t work as well as hoped. Why is this so hard?

Toyota/Subaru: Just not serious it seems. Their PHEVs seem fine, but the comical recalls, and the really bad specs of the BZ4X just seem like a last minute ‘get something out there’ effort. Feels like they are still waiting for evs to fail. Do we know anything really about their upcoming EV cars? Is it all BS?

GM: What the hell is going on? There seemed to be a big wind up, and then… nothing? Is the problem batteries? Is it software? Both the Blazer and the Lyric seem pretty cool, but it seems they can’t make enough of them, or deliver what they have? Just a non-confidence-inspiring fumble. Just learned from the post above that the Silverado actually exists?

Kia/Hyundai: Seem pretty compelling, with their smaller cars and the EV9. Definitely seeing a lot of them recently, and would be considering a EV9 if I was in the market at the moment. Seem to have made some good technology choices (decent efficiency ,800v) , and have not made any ‘deal killer/dumb’ decisions like removing stalks, or capacitive steering wheel buttons. Could be a possibility, but then I'd have to deal with a dealer.

BMW/Audi: Value case for me personally is not there so I haven’t been following them closely. I’ve seen a few BMW EVs and they are not really my thing, style wise, and aren't as utilitarian for my particular taste. I’ve seen a few Audis, and they look totally generic (which might be fine) but their value case when compared to other EVs seems pretty bad. I also have concerns on their battery longevity.

Porsche/Lucid: Too expensive for me, but seem really nice.

I think overall, it’s a weird time in the EV space. Maybe the thing is that we’re beyond the stage where a company can say ‘here’s an ev!’ and folks will buy regardless (at a premium even!), and we’re now in the stage where people will not buy a BZ4X (or whatever)on brand loyalty or whatever, because is just doesn’t have the core features that other cars do. I’m sure the combo of the addition of more EV choices and the interest rate increase also made companies make some hard decisions, and we’re still seeing that pan out. Also features are changing fast enough that waiting sometimes makes sense.

What I would really want:
Functional (big interior, hitch receiver, outlets, seating for 5 or more), efficient, hatchback or wagon, with V2G, and ~300 miles of range and no boneheaded crap for a reasonable price.

Thanks, I’ll have a #2 with fries.

No mention of Chinese cars at all? Are they entirely unavailable in the states? BYD is the biggest ev maker in the world, I think if you include phevs.

At any rate, the sales argument is that they are way, way cheaper. And if you don’t like what they have now, wait a couple of months and there’ll be a few new models.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

kill me now posted:

10.65% is probably really an 8.65% buy rate from the bank and if its an 84 month loan its an outside bank.

That its kind of what non subvented financing rates are at these days for someone with ok credit on that sort of term.

Still wild that the bank would approve someone with $0 down on a 107k loan that's worth at most $79k at MSRP. Thought I guess its only 135% of the MSRP but still.

yeah i got quoted 9% as a """high risk"""" lendee when the prime rate was zero. 10% now is entirely believable

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The Model 3 is quite big, fits my family of 4 nicely. I doubt the Ioniq 6 can do that.

The back seat of the Ioniq 6 is roomier than the Model 3.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bone Crimes posted:

Tesla: The value proposition seems to be declining, but still the best value currently? With the opening of the supercharger network to others, it seems like Tesla being the ‘clear choice’ as it kinda was previously, is no longer true. CEO, both from political and management perspective is a significant negative. I don’t consider FSD as a real thing, so no advantage there, and the base autopilot, while pretty good, seems to be on par with other systems now. Still has the best software overall maybe?

Model 3: New version is kinda better but is flawed with no stalks. This is pretty much a deal killer for me and others. Still a pretty good value tho, if you can deal with it?
Model Y: Pretty popular, good value, doesn’t have the stalk-less design yet. Seems like the current ‘default’ choice.
Model X and S: Seems like they’ve been eclipsed in their space by other options.
Cybertruck: When this was pitched (awfully I might add, I’m still stunned at how bad that presentation was) I thought the key advantage was cost per unit range, and a low cost version. This has not panned out, at all, and looking at it, I don’t think it ever will. So beyond clout chasing, I’m not sure the type of buyer that wants one of these over a F150 Lightning or a R1T.

