Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Taking a break but so far performance has been fine for me on PS5 with only some noticeable hitches in in the capital. I wish there wasn't so much clipping on hair, capes, etc. but that's really my only gripe with the visuals. It still has lots of weird stilted jank especially in dialog which is what I wanted.

Fighter is cool but I'm having to rewire my brain away from Devil May Cry controls so it'll take some getting used to. I wonder if I should have spent more time dicking around and looking for side quests, but it seems like the game pushes you to at least reach the capital before you do too much off the beaten path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
loving the game so far, absolutely digging just leading my group of girl scouts into certain death repeatedly. although my performance woes have gone from "annoying ps2-ish framerates in the cities" to "occasional hard crashes in the city," which is not ideal. Everything else is aces. Trying really hard to give myself the authentic experience and not look up where the advanced class trainers are because i desperately want to start spearhanding it up

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So far the hardest single enemy has been a Minotaur who was swinging an axe and killing my entire team in one to two his. He sucked and I ran away losing a pawn in the process.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
The game is amazing.

I was travelling down a road by foot and I saw a cart passing by a lone pawn fighting a minotaur. After goading the minotaur into attacking the cart I was able to get everyone to gang up on it, and just as I was about to leave a griffon decided to crash the party and promptly got the poo poo kicked out of it by everyone involved

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

heads up to people. you have to actually activate the pre-set portstones in areas if you want to be able to ferrystone to them. forgot to do that in the capital and now i gotta long haul it back there.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

A bit annoyed that it’s impossible to find any discussion of the game thats not bitching about the micro transactions

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thief is a ton of fun— lots of movement and some actual useful anti-air in Helmsplitter. Just got the exploding double-jump so now it’s time to trek back and figure out how to get to that one cave I couldn’t reach on the way to the capital. Between that and maybe my pawn being smart enough to springboard I’ll figure something out maybe!

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

my go to with thief do far is doing jump light attack into helm splitter and its been melting most enemies I ran into

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Here's my pawn NVOAXX4K4VX2, on Steam

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Vargs posted:

- 2k to rest at the inn!? I will never sleep. I instead choose to not get hit ever again.

There's player housing you can acquire to sleep for free. You NEED to sleep in a bed to get your main pawn's rift adventuring results like in DD1/DDDA - camping doesn't count

make sure you have at least 20000g ready to go

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So all the DLC/MTX stuff is completely redundant, right? No reason to get anything but the main game?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

So all the DLC/MTX stuff is completely redundant, right? No reason to get anything but the main game?

Everything in the DLC is stuff you can get in-game, yes. Do not fall for Capcom cashgrabs.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Impermanent posted:

great game, just got my first crash after 6 hours nonstop goin

I got my first game freeze/crash at the Inn in Merle.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Have we figured out if Pawn hiring is cross platform or not?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Please hire my Pawn she is sick

4BZS3MV3UIV6

e: oh thank god you can copy and paste these codes on PC

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I extremely dislike that even if I save before a fight, dying and reloading from last save results in damage to max health. That really discourages me from pressing into areas or trying tough fights again which is something I enjoyed in the original.

Also: noticing an absolute ton of warrior pawns, lots of mage pawns, a few rangers and like no thieves. Prerelease polls had me thinking it would be mostly mages and rangers.

I like that thief lets me do a self-enchantment of fire, and also that it’s assassin without the bow. Very cool.

Went to the capital then went back to that ruined town to deliver a letter. Then decided to try to walk back but got my poo poo wrecked by a Minotaur and kept retrying until I had 1/4 max health. Probably shouldn’t do that. I think I’ll level up and explore that opening area for a while. Maybe I’ll find more of those beetles that increase max carry weight. Or seekers tokens. Love that the penultimate reward for seekers tokens is an ultra sexy outfit, they know their audience.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

neosloth posted:

A bit annoyed that it’s impossible to find any discussion of the game thats not bitching about the micro transactions

How could they do this to dragons dogma oh wait the original game was just like this

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Black Griffon posted:

Yes, 100%. You will get those placeable fast travel portals by playing the game, you will find Wakestones in the world, and you will get decent amounts of Rift Crystals just by playing.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I extremely dislike that even if I save before a fight, dying and reloading from last save results in damage to max health. That really discourages me from pressing into areas or trying tough fights again which is something I enjoyed in the original.

Yeah, this is one of the design decisions I don't care for too much. It feels like it doesn't add meaningful good friction to the game, and is just irritating. Luckily in my experience in every place where there's a difficult boss fight, there's also a camping site reasonably close, so you can always go back there to sleep. Yeah, it's irritating having to run out of a dungeon, sleep, and all the way back, but what are you gonna do?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

https://i.imgur.com/0r76Dzj.mp4

lmao what the gently caress

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A similar thing happened to me in the Elf city. Just randomly a bunch of orcs falling out of the sky and going on a rampage downtown.

This is one of those games where I absolutely need to turn on the Shadowplay instant replay feature because so much weird poo poo just keeps happening. I really wish I'd had that on when a gryphon dive bombed me to death with an ox out of the blue.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game is running fine for me but I haven't hit a city yet. Hopefully there's some improvement to come because this is just pure Dragon's Dogma bullshit at it's finest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey DD2 friends, I've stickied the thread for a few days. Let one of us know if you would like it up for longer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

In my first trip to the pawn rift I was immediately greeted by "Jane Dogma" and "shart"

One of my very first support pawns was called cunttt

She seemed nice

e: yes she had the Kindhearted inclination

Vargs posted:

- 2k to rest at the inn!? I will never sleep. I instead choose to not get hit ever again.

