Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I really dislike the procgen content - the proc gen characters and items have been terrible garbage and it sucks when you start getting them instead of actually good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Generate heroes and items loving rule actually :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the generated items I've seen have been nuts. Had one that replaced the middle row with cantrip attack+mana, and another that added self-repel to all sides. I gave the latter to a generated T4 yellow that had some giant damage sides and it would just obliterate all enemies targeting him when he used one of those attacks.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Is there any way to make the dice smaller? You can shrink the UI but the dice stay the same size and it irks me just a little bit. Otherwise, 10/10 update.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Generated heroes seem to trend towards having 1 really overstatted dice and way too much hp, so you wind up with an inconsistent piece of garbage that dies last while never rolling its one usable dice face. This doesn't seem to apply as much to blue heroes as much, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to set some app limits on this thing or something, jesus christ

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Einwand posted:

Generated heroes seem to trend towards having 1 really overstatted dice and way too much hp, so you wind up with an inconsistent piece of garbage that dies last while never rolling its one usable dice face. This doesn't seem to apply as much to blue heroes as much, though.

Hard agree. I had a run with the green cat (never level up) and after accepting a random red lvl 4 to test, I ended up skipping all the other level up. My random red lvl4 had tons of HP and a side with damage + self heal 10, but with the 5 other faces at heal 1 it really wasn't that interesting.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, the generated items I've seen have been nuts. Had one that replaced the middle row with cantrip attack+mana, and another that added self-repel to all sides. I gave the latter to a generated T4 yellow that had some giant damage sides and it would just obliterate all enemies targeting him when he used one of those attacks.

There are generated items? What mode has those?

In other news, everyone has probably figured this out already, but Presence + Bandana is uh, pretty drat good.

I don't get the "Green characters are weak" thing at all. Some are... clearly better than others, but I'm not sure I'd call them weak. Then again, before the current version, my favorite modes were Custom (with random parties) and Generate, so....

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Green has Twin, and Twin was darn good when it was a Grey so...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

In other news, everyone has probably figured this out already, but Presence + Bandana is uh, pretty drat good.

I don't get the "Green characters are weak" thing at all. Some are... clearly better than others, but I'm not sure I'd call them weak. Then again, before the current version, my favorite modes were Custom (with random parties) and Generate, so....

green are situational and if you don't get the stuff to make their gimmick work they're kidn of wastes

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Shwqa posted:

Yeah, they are new to 3.0. They are extremely niche. If you get the right situation, then you are made. Most of the times, they are there to make use of item that replace sides while having unique abilities.

Sphere is five sides of +1 reroll cantrip, so it's just generically good for making sure you get the sides you want on everyone else. Also if you have any way to get Growth on the Sphere, it's basically going to go infinite. I gave Presence an item that made all non-pip sides cantrip, and together with Sphere got a zero-turn hexia. In short, as said, greens absolutely depend on items or synergies and will be weak to bad if you don't pull their toy.

Agree on generated heroes being pretty underwhelming, though. I would already have called the Eccentric bad, and they pretty much all do that but more so. A ranged poison four-pip face will kill pretty much any single monster, sure, but when your other five faces are all blank, you're not winning the battle, let alone the run.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ceebees posted:

I would already have called the Eccentric bad,

:stare:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the eccentric loving sucks

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You take that back

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Is there a wiki anywhere that explains what all the modifiers do? Some of them cryptic and hard to understand, or how they would be useful.

I looked myself but the Fandom wiki I found was quite outdated.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

ah, it’s based on the target, got it

No, target has nothing to do with it, it's just a simple "did the previous dice used have more pips than this one has by default?", you can target something else if you want. It's specifically what pips are on that dice when used, though - focus won't count since that's only applied when you actually hit the monster. I think that's the case for all mechanics which refer to pips, even.

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Is there any way to make the dice smaller? You can shrink the UI but the dice stay the same size and it irks me just a little bit. Otherwise, 10/10 update.

I'd also love to have this - I'm avoiding using portrait mode on PC because it makes the dice absolutely enormous which just feels viscerally off

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

They mostly show up at item quality 10+, so usually takes endgame levels in a mode/difficulty that has blessings, but I did get one somewhat earlier than that (anvil? I forget.)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Interestingly, you can sometimes get generated items from quality 10 items that are 12-13 items with a cursed item glued to it, which is neat.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the eccentric loving sucks

The Eccentric is either the best or second best tier 3 yellow in the game. Leader is probably(?) better.

Having your good side be on the right is an overwhelming advantage.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Got to floor 27 yesterday in Nightmare before losing to bad rolls. I had a generate character with a 74 pip shield side and another with echo on mana gen but sadly couldn't put them together.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I have never actually seen the HP bar shrink this much, neat.

Stoic with HP-boosting items is pretty nuts! can stun anything and redirect any hit to itself, having Bind and Liquor as safeties was just excessive

edit: just came across this old screenshot of my echo wizard, good times

Ramie fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 22, 2024

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

The Eccentric is either the best or second best tier 3 yellow in the game. Leader is probably(?) better.

