Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Just Andi Now posted:

Wonder if Part 3 will still have QB or replace it with something completely different like they did Fort Condor. QB's storyline has essentially already concluded so while QB is very fun and they should make an app for it, they should also make a new game that everyone in the world is suddenly into (that also ties into the Genesis plot line, naturally)

Wordle by The Shinra Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think QB has become so popular there’s no way they don’t bring it back for the 3rd game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Queens Blood GX

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Card games on motorcycles...

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So finished it a few days ago and have a bunch of thoughts. I think the day after, I'm more down on the whole of the game than the MSQ.

The Immaculate
- The soundtrack. Holy poo poo, every track absolutely slaps. Bow wow wow, bow wow wow.
- The prevalence of comedy and the bittersweet feeling the interplay between the comedy and serious elements produces.
- The voice acting and character capture, just stellar all around.
- The direction on some of the more cinematic elements. Entering the Golden Saucer and The Loveless scenes are just absolutely incredible all-timer cutscenes.
- Synergy skills. Hugely satisfying addition to the combat systems in Remake, the animations alone are incredible.
- The environment design, the sense of place is fantastic, especially in some of the key areas like Cosmo Canyon.

The Good
- Lots of neat little QOL factors that make engaging with the systems and open world way less painful, they've definitely learnt from other similar games, and certainly the Horizon series influence is felt.
- The progression of fast travel around the world, from Choco-coach, to Cruise Liner then Tiny Bronco in both forms, gave a nice sense of progression.
- Character and monster design is over the top as hell.
- Deliberately splitting up the party into designed groups to get different perspectives of an encounter felt like interesting combat puzzles to sort out and gave different characters cool interactions with each other.
- Fleshing out Tifa and Aerith's relationship beyond their feelings about Cloud.
- Showing Cloud's mental breaks and battle of control with Sephiroth.

The Overrated
- Queens Blood. Really is nowhere near as good as the talk around it. Once I got a replace deck sorted I don't think I won by less than 40, including the final battles. The proscribed 'puzzle' versions are more interesting but limited.
- The multi-lifestream story. Payoff definitely wasn't worth the setup, sure some of the battles at the end were cool, but that's about it.
- Cait Sith, fight style feels way too gimmicky and needs ATB boost materia to be useable, and his solo section loving sucks, even story wise there's nothing there.
- Mini-games for everything, the mushroom picking one was the 'jumping the shark' moment for me, and many I didn't just bother with. Almost thinking of doing a separate minigame grading cause a lot of them just frustrating time wasters.
- Temple of the Ancients, first third was an absolute chore and then a lore dump, was pretty uninspiring.

The Horrible
- Encounter design toward the end. Many fights being a series of 'puzzles' with no means to prepare for them unless you want to slog through 30 minutes of encounters beforehand, including the final boss that has a 1hp reduction move that has a shorter wind-up than for the direct counter to it (Planet's Protection), infuriating. Coupled with the last fifth or so of the game having too many similar 'hard counter' puzzle fights.
- Chadley at every loving step in the regions. Shut the gently caress up.
- Some mini-games wouldn't make Steam shovelware, why are they here, looking at Glide de Chocobo and Gears and Gambits.
- It's just way too bloated and self-indulgent. I know that's kind of the point (chicken box making fun of bad quests) but there's just too much of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Slightly more evidence for the "other realities are in some way related to the afterlife" argument: when Cloud and Aerith wake up in the other timeline for their date, and Cloud asks if they're dead, Aerith says, "We could call it a 'homecoming.' Or 'homeward bound' maybe?"

By this point we've already heard dying referred to as "a homecoming" once before, and we'll hear it again soon after (this time referring to whole worlds dying).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My counter for the 1 hp move was to use one of my 50 Mist Giga Potions by the person with the free item use materia on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had Item Economizer and Item Master on Barret and played him like a full-on Chemist, it was great

I understand why hard mode has to restrict item use but I do miss my Chemist build :v:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Potions are just an energy drink now so I like to imagine Cloud slicing of the tops off a six pack of Monster and just slinging it around at the party

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Caidin posted:

Potions are just an energy drink now so I like to imagine Cloud slicing of the tops off a six pack of Monster and just slinging it around at the party

Always have been.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Tifa deals with more bullshit than anyone else and it's a miracle she's mostly stable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Poor Tifa's living out a horror movie plot in the middle of a fantasy adventure game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Tifa deals with more bullshit than anyone else and it's a miracle she's mostly stable

To be fair she was running a slum bar at like the age of 20. This was probably her in her off hours.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

And AC ends with her taking care of two kids with her erratic emo boyfriend

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goethe.cx posted:

Three kids

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

It’s funny that Cloud has the big sword because Tifa is the one living the Berserk life of kicking rear end, losing friends, and taking care of a gibbering warrior invalid.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Caidin posted:

Part 3 needs a Cloud/Tifa quest where they help out a failing bar and Cloud has a sabre-ing champaign bottle minigame, and yes you use the buster sword to do it.

Also needs a mode that keeps the annoying phone calls everytime you complete side content but instead of Chadley it's a more and more exasperated Sephiroth saying "I'm waiting Cloud" and "bring me the black materia Cloud."

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I think it is a little weird that Chadley was made by Hojo, more commonly known as the man whose one idea on how to do "science" involves injecting everything with an infinite supply of Jenova cells. The fact that Chadley is so otherwise normal-approximating that he triggers an uncanny valley response, instead of being a murder-crazed mutant like everything else Hojo touches, is a borderline miracle -- if not a plothole outright.

I'm half expecting Cloud to start having a Sephiroth-induced mental break, only to then have Chadley show up and start talking to Sephiroth, giving helpful and inane advice on how to puppeteer Cloud more efficiently.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Well Hojo currently has Chadley's real body hooked up to a brain drilling machine in his lab, so we're probably in for some hosed up stuff with him in the next game.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I wonder how you have to play the game to get the “others” date option on your first playthrough

No synergy attacks, gently caress up every single dialogue option, not a single side quest, mismatch your beach outfits on purpose, probably some stuff I’m not thinking of

Like I wonder if it’s even possible to do

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

goethe.cx posted:

I might be mis-remembering, but wasn't a big part of the reason for Cloud being like that in AC because he'd just been diagnosed with a bad case of Life Cancer?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think we're going to get another Intermission type DLC starring Vincent and, maybe, Cid. Him saying "I secured an exit" to the Turks makes no sense to me. Playing how he secured it would be a pretty good slice of game giving you a taste of how he plays in the 3rd game.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I might be mis-remembering, but wasn't a big part of the reason for Cloud being like that in AC because he'd just been diagnosed with a bad case of Life Cancer?

yeah. it's an understandable reason, it just gives tifa more bullshit thrown her way

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Well Hojo currently has Chadley's real body hooked up to a brain drilling machine in his lab, so we're probably in for some hosed up stuff with him in the next game.

Was that Chadley's body? I thought it may have been an earlier body from the Chadley series

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was that Chadley's body? I thought it may have been an earlier body from the Chadley series

Well Chadley starts reacting when Hojo's machine starts poking at the body's brain.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Re3 is gonna have a hefty old save bonus and then Hojo's fight gets more phases scaling with how much combat data you've unwittingly fed him from all the intel fights over the last 2 games

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Morroque posted:

I'm half expecting Cloud to start having a Sephiroth-induced mental break, only to then have Chadley show up and start talking to Sephiroth, giving helpful and inane advice on how to puppeteer Cloud more efficiently.

Chadley’s inevitable death in part 3 is gonna be the true tearjerker event.

“Cloud. Thank you for everything you have done for me. As I fade from this form, I wonder if I may too experience the boundless cycle of the Lifestream. Or perhaps not. But as I begin this journey, I leave you one…last…request…”

A marker pops up on your map. It’s Chadley’s human body to give a proper burial. :smith:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Well Chadley starts reacting when Hojo's machine starts poking at the body's brain.

Honestly my immediate thought was "Oh the Chadleys have a hivemind"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Chadley sacrifices himself to stop Hojo from uploading himself and causing Dirge of Cerberus from happening

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

bobjr posted:

Chadley sacrifices himself to stop Hojo from uploading himself and causing Dirge of Cerberus from happening

that's what the series truly means about "defying fate"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

What I don’t understand about that part is then what’s the Chadley we see in the world? Is it another hologram that looks real? Can only Cloud see him?

EDIT: Wait no he plays in the QB tournament so he must be interacting with other people. If it’s another body then why can’t Chadley just transfer himself to it or something?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

bobjr posted:

One of the funniest moments was them foreshadowing that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

What I don’t understand about that part is then what’s the Chadley we see in the world? Is it another hologram that looks real? Can only Cloud see him?

EDIT: Wait no he plays in the QB tournament so he must be interacting with other people. If it’s another body then why can’t Chadley just transfer himself to it or something?

Exactly! Simply more evidence for the Chadley hivemind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I rewatched some cutscenes and I'm feeling more confident about my "the other worlds are part of the lifestream and Biggs, Zack, and Aerith are for real dead" theory.

