Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Considering there's rumors they're trading up to 4-6 to get him, I think they'd like that Monkeypaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Comfortador posted:

Considering there's rumors they're trading up to 4-6 to get him, I think they'd like that Monkeypaw

that seems like a crazy reach for JJ McCarthy

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is and it may all end up being smoke screens or silly season rumors, but there are some teams that NEED a QB and the class next year looks a little barren at the moment.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is something that it seems like the perception of professional league scouts and execs is very different than the twittersphere/talking heads/fan opinions right now. Or like YOLO said, could be a lot of smoke screens.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Oh totally, I thought JJ was a 2nd/3rd rounder but apparently I am wrong. It seems every year there is some weird rear end movement, and this is the one picking up (possibly bullshit) hype.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
McCarthy threw the ball so little that you can just project all your deepest prospect desires onto him and no one can say any diffeent, that's the magic right there

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

JJ may have a lower ceiling than the other top qb prospects but he also has a lower floor.

The perfect prospect.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

JJ may have a lower ceiling than the other top qb prospects but he also has a lower floor.

:golfclap:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm excited for the upcoming decade of the JJ2JJ connection

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Apparently because of the lack of volume with JJ scouts are focusing on his third down tape and like his decision making on "pressure downs".

I still think that smacks of a potentially bad way to evaluate a prospect. It also might just be horseshit like half of sports media but eh. Food for thought.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JJ has some of the worst stats in this class on 3rd and long. In theory this seems like it would be a good axis to evaluate QBs on, how are they in obvious passing situations? In practice college offenses are dumb as hell and it's somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible to derive any meaning from these plays.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This could be true. Or it’s disinformation aimed at getting the Vikings to trade up to 4 or 5, pushing the WRs down a pick.

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1770944517488680994?s=46

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Diva Cupcake posted:

This could be true. Or it’s disinformation aimed at getting the Vikings to trade up to 4 or 5, pushing the WRs down a pick.

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1770944517488680994?s=46

isn't Allbright a complete hack? He's the dude who posted that big weepy video on twitter about cheating on his wife to try to get her back, right?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

isn't Allbright a complete hack? He's the dude who posted that big weepy video on twitter about cheating on his wife to try to get her back, right?
Yeah he’s a shithead but it’s not his report and it was picked up by the aggregators as well. He’s just confirming.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
JJ is super young, he just turned 21. He almost 3 full years younger than Bo Nix. The age curve is very real when it comes to draft.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Calidus posted:

JJ is super young, he just turned 21. He almost 3 full years younger than Bo Nix. The age curve is very real when it comes to draft.

JJ to the Bears confirmed.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I wonder if the Cardinals get three firsts out of Minnesota since they essentially give up MHJ by leaving #4.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think it's underdiscussed how Minnesota might be pretty badly situated to move up, even though they're sitting just outside the top 10. Any team in that 4-6 stretch wouldn't just be giving up on their preferred prospect by moving down to 11; there's a good chance they'd be giving up on the entire "blue chip" tier of prospect in this draft.

I feel like most teams would have no more than 8-9 guys classified on that level — some combo of the top 3 QBs, top 3 WRs, maybe 1-2 LTs, maybe an EDGE or a CB, maybe Bowers. A trade down with Minnesota would be hard to swallow unless you're really high on Bowers, a defender or a non-Alt tackle.

And then from Minnesota's perspective, you've got an inverse situation going on, where it's totally reasonable for them to ask "How much should I really have to pay for the right to move up 6-7 picks and draft the 4th best QB in this draft?". It's hard for me to imagine them finding common ground with another team on a fair price to trade up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chicago - QB
Wash - QB
NE - QB
ARi - WR
Chargers - might be willing to trade
Giants - QB is a possibility but probably 2nd best WR in the class
Tennessee - not a QB
Atlanta - probably an edge
Chicago - who knows.