VW: I am not sure what the heck is going on with them. Seems like the ID4 is ok, I see lots of them around in my area, but it’s not super compelling with a bunch of annoyances that owners talk about – software, buttons, dash lights. Overall though, seems like the primary alternative to the Model Y, and seems it might have better build quality, but no real key feature that is better than the Y. Still they were supposed to be all-in on electric as a company, but still only have 1 ev model in the US? Weak. I think my main issue is that they seem super slow to introduce the cars that people want? Where is the ID Buzz? – we’re nearly in Q2 2024, I guess the ID 7 is coming, maybe? Will the wagon come to the U.S.? Who knows? Really wanted to buy a VW when I was in the market in 2019, but no dice, and they have not done much since.

Rivian: I hope they make it. I’m very interested in the proposed models, particularly the R3. Owners I’ve talked to seem to really like the R1T and R1S. Fingers crossed they’re around when I’m ready to buy again.

Ford: Both their offerings seem pretty decent, but I don’t know the key value if the Mach E over the Model Y other than the CEO problem, and it seems to be more expensive than the Y. Was really interested in the V2H stuff in the F150L, but it seems like that doesn’t work as well as hoped. Why is this so hard?

Toyota/Subaru: Just not serious it seems. Their PHEVs seem fine, but the comical recalls, and the really bad specs of the BZ4X just seem like a last minute ‘get something out there’ effort. Feels like they are still waiting for evs to fail. Do we know anything really about their upcoming EV cars? Is it all BS?

GM: What the hell is going on? There seemed to be a big wind up, and then… nothing? Is the problem batteries? Is it software? Both the Blazer and the Lyric seem pretty cool, but it seems they can’t make enough of them, or deliver what they have? Just a non-confidence-inspiring fumble. Just learned from the post above that the Silverado actually exists?

Kia/Hyundai: Seem pretty compelling, with their smaller cars and the EV9. Definitely seeing a lot of them recently, and would be considering a EV9 if I was in the market at the moment. Seem to have made some good technology choices (decent efficiency ,800v) , and have not made any ‘deal killer/dumb’ decisions like removing stalks, or capacitive steering wheel buttons. Could be a possibility, but then I'd have to deal with a dealer.

BMW/Audi: Value case for me personally is not there so I haven’t been following them closely. I’ve seen a few BMW EVs and they are not really my thing, style wise, and aren't as utilitarian for my particular taste. I’ve seen a few Audis, and they look totally generic (which might be fine) but their value case when compared to other EVs seems pretty bad. I also have concerns on their battery longevity.

Porsche/Lucid: Too expensive for me, but seem really nice.

I think overall, it’s a weird time in the EV space. Maybe the thing is that we’re beyond the stage where a company can say ‘here’s an ev!’ and folks will buy regardless (at a premium even!), and we’re now in the stage where people will not buy a BZ4X (or whatever)on brand loyalty or whatever, because is just doesn’t have the core features that other cars do. I’m sure the combo of the addition of more EV choices and the interest rate increase also made companies make some hard decisions, and we’re still seeing that pan out. Also features are changing fast enough that waiting sometimes makes sense.

What I would really want:
Functional (big interior, hitch receiver, outlets, seating for 5 or more), efficient, hatchback or wagon, with V2G, and ~300 miles of range and no boneheaded crap for a reasonable price.

Thanks, I’ll have a #2 with fries.

VW really only sells the ID.4 there? That's a shame. We get the ID.4, ID.5 (basically the same car...), ID.3, ID.7 and Buzz here (Sweden). I think VW kind of blew it with the interior controls; have driven several and I just have a really hard time with them. The touch buttons on the steering wheel and the stupid slider are terrible. They made a half hearted attempt at improvement for 2024 with some things like having the climate control buttons always at the bottom of the screen but I think they need to revise is entirely. Now that the EU commies want more physical buttons if they are to give a good safety score it might force their hand.

Incidentally, they did a much better job with the Skoda Enyaq which is basically the ID.4 twin. Proper buttons and a nicer / more conservative interior. The '24 Enyaq RWD is a pretty sweet option with the updated (much more powerful) motor, better efficiency, and new infotainment hardware. Price isn't terrible either--well, it IS terrible but compared to other options pretty attractive. Similarly they made a better ID.3 in the Cupra Born, so not sure why they are selling the IMO worst vehicles under their primary brand.

We do see some Mach Es around here but they aren't particularly popular. Initially the price was quite a bit higher than some similar vehicles, but it's come down a bit now. Still, nothing to really make it more desirable than the alternatives so far. Lack of heat pump is a bit of an issue here in the cold north. No idea if any Lightnings are on the road here but the price was pretty absurd.

