Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Speaking of dismantling tech, it's not a relic yet, but Samsung will be discontinuing support for the Gear S3 Frontier with newer phones. Didn't stop me from replacing the battery though.

That goddamn alignment pin! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
if you mean the one that the ribbon cable was definitely not aligned to, then agreed.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Also, paying the cassette tax:

what up

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Speaking of dismantling tech, it's not a relic yet, but Samsung will be discontinuing support for the Gear S3 Frontier with newer phones. Didn't stop me from replacing the battery though.

Looks like a real piece of poo poo, OP

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

if you mean the one that the ribbon cable was definitely not aligned to, then agreed.

I do! Aside from that, swapping the battery is pretty simple.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I do! Aside from that, swapping the battery is pretty simple.

Yeah, it ain't bad. I think my watch is cooked though, even with the new battery I can't get consistent (or any, really) charging on multiple different chargers, and when I did get it to "100%" it lasted for 2 hours, then out again. I've had it since 2016, so I just ordered a used one that hopefully will be in better shape. This turd has never worked right, even since the first day.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Technically yours is cooler; mine isn't a Walkman but is actually a General Electric Stereo Escape; GE attempted to reverse engineer the Walkman. Honestly, it's a really good player.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Yeah, it ain't bad. I think my watch is cooked though, even with the new battery I can't get consistent (or any, really) charging on multiple different chargers, and when I did get it to "100%" it lasted for 2 hours, then out again. I've had it since 2016, so I just ordered a used one that hopefully will be in better shape. This turd has never worked right, even since the first day.

Feels like maybe you should try a different watch?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Nah. The Gear S3 is the last one that still reads on magnetic stripes. Gonna ride that until I can't, it's useful in the South.

Anyhow, I don't make much use of wearables. I usually use my other, actual tech relic, my manual wind Jump Hour watch, but I've temporarily misplaced it and it isn't waterproof.

Vile_Nihlist666 has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Mar 23, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

What's up with the current cassette revival? They sound like poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It’s kvlt that way.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Nostalgia (and nerds)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

records got too expensive and too hard to get. Tapes are cheap (for now)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

HKR posted:

records got too expensive and too hard to get. Tapes are cheap (for now)

this plus extreme hipsterism

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I like my S3 Frontier because it has that nice controller wheel/ring/crown/whatever on it. The thing is very easy to use. I am going to get one of the Samsung 4s eventually.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

taqueso posted:

this plus extreme hipsterism

You didn't have to out me like that...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

they're fun

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A huge amount of inventory is flooding the market as the pervious owners move 6 feet down :skeltal:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tapes are kind of neat if you have one of the cool looking players. When I was a kid I had a lovely plastic one so I don't really have any nostalgia for them. But I listened the hell out of my Toy Story sound track tape while looking wistfully out the window on long road trips.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah I've gotten some great deals on tube guitar amps lately as boomers kick the bucket

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Went for a ride in an old truck. The cassette slot was being used to store business cards.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That's most people's preconception because they either never cleaned the heads or they got the bargain basement tape decks/players (which weren't even that cheap in the day).
The Sony WM-D6 shown in this thread has only very slight tape/source difference, and even the last Sony walkman (from like 2008 or 2010 or so, cheap and lovely) there was, didn't sound bad at all. I still have that thing but i dropped while cycling and now one channel is dead - and it's all clipped together plastic construction, very hard to open and repair. Sony did produce a full fledged service documentation for it with replacement parts lists and schematics and such, but it's useless when each side has 4 or 5 clips you somehow have to wedge open at the same time.

If it's muffled and has a lot of wow and flutter, it's simply broken. Some mechanisms are hard to get running nicely - i've had the absolute cheapest nastyest dual decks with both mechanisms driven by a single motor. I could get either deck flutter free but never managed both sounding good at the same time. That's representative for the cheapest, worst decks but not for cassette in general.

Car tape decks suffered a lot from all the vibration, which lead to heads going out of alignment. And of course no one bothered cleaning the heads in car players...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I feel this way about vhs.

