Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gonna repost this from the management games thread:

explosivo posted:

If you're checking out Sim City 3000 on Steam there's a widescreen hack that I found here, works perfectly once you're in game.

It's been a very long time since I've played SC3k but looking forward to trying it again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Opals25 posted:

It's not; they're just all part of the ultimate collection. Only set me back 7 bucks for everything except 3.

Well I know what I'm buying today.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Going to try some sc4 with NAM/CAM/sc4fix/sc4launcher, what other crucial mods are out there?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

The update was "no update this week, exciting new update next week", but they didn't post it to the forums, only to the discord and twitter for some reason:

https://twitter.com/CitiesSkylines/status/1764656209527746965

Guessing it's about the upcoming DLC, or hopefully progress on the assets editor.

Today's Word of the Week is out, after last week's cancellation due to an exciting new update for today's.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-15.1628858/

The update?: Modding support is currently being developed, I guess it's in closed beta now? I don't think they say that but it's implied?

And no timeframes or anything concrete. Not sure why they didn't just say this update last week, or delay this update until they have something concrete, or just make today's update seem like it has anything to it.

edit: co_martsu did reply with a reason why this update can't have an actual update to it:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/co-word-of-the-week-15.1628858/post-29451912 posted:

The publisher will handle all announcements and therefore there will be no timelines in the communication from us devs. The only thing we can say is that we're working on both the modding support and the Ultimate Edition content. I can assure you that we have not abandoned the game and will keep working on it. So we all need a bit more patience.
:psyduck:

They've also added a new release version to Steam (https://steamdb.info/app/949230/depots/), and added modding and asset creation pages to the wiki (https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/1bc3y39/co_word_of_the_week_15/kudhmuo/), including referencing a new unpublished version number of the game. So I guess they're close to something but can't quite pull that trigger on it yet.

And paying the SimCity tax to the thread:

emdash posted:

Going to try some sc4 with NAM/CAM/sc4fix/sc4launcher, what other crucial mods are out there?

These two threads on Simtropolis have some coverage of other important ones, mainly smaller bug fixes outside of sc4fix/sc4launcher:

piratepilates posted:

May want to give these two threads a try:

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/75599-indiana-joe-and-the-quest-for-the-ultimate-plugins-folder/

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/762126-the-ultimate-guide-to-simcity-4-mods-for-new-players/

Good overviews of all the different fixes and basic mods out there, in case any of the modpacks from here are missing newer stuff.

If you have troubles running the game properly and you think it's graphics card related, there's also DirectX wrappers like dgVoodoo2 that should make the game more runnable on modern hardware: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/760434-pc-too-powerful-to-run-sc4/?tab=comments#comment-1749453

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 11, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piratepilates posted:

Today's Word of the Week is out, after last week's cancellation due to an exciting new update for today's.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-15.1628858/

The update?: Modding support is currently being developed, I guess it's in closed beta now? I don't think they say that but it's implied?

yeah, mod tool EA started last week, or at least one wave of the invites.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

but why didn't they just release it early access. that's essentially what it is, without all the media fiasco

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sumerian Telecom posted:

but why didn't they just release it early access. that's essentially what it is, without all the media fiasco

The impression I got from the email was that they wanted a smaller group of people with a lot of experience with the map editor who they could work fairly closely with. Closed alpha is probably a more accurate term than EA.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Beach Properties, Map Editor, Code Mod Tools, and Paradox Mods coming March 25th, 2024.

quote:

Along with Beach Properties, there will also be a substantial amount of Performance updates and General Fixes & Improvements. We hope to see much improvement to performance, especially on lower-end spec computers. The full Patch Notes will be posted along with the release of Beach Properties on the 25th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8yqREJye0

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well, that's sooner than I thought mods would show up from the nebulous 2024 date

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Seems kind of odd they didn't show the DLC off in a city or anything, just static shots from Blender or whatever. Well, let's see how it goes, not expecting a lot on Paradox Mods being released over just using the Thunderstore now, but hey maybe they have some of the talented modders from C:S1 that did sign an NDA ready to drop some good mods on day 1.

edit: The video is kinda funny since it says 30 NA buildings and 30 European buildings, but the written announcement says

quote:

- 10 North American residential buildings with three levels (30 assets)
- 10 European residential buildings with three levels (30 assets)

So it's actually 10 new buildings each, but they have 3 levels, so it's like 10+10 assets with 3 variations each.

