Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tigey posted:

Yeah some people are desperate to find secret masterplans that prove they were right about AmeriKKKan intentions toward Ukraine all along.

The simplest explanation is that its an election year and Biden is scared that high oil prices will hurt his prospects.

He's right on that. But he has lost leverage over Ukraine due to the shenanigans in the House, so needs to find a way to provide Ukraine with other means of hitting Russia back. Right now they have no incentive to stop.

I think there is a side of that but I do think there is a lot of “if Russia implodes, poo poo might get way worse real quick, and we already have a bunch of international crisis right now” that being said, I don’t think we will actually do anything negative towards the Ukrainians outside some vague strong words and then just continue to feed them targets and data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Ukraine should do everything it can to blast Russia back to the stone age. gently caress the monke.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The strikes on Russian infrastructure seem to have limited effect on Russia's ability to prosecute the war anyway. They are good propaganda moves for Ukraine, they pull focus away from Russia's slow, grinding advance. But it's easy to see why even Ukraine's backers wouldn't be happy to accept higher gas prices in exchange for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anonumos posted:

Ukraine should do everything it can to blast Russia back to the stone age. gently caress the monke.

We all are in the stone age.
:goonsay:

e: LMAO FUUUUUCK I forgot about bronze and iron age what the heck LOL.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

The strikes on Russian infrastructure seem to have limited effect on Russia's ability to prosecute the war anyway. They are good propaganda moves for Ukraine, they pull focus away from Russia's slow, grinding advance. But it's easy to see why even Ukraine's backers wouldn't be happy to accept higher gas prices in exchange for it.

Blowing up refineries won't have an instant impact on the war, but it will absolutely slow down reinforcements and supplies in the weeks and months to come. Either from the money lost on exporting fuel products/importing at a premium, or the actual physical absence of gas/diesel to drive to the front lines. Arguably its the only thing Ukraine can do right now to affect Russia's ability to prosecute the war, because they don't have the weapons to blow up thousands of Russian tanks.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Russia is indeed the only oil exporter in the world.

Also just let russia collapse and/or balkanize with everything involved. Russians deserve another chance at a new democratically elected government they can piss away and invade neighbours again, since they miss stalin or some poo poo.

Russia surviving the war anywhere near its current stat means just another war in a decade or two. Pretending otherwise is stupid and western take.

haddedam fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 22, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

That cannot be true, given that they've knocked out significant amounts of refining capability. That's critical for armored warfare.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Just a heads up but Russia has banned the export of gasoline for 6 months.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

steinrokkan posted:

That's not true, though... The US admin doesn't want the Russian government to fail catastrophically, as in be toppled due to its failures, but nobody in any position of authority anywhere wants that. They would like Russia to lose, but in the form of a negotiated withdrawal based on a cost benefit analysis. Which is perhaps naive, but there really isn't any other option.

the fact that Russia is now in year whatever of the 3 day special military operation should clue these clowns in that Putin isn't interested in money based risk benefit analysis, or, forcing the issue into terms that they might understand, Putin puts the value of being a conquering hero and/or restoring Greater Russia at $Texas.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

haddedam posted:

Russia surviving the war anywhere near its current stat means just another war in a decade or two. Pretending otherwise is stupid and western take.

The concept of sovereignty kills more people than it saves IMO. It should only apply to genuine democracies at most.

There mustn't always be a Russia.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

That cannot be true, given that they've knocked out significant amounts of refining capability. That's critical for armored warfare.

yeah but they can do stuff like this

Tai posted:

Just a heads up but Russia has banned the export of gasoline for 6 months.

It's not like Russia is literally going to run out of gas for their tank. If they have less gas available, they will of course prioritize the military. They can stop exporting, they can enforce rationing for civilian use, they can get more severe on their rationing, etc.

It will of course be bad for the economy. But as they say, no financial pressure has ever stopped a war in progress.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

haddedam posted:

While I fully understand this line of thinking it's very pessimistic. This assumes two things - in a decade or two Russia is in a better place to make war than it is now and that only Russia does anything in the next two decades.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1771137908419809628
3000 divided by the approx. 500-600 that were actually sent there means they were all killed at least 4 to 5 times, possibly more in some cases

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's not like Russia is literally going to run out of gas for their tank. If they have less gas available, they will of course prioritize the military. They can stop exporting, they can enforce rationing for civilian use, they can get more severe on their rationing, etc.

It will of course be bad for the economy. But as they say, no financial pressure has ever stopped a war in progress.

Read again what you posted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Their tanks and most of their trucks are diesel. The ban on export of gasoline is to try to hide the impact from the population, who use the gasoline more.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Congratulations Russia, on the end of the Special Military Operation!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:laffo:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Vampire Panties posted:

Blowing up refineries won't have an instant impact on the war, but it will absolutely slow down reinforcements and supplies in the weeks and months to come. Either from the money lost on exporting fuel products/importing at a premium, or the actual physical absence of gas/diesel to drive to the front lines. Arguably its the only thing Ukraine can do right now to affect Russia's ability to prosecute the war, because they don't have the weapons to blow up thousands of Russian tanks.

