Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sushibandit posted:

This. Aside from a couple of specific outliers (ems, gas, airburst) orbitals feel way worse to use than a majority of the eagle options, which is lame. The extra shot upgrade should apply to railgun and laser as well, by firing them sequentially when you call them down.

i think itd be cool if the railgun fired sequentially, so it can finish off a weakened target or hit a different enemy if the original target died, but itd be better if the laser fired off two at the same time for maximum democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I've said this before but I think a lot of the lower cooldown orbitals are pretty competitive with eagle strikes in a vacuum, but the operation modifiers tend to hit orbitals much harder relative to eagle strikes so sometimes I have a harder time justifying bringing orbitals instead of just stacking more eagle stratagems.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

sushibandit posted:

This. Aside from a couple of specific outliers (ems, gas, airburst) orbitals feel way worse to use than a majority of the eagle options, which is lame. The extra shot upgrade should apply to railgun and laser as well, by firing them sequentially when you call them down.

No more "bile titan is almost but not quite dead from orbital railgun" or "laser just sits on a single charger the entire duration".

It should add an extra charge to the laser and lower the cooldown of the rail cannon. I think making them fire sequentially would be way too much.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

its just bug Draupnir i'm disappointed

Yeah this is why Malevelon Creek initially underwhelmed me. Because I'd done the orders at Veld which is the same exact planet just with bugs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

if you see a charger: E.A.T.!
red brood commander: E.A.T.!
destroyer shooting at us: E.A.T.!
when you don't have any ammo: E.A.T.!
even at extraction: E.A.T.!
everybody else is dead: E.A.T.!

to the tune of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KIX3kb7Yxs

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

atelier morgan posted:

Is it bad that I immediately put it to the tune of this meme song someone made of Etrian Odyssey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_PVPyn6n8

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Since I'm a solo idiot, I have rather high opinions of lots of the orbitals. Orbital gas and ems are way more useful when you don't have "helpers" fighting way too far forward who throw strategems at everything on reaction.

For instance the 60-70s orbitals have more up time than 2 use eagles, slightly less than 3 use, and way less than 4-5 use. (This advantage is gone once you bring the second eagle, but hey.)

Which considering the 500kg radius issues makes me want to sit down and check damage radius on the 500kg vs Precision Strike. (Hey, did you know the precision strike is really good and I love it and refuse to stop talking about it?? :v:)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unhappy Meal posted:

Which considering the 500kg radius issues makes me want to sit down and check damage radius on the 500kg vs Precision Strike. (Hey, did you know the precision strike is really good and I love it and refuse to stop talking about it?? :v:)

FWIW I actually recently started using the Orbital Precision Strike again exactly because I was starting to feel the 500kg wasn't really worth it and yeah it's wonderful especially now with all my ship modules fully upgraded.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Insert name here posted:

I've said this before but I think a lot of the lower cooldown orbitals are pretty competitive with eagle strikes in a vacuum, but the operation modifiers tend to hit orbitals much harder relative to eagle strikes so sometimes I have a harder time justifying bringing orbitals instead of just stacking more eagle stratagems.

Bot planets can sometimes have those AA guns that disable Eagle strikes in their vicinity.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Is there some kind of level farming trick I'm missing? Because over my lunch break now I did a mission and got 3 randos all at level 50 (I'm 23 presently) and I ended the match with 12 team kills because they would. not. stop. running into my gas strikes. And I'm not chucking them into close combat, I'm trying to plug terrain funnels and breaches and these Leroy motherfuckers just keep barreling straight into the still visible gas clouds to... I have no idea. They also refused to use any kind of comms, and I guess had me on mute and didn't speak English because warning them about gas didn't do any good.

Does it completely disappear if you turn particles all the way down or something? How do you get that far in the game and not understand the mechanics of gas strikes?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

^^^ Bots maybe?

Fuuuuuuck. Did they change this on PS5 or am I just stupid? (porque no la dos?) The social and settings menus do work on PS5, but you have to use the D-Pad to control it. I could have sworn I used to use a stick to select things.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

Does it completely disappear if you turn particles all the way down or something?

While I am unsure, I did run into a somewhat interesting issue on Hellmire today. Playing with a friend and I kept watching them burst into flames despite not being hit by a flame tornado, my only guess being that because I was on an older machine than what I normally use, the ground fire from the tornado wasn't showing up. But I'm not sure which setting would be doing that especially since I have particles still turned up to high. It could just be a bug, and also unrelated to your gas issue.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Orbital Gatling, Airburst, Precision, EMS, Gas, and Smoke Strikes all have shorter cooldowns than Eagle's rearming. (lol smoke & gas)

Okay now multiply those cooldowns by the number of charges you get for eagle cluster/napalm/smoke and see if they're still shorter than the eagle rearm.

(also Smoke is actually cool and good against bots in open maps)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
They were definitely dying to the gas. I could see them enter the cloud, and their health bar start dropping, and I even just because it was so confusing ran in once myself and yep you get the coughing audio cue that you're dying from gas. I wish they at least yelled at me or something so I knew what the problem was. Or why charging into breaches point blank with shotguns was so important. Or running down the cliff from extract into the cloud to shoot closer. ... Maybe an extremely low render distance so they felt the need to get up close ALL the time, combined with utterly suicidal aggression?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Slyphic posted:

Is there some kind of level farming trick I'm missing? Because over my lunch break now I did a mission and got 3 randos all at level 50 (I'm 23 presently) and I ended the match with 12 team kills because they would. not. stop. running into my gas strikes.

Yeah, extermination missions used to be much shorter and trivial to complete on Helldive, so a bunch of people farmed those and ended up level 50 while not knowing how to play the game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Slyphic posted:

Is there some kind of level farming trick I'm missing? Because over my lunch break now I did a mission and got 3 randos all at level 50 (I'm 23 presently) and I ended the match with 12 team kills because they would. not. stop. running into my gas strikes. And I'm not chucking them into close combat, I'm trying to plug terrain funnels and breaches and these Leroy motherfuckers just keep barreling straight into the still visible gas clouds to... I have no idea. They also refused to use any kind of comms, and I guess had me on mute and didn't speak English because warning them about gas didn't do any good.

Does it completely disappear if you turn particles all the way down or something? How do you get that far in the game and not understand the mechanics of gas strikes?

A month or so ago when the game first started really exploding in popularity there was a bot defense campaign going on which had "kill X bots" missions everywhere. At the time the kill goal for these were half of what they are now, and there were lots of videos / reddit posts about how 3-4 people could just plop down mortar sentries and win in only a few minutes without any bots getting anywhere close by. Thus tons of people grinded those missions over and over and over for quick exp / req slips.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If anyone is looking for fun music to play in the background while you Helldive because the in game music gets kind of boring I suggest turning on any or all of the Metal Slug soundtracks. They fit remarkably well.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I want to like the Punisher Plasma, but it either needs a bit of a damage buff or (preferably imo) a much, much larger magazine. "Mags empty mags empty mags empty" is all I hear when I use it. It doesn't help that it feels like it never wants to actually reload as I mash the gently caress out of my reload button while I'm being chased.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Guns not actually reloading after the reload sounds and animations have played is a tiny bit of an issue.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

My orbital gas doesn't seem to ever kill anything, at all?

I would love to use since it has a very low cooldown, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Guns not actually reloading after the reload sounds and animations have played is a tiny bit of an issue.

Yeah that and stim going off but then not actually going off thing is a bit irksome

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

AndyElusive posted:

If anyone is looking for fun music to play in the background while you Helldive because the in game music gets kind of boring I suggest turning on any or all of the Metal Slug soundtracks. They fit remarkably well.

I've been dipping into old Command and Conquer soundtracks for this. Red Alert 2 meshes over quite well. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The setup that I keep coming back to for bugs, especially with the Arc Thrower off limits:

Primary: Sickle
Secondary: Senator
Grenade: Impact
Booster: Hellpod Space Optimization (Group), Localization Confusion (Solo)
Armor: Light Armor with +2 Grenades, Reduced Recoil when crouching/prone (Group), Light Scout Armor (Solo)

- EATS
- Shield
- Choice of: Eagle Cluster/Eagle Air Strike/Orbital Gas/Orbital Air Burst
- 500 kg (anti-heavy) OR take a second pick from the choices above if your team needs more crowd clear

You can handle small, medium, and large threats. You're not tied to a long CD support weapon so if you need to ditch your backpack and move on it sucks but doesn't cripple the build. You're highly combat effective from the moment you hit the ground, you don't have to worry about running out of ammo, your team support is excellent with EATS, you can close bug holes with EATs/grenades, and lock down a breach with gas or airburst.