BMW did a surprisingly nice job making decent EVs out of ICE platforms. I really like the i4, and the iX3 was surprisingly good. Nice premium feel and good specs, but prices are a bit out of reach for most.

Nissan, yeah, I have no clue what they are doing. The Leaf is pretty old now, and the Ariya doesn't seem to sell well at all. I think I've seen maybe two on the road.

Toyota and Honda, what the gently caress? The bZ4X or whatever was pretty poor spec wise and suffered the recalls. I think they are now offering buybacks in Norway. Honda released one with some stupid name I am not even going to google, and the specs on that one look very similar to my Niro EV which isn't exactly bleeding edge. It's like they aren't even trying.

Tesla I am not sure about, there are shitloads of them used here now and the prices have really dropped.

Volvo, well, I drove the EX30 and it was terrible. The stupid thing with a central screen not even facing you being the only information is so un-Volvo I don't even know where to start. The XC40/C40 has been updated a bit but feels like a very old design now.

Polestar's pretty popular here, but I've only ever seen the P2.

BYD and MG seem to be selling ok. MG sold a shitload of cars in the past couple of years and they seem pretty decent for the money. BYD seems to struggle more with their software but the vehicles themselves don't seem bad at all.

We also have Nio, Zeekr, Maxus, Xpeng etc but it's pretty rare you see one on the road. Would be concerned about buying one in case dealer support disappears.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Beffer posted:

No mention of Chinese cars at all? Are they entirely unavailable in the states?

correct

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Sweden stuff.

Even if they might not be the best of the best, us-biased electric car/branding rankings always leave out the Stellantis electric cars, which are decent albeit a tad pricy. If you don't want to buy a tiny or huge car, they currently have the B-segment pretty much locked down with the their corsa/208/c4 or the slightly bigger mokka/2008/c4x/ds3/avenger/600e/ypsilon.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Beffer posted:

No mention of Chinese cars at all? Are they entirely unavailable in the states? BYD is the biggest ev maker in the world, I think if you include phevs.

I believe the US has a pretty crazy tariff on Chinese vehicle imports, and I can’t imagine any company would exactly be thrilled to gamble on a market where the government will try to force the sale of your business under threat of a ban if your customers use it to embarrass old white guys.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dad is coming by in the next hour in the LEAF, which we will take to the Tesla service center so he can pick up his white model Y with white seats. I still feel like there's a 20% chance he'll nope out of this somehow, my wife has it at 40%.

He wants to name it "casper" which I think is lame and unimaginative. Any suggestions from the live studio audience?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah: dont name your cars

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Patrick Swayze

(It’s a Ghost joke)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Generic Old White Guy

Nov 6, 2002

priznat posted:

Their CX-90 PHEV looks interesting but I decided to not go for the first model year of an all new drivetrain

From my anecdotal reading there are a lot of CX-90 lemons coming off the line. New model, new platform, new drivetrain. Bad time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah: dont name your cars

Fun fact: all Telsas have a bit of stored text that is the car's name. You can set it to whatever you want, I think the default might be "KYOON GRIFFEY JR'S CYBERTRUCK".

When you set up the Tesla app as a key to enter and start the car, you have to select which car you want to enter and start, and having the names is very helpful when, for instance, your sister in law has a car that looks exactly like yours.

This name is also used when you bluetooth pair to the car, which is handy when you want to delete a pairing. I believe the LEAF shows up as "MY CAR"

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 22, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

From my anecdotal reading there are a lot of CX-90 lemons coming off the line. New model, new platform, new drivetrain. Bad time.

Yeah it looks interesting but maybe wait a couple years. They seem to be going more luxe than usual Mazda as well!

Honestly kind of surprised Mazda is pretty slow on going with full EVs, the CX-30 is just the tiniest of toe dips and seems pretty bad.

Nov 6, 2002

Are you talking about the MX-30? Because Mazda is not even going to sell that in the US anymore.

I believe Mazda is going the Toyota route and focusing on PHEV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A new ICE platform is like half a billion dollars. A new EV platform is way more than that. Mazda does not have that kind of money (see - CX-70 as a kind of bodge job 2 row CX-90) and they need to put the limited money they have in to platforms that are going to generate a return.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

cruft posted:

Fun fact: all Telsas have a bit of stored text that is the car's name. You can set it to whatever you want, I think the default might be "KYOON GRIFFEY JR'S CYBERTRUCK".

