Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Lend-Lease is helping Goku built a Spirit Bomb, not Goku himself.

This is specifically for the Gohan vs Cell analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I feel like I've actively lost knowledge reading the last page between the weird right wing framing and Dragon Ball analogies.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Posting about anime? on Something Awful? cringe

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Minenfeld! posted:

I feel like I've actively lost knowledge reading the last page between the weird right wing framing and Dragon Ball analogies.

what do you mean by "the weird right wing framing"?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Byzantine posted:

I said that the USSR would have lost without the Western Allies helping, yes. Stalin, Zhukov and Krushchev all said as much.

But if you're going to claim the Italians were a significant military power, I'm going to have to ask you to be serious.

Incomplete quoting on my post, I was mainly referring to the Air Skwirl's post about the Soviets single-handedly defeating the Axis. But yeah I meant the Japanese, not the loItalian army.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spirit bombs are praxis

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

what do you mean by "the weird right wing framing"?

The usual propaganda line that the USSR won WW2 all by it's lonesome doing 99% of the work while the rest of the world watched with awe at it's might.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

You know those rightwingers, always talking up the USSR (???)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably a fairly popular right wing position in Russia :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

You know those rightwingers, always talking up the USSR (???)

I mean have you been looking at modern right wing discourse?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hunt11 posted:

I mean have you been looking at modern right wing discourse?

they're more about putin's russia than soviet russia

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Right wingers famously love Josef Stalin.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Carthag Tuek posted:

spirit bombs are praxis

Komsomolskayamehameha

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Right wingers famously love Josef Stalin.

Russian ones do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Komsomolskayamehameha

radical saiyanism-posadism

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 22, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

For a long time, thanks to the cold war, basic history narrative in the US has downplayed the immense role the USSR played in WW2. It's a good thing to fix that imo. But it's also become an edgy contrarian position to say that the US did nothing and the soviets won single handedly, usually from the kind of person who thinks they're the first person to realize the US is actually bad and they're determined to blow all the normies' minds with this fact.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Byzantine posted:

This is specifically for the Gohan vs Cell analogy.
Sorry, you're absolutely right then.

To follow the analogy to its logical conclusion: Britain is Vegeta

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Much like maps, Dragonball is an almost universal language.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sorry, you're absolutely right then.

To follow the analogy to its logical conclusion: Britain is Vegeta

See, this guy gets it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Vegeta is Yugoslavian, Marmite is British

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Is Mr. Satan Poland or France in this analogy?

Edit: stupid swipey text

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 22, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is Mr. Saturn Poland or France in this analogy?

France. Got slapped aside immediately, technically helped, took credit with shameless self-promotion.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Vegeta is Yugoslavian, Marmite is British
Vegeta (Britain) was convinced by Cell (Germany) to let him gobble up Android 18 (Czechoslovakia)

Is Mr. Saturn Poland or France in this analogy?
Saturn???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wasn't trying to say the USSR beat the nazis singlehandedly, just that they played a larger role in winning than any other single nation and they probably would have had a better shot at winning without us than we would without them.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

boing

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

alnilam posted:

For a long time, thanks to the cold war, basic history narrative in the US has downplayed the immense role the USSR played in WW2. It's a good thing to fix that imo. But it's also become an edgy contrarian position to say that the US did nothing and the soviets won single handedly, usually from the kind of person who thinks they're the first person to realize the US is actually bad and they're determined to blow all the normies' minds with this fact.

It’s that slavery-states rights-slavery meme about the US Civil War. Except it’s WW2 in American, and they stopped at step 2. They were taught Hollywood History, and were the first American on Earth to realize the USSR fought and killed the most Nazis.

Then it devolves into ideas such as China, the US, and British India did nothing. Japan surrendered immediately because of the USSR. Manchuria wasn’t one of the nails in the coffin, nothing mattered till :ussr:

Please ignore the thoughts of Japanese command.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

soviet elsa posted:

It’s that slavery-states rights-slavery meme about the US Civil War. Except it’s WW2 in American, and they stopped at step 2. They were taught Hollywood History, and were the first American on Earth to realize the USSR fought and killed the most Nazis.