The weakest thing for this build is against lots of medium armor enemies like Spewers and Hive Guards. Stalkers also suck if you lose your shield. You can put them down very quickly with impact grenades but you won't be mowing down hordes of them like you can everything else. For that reason I usually like having Cluster when I'm solo because it covers that gap nicely, softening them up or killing them outright with lots of usage available. Cluster can be great in a group but it feels like someone is always on the flank downrange so usage can be tricky. They're very deadly when you have a group that sticks together though.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 22, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

BadLlama posted:

The secret strat is taking both orbital EMS and orbital Gas and dropping them on the same spot. They have the same short cooldown so you can use them constantly, and the combo keeps everything but titans pinned down while they choke to death, even teammates! (this is a feature, not a bug)

I just wish EMS had a neat combo with arc/tesla where it would massively extend the range or damage or something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

What are people using the Senator for? For me, regardless of primary almost, I use my secondary as a "gently caress im out of ammo I need to get these GODDAMN HUNTERS off me" and so its always redeemer

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's acceptable as a secondary for popping bots at medium range. Trouble is the redeemer is too, just have to burst fire.
Senator ought to have faster reload and/or enough damage to always oneshot hunters.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Redeemer is insane, it does everything well. I just use the Senator because it’s very satisfying

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I would love to use since it has a very low cooldown, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Yeah that and stim going off but then not actually going off thing is a bit irksome

The secret is dropping the gas where they are going to be moving thru. Or on a breach. There is a roughly 5(ish?) second delay between a bug getting gassed and it dying btw but it also breaks LoS so dropping it and getting to cover will usual cause them to kind of mill around in the gas and die while you focus elsewhere.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jerkface posted:

What are people using the Senator for? For me, regardless of primary almost, I use my secondary as a "gently caress im out of ammo I need to get these GODDAMN HUNTERS off me" and so its always redeemer

It's okay at 1-2 shotting some elites in a pinch, but I find that mag dumping the Redeemer does the same job and is also better when they're accompanied by a clump of scavengers.

I want to like the Senator because it's got rizz or swag or whatever the kids are saying but the Redeemer is just the better secondary in pretty much every use case that has you switching to your secondary.

Bare minimum I think they should have speed loaders for their wheelguns in the distant future of 2XXX, c'mon.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Slyphic posted:

There might be some client side desync going on because my friend (PS5) and I (PC) had a similar problem with fire tornados being no where near where the other person was seeing them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

It's fun and I find the reload satisfying

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Bare minimum I think they should have speed loaders for their wheelguns in the distant future of 2XXX, c'mon.

They were muzzle-loading the guns on the super destroyer. Speedloading is heresy undemocratic.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Chillgamesh posted:

I just use the Senator because it’s very satisfying

Yeah, I switched over for the time being for that reason. It’s also good for picking off the poo poo bugs from a far since my primary is the Breaker incendiary. The reload time though….yikes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Redeemer feels like the kind of strictly better at everything gun that is bound to get whacked in some way, although I hope they improve the other sidearms to be as effective as the Redeemer is. It's kind of wild how it's just the default pistol's stats with more output.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

The Redeemer feels like the kind of strictly better at everything gun that is bound to get whacked in some way, although I hope they improve the other sidearms to be as effective as the Redeemer is. It's kind of wild how it's just the default pistol's stats with more output.

It also has less recoil unless that's a misprint

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 22, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Angry_Ed posted:

They were muzzle-loading the guns on the super destroyer. Speedloading is heresy undemocratic.

Hey you can let your hull-climbing EVA powder monkeys in from the cold with the right upgrades, surely you should be able to research a little polymer thingy to put all your cartridges in the cylinder at once as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hey you can let your hull-climbing EVA powder monkeys in from the cold with the right upgrades, surely you should be able to research a little polymer thingy to put all your cartridges in the cylinder at once as well.

Not approved by the Ministry of Science :pseudo:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jerkface posted:

The senator is for style points

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The redeemer is a terrible backup weapon because it's a really good primary and I use up all its ammo every time my actual primary runs dry.

The senator is like my own personal bodyguard because the reload is so slow I'm careful about using it, and I've always got plenty of rounds in reserve. It's easier to just reload my scorcher or whatever than fiddle with my big ol revolver. Having to pull my senator out is a very clear, physical sign that I have lingered at my current position too long. It also doesn't hurt it's got a great crosshair for hip firing while I scoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Section Z posted:

Dumb question. Were you wearing the very first scout armor from the warbond? Or maybe one of the light armors from the credits shop with more than 50 armor (not the padded one). Because you don't feel slow in those "Light" suits until you are running from stubborn psychic patrols forever, or trying to keep up with people in full light armor.

But yeah. Even trying to use medium armor gets exhausting when stamina booster still means always being left behind by lighter people. I want to wear the fat medium enforcer suit on bot missions without feeling like I am in slow mo! Good thing the shop had light fortified :sigh:

I bought some Red-painted Light armor with Super Credits in the first week or two of the game, did I get robbed??? Is that not "real" Light Armor? I'm so confused. My character is only level 5, if that helps you understand just how stupid and behind I am (totally should've taken a day off of work when it came out to "play for real" and learn everything right away, now I'm hosed)