Yeah what the hell is up with these price-gouging inns. This is some insane inflation compared to the first game. In DD1, you had to pay 50 gold to rest at the inn in the first village, this time I have to pay 1,000 gold at the starting camp.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 22, 2024

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

HopperUK posted:

Hey DD2 friends, I've stickied the thread for a few days. Let one of us know if you would like it up for longer.

Is there a communal pawn code spreadsheet?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: I realize that hiring a level 33 (and increasing) pawn as a low level player is prohibitively expensive, but hiring friends' pawns remains free, so if anyone wants a free House, M.D., just send me a friend request on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/soralapio/

Can you see Steam friends' pawns in the Rift now?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Done for the night. Good game. I really do appreciate that random pawns will now actually defend themselves on the roads. It's a simple pleasure to see harpies dive bombing someone in the distance and go help out, and it's not some quest or pre-placed event.

Tidbit that might save a couple resets. If you're killed by a big attack and sent flying, if you quickly open up the menu and eat a health restore before the 'im dead' animation plays, you'll get back up.

Another is something the game tells you much later, but is nice to know early: If pawns are squawking about there being things to gather, hit the 'go' command and they'll run off and hoover it all up for you. Same goes for a hired pawn telling you they know the way to your current quest.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

you don't even need to open the menu, you can even use the hotkey to use a healing item while you're still in the dying animation (unless you hit 0 hp from fall damage)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1771137585932308795

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've taken to just hitting Go! whenever my pawns say anything. Also if you give a fighter pawn Springboard they'll sometimes suggest using it to let you hit tall ledges which is cool. There's a couple treasures I've seen out and about that seem like they absolutely require levitate tho, they're even too far away to yell at a mage pawn to grab. Bit disappointed in the thief wall jump, seems basically useless for exploration and too janky to use effectively in combat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This game loving rules, it captured me almost immediately which was a relief since the first game didn't. Had to force myself to stop playing after... Jesus Christ, 7 hours? loving hell.

Only weird thing I've experienced so far was a bunch of guys I thought were bandits attacked me but they were much better dressed. Once I'd killed them all, I noticed they all had ??? titles and there was an option to resuscitate what I assume was their leader? So I did and he was all pissed at me but also no longer hostile. I haven't encountered friendly fire or npcs turning hostile otherwise, so that was confusing.

Toughest fight so far (that I won) was against an ogre, and man that was so loving cool finally getting him down and having my main player mystic spearhand just plunging their weapon over and over again into it's neck till it stopped moving. Game rules so much.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've taken to just hitting Go! whenever my pawns say anything. Also if you give a fighter pawn Springboard they'll sometimes suggest using it to let you hit tall ledges which is cool. There's a couple treasures I've seen out and about that seem like they absolutely require levitate tho, they're even too far away to yell at a mage pawn to grab. Bit disappointed in the thief wall jump, seems basically useless for exploration and too janky to use effectively in combat.

there's a bomb jump thingy you can do as the thief that is basically double jump

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

so far this feels like more, better dd1 and it runs fine on my system

10/10 meets my expectations

i imagine people looking for something a little more polished and less weird are going to be disappointed, just like DD1

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

actually shocking that so far the mods are crotch tattoos and cheats but nobody has put out a restore into free mod

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

...! posted:

PS5 goons need to make pawns for me to hire goddammit :mad:

My birthday is today and I didn't get it from my wife. I'll hold out for my parents tomorrow, but otherwise I will get it on Sunday probably. Sounds like it's more of the same as DD1 with improvements (like better pawn actions and character customization) and that's exactly what I wanted from this game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Enabled the DD1 music option and it changed the opening screen theme to the Dark Arisen version, 0/10 game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sioux posted:

My birthday is today and I didn't get it from my wife.

:sever:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nearly every goon I have as a friend on Steam that was playing DD2 on release had the same idea I did of making a fighter pawn so I had to rely on actually hiring randos for my mage needs. I may need to reclass my own fighter into a mage soon, I guess everyone overcorrected from the mage popularity in the first game lmao.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Arisen, If thou needeth the aid of a sarcastic sword lesbian, hesitate not to input code VJ6VEIRXL01N

https://steamcommunity.com/id/zer0_gravitas/

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 22, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there really no “new game” option? Bizarre choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I had a lot of fun playing last night!

I made my pawn an archer to be hipster, and she's turning out dumb as bricks. (I think I picked the simple inclination so... that's on me.) At some point I got a tutorial popup about the brine and I turned around and she had fallen off a cliff somewhere, so I had to go back to town to resummon her. Then I picked up a panacea from a chest and she made a comment about "what say we pelt one at the next foe we encounter!" Uh, no, let's say we don't? That said she will also pincushion goblin heads with arrows and knock harpies and birds out of the sky so she's not all bad. :3:

Got to Vermund and my performance was not terrible at all (thank u based CPU). My game did randomly crash at the inn though. Can't wait to play more today.