Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol I wouldn't know this game had the Capcom standard smattering of DLC unless I saw everybody talking about it. It's the complete opposite of aggressive and in your face, it's the kind of DLC that is perfect because only idiots buy it and it doesn't affect my game whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I see a few Thieves but I can never find an Archer.

Well you know I've got an Archer you can use ;)

BX50ZNROXAQK

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm assuming people either saw the prerelease stuff or got told by a youtuber that the game kinda expects you to be lugging someone with anodyne around 24/7, so people are generally either making mage pawns for that or fighter pawns to carry camping gear and a million herbs and rocks

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

my current crew is I'm a thief, my main pawn is an archer, and I hired a mage and warrior.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

explosivo posted:

Lol I wouldn't know this game had the Capcom standard smattering of DLC unless I saw everybody talking about it. It's the complete opposite of aggressive and in your face, it's the kind of DLC that is perfect because only idiots buy it and it doesn't affect my game whatsoever.

Also only idiots get mad at it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

explosivo posted:

it feels like manufactured outrage and it makes me trust steam reviews even less than I currently do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

Reminds me of when a certain popular annoying YouTube figure that I used to watch at one point, did a whole video complaining about similar level of Devil May Cry 5 DLC, as if it was the devil itself, at which point I realized that they were just stirring poo poo up for views.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

Nice. Might hire her later, the RC cost is kind of steep right now considering you're not on my friends list.

It seems like Thieves are the bottleneck so far, at times I enter the Rift and there's not a single Thief among the available pawns.

I somehow rolled a Kratos and 2B on my first rift.

there seems to be an item similar to chained daggers in the main city

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 22, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like I have no problem with people going "MTX is dumb, lol", it's the weird false outrage that is insane.

Like honestly this stuff is just poo poo that comes bundled into NEWGAME: DELUXE DIGITAL EDITION ($10 extra) at launch for every loving game on the market. It's dumb, I wouldn't pay money for it, but people are literally making poo poo up and refunding the game over it and pretending like it's some new low in gaming.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Not everything is some conspiracy, people were looking forward to the game and it came out with terrible performance issues.

It’s not 2012 anymore or whenever Dragons Dogma 1 came out, launching with this bad of performance will tank your reviews and the MTX was the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that is the performance.

I said previously Jedi survivor had similiar issues without microtransactions and is sitting at 66% on steam after a year of patches.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Like I have no problem with people going "MTX is dumb, lol", it's the weird false outrage that is insane.

Like honestly this stuff is just poo poo that comes bundled into NEWGAME: DELUXE DIGITAL EDITION ($10 extra) at launch for every loving game on the market. It's dumb, I wouldn't pay money for it, but people are literally making poo poo up and refunding the game over it and pretending like it's some new low in gaming.

or they are review bombing and continuing to play anyway!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
The current lack of "new game" makes me curious about New Game+ and how wacky that'll be for DD2. NG+ in the first game was a trip

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goblins surprise me with how big jerks they can be. One throws tar, the other throws torches. They can pick up and throw those bigger chunks of stone and even explosive barrels. They even push giant boulders at you

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Khanstant posted:

When is 4k not rough on PC? That's next Gen stuff.

I mean, with my PC I can lock even Cyberpunk 2077 at like 80 or 90 fps @ 4k and it won't really dip below often if ever. If something like this is dipping below 60 even at 1440p, that seems like an indicator of major issues that I would probably want resolved before grabbing it.

Glad to hear the microtransaction outrage is completely overblown, though. Seems like gamers this year especially have a way of banding together and parroting stupid poo poo for days or weeks that they heard from someone acting in bad faith without actually investigating themselves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
gently caress that trek to the capital on foot was brutal. Consider taking up Gregor on his offer to take the ox cart there. Hell of an adventure though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Propaganda Hour posted:

The current lack of "new game" makes me curious about New Game+ and how wacky that'll be for DD2. NG+ in the first game was a trip
NG+ in the first game was exactly the same, wasn't it? Not even any enemy scaling or anything, just a complete redo with all your equipment in place? I never really bothered with it for that reason.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

I just travel with a squad of three mages so they can burn anything and everything to death roughly three seconds after it moves

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

gently caress that trek to the capital on foot was brutal. Consider taking up Gregor on his offer to take the ox cart there. Hell of an adventure though.

Dragon's Dogma is made for long treks and walking between cities being a hellzone. I will never ride the cart!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I found some arrows and my pawn said "Those would be nice if any of us used a bow." Then another pawn replied "Maybe we can use them as skewers for meat". Game rules

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So many little things about Dragons Dogma 2, and the the way the Pawn AI works in this, that is really impressive and awesome to witness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shard posted:

Dragon's Dogma is made for long treks and walking between cities being a hellzone. I will never ride the cart!

