Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That said, it does establish that the Pakleds managed to pull the scam off on a bunch of other people and probably will again, so I sure hope the Federation makes sure to keep an eye on them!

Taear posted:

Also man - to me Starbases are space stations but early TNG every single one (Farpoint included) is just a big building on a planet

In original TOS all the Starbases we saw were planetside, although in TOS remastered they added a 'Starbase 6' label to the station from The Ultimate Computer. That and K7 were just referred to in dialogue as Space Stations, not Starbases.

Starbase is just meant to mean a facility that supports starships while they're out on missions. (So Earth Spacedock isn't a starbase, for example, because it's a homebase.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Taear posted:

I love the episode but it's absolutely packed with weird poo poo. Wesley saying "Is this before the Klingons joined the Federation",

What I think's weirdest about that line is that it's not even relevant to the conversation. It's literally just "Hey, so about ten years ago I got into a barfight in Texas-" "Was that before Russia annexed Crimea?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watched DS9's His Way last night after putting it off for a while. I know a lot of people appreciate Vic but god, does it feel like the show grinds to a halt because someone wants you to like his OC, Vic Fontaine, and isn't the Rat Pack cool?

Though enough I really like the scene where Odo starts murmuring a song in Sisko's office and Sisko starts getting into it. I almost wish Odo had gone to Sisko for piano and singing lessons to woo Kira in the first place.

I don't know about Kira here either. She's really passive in this episode until the kiss on the Promenade, which is kind of sweet, but I think maybe it would've been truer for her character to get sick of waiting and take the initiative with Odo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taear posted:

Wesley saying "Is this before the Klingons joined the Federation",

Fun fan theory is that all these inconsistencies we see pop up in s1-s2 are because the timeline did change when the Ent-C went back through and Yar survived in the past.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Watched DS9's His Way last night after putting it off for a while. I know a lot of people appreciate Vic but god, does it feel like the show grinds to a halt because someone wants you to like his OC, Vic Fontaine, and isn't the Rat Pack cool?

Though enough I really like the scene where Odo starts murmuring a song in Sisko's office and Sisko starts getting into it. I almost wish Odo had gone to Sisko for piano and singing lessons to woo Kira in the first place.

I don't know about Kira here either. She's really passive in this episode until the kiss on the Promenade, which is kind of sweet, but I think maybe it would've been truer for her character to get sick of waiting and take the initiative with Odo.

I like Vic Fontaine but the Kira-Odo relationship is The Worst

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vic was outstanding and I will hear no different. :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

zoux posted:

Fun fan theory is that all these inconsistencies we see pop up in s1-s2 are because the timeline did change when the Ent-C went back through and Yar survived in the past.

haha I like that

MikeJF posted:

In original TOS all the Starbases we saw were planetside, although in TOS remastered they added a 'Starbase 6' label to the station from The Ultimate Computer. That and K7 were just referred to in dialogue as Space Stations, not Starbases.

Starbase is just meant to mean a facility that supports starships while they're out on missions. (So Earth Spacedock isn't a starbase, for example, because it's a homebase.)

Does this change later? Like in DS9 every time they talk about a starbase and we see it, it's in space.

It's funny too that they talk about the Jarada in that episode who are NEVER mentioned outside The Big Goodbye and that one episode.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Laterite posted:

I like Vic Fontaine but the Kira-Odo relationship is The Worst

Big this. It took a long time to come around to Vic because the whole rat pack lounge thing often gives me the willies but he is actually good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Vic's less bad when you're not watching week to week but I absolutely 100% do not care about gangster las vegas and he can get lost as far as I'm concerned.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Vic is worth being around for the payoff episodes It's Only a Paper Moon and Badda-Bing Badda-Bang, which are coincidentally on the opposite spectrum of serious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zedd posted:

Vic is worth being around for the payoff episodes It's Only a Paper Moon and Badda-Bing Badda-Bang, which are coincidentally on the opposite spectrum of serious.

