Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

As a durge, will (act 2) I still get slayer form if I let shart kill the nightsong? I went back to the inn and saw isobel was dead, wondering if I'll get credit for that haha.

Yeah, he'll have a special line about it but give you credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Zlodo posted:

I'm super happy that for once a studio making a successful game doesn't mean they're only going to make sequels forever

When a studio is good i want them to make new things

haha which is antithesis to the Hasbro purges and poo poo and saying that the new way forward for D&D is video games, AI and other digital emphemera

they probably wanted Baldur's Gate 4 by Q4 2026 or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would be very funny if Larian kept updating the base game with new expansion storylines and content forever so that they didn't have to pay Hasbro for any relicensing. Haha, what a funny joke Swen, better get to it!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

wizard2 posted:

they probably wanted Baldur's Gate 4 by Q4 2026 or something

My read as well.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

While I love the DND lore and all that I think it was only a small part of why I loved BG3, I'd rather see what Larian makes next in a new setting than have them deal with Hasbro if this is how that's going to go. Goddamn Hasbro sucks.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Clarste posted:

Make a Lancer game.

I mean yeah, but that still is an existing IP, and I 100% bet they want their own thing, like Obsidian back then. I would love a Larian Shadowrun, but that's just not gonna happen.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Zlodo posted:

I'm super happy that for once a studio making a successful game doesn't mean they're only going to make sequels forever

When a studio is good i want them to make new things

:yeah:

I'm pretty okay with Larian forging ahead and doing what they want now. Hell, i'd be okay if they went back and made more divinity games.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Reminder that Starbreeze, producers of one of the hottest and wettest of turds of 2023, PAYDAY 3, is also currently making a D&D game codenamed Project Baxter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Better call them Febreeze since that's what you're going to be spraying when that game comes out!!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol, DnD is 100% going to be the next 40K with a million shovelware licensed games as Hasbro leadership thinks BG3's success can be repeated by throwing the license at anyone willing to take it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

ZearothK posted:

lol, DnD is 100% going to be the next 40K with a million shovelware licensed games as Hasbro leadership thinks BG3's success can be repeated by throwing the license at anyone willing to take it.

Back to the 90s we go!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah this is a high watermark that will probably never be matched again for at least a decade, if ever for DnD licensed games.

Sucks to think about the lost potential of using this engine, but it's nice we got what we got

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I did play so many of those crappy games though. Does anyone remember Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah this is a high watermark that will probably never be matched again for at least a decade, if ever for DnD licensed games.

Eventually someone at some point in the future will go "what if we went somewhere other than the sword coast???" and then mysteriously drop a masterpiece because they are able to come up with something new, if allowed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dark Sun game by a competent developer would be my dream DnD title.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm just sitting here wishing Dragonlance was the next target. :(

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is having a rogue in the party, for things like lockpicking, as vital as it first seems?

I'm working my first play through and I just got to Tiefling town after the beach.

You can also just get someone strong with a good club to bust open most things that can be lock picked. Or have a wizard learn Knock

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

ZearothK posted:

Astarion confirmed for Smash Bros

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Squibbles posted:

You can also just get someone strong with a good club to bust open most things that can be lock picked. Or have a wizard learn Knock

And there's a club that makes you into someone strong!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Medullah posted:

And there's a club that makes you into someone strong!

I think the adamantine sword (all weapons?) also auto-crits on objects and ignores resistance so it's quite good at caving in just about anything with a lock on it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I definitely prefer the loot system for d&d compared to the one they used in D:OS2. That game was loot hell. Bags full of crap you need to compare 5+ stats on and you need to constantly do it or you'll fall behind the curve. Most of that game was spent standing around vendors looking in your bags.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SlothBear posted:

While I love the DND lore and all that I think it was only a small part of why I loved BG3, I'd rather see what Larian makes next in a new setting than have them deal with Hasbro if this is how that's going to go. Goddamn Hasbro sucks.

if Divinity 2 played like BG3 I would have liked it way more. It's the gameplay of BG3 that really pulls me in and its presentation.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

most of that game was spent meticulously stacking barrels and I loved it!!

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
BG3 is a fine game, maybe even a masterpiece, but nothing quite matches that level of Everything Is On Fire chaos from the Blackpits in DOS2

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mechanics wise what I'd like for a future D:OS game to take from BG3 would be the itemization and the health scaling, yeah.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I definitely prefer the loot system for d&d compared to the one they used in D:OS2. That game was loot hell. Bags full of crap you need to compare 5+ stats on and you need to constantly do it or you'll fall behind the curve. Most of that game was spent standing around vendors looking in your bags.

its why Larian went so hard on itemization in BG3

as far as Im aware, actual pen and paper 5e doesnt do any of the poo poo like having kitted out set pieces that change up your playstyle, and I dont recall seeing that many iconic D&D items like Holy Avenger, Bag of Holding, Deck of Many Things, whatever, vs stuff invented for the game

if they have the business sense to walk away from the D&D IP, Im sure theyll bring their new strengths to their next games and whenever they return to Divinity

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

wizard2 posted:

its why Larian went so hard on itemization in BG3

as far as Im aware, actual pen and paper 5e doesnt do any of the poo poo like having kitted out set pieces that change up your playstyle, and I dont recall seeing that many iconic D&D items like Holy Avenger, Bag of Holding, Deck of Many Things, whatever, vs stuff invented for the game

if they have the business sense to walk away from the D&D IP, Im sure theyll bring it to their next games and whenever they return to Divinity

that's what I'm thinking. Hell the more I think about it, the happier I am that Larian is walking away from the big company. They are now a household name as far as game developers go, they got to make a dream game for them, they made a successful sequel to a game 20 years after the last one which is so rare that it may as well never happen, and now they won't be tied to the demands of a bigger company. Larian seems to truly believe in the idea of independence and are actually well managed so I want them to be preserved as long as possible.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yeah, Ive got ties to Providence, D&D-brained, obvs, and love a good yarn about American corporate hubris.

Id say Larian walking away from Hasbro bodes really well for Larian and their future output, and probably REALLY incredibly badly for the Baldur's Gate IP.

Like, I am definitely extremely biased, I admit it, but I feel like maybe our beloved companion characters popping up in Magic and that idle clicker thing is only the start, lmao

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

wizard2 posted:

Even things like using the bonus action to flourish and having special attacks like lacerate with certain weapons is not part of 5e. Being able to swap out memorized spells on demand is also not 5e rules as written. There are dozens of examples of them just flat out improving the system, especially for a video game. Hell the Ranger class is almost entirely rewritten and greatly improved for it.

Shard posted:

that's what I'm thinking. Hell the more I think about it, the happier I am that Larian is walking away from the big company. They are now a household name as far as game developers go, they got to make a dream game for them, they made a successful sequel to a game 20 years after the last one which is so rare that it may as well never happen, and now they won't be tied to the demands of a bigger company. Larian seems to truly believe in the idea of independence and are actually well managed so I want them to be preserved as long as possible.

And hopefully they've got enough in the bank now that they can fund themselves. Tbh Larian dumping Hasbro might end up being the best thing that could happen, esp if they keep updating BG3 for free as they seemingly intend to do.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I must admit while I have enjoyed a few of Larian's pre-BG3 games, I enjoyed BG3's 5E implementation more than the mechanics in DOS1&2, and Divinity games' worldbuilding and storytelling has always felt like a slurry of generic videogame-y fantasy bullshit. I just went to their wiki to refresh myself on the plots of the games I've played, and Larian, please, just start a new IP or license something actually good again, please.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

imo the lancer ruleset doesnt really fit a dos/bg3 style game because it has such a clear split between combat and noncombat stuff. obviously theres a lot of changes they could make if they wanted to go that route but its a thought i had

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ZearothK posted:

:hmmyes:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm glad larian is doing what they want. It's good for their morale and nobody should be chained to creativity that feels like toil. They're the only developer of any real size that I can honestly say commits absolutely none of the modern development trend gaffs. No mtx of any sort, not even in offensive kinds that you can ignore, no season passes, no abandoning a broken product, no sequel bait, no filler content meant to pad playtime, no cynicism.

I know an industry that's so totally indebted to modern capitalism as the games industry is won't really learn the right lessons here, but I'm so glad there's a company willing to live their principles. Any time I buy a modern game above a certain development budget I always have to hold my nose a little bit. Feels good that I didn't with this one.

I'll buy whatever they put out day one. Always have, but now it's assured.

I was also glad that when their CEO talked about the cost of layoffs he specifically mentioned the loss of institutional knowledge and what a huge waste of talent that represents. When people were all worried about how BG would turn out, all I could think is that if you'd watched their development cycle, you couldn't help being optimistic. It is clearly a meaningfully improved process, producing refined games with each increment and follows a predictable pattern that is also largely public thanks to their soliciting player feedback. If you had churn like a lot of studios have now, you just couldn't foster the kind environment where something like that is possible. It would require so much catchup for new employees that you'd never survive if you acted the way big publishers and developers have been acting over the last eighteen months.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 22, 2024

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao

https://twitter.com/songbirdn7/status/1771064767790137685?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1771151155545911474

cook em jaysay

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You know I hear the kids today all want to Speak With Dead, but when's the last time they "Spoke With Dad"? *nods sagely, patiently awaiting applause*

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Medullah posted:

Are you by chance using one of the auto sorting bags mods? I've read that messes with the Thay book since it can't go into a bag

I am using Bags Bags Bags, but I deactivated it and tried to load an earlier save and it would just go to the main screen as soon as it was supposed to have finished loading. I tried downloading cheat engine to follow these steps (https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/18cz9ah/this_might_help_if_your_necromancy_of_thay/), but got another warning from my antivirus software which wouldn't let me download it. It's not a big deal, I did the questline in my first run-through, it's just frustrating.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

:yeah:

I'm pretty okay with Larian forging ahead and doing what they want now. Hell, i'd be okay if they went back and made more divinity games.

Yeah we'll get another Divinity Game in 4-5 years except now it'll have a fully fledged story and questlines.

Or they'll do the Larian thing and decide to make a racer or something

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They did say their next game is not Divinity: Original Sin 3, so really Kart Game is as good a guess as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

You know I hear the kids today all want to Speak With Dead, but when's the last time they "Spoke With Dad"? *nods sagely, patiently awaiting applause*

Keep 'em coming