You'll be denied the pleasure of dozing off in a cart only to be awoken in the middle of the night by a Cyclops using one of the oxen to smash the cart to pieces.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You'll be denied the pleasure of dozing off in a cart only to be awoken in the middle of the night by a Cyclops using one of the oxen to smash the cart to pieces.

....gently caress you are making a compelling case.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Do the pawns chatter a whole bunch while you're on the cart? If not I will never cart

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

So many little things about Dragons Dogma 2, and the the way the Pawn AI works in this, that is really impressive and awesome to witness.

Yeah you can really see the AI improvements when you tell your team to "Go!" while looking at a pack of enemies. Everyone springs into action and starts doing their thing immediately and it's awesome to just sorta look around and see your party loving everything up.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Game owns. Combat's fun, classes are distinct, and there's surprises all around.

The flood of downvoting on Steam is the behavior of children. Everything you can buy as DLC is obtained through normal gameplay. No poopsocking required. Most effective way to let Capcom know the DLC is unwelcome is to... not buy the DLC.

Framerate in cities is lower than I'd like. IMO that's an acceptable tradeoff considering combat happens in the wilds and the framerate there is great.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Also I threw a goblin off a cliff and all of the pawns I hired reacted like I just invented the atomic bomb, so if your pawns start throwing dudes off cliffs, you're welcome.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what are the weight cutoffs for changes in pawn encumbrance and stamina?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Also I threw a goblin off a cliff and all of the pawns I hired reacted like I just invented the atomic bomb, so if your pawns start throwing dudes off cliffs, you're welcome.

I lured a charging monster to the edge of a cliff and then dodged out of the way at the last second and hearing "That was INCREDIBLE, I can't wait to tell my Master about that technique" made me wonder if it actually learned to wait at a cliff's edge or if it was just smoke and mirror. I choose to believe the former.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Goblinheimer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It adds a lot that pawns talk to each other and have some very different lines for being a hired pawn vs your main pawn.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I mean, with my PC I can lock even Cyberpunk 2077 at like 80 or 90 fps @ 4k and it won't really dip below often if ever. If something like this is dipping below 60 even at 1440p, that seems like an indicator of major issues that I would probably want resolved before grabbing it.

Glad to hear the microtransaction outrage is completely overblown, though. Seems like gamers this year especially have a way of banding together and parroting stupid poo poo for days or weeks that they heard from someone acting in bad faith without actually investigating themselves.

I'm just goofin, I chose to build my new machine to target 1440 because 4k seemed like the point where you'll have to have some hassle or hesitation to get it performing up to standard for new games for the foreseeable future. Reckon I'll go 4k in a few years for next PC.

I think the game is running fine on a 3080/5600x rig with 64gb ram but I have lower standards than you and I think you might find launch performance wanting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I asked earlier but think it was overlooked, how are the armor choices looking? The layering was a big part of DD for me, is there more variety to make up for its lack?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I lured a charging monster to the edge of a cliff and then dodged out of the way at the last second and hearing "That was INCREDIBLE, I can't wait to tell my Master about that technique" made me wonder if it actually learned to wait at a cliff's edge or if it was just smoke and mirror. I choose to believe the former.

Wait, is there a way to dodge? I'm not seeing the prompt but maybe that makes sense for my extremely out of shape Fighter

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So in DD1 you could force the game to check back in with servers by staying at inns, is it the same in this? I don't want to spend the 2000 gold to check

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shoehead posted:

So in DD1 you could force the game to check back in with servers by staying at inns, is it the same in this? I don't want to spend the 2000 gold to check

Yes. I think inns are the only way to see if anyone's hired your pawn, camping won't work for that.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, is there a way to dodge? I'm not seeing the prompt but maybe that makes sense for my extremely out of shape Fighter

Fighters block, thieves dodge, idk what archers or mages do. But no there’s no universal dodge roll or anything as far as I know!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

It adds a lot that pawns talk to each other and have some very different lines for being a hired pawn vs your main pawn.

I like that ones with different inclinations will kind of argue with each other. I picked straightforward for my pawn which is probably not a good inclination for gameplay purposes but it's very fun watching her be all like "pfft whatever square" to the pawns that keep talking about being cautious and planning ahead.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I said come in! posted:

https://x.com/obviousrises/status/1770943912078905537?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
After a big fight, I happened to walk next to my pawn and we stopped and high fived. Hell yeah, game rules. It was also extra surreal because my pawn is an old wizardy Gandalf looking dude so basically I just high fived Gandalf.

Game is fun.