Then it devolves into ideas such as China, the US, and British India did nothing. Japan surrendered immediately because of the USSR. Manchuria wasn’t one of the nails in the coffin, nothing mattered till :ussr:

Please ignore the thoughts of Japanese command.

OK Edgar Allen Ho.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Japan and the USSR were workshopping a separate peace plan, which was one of the many ghoulish reasons Truman dropped the b9mb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I had to read A Separate Peace in highschool and it made me want to blow some poo poo up too.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Thats... thats not part of that novel at all.

Did you go to a high school for extremely clever boys who think good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't even actually hate the book that much, but most of my friends really, really hated it and I wanted to make a joke about it being terrible.

Also, I just remembered we read it in middle school, not high school, which is probably the reason so many classmates hated it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
gently caress is happening in here

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I like mid century realism, so i dont hate that book. The problem is that it is a morality play directed at adolescent boys. Teenagers hate adults telling them what tp do.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I like mid century realism, so i dont hate that book. The problem is that it is a morality play directed at adolescent boys. Teenagers hate adults telling them what tp do.

i havent read the book, and also i prefer early modern breakthrough over mid century realism. latter can be good but is more often very not.

anyway, i just wanted to say that i hear all your posts in this delivery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T2S8GHzxqc

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

gently caress is happening in here

an exploration of shared childhood trauma

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

So the american lend-lease argument is to WW2 what the states rights argument is to the american civil war? Am I understanding this correctly?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Did lend-lease lead to something equivalent to Jim Crow?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jehde posted:

So the american lend-lease argument is to WW2 what the states rights argument is to the american civil war? Am I understanding this correctly?

No, no. To help you understand, lend lease is Kenshin, the Soviets are the angels from Evangelion, the US is Akira, and the UK is those spider tanks from Ghost in the Shell. And the Nazis are Vash the Stampede’s brother.

E: for a slightly less poo poo post, I’ve been playing one of those daily games that might appeal to a fair number of people here: https://www.timeguessr.com - click on the daily if you want to play with someone else and you’ll try and match the same 5 photos to a specific place and year. Fun for history and map people. It’s extremely "rich West" (particularly European)-centric for the photos, but there are occasionally Arab, Indian, East Asian, and Latin American photos. The daily resets every day at 9:00am CET. Some Dutch or Flemish guy made it, I guess hence the particular focus on Western European culture and history.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 23, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Japan and the USSR were workshopping a separate peace plan, which was one of the many ghoulish reasons Truman dropped the b9mb.

This is a wildly misunderstood description of what happened. There was almost no progress in those talks because only a handful in Japan's government even knew Sato was talking with the Russians about mediation. Stalin was only playing along because they were gearing up to attack Japan on Aug 15th because they wanted their own piece of the pie from them before the American's forced a surrender.

But no there was no peace plan truly being workshopped with either side taking it seriously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK Edgar Allen Ho.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Do you even read posts or just look at reg dates?

I’m pretty sure that EAH was not a native speaker of Arabic.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Saladman posted:

E: for a slightly less poo poo post, I’ve been playing one of those daily games that might appeal to a fair number of people here: https://www.timeguessr.com - click on the daily if you want to play with someone else and you’ll try and match the same 5 photos to a specific place and year. Fun for history and map people. It’s extremely "rich West" (particularly European)-centric for the photos, but there are occasionally Arab, Indian, East Asian, and Latin American photos. The daily resets every day at 9:00am CET. Some Dutch or Flemish guy made it, I guess hence the particular focus on Western European culture and history.
I would expect part of it is also just the availability of photos, which would skew heavily Western/European in the early 20th century. As you get closer to the modern day, the number of non-European photos seems to increase.