"It's not death, it's a homecoming" is hammered into the player's head in the hours before the dream date. Then, at the start of that date, how does Aerith describe to Cloud where they are? "We could call it a 'homecoming.' Or 'homeward bound' maybe?" Given that we've just seen the word "homecoming" applied to death multiple times before then, it seems like a strong indicator that wherever they are, it's related to dying or otherwise returning to the planet. On top of this, Biggs sure seems to be in purgatory. He spends all his screen time struggling with finding meaning in his life, and "dies" again moments after he finally comes to some form of acceptance. That could just be for purely symbolic reasons of course, or it could be that he needed to be able to "move on."

So what's the point of all that, then? That I'm less sure about. There's a heavy focus people not being able to make choices, or all choices ultimately leading to the same conclusion. No matter what Cloud chooses during his dream date with Aerith, it doesn't matter, your choice is just ignored. No matter which path Zack takes (Biggs or Cloud), he runs into a platoon of troops just like the one that kills him at the end of Crisis Core. Biggs ultimately ends up dead no matter what.

We know the lifestream itself is undergoing a schism of sorts--we see the tug of war inside of it between the planet's will and Sephiroth's, and we know Jenova's cells are corrupting the lifestream by their presence. These other worlds could be something like the planet's "will" breaking down and splintering, trying to find a solution and hitting a wall every time, with the ultimate goal of Zack and Aerith in part 3 to be reuniting it so that it can fight back against Sephiroth's will and ultimately free itself to stop the meteor. Meanwhile, Sephiroth's consciousness within the lifestream is trying to snuff out Aerith's, following her spirit from bubble reality to bubble reality to try to erase her presence altogether.

As for what Cloud's seeing at the end? Could be Aerith saw a crack in the sky the whole time, and now that Cloud's mind is more and more fractured, and Jenova and Sephiroth are overriding him, maybe he's just able to see a thing he couldn't before. Or maybe aside from seeing dead people, he's also seeing dead worlds.

Everything past the second paragraph is wild speculation that I'm not all that sure about, but I do feel pretty sure in the "they're all actually dead" theory. I just don't see another way to read that repeated echoing of the "homecoming" concept.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
How do you account for Kyrie and the rest of sector 5 slums NPC's that have no particular reason to be dead at the moment, or the temporarily life of prologue Red?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not entirely sure, but my guess is that those aren't "really" them. They might be the planet's memories of them, or just representations to fill out these "dreamed" worlds, or something like that. Sorta like how Tidus is a "dream of the fayth" in FFX, but with "dream of the planet" instead.

I admit that's a reach and pretty much whole-cloth speculation but I also think that most theories for what's really going on rely on roughly the same amount of whole-cloth speculation. Or that's how it seems to me, at least. There are enough details that seem contradictory that I think any coherent explanation of the multiverse stuff, at least with the info we have now, is gonna have to make some leaps.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 22, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That would mean Elmyra and Marlene are dead too, wouldn't it?

That seems a bit too insanely grim a change.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lifestream purgatory VR is a cleaner explanation than any multiverse/timeline poo poo Square-Enix could possibly justify at this point. Nothing else works given the backpedaling from Remake.

ImpAtom posted:

That would mean Elmyra and Marlene are dead too, wouldn't it?

That seems a bit too insanely grim a change.

I mean in various media you see characters go to hell and face everyone and everything they’ve failed, dead or alive, relatively often. So it’s not that big a stretch.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2024

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think the bubble universes are just that. Homeward bound is an allusion to the idea that the world itself is dying and returning to the Planet along with everyone there.

It seems to contain a mix of "real", Alpha timeline doomed people (Biggs, Zack) and copies of people who would ordinarily be in that location (Elmyra, Marlene, Kyrie). The implication Sephiroth gives is that these worlds are no less "real" than any others for all their short-livedness and destined annihilation. Perhaps the reason the reactors are dry in that timeline is that as a doomed timeline, this world simply possessed no Lifestream/mako in the first place? Hence flowers not really growing and so on. The people there are the only source of mako. (But maybe you could redirect the Lifestream from the main Planet into one of these worlds to save it/make it the primary timeline at the cost of the original, or something? Remember Omega Weapon's big function is to just grab the Lifestream and gently caress off into space to look for a new planet. Same concept.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Mako is interesting because the pipes around Midgar in the very start of the game when the news report is going are downright oozing Mako, and in the ending Zack(assuming he landed back in the "same" church") is observing blooming flowers.