I mean... They might be able to stand pat and get who they want anyway but I think the most likely candidate to trade back would be the chargers. With their current cap they might want as many rookie contracts as possible but they did lose Allen and Williams this offseason so you'd think for sure they're staying to take the best receiver they can.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I think it's underdiscussed how Minnesota might be pretty badly situated to move up, even though they're sitting just outside the top 10. Any team in that 4-6 stretch wouldn't just be giving up on their preferred prospect by moving down to 11; there's a good chance they'd be giving up on the entire "blue chip" tier of prospect in this draft.

I feel like most teams would have no more than 8-9 guys classified on that level — some combo of the top 3 QBs, top 3 WRs, maybe 1-2 LTs, maybe an EDGE or a CB, maybe Bowers. A trade down with Minnesota would be hard to swallow unless you're really high on Bowers, a defender or a non-Alt tackle.

And then from Minnesota's perspective, you've got an inverse situation going on, where it's totally reasonable for them to ask "How much should I really have to pay for the right to move up 6-7 picks and draft the 4th best QB in this draft?". It's hard for me to imagine them finding common ground with another team on a fair price to trade up.

I've been saying this for a while in the context of the Pats. If the evaluations of the top ~10 guys in this draft are correct (which is a huge if), trading back means giving up your shot at the kind of player who is a franchise bedrock for many years. You're looking at a significant tier drop. The rebuttal is that draft evals are wrong all the drat time and sometimes Josh Rosen goes at 10 while Lamar Jackson goes at 32. Which is fair.

But I agree with you. If a team in the top 5 is going to trade back with someone in that 11-15 range, they need to ask for the moon and the stars. The opportunity cost of all the guys they are foregoing is huge.

I was listening to a podcast tonight that proposed the Vikings send their 2 2024 firsts, 2024 5th or something, and 2025 first to New England. In return for the 2024 3rd overall and a 2025 3rd rounder. That's the kind of overwhelming haul that would make me feel OK about trading back. Is it realistic? I dunno, that is a lot of loving picks lol. For what it's worth it was PFF's Stock Exchange podcast, not some dumbass Boston homer show. It's also peak "making stuff up for engagement" season. But if I were in charge, I would want that kind of return to willingly pass on all QBs, Marvin Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Joe Alt.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Chicago - QB
Wash - QB
NE - QB
ARi - WR
Tennessee - not a QB
Chicago - who knows.

I mean... They might be able to stand pat and get who they want anyway but I think the most likely candidate to trade back would be the chargers. With their current cap they might want as many rookie contracts as possible but they did lose Allen and Williams this offseason so you'd think for sure they're staying to take the best receiver they can.

I think the Arizona situation is illustrative of the conversation we’re having about the trade back with Minnesota taking them out of blue chip prospect range.

If Minnesota was at 9 then I’d be much more willing to trade if I was Arizona. Because you’d still have a chance at one of the elite 3 WRs. But because Minnesota is at 11, there’s minimal chance Odunze or Nabers lasts that long, and as such I’d be hesitant to trade down if I was Arizona unless the package was astronomical.

><><><><

Also, I strongly disagree with the Falcons going defense at their pick. Obviously their pass rush has been awful the last few years, so I get why it’s mocked to them… but the top WR prospects and OT prospects are such better quality than the top defensive line prospects, and are positions of need, that I’d prioritize maximizing the offense around Kirk.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Are you sure you don't want a point guard?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ll take a point guard

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I've been saying this for a while in the context of the Pats. If the evaluations of the top ~10 guys in this draft are correct (which is a huge if), trading back means giving up your shot at the kind of player who is a franchise bedrock for many years. You're looking at a significant tier drop. The rebuttal is that draft evals are wrong all the drat time and sometimes Josh Rosen goes at 10 while Lamar Jackson goes at 32. Which is fair.

But I agree with you. If a team in the top 5 is going to trade back with someone in that 11-15 range, they need to ask for the moon and the stars. The opportunity cost of all the guys they are foregoing is huge.