Having your good side be on the right is an overwhelming advantage.

Yeah. Dude is unusually resistant to petrify, shrugs off some of the nastiest blank-side curses, and can freely use tons of good items with no meaningful downside. On top of that, he has multiple sides that can instakill Zombies and (non-curse/Nightmare enhanced) Bones/Imps/etc, sometimes two at a time. And his Descend face can kill Archers and Snipers outright if there's a front-row target above them.

Eccentric is really, really good.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I think I found a bug. I stuck Reagents and Demon Eye on a Juggler, but every time any cantrip (not just the tagged one) on that hero went off, the hero took damage.

Now what?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it sucks to roll X's therefore eccentric sucks, imo

i will admit i didn't clock on to the benefits of the righthand sides being the good ones - i vaguely understood there were a lot of items that give +righthand bonuses, but didn't consider petrification. still hate the weird little fucker though

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Banjo Bones posted:

Is there a wiki anywhere that explains what all the modifiers do? Some of them cryptic and hard to understand, or how they would be useful.

I looked myself but the Fandom wiki I found was quite outdated.

There used to be an in-game guide or something that helped with this.

Best modifier is (probably) "hyperboned.'

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it sucks to roll X's therefore eccentric sucks, imo

i will admit i didn't clock on to the benefits of the righthand sides being the good ones - i vaguely understood there were a lot of items that give +righthand bonuses, but didn't consider petrification. still hate the weird little fucker though

It's not just the right side bonuses--there are a lot of items that overwrite the left or middle side with something nice, but since that's where most classes have their good sides those items often wind up being a very marginal benefit since you give up something that's often about as good as what the item gives you. Since the Eccentric has blanks there these are all upside.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There's also a lot of items that are "Replace blank sides with Range 2" or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CubicalSucrose posted:

There used to be an in-game guide or something that helped with this.

Best modifier is (probably) "hyperboned.'

There still is, under settings->help->keywords

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

There's also a lot of items that are "Replace blank sides with Range 2" or something.

Sure, but those are less specific to the Eccentric because 3 blanks isn't as much of an outlier.

The main problem with the Eccentric is that in cursed modes you will probably eventually get the curse that turns your right side into a blank. Hope you didn't pick it up on level 16 of a loop you already have Eccentric on (this is exactly when you will roll it.)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Sure, but those are less specific to the Eccentric because 3 blanks isn't as much of an outlier.

There's like 3 level 3 heroes that have 3 blank sides.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CainFortea posted:

There's like 3 level 3 heroes that have 3 blank sides.

Ace also sucks. Prince is maybe okay.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Quackles posted:

I think I found a bug. I stuck Reagents and Demon Eye on a Juggler, but every time any cantrip (not just the tagged one) on that hero went off, the hero took damage.

Now what?

Make a paste of this (pause menu->copy) and post it here.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dr. Stab posted:

Make a paste of this (pause menu->copy) and post it here.

That was 3 games ago, though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Ace also sucks. Prince is maybe okay.

The ones with lots of blank sides are just very item dependent. They have a very wide swing between Fuckin Rad and Absolute Garbage.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Ace is just kinda underwhelming on all fronts to me. The sides are effectively 3/4/1 mana, which is probably less total vanilla pips than you want. Getting the 9 mana off of the left side only really feels good if you have some other spell to cast, or some combo going on to really utilize the boost (if you didn't already spend that side to trigger the triple).

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Eccentric is really good if you have any sort of items to fill in the gaps, which you often will because there's a lot of items that give good left/middle side dice that you won't want to use on anyone else, and a functional if not stellar option otherwise.
I'm unsure if I hate Lazy or Scoundrel more, for T1 heroes. Lazy at least has good numbers on his two dice, and you're usually not super reliant on the yellow hero early to deal damage.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Full Moon is my new favorite item

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Not sure if this has been answered and I missed it, but is there a way to carry over anything from the downloaded itch.io version of the game to steam? Played a ton like 16 months ago, but I feel like there are enough weird niche secrets and achievements that I do not necessarily want to do the work to unlock all of them again, but I still would want to work on new achievements that I did not have previously unlocked.

Also, any idea what the record for Blursed ended up being or is it known? I know a while ago I had a decent score here, but I am sure it got beat at some time between when I stopped playing and now.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 22, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I honestly think Scoundrel is one of the better tier 1 orange. They only have two sides, but they're two of the three best sides available to orange, and the high HP helps a ton. I often keep a scoundrel for a while, opting to promote others, first.

I'm annoyed that a Sc2undrel isn't a Scoundrel and doesn't benefit from their level 0 item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, any idea what the record for Blursed ended up being or is it known? I know a while ago I had a decent score here, but I am sure it got beat at time point.

Somewhere north of 500, not sure how high it got run up.