I guess tapes are like simple and small and good enough ish? even the players. video tapes tho, I dunno man. at least laserdisc has cool big art and extra features and poo poo.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

VHS is popular *because* they're so poo poo.
The only good VHS tapes are home recorded SVHS tapes, those are close to Laserdisc. Anything prerecorded on SVHS is incredibly rare.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aesthetic valorization of technology goes hand-in-hand with retrowave and general nostalgia - and given the lovely world we live in, it's little wonder.

Besides, Betamax was the superior format.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Mar 23, 2024

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I only own one tape, but I need five more to fill this thing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I seem to remember car cd changers being installed under the front passenger’s or drivers seat but can find no photos on google. Is my memory faulty?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I seem to remember car cd changers being installed under the front passenger’s or drivers seat but can find no photos on google. Is my memory faulty?

No, you're not incorrect. I remember being in cars like that. It was better than the ones in the fuckin trunk, that felt completely incomprehensible to me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Tapes are kind of neat if you have one of the cool looking players. When I was a kid I had a lovely plastic one so I don't really have any nostalgia for them. But I listened the hell out of my Toy Story sound track tape while looking wistfully out the window on long road trips.

I got a portable tape player shaped like R2D2 in a 5th grade Secret Santa and basically it was good enough to listen to while mowing the lawn but I never bothered otherwise.

It was so large and kinda heavy that it dragged down my pants, and a couple years later I bought a little FM radio the size of a 50 cent piece from a stall at the county fair. It ran on a single coin cell, had lovely hard-wired earbuds, and had two buttons: one to scan forward to the next station, and one to drop you back at 88.0MHz. Obsolete, sure, but by god I could listen to Science Friday while sweating my rear end off mowing through the summer.

My pickup still has a tape deck and I've got a glove box full of Stan Rogers, Marty Robbins, and Hawaiian music. IMO tapes are better than CDs in a car because they're easier to deal with one-handed while keeping your eyes on the road, and if you drop a CD it's basically guaranteed to land label-side up and scratch around on the gritty floorboards -- which is why only the richest or stupidest kids kept the originals in those dumb sun visor CD keepers, instead of burning copies for the road.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What will hipsters be saying in 20 years when it’s CDs turn to be the best format again

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

History Comes Inside! posted:

What will hipsters be saying in 20 years when it’s CDs turn to be the best format again

C Deez nuts

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope 3D printers get good enough that you can put music on newly created phonograph cylinders

Nine Inch Nails? No, Nine Inch Tubes!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got a portable tape player shaped like R2D2 in a 5th grade Secret Santa and basically it was good enough to listen to while mowing the lawn but I never bothered otherwise.

It was so large and kinda heavy that it dragged down my pants, and a couple years later I bought a little FM radio the size of a 50 cent piece from a stall at the county fair. It ran on a single coin cell, had lovely hard-wired earbuds, and had two buttons: one to scan forward to the next station, and one to drop you back at 88.0MHz. Obsolete, sure, but by god I could listen to Science Friday while sweating my rear end off mowing through the summer.

My pickup still has a tape deck and I've got a glove box full of Stan Rogers, Marty Robbins, and Hawaiian music. IMO tapes are better than CDs in a car because they're easier to deal with one-handed while keeping your eyes on the road, and if you drop a CD it's basically guaranteed to land label-side up and scratch around on the gritty floorboards -- which is why only the richest or stupidest kids kept the originals in those dumb sun visor CD keepers, instead of burning copies for the road.

Reading this as though illustrated by your avatar is a trip

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I wonder if there is going to be nostalgia for early warbly free mp3 encoders. I want to say no, but I honestly can't tell.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That .mp3 sizzle.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My dad still recompresses audio books for the car with BladeEnc out of habit, despite having a 512 GB MicroSD card in his cig lighter adapter thing instead of needing to cram as much as possible onto a 32 MB MP3 player.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Flipperwaldt posted:

I wonder if there is going to be nostalgia for early warbly free mp3 encoders. I want to say no, but I honestly can't tell.

already happening

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

:discourse: Perfecto

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Real sicko stuff. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Honestly, Winamp's mp3 encoder from version 2.69 sounded way better and is more authentic. But for true bubblyness you gotta go for Windows Media Player 7 and encode in 128kbps WMA

/s