I was listening to a podcast tonight that proposed the Vikings send their 2 2024 firsts, 2024 5th or something, and 2025 first to New England. In return for the 2024 3rd overall and a 2025 3rd rounder. That's the kind of overwhelming haul that would make me feel OK about trading back. Is it realistic? I dunno, that is a lot of loving picks lol. For what it's worth it was PFF's Stock Exchange podcast, not some dumbass Boston homer show. It's also peak "making stuff up for engagement" season. But if I were in charge, I would want that kind of return to willingly pass on all QBs, Marvin Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Joe Alt.

New England makes sense only because they're a roster thats about as devoid as talent as it gets and there's an argument to be made that 3 first rounders and change is far more valuable than rolling the dice on the 3rd best QB prospect in the class.

Its hard to know how many prospects they have ranked in certain tiers though, you hear every year one org has 10 guys rated as true first rounders and other teams have 30. It's fun to speculate during the offseason and I get the content mill with the whole "I'm hearing rumours" (because I'm speaking them into life rn) happens a lot but that team has gently caress all talent you'd build around right now.

I think the Arizona situation is illustrative of the conversation we’re having about the trade back with Minnesota taking them out of blue chip prospect range.

If Minnesota was at 9 then I’d be much more willing to trade if I was Arizona. Because you’d still have a chance at one of the elite 3 WRs. But because Minnesota is at 11, there’s minimal chance Odunze or Nabers lasts that long, and as such I’d be hesitant to trade down if I was Arizona unless the package was astronomical.

><><><><

Also, I strongly disagree with the Falcons going defense at their pick. Obviously their pass rush has been awful the last few years, so I get why it’s mocked to them… but the top WR prospects and OT prospects are such better quality than the top defensive line prospects, and are positions of need, that I’d prioritize maximizing the offense around Kirk.

I definitely wouldn't discount Atlanta looking to go for a crazy offense to kick their rebuild in the guts, especially after the mis steps the last few years but they've invested 3 of their last first round picks on offensive skills positions. I agree a sick offensive unit with a god tier tight end, x2 good WRs and a crazy good running back stable would be insanely fun, but there's a really good chance Nabers, Alt, and Odunze are all gone and I think Latu and Turner are more highly regarded than Worthy or Thomas. But I feel like Atlanta just became the front runner for the division the day they signed Kirk already.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is Kyle Pitts still considered a god tier TE? He’s going into year 4. His trade value would be far less than a 1st rounder if he were on the block.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Stop trading Arizona out of the spot to draft MHJ. He's their biggest need and they traded back last year. 3 firsts isn't enough gimme 5 firsts I want someone to root for other than McBride and Connor

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember 20 years ago the Bills trying to trade up ahead of the Steelers from I think 14 to get Roethlisberger and being unable to do so, because the Browns loved Winslow Jr. too much, the Jaguars had to have Reggie Williams, and the Texans preferred Dunta Robinson to an extra first round pick (or, y'know, a franchise quarterback).

Trading up into the top 10 within a month of the draft is hard. Every team has a prospect or two they're in love with.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is Kyle Pitts still considered a god tier TE? He’s going into year 4. His trade value would be far less than a 1st rounder if he were on the block.

The idea of Kyle Pitts is god tier, the player? Who knows.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

xbilkis posted:

ESPN had a draft article that suggested Minnesota’s plan will be to use that extra first to trade up to the Chargers’ pick, then use that pick plus future firsts to convince the Patriots to move back to 5. I’m not saying that’s going to work but it’s maybe how they try to get into the top.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Diva Cupcake posted:

by people who had him in fantasy his rookie year and are chasing the dragon, yes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The whole Kyle Pitts saga makes me nervous about taking Bowers in the top 10.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

The whole Kyle Pitts saga makes me nervous about taking Bowers in the top 10.