It's funny that every time there seems to be something that has an effect, only for unnamed sources to say 'Ha, it is having no effect, in fact it is hurting you worse than it hurts us! So you may as well stop! ...please?'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

well poo poo no wonder they haven't been able to win

they brought a special military operation knife to a warfight

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

While I fully understand this line of thinking it's very pessimistic. This assumes two things - in a decade or two Russia is in a better place to make war than it is now and that only Russia does anything in the next two decades.

As someone of population and citizenship of a country and ethnicity often selected as a target of a russian invasion and genocide either by joke, threat or a promise, it is very easy to see the pattern and I'd rather have the agressor put down than have my people go through yet another invasion or genocide. I'll happily pay higher gas prizes if it means russia joins the EU, NATO and the camp that values human rights and lives.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think there is a side of that but I do think there is a lot of “if Russia implodes, poo poo might get way worse real quick, and we already have a bunch of international crisis right now” that being said, I don’t think we will actually do anything negative towards the Ukrainians outside some vague strong words and then just continue to feed them targets and data.

I can absolutely see the US stopping secretly feeding intel to Ukraine on effective targets within Ukraine's reach over too many refineries being hit tbh

Also lmao if any of the secret intel involved said refineries

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

haddedam posted:

As someone of population and citizenship of a country and ethnicity often selected as a target of a russian invasion and genocide either by joke, threat or a promise, it is very easy to see the pattern and I'd rather have the agressor put down than have my people go through yet another invasion or genocide. I'll happily pay higher gas prizes if it means russia joins the EU, NATO and the camp that values human rights and lives.

we don't either but we pretend to domestically so it's still better to be in than out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I can absolutely see the US stopping secretly feeding intel to Ukraine on effective targets within Ukraine's reach over too many refineries being hit tbh

Also lmao if any of the secret intel involved said refineries

ill put it this way. i think you will get one or two articles like this were some anonymous source says "hey you probably shouldnt do that" but your not gonna have schumer or harris or biden or the Joint chiefs come out and say it or even a spokesperson. we will probably see ukrainians try other tactics too.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ill put it this way. i think you will get one or two articles like this were some anonymous source says "hey you probably shouldnt do that" but your not gonna have schumer or harris or biden or the Joint chiefs come out and say it or even a spokesperson. we will probably see ukrainians try other tactics too.

I also don't think Ukraine is going to listen to the US on this one even if it is One Guy™ and we'll probably still see more refineries blowing up before April and hell, I'm all for that.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Baltic Fleet seeing the Black Sea Fleet having all the fun, so they're showing them how it's really done.

Now that Finland and Sweden are in NATO the Baltic Fleet truly is just the Baltic Fleet. lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Day one of the three day war

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin saved up enough rubles buying discount shahed to missile attack civ infrastructure again in a tantrum. US officials worried about gas prices are probably the same ones that have been worried about Ukraine defending themselves at all since day one. Russia does a terrorism and some mysterious morons pop up to let everyone know that surrender is always the best choice economically.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia: "Not bad, you made us use 60% of our power"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I also don't think Ukraine is going to listen to the US on this one even if it is One Guy™ and we'll probably still see more refineries blowing up before April and hell, I'm all for that.

same and same.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Inflation still stupidly high for making or extracting stuff but otherwise Russian economy stonk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EorayMel posted:

"Sorry American, I cant hear you over the sound of burning refinery!"

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
according to an anonymous source within the US government, ukraine is going to look like a poor waif in their underpants when they find out that targeting russian refineries has no effect, actually

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah I would love to see that as well but it seems the Biden admin is mostly afraid of this escalating into an oil crisis that make fuel prices go up, which is a great way to lose elections.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Sorry American, I cant hear you over the sound of burning refinery!"

The camera pans through an open field to a soldier. He begins giving a highly detailed and technical description of the conflict's geopolitical situation. Explosions start off screen, completely drowning out the soldier, who continues earnestly talking about Russian ambitions in the area.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Monstaland posted:

Yeah I would love to see that as well but it seems the Biden admin is mostly afraid of this escalating into an oil crisis that make fuel prices go up, which is a great way to lose elections.

The only oil crisis is the most recent pair of underwear Putin put on

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/stoparmy/4273
Here we go, they're now sending summons to Moscow boys to join monke's army

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zone posted:

things aint great if your sending cards to the imperial center.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1771201403853197413
:rolleye:

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Good, you can gently caress off then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zone posted:

man, putin seems to really think one massive push over this summer will do it. hope those czech shells start arriving sooner rather than later