Also 4 palm trees! (may include young, adult, old, dying, of the same one)

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 18, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's good news. I'm still not interested until we can get assets, but maybe that won't be so far off.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Trailer didn't include much media, but the steam page has some more pictures of it in action:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2427740/Cities_Skylines_II__Beach_Properties/

The price isn't included, very curious to see what they set it as......the game itself desperately needs more assets, has to be a very fine line to walk to make it not seem exorbitant.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

piratepilates posted:

Seems kind of odd they didn't show the DLC off in a city or anything, just static shots from Blender or whatever.

they put screenshots on the steam page

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2427740/Cities_Skylines_II__Beach_Properties/

nice grassy beach. this is really just so weird? i really thought they'd include something in the map editor to allow beaches and themes. i guess we'll see on wednesday.

a nitpick from me, but why aren't the tiles consistent sizes for the main roof and the veranda roof. this is not as bad as the cs1 days where you'd get bricks the size of benches so some progress has been made but it just comes off as sloppy to me

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Most of the buildings in the game are weird if you start examining them in detail. Zoom around and check out the fire escapes sometime, there's real crazy poo poo going on there.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

this game? shocker.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Metrication posted:

a nitpick from me, but why aren't the tiles consistent sizes for the main roof and the veranda roof. this is not as bad as the cs1 days where you'd get bricks the size of benches so some progress has been made but it just comes off as sloppy to me

the veranda is scaled to get the edges to match so that's probably what they were focused on. probably could have sliced off a row and column to get a batter match tho

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Grand Fromage posted:

Most of the buildings in the game are weird if you start examining them in detail. Zoom around and check out the fire escapes sometime, there's real crazy poo poo going on there.

lol yes i've restrained myself from posting about it but the north american buildings in particular are quite bonkers in many ways. some of them are... architecturally impossible let's put it that way. in terms of art direction they are consistent which again is a step up from cs1. but some of the look like toy buildings or like an ai has generated them if you look closely (upside down cornices, massive buildings where windows are missing so they'd get zero daylight, arches cut out of straight brick courses etc)

simcity 2013 was a failure in many ways but i still think it looks great. and maxis always seemed to base their RCI buildings off real life ones so they looked normal.

piratepilates posted:

this game? shocker.
well yes lol. in the asset creation guidelines tbf they've given decent guidance for consistency (elements 5cm and above should be modelled) in terms of meshes. but i think they could have given clear texel density guidelines, would have prevented stuff like this.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 18, 2024

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Metrication posted:

lol yes i've restrained myself from posting about it but the north american buildings in particular are quite bonkers in many ways. some of them are... architecturally impossible let's put it that way. in terms of art direction they are consistent which again is a step up from cs1. but some of the look like toy buildings or like an ai has generated them if you look closely (upside down cornices, massive buildings where windows are missing so they'd get zero daylight, arches cut out of straight brick courses etc)

simcity 2013 was a failure in many ways but i still think it looks great. and maxis always seemed to base their RCI buildings off real life ones so they looked normal.

well yes lol. in the asset creation guidelines tbf they've given decent guidance for consistency (elements 5cm and above should be modelled) in terms of meshes. but i think they could have given clear texel density guidelines, would have prevented stuff like this.

I know I've beaten the drum before but SimCity 4 really is hard to beat with the assets they made for that game: https://simcity4buildings.net

Four distinct region styles, each one feeling like strong examples of those regions and styles, each containing a huge amount of different residential, commercial, and industrial buildings, across different wealth and densities (tracked separately, which C:S1/2 doesn't).

Best part is they actually add some wear and tear to the assets, things look realistic and lived in.

I have no idea what CO's process for assets is but it's bizarrely sloppy and slow. C:S2 already ships with little asset variety, but the assets themselves have all these weird artifacts to them, and they're all too pristine, and for all the towers, they don't fit together nicely unless you place everything incredibly carefully.

On top of that, it's been like what, 5 months? since release, and this DLC is now coming out with 20 new buildings and some signature buildings on top of that. I guess that number's fine for an asset pack DLC, but the base game itself still desperately needs more, especially more that aren't just residential single family houses.

Then you have the outsourced AI citizens, the cars, the maps themselves all being weird and hilly and not very good, and the custom maps from the community being way better almost as soon as people found the way to make unofficial maps -- their art/assets department is just so odd, this game has been in development for like 6 years? and as soon as the asset editors come out, they're going to be outmatched immediately by their community doing free labour, it's bizarre.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

piratepilates posted:

I know I've beaten the drum before but SimCity 4 really is hard to beat with the assets they made for that game: https://simcity4buildings.net

Four distinct region styles, each one feeling like strong examples of those regions and styles, each containing a huge amount of different residential, commercial, and industrial buildings, across different wealth and densities (tracked separately, which C:S1/2 doesn't).

Best part is they actually add some wear and tear to the assets, things look realistic and lived in.