And Bowers seems worse than Pitts in most ways… size, speed, contested catches…

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The guys that have outpreformed Pitts like Mandrews or Laporta also have less impressive skill sets than he does lol. TE's are just hard to project.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Bowers is like, an extremely different prospect from Pitts. He lined up as a TE on something like 45% of his snaps in college; Nate Tice described him as an "oversized slot player." Here's Tice's writeup on him, which I think lays out neatly why he's viewed as a top prospect despite the size concerns. Basically: he'll let an offensive coordinator do cool as hell things.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brock-bowers-is-this-nfl-drafts-marquee-enigma-hes-also-worthy-of-the-hype-012737605.html

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 22, 2024

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Professor Funk posted:

Bowers is like, an extremely different prospect from Pitts. He lined up as a TE on something like 45% of his snaps in college; Nate Tice described him as an "oversized slot player." Here's Tice's writeup on him, which I think lays out neatly why he's viewed as a top prospect despite the size concerns. Basically: he'll let an offensive coordinator do cool as hell things.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brock-bowers-is-this-nfl-drafts-marquee-enigma-hes-also-worthy-of-the-hype-012737605.html

Isn’t that exactly what Pitts was basically regarded as except he was an even better route runner than Bowers?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BlindSite posted:

Chicago - QB
Wash - QB
NE - QB
ARi - WR
Tennessee - not a QB
Chicago - who knows.

><><><><

I like this post.

I have read that Arizona is fixed on MHJ and is not willing to trade back if he is available. No idea how true it is but I'd believe it since they have a second 1st rounder from the Houston trade last year. I could see them trading back in MHJ goes in the top 3 though.

The Chargers are noted as being willing to trade out of 5. They want more picks. I wouldnt blame them for taking a T (to be their RT) but I dont think they want an RT at 5 and would be willing to trade back and take one at 9 or 11 in order to get extra picks.

Giants have needs everywhere so I think they are a bit of a wildcard.

Tennessee will take a T. It is practically guaranteed after they signed Ridley to that stupidly expensive deal and how extremely bad their OL was last year.

I could see Atlanta taking a RT since Kirk is not known for being mobile before he suffered the Achilles injury and they have so much invested in offense solidifying the OL sounds smart, then they go defense the rest of the draft.

Chichago doesnt have a 2nd or a 3rd but I could see them taking Nabers or Odunze if they drop that far, or the top edge if all the picks in front of them are offensive guys.

It is shaping up to be extremely interesting but my gut is telling me that it is going to end up being a boring first round when no big trades into the top 10 happen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers need a loving receiver stop mocking them a tackle

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers need a loving receiver stop mocking them a tackle
The argument there is that there is a ton of WR depth in the draft so, especially if they trade back and get an extra 2nd as part of the deal, they can get WRs. I'm not saying I agree with it.

edit: I guess part of it is that I could see Harbaugh banging the table for an elite OL so they can dominate the trenches, run, and have Herbie throw beautiful bombs to whatever WRs that they do have.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The argument there is that there is a ton of WR depth in the draft so, especially if they trade back and get an extra 2nd as part of the deal, they can get WRs. I'm not saying I agree with it.

edit: I guess part of it is that I could see Harbaugh banging the table for an elite OL so they can dominate the trenches, run, and have Herbie throw beautiful bombs to whatever WRs that they do have.

I'd argue that the interior OL is a bigger need than tackle for the Chargers, and after losing Mike and Keenan, getting a blue chip prospect at 5 is a necessity.

I also think people just assume Harbaugh wants OL without much precedent. Did SF draft OL in the first three rounds even once with Harbaugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Isn’t that exactly what Pitts was basically regarded as except he was an even better route runner than Bowers?

Bowers is a CMC type player, except instead of a RB/TE hybrid he’s a TE/Slot receiver mutt. Pitts was the physical freak who theoretically shouldn’t be guard able. Bowers problem is gonna be staying healthy.

Atlanta had just inexplicably not utilized him. Part of that is qb play and part was Arthur Smith being weird.

Maybe he just straight up doesn’t know how to play football but I think he’ll eventually end up somewhere like Buffalo and just go nuts