Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Anyone else finding it incredibly difficult to find pugs that give a poo poo about sample collection? I’m pretty well stocked on everything but ship unlocks, and for the life of me I cannot find a game with pugs that doesn’t result in a maximum of like 5 samples and a ton of frustration. Any time I’ve focused on getting them, I inevitably either get killed at the outskirts of the map and can’t make it back to the pile in time, or get friendly-fired right as the shuttle is about to depart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

KlavoHunter posted:

I bought some Red-painted Light armor with Super Credits in the first week or two of the game, did I get robbed??? Is that not "real" Light Armor? I'm so confused. My character is only level 5, if that helps you understand just how stupid and behind I am (totally should've taken a day off of work when it came out to "play for real" and learn everything right away, now I'm hosed)

Some light armors are a little faster than others at the cost of less overall armor. It's detailed in the stats.

It's still going to be faster than medium or heavy armor though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry_Ed posted:

Is it bad that I immediately put it to the tune of this meme song someone made of Etrian Odyssey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_PVPyn6n8

that's what i was referencing when writing the post yeah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What's the armour rating on automaton towers like the signal jammer? Just wondering which handheld weaponry would be capable of downing 'em from a safe distance.

Griz
May 21, 2001

KlavoHunter posted:

I bought some Red-painted Light armor with Super Credits in the first week or two of the game, did I get robbed??? Is that not "real" Light Armor? I'm so confused.

there's the 50 armor and the 74(?) armor, both of which are "light"

Darth Walrus posted:

What's the armour rating on automaton towers like the signal jammer? Just wondering which handheld weaponry would be capable of downing 'em from a safe distance.

the small one has a vent somewhere nearby that you can grenade, the big one makes you use the terminal and call in a hellbomb

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Record Talk posted:

Anyone else finding it incredibly difficult to find pugs that give a poo poo about sample collection? I’m pretty well stocked on everything but ship unlocks, and for the life of me I cannot find a game with pugs that doesn’t result in a maximum of like 5 samples and a ton of frustration. Any time I’ve focused on getting them, I inevitably either get killed at the outskirts of the map and can’t make it back to the pile in time, or get friendly-fired right as the shuttle is about to depart.

Ya it's tough, you can mitigate this by just teaming up with friends, goons, or asking the randos and agreeing before you actually drop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hey you can let your hull-climbing EVA powder monkeys in from the cold with the right upgrades, surely you should be able to research a little polymer thingy to put all your cartridges in the cylinder at once as well.

Heck, I think in Battlefield 2142 the EU pistol just had you swap out the entire revolver drum with a fresh, loaded one. If the revolver here did that I'd be so very happy.

Anyways right now I seem to be settling on a bug load out of:
-Laser Liberator rifle
-Revolver
-+grenade armor
-Impact grenades
-Grenade Launcher
-Supply pack so I can throw away half-used heat sinks, and grenades like they were party favors, chug stims like they're water, and make pubbies think I'm the nicest person every for giving them maybe ONE of my resupplies in a game.
-Eagle Airstrike for generic Anti Everything
-Orbital Airburst for "Dear spaceship: punch this area three times." Great for bug breaches.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hakarne posted:

I want to like the Punisher Plasma, but it either needs a bit of a damage buff or (preferably imo) a much, much larger magazine. "Mags empty mags empty mags empty" is all I hear when I use it. It doesn't help that it feels like it never wants to actually reload as I mash the gently caress out of my reload button while I'm being chased.

I'm the opposite - the more I've used it, the more and more I've started loving it. It admittedly takes quite a bit of getting used to the weird arc and slow travel time, but once you do it's very effective at wiping out groups, stunlocking anything that isn't a charger/hulk or stronger, and popping annoying enemies like striders or bile spewers. If you have a clear shot of their weak points, it can even take out chargers in 5 hits to the butt and hulks in 4 hits to the vents. The main draw though imo is its ability to hit from behind cover once you get a feel for the arc, you should try to abuse this as much as possible. It's super easy to hit bots from behind their own walls while they just shoot helplessly at it. I think with very careful positioning you can even hit a tank's weak point while it's looking at you. It's kind of a jack-of-all-trades sort of weapon - it's not as good as the Slugger at picking off beefier enemies, and not as good as the Sickle at clearing out waves of weaker enemies, but it's solid at both!