I have no idea what CO's process for assets is but it's bizarrely sloppy and slow. C:S2 already ships with little asset variety, but the assets themselves have all these weird artifacts to them, and they're all too pristine, and for all the towers, they don't fit together nicely unless you place everything incredibly carefully.

On top of that, it's been like what, 5 months? since release, and this DLC is now coming out with 20 new buildings and some signature buildings on top of that. I guess that number's fine for an asset pack DLC, but the base game itself still desperately needs more, especially more that aren't just residential single family houses.

Then you have the outsourced AI citizens, the cars, the maps themselves all being weird and hilly and not very good, and the custom maps from the community being way better almost as soon as people found the way to make unofficial maps -- their art/assets department is just so odd, this game has been in development for like 6 years? and as soon as the asset editors come out, they're going to be outmatched immediately by their community doing free labour, it's bizarre.

yeah the sc4 assets are still amazing. i would speculate co at least partially outsource their asset creation. i'm almost certain they buy in props. hence why some of them (and not others) were discovered to be so insanely unoptimised. there was a fully modelled interior with computers and furniture, modelled down to the computer cables for one of the security hut props iirc. the maps are just dreadful tbh and this is unchanged from cs1. i don't think they use real references at all, be it buildings or maps (apart from the real san francisco and helsinki), so you just end up with weird fantasy crap imo.

this dlc was supposed to be a small pack between the main game and the ports expansion (rip) but obviously due to the timetable they've now had to blow it up as delivering a big performance patch and modding. so its going to be insanely overanalysed and questioned due to that. the lack of beaches is still just utterly bizarre.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm basically just wanting CO to fix the technical issues and get full modding working. The official assets for CS1 mostly sucked and I don't expect anything from that in CS2 either. Let me run 100% community assets again and I'm fine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
One thing I did like about the paid asset packs in C:S was that they never became outdated with a patch and they always seemed stylistically consistent. Not saying that a good mod author can’t also do those same things, but just knowing things fit together was nice.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is the new modding system in CS2 supposed to be more resilient to patches or is everything going to break constantly again?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

buglord posted:

One thing I did like about the paid asset packs in C:S was that they never became outdated with a patch and they always seemed stylistically consistent. Not saying that a good mod author can’t also do those same things, but just knowing things fit together was nice.

Yeah those were neat. I didn't mind kicking a few bucks to the modders making good poo poo.

Tarnop posted:

Is the new modding system in CS2 supposed to be more resilient to patches or is everything going to break constantly again?

I would guess it'll be the same as CS1, mods to the code will break but assets won't.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Tarnop posted:

What does your heart tell you. They can hardly get mods implemented at all, I’m not holding out hope that their structure will, e robust enough to allow mods to survive patches.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Code mods fall into two categories:
Those that use designed and supported interfaces and those that don't.
The former will survive new versions. The latter will not. The latter are also vastly more common because unsurprisingly the creativity of dozens to hundreds of modders vastly outstrips the creativity of a handful of developers. Also making those interfaces takes a surprising amount of design and programming resources, especially if you don't want to hamstring yourself in the future.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So for some pleasant news for once, there's some info on the modding discords about the PDXMods public beta and what mods will be available on day one:

quote:

Paradox Mods
New dev-diary about the distribution platform is out and can be read here.

Keynotes:
- PDXM can be accessed in-game main menu, similar to Steam WS.
- A new feature 'playset' is the center of the modding experience. Playsets allow you to create a set of mods (and assets in future) to customize your playthrough. Playsets carry across whichever device you're playing the game.
- Discussions about mods can be made through in-game interface, or on PDXforums, Discord, Youtube or Github. Mod authors can link their communities on mods' pages to direct their users.
- Mod authors can specify compatible game version, description, screenshots, dependencies, notes, etc. via the upload interface.

Available mods on PDXM for launch cycle
Modders of CSII Beta and Early Access were already busy with updating and uploading their mods for PDXM release on 25th March. There are various mods on the website at the moment, notably:

- Skyve from TDW
- Move It from Quboid
- Anarchy, Better Bulldozer, Water Features from yenyang. Tree Controller may be available for launch, WIP.
- Abandoned Building Remover, School Capacity Balancer, Magical Hearse, Magical Garbage Truck from Wayz
- Unified UIL, Historical Start, Image Overly, 529 Tiles from algernon
- Adressed and Names, Extended Transport Manager, Extra UI Screens from Klyte
and more, including maps

And then more news about Skyve:

quote:

SKYVE - Mod Manager for Cities: Skylines II
You are familiar with Skyve from Cities: Skylines 1. @T. D. W. was working to expand Skyve's original capabilities for Cities: Skylines II and now that PDXMods is getting ready to launch next week, he can show some previews and features to expect from the mod manager of Cities Skylines modding community on launch day. Skyve II will allow you to:

- Browse and discover all PDXM content directly through Skyve
- Subscribe and download mods directly from Skyve user interface
- Manage your PDXM playsets and use extra options native to Skyve
- Brand new mod page with all the information directly from PDXMods
- Improved mod compatibility checker system
- and many more..