When you set up the Tesla app as a key to enter and start the car, you have to select which car you want to enter and start, and having the names is very helpful when, for instance, your sister in law has a car that looks exactly like yours.

This name is also used when you bluetooth pair to the car, which is handy when you want to delete a pairing. I believe the LEAF shows up as "MY CAR"

This is also true in the Ford app. Our Bronco is named Karen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is also true in the Ford app. Our Bronco is named Karen.

That's why it keeps asking to speak to your manager.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Yeah, no Chinese cars in the states. Kind of a shame, as some of them seem pretty compelling.

I did forget a few:
Volvo: I’ve seen some of the Volvo EVs driving around, and they seem pretty nice, but I haven’t driven them. I am interested in the EV30, and at first blush I’m not turned off by any decisions made (I have a model 3 with a center screen). I keep wanting Volvo to give me the aerodynamic electric version of the 240 wagon though, and am kinda bitter about it? For some reason we either get lower-cost SUV form factors, or super-expensive wagons (if we get them in the US at all). Still, seems like they’ve made some good decisions, and have executed pretty well.

Polestar: Also seem pretty nice, but originally the cost/value wasn’t very good, but now that seems better? The interior design seems to be polarizing, and the other features (charging, performance, space) seem to be ok, if not up to Tesla in all respects. I’m a bit concerned about them as a company though, after the recent divestment. In terms of design though, seems like they lean to the performance/ ‘car-as-enthusiast-object’ side, more than the ‘car-as-utility-object’ than I, personally, would like.

Honda: I’ve never seen a Honda EV in person, and without googling, I couldn’t tell you if the Honda-e ever made it to the U.S. There are billboards in my area (Seattle) for the new Prologue, so maybe they’ll be making an effort now? Is it too little too late for them with only a re-badged GM product? Not sure. Interior seems ‘not dumb’ maybe, and if they don’t put up paywalls for carplay or whatever that would be neat.

I guess one other criteria for a car I have, is needing the car to work with my partner. She’s not a luddite or anything, but she has this crazy idea that technology should ‘actually work’ and ‘not be worse or stupider than what we currently have’. Which is, honestly, totally fair, and also somehow seems to be a heavy lift for EVs? I’m sure she’d be ok with some change, but with quite a few of the new evs, it would be death by a thousand cuts.

So when I think about having her drive my Model 3, I think of all the stupid stuff she’d have to know:
  • Wipers are a button, but also on the screen – no, there isn’t a stalk like every other car you’ve ever driven. Also the auto-wipe setting sucks.
  • You might have to sweat bullets when you are getting a carwash, because there’s no positive way to shift into neutral – you have to half-push the stalk, and have your foot on the brake, also it takes 2 seconds to register. Good luck!
  • They removed the mode that makes the car feel like a normal ICE car you’re familiar with, sorry! You need to get comfortable with a whole new drive-feel, and deal with all this other design change.
  • Autopilot is pretty handy on the highway, but it could freak out at any time based on these loose criteria (xyz), also it changes all the time when they update the software, so like, no guarantees! Also let’s have a conversation about TACC and Autosteer – which mode are you in? Good question! If this tiny icon is grey it’s one thing, but if it’s blue its another. Got it? Oh, yes, you use the gear shifter and a double-click to get into that mode. Yes it sometimes doesn’t register the double click. Yes that does seem pretty dangerous. ….
The charging situation is however something that is improving I think, and that it would be ok for her to understand/deal with– particularly if using the supercharger network, which is why I’m super glad it’s opening up and everybody is centralizing. I think Tesla does the charging calculations pretty well, and I could tell her to ‘just do what it says’ – which is what I do now – I don’t energy-janitor with a bunch of tools (i.e. ABRP) or risk skipping a charger – I just charge when it says, and it works fine.
So fundamentally the main tradeoffs of an EV – reduced range, and needing to charge – are probably the things she’d be totally fine with – it just all the other things that manufacturers have screwed up that are the problems.
I’m interested in the Honda as a potential for her or maybe the Kia/Hyundai – she’s used to Honda’s design language, and if it doesn’t make any stupid mistakes, it might be a good fit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

Dad is coming by in the next hour in the LEAF, which we will take to the Tesla service center so he can pick up his white model Y with white seats. I still feel like there's a 20% chance he'll nope out of this somehow, my wife has it at 40%.

He wants to name it "casper" which I think is lame and unimaginative. Any suggestions from the live studio audience?

“Boer Taint”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cruft posted:

Name it "mistake"