Only a paper moon is a good episode but I am never ever gonna enjoy the theme
And I feel like that's the case with a lot of vic haters

The idea of "you entirely immerse yourself in this game to not face up to life" is great but ugh las vegas

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MikeJF posted:

Putting a starbase on a planet seems kind of like putting a naval station in the middle of the desert.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Fallon

Very useful?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"but it's at the bottom of a gravity well" yeah okay whatever nerd, nobody gives a poo poo when they got support craft that can trivially make orbit, and oh yeah, transporters

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That was one of the things I actually liked about the Enterprise being built on Earth in ST09. They can arbitrarily lift that thing to orbit. Even with all their super technology, keeping your workforce alive in a natural atmosphere is literally free and completely failsafe. It isn't like you build submarines underwater, even though you can if you wanted to for some reason.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Onto "Cold Front" and Silik is such a lovely villain. Nothing he does makes sense, not even to him. He just admitted it to Archer. And we'll never truly find out! What an awful mystery box.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"We're all involved in a time travel plot together, but we can't tell you who or why or how because time traveling rules tell us not to. Enjoy this for the next 3 seasons."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FISHMANPET posted:

Onto "Cold Front" and Silik is such a lovely villain. Nothing he does makes sense, not even to him. He just admitted it to Archer. And we'll never truly find out! What an awful mystery box.
Nobody knew what was going on, not even the showrunners. "Who is Future Guy?" "Ehh, dunno." :shrug:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, the temporal war stuff was an awkwardly shoehorned mandate by the suits to keep potential TNG/VOY/DS9 crossover episode a possibility.

They literally had no idea who the mystery guy in wide shoulder toppings was.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, the temporal war stuff was an awkwardly shoehorned mandate by the suits to keep potential TNG/VOY/DS9 crossover episode a possibility.

Didn't one of the showrunners want it to be future Archer or something dumb like that?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Technowolf posted:

Didn't one of the showrunners want it to be future Archer or something dumb like that?

Which is such a nonsensical asspull. It would have been so much less offensive to just shrug and say :iiam:, but…Berman.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Technowolf posted:

Maybe it was like Lost and they had three different people filmed, each more nonsensical the the previous.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

Benny Russell's lawyer that took over because Benny was too strung out to write anything other than memos about waves and waves of cum

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Waves and waves of jambalaya

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

CPColin posted:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

:lol:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CPColin posted:

Thread title please

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CPColin posted:

Don’t threaten me with a good time.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

CPColin posted:

I think it's still too soon for jokes about Katrina

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Soul Dentist posted:

I think it's still too soon for jokes about Katrina

:yikes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CPColin posted:

jam ba LA ya

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The general term in commonwealth countries for a landlocked naval base is "stone frigate", dunno about the USN. Where I live, we have one called HMCS Tecumseh.

E: watching X-Files last night and we got to the one about the evil dog that kills people. There's one dude with blue eyes whose diction sounds really familiar but I can't quite recognize him until something clicks and I go "HOLY poo poo IT'S GARAK"

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 22, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nessus posted:

jam ba LA ya

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Technowolf posted:

That was one possibility. I believe another has said that they also thought about him being a Future Romulan of some sort. From what I understand though, they never settled on one theory.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Yeah, that was the given explanation but then again that also never happened. But Berman & Braga did finally end up getting the TNG crossover episode. Unfortunately it was the series ender that shat on the work of otherwise very good season of Star Trek, and on all the work the new showrunner had done on a shoestring budget with a series that was cancelled before they even filmed most of the last season.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Pap-ri-kash!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

At the time I assumed the Romulan War was going to be the big event of Enterprise and Future Guy was a Romulan trying to interfere and make them win this time instead of the stalemate.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The best part about Enterprise is that it's only 4 seasons and then it ends and you never have to watch it a second time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

At the time I assumed the Romulan War was going to be the big event of Enterprise and Future Guy was a Romulan trying to interfere and make them win this time instead of the stalemate.

That was my theory too. He had kind of a Romulan vibe to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have now tried to watch Enterprise three times and in every case but one I noped out before the pilot was even over.

The other time I noped out halfway through the following episode.

The only thing I remember was hating the Dubya vibes permeating the whole thing and a rad part in the middle of every ship where there's no gravity.