Skyve is also redesigned and will be shipped with a polished interface, including the updated dark mode.

So seems like for the most part, PDXMods is going to launch with some of the top mods ready to go, including Skyve. Some of the other gameplay-touching ones will probably take a few days to be updated to work with the new patch, but day one there should be content for the game post-patch.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
What are the chances the PDX Mod thing just flops and people just keep using thunderstore?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

eh, one could meme about it but I doubt PDXMods is going to be superseded by the Thunderstore.

Most of the good modders are already part of the PDXMods beta, and already have their mods up there. Every post on reddit about a thunderstore mod gets a big automatically posted disclaimer under it, and they're only allowed in the first place because the reddit mods made an allowance for it since no official mods support existed. The official discord deletes your message if you post a link to an alternative store (including the Thunderstore), you're only allowed to post links to github repos.

The thunderstore doesn't really offer anything over PDXMods (I mean I haven't used PDXMods, but from what I've seen), and mods on Thunderstore require using the bepinex library and don't get the same modding goodies that are apparently supported by PDXMods and official modding support.

I think PDXMods could turn out well over the Steam Workshop for this game, if Paradox/CO puts even a little bit of effort in to making it a nice experience. The Steam Workshop has done us well, but I've had enough of the weird collections, and then mod authors disabling the "subscribe to all" button on their collections, and the weird UI if you need to change a lot of mods at once, and the useless search, etc. Works well enough, but has very annoying parts to it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

from CPP's stream the PDX mods thing doesn't look all that different from thunderstore and is probably less likely to start mining crypto on my computer.

it'll be nice to have it integrated, especially if I keep playing it via gamepass

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unless PDX Mods straight up doesn't work I am pretty sure everyone will go over to the official method.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

from CPP's stream the PDX mods thing doesn't look all that different from thunderstore and is probably less likely to start mining crypto on my computer.

it'll be nice to have it integrated, especially if I keep playing it via gamepass

While it does seem actually fine, I also get these vibes from the Thunderstore.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Thunderstore was a stopgap, and if the main community modders are supporting the official one then everything will move over

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Do Paradox/CO have to approve mods for listing on PDXMods?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

modding development diary #2: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/modding-development-diary-2-map-editor.1626922/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Woke up to the third consecutive dev diary, #3, about code modding: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/modding-development-diary-3-code-modding.1626926/

Written by someone who is interesting to read, too. What a world we live in.

Tarnop posted:

Hey what do you know! They go over this a bit in dev diary 3:

quote:

If you have modded Cities: Skylines, you know how game updates can affect mod functionalities, and that is something we want to try and improve upon in Cities: Skylines II. While it isn’t possible to completely prevent mods from having issues as the game code they modify could be changed, we are trying to make it less likely that mods break when the game is updated.
In Cities: Skylines II this should be much less of a problem when mods introduce their features the same way the game does. To make a completely new feature you don't have to find different places in the game code and modify all of them to include your mod functionality and worry about the fact that one of those places of the base game will be changed in one of the future game updates. The only thing you need to do is create your own system and register it in the updating loop. From that moment on the game will treat it the same way it treats any base game system. Another example is the game settings. We made a simple but flexible automatic system that takes properties you mark by special attributes from your mod and fills them to game settings. Again, you can register your settings by calling one method and don’t need to worry about how to build a settings page for your mod.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sounds like they were as thorough as possible with mod support. It should work fine for most gameplay mods that can just overwrite gameplay parameters after the base game's done with them.

Stuff like FPS Optimizer or the Loading Screen Mod would still break 'cause I can't think of a way those would be implemented without touching base game code.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kyte posted:

Stuff like FPS Optimizer or the Loading Screen Mod would still break 'cause I can't think of a way those would be implemented without touching base game code.

Good thing about stuff like those is, it's often things where you can do without 'em for a bit after an update.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

piratepilates posted:

Woke up to the third consecutive dev diary, #3, about code modding: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/modding-development-diary-3-code-modding.1626926/

Written by someone who is interesting to read, too. What a world we live in.

Hey what do you know! They go over this a bit in dev diary 3:

Oh cool, thanks for pointing that out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's cool that they actually worked on making mods not break. I guess hiring a bunch of modders brought things like that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm getting slightly excited to play this again once the modding stuff is out.