Its main weakness is when something (like a hunter) gets in your face. I've mostly solved this by just using my pistol, but if you really want you can tailor your support weapon to cover this weakness. Otherwise for support weapons I mostly just bring whatever I feel my team needs - though since the Plasma Punisher is pretty solid at wiping out groups, I tend to instead go for single-target elimination like RR, AC, or Railgun. That being said, the plasma isn't awful at taking out heavies, so you could instead opt for Stalwart, Machine Gun, Flamethrower, etc to handle larger groups.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I think I'm officially done with this game until they add some form of rejoining ongoing matches. 2 minutes left in a 40 minute mission, we're all heading to extraction, one reinforcement left, I'm doing good. We defeat the last bug breach, two bile titans down, we're on the home stretch.

"Failed to establish connection to server" and I'm booted back to my ship. 38 minutes down the drain and nothing to show for it. I'm not a salty man by nature, but I will admit to being pretty frustrated at the moment. In my saltiness, I'm not going to waste any more of my time with this game until they add a way to at least recover lost progress in the form of reconnecting to servers.

I really hope the other three guys didn't get booted. I was hosting.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Griz posted:

the small one has a vent somewhere nearby that you can grenade, the big one makes you use the terminal and call in a hellbomb

The big one can be annoying because of the hellpod not wanting to come down close to such a large object and so the beacon will just roll around until it finds a suitable spot. I've thrown one down at the front and had it circle three quarters of the way around before triggering edit: actually, that was a detector tower.

darnon fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 22, 2024

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Alkydere posted:

Heck, I think in Battlefield 2142 the EU pistol just had you swap out the entire revolver drum with a fresh, loaded one. If the revolver here did that I'd be so very happy.

Anyways right now I seem to be settling on a bug load out of:
-Laser Liberator rifle
-Revolver
-+grenade armor
-Impact grenades
-Grenade Launcher
-Supply pack so I can throw away half-used heat sinks, and grenades like they were party favors, chug stims like they're water, and make pubbies think I'm the nicest person every for giving them maybe ONE of my resupplies in a game.
-Eagle Airstrike for generic Anti Everything
-Orbital Airburst for "Dear spaceship: punch this area three times." Great for bug breaches.

God, I miss BF2142 weapons.

My personal kit has been:
Sickle or Breaker (more Sickle lately)
Machine Pistol (P-19 Redeemer)
Boring grenades

As for strats, it always depends, but by default or I'm dealing with pubbies:
Eagle 500kg, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser, EAT rear end

If it's bugs:
Exosuit or EAT rear end, Laser Doggo, Orbital Laser, Eagle Airstrike

If it's bots:
Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser, Backpack Shield, EAT rear end

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Qubee posted:

Yeah, I think I'm officially done with this game until they add some form of rejoining ongoing matches. 2 minutes left in a 40 minute mission, we're all heading to extraction, one reinforcement left, I'm doing good. We defeat the last bug breach, two bile titans down, we're on the home stretch.

"Failed to establish connection to server" and I'm booted back to my ship. 38 minutes down the drain and nothing to show for it. I'm not a salty man by nature, but I will admit to being pretty frustrated at the moment. In my saltiness, I'm not going to waste any more of my time with this game until they add a way to at least recover lost progress in the form of reconnecting to servers.

I really hope the other three guys didn't get booted. I was hosting.

Well it apparently does have host transfer as people with hosts getting disconnected have said. I just started hosting all my games and haven't had disconnects since.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

God, I miss BF2142 weapons.

I really think the sickle (laser assault rifle) should sound like the 2142 Krylov. Just a deadly squeaky toy of a gun.

Anyways, thanks for EAT-ing so much rear end. I personally prefer bringing the RR but when I'm not or doing trash clear I really enjoy having a bunch of one-shot rocket launchers everywhere.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would bring the stalwart to every mission if it had the BF2142 Bianchi LMG sound

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Would love a mod that changed the sounds of the Sickle and one that skips the cinematic intro to the game and just loads you straight to your ship.

Kind of surprised there actually arent more Nexus mods for Helldivers 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My standard loadout at present is Eagle Airstrikes for general-purpose demolition work/horde removal, the Orbital Railcannon for instantly killing/crippling hard targets, the autocannon for raining long-ranged explosive doom on anything with medium armour or below, and the autocannon turret for basic one-stratagem-slot area defence and covering retreats. In personal gear, I use the Defender SMG (a best-in-class medium-ranged rapid-firing all-rounder that's particularly great for cutting through fast melee units), the Redeemer machine pistol (for emergencies when I'm low on ammo with everything else), and high explosive grenades (impact grenades are nice, but I have my autocannon and Eagle for making things go boom, and the long fuse time on HE grenades makes it easier to roll them into factory vents and bug holes).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Permanent "Failed to establish network connection" on startup-servers died?

e: nevermind, cleared itself up. weird.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I use the Defender SMG (a best-in-class medium-ranged rapid-firing all-rounder that's particularly great for cutting through fast melee units), the Redeemer machine pistol (for emergencies when I'm low on ammo with everything else), .

I decided to give the Defender another go against bugs a few days ago, and I am not going back to using anything else.

With the current deaths being mostly from hunters chasing you down and murdering you, being able to run away and accurately shoot back at the same time has been keeping me alive far more than using anything else.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Alkydere posted:

I really think the sickle (laser assault rifle) should sound like the 2142 Krylov. Just a deadly squeaky toy of a gun.

Anyways, thanks for EAT-ing so much rear end. I personally prefer bringing the RR but when I'm not or doing trash clear I really enjoy having a bunch of one-shot rocket launchers everywhere.

God, that was my favorite rifle. For everyone else that didn't play Peak Battlefield: https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Krylov_FA-37

I loving litter the map with EATs (I keep calling them LATs), but I've been kinda slowing down to keep the strat ready as an emergency railgun for a Charger.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ArmyGroup303 posted:

God, that was my favorite rifle. For everyone else that didn't play Peak Battlefield: https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Krylov_FA-37

I loving litter the map with EATs (I keep calling them LATs), but I've been kinda slowing down to keep the strat ready as an emergency railgun for a Charger.

easy to remember if you just scream out EAT IT every time you shoot one

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

easy to remember if you just scream out EAT IT every time you shoot one

:yeshaha:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Needs more content-specific chatter by the Helldivers. 50 variations/puns related to lighting bugs on fire being hot/spicy

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

jokes posted:

Needs more content-specific chatter by the Helldivers. 50 variations/puns related to lighting bugs on fire being hot/spicy

Press your push to talk and be the change you want to see in the galaxy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Krylove :love:

Bf2142 had such good gun design.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

jokes posted:

Bugs ill like fire

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Krylove :love:

Bf2142 had such good gun design.

Replace the Liberator with the Krylov FA-37 (and loaded with your choice of either shotgun or rocket rounds), and get me the Pilum, and watch the bots and bugs driven before you.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is 5+ minutes in "quick play" normal?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hwurmp posted:

Bugs ill like fire

The crossover we’ve always wanted

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mesadoram posted:

Is 5+ minutes in "quick play" normal?

To find a game? Nope. I don't think I've ever had to wait longer than 30 seconds except for when the servers were making GBS threads themselves

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Same, it’s usually quicker for me to just mash quickplay than to pick a mission and do all that other poo poo

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Away all Goats posted:

To find a game? Nope. I don't think I've ever had to wait longer than 30 seconds except for when the servers were making GBS threads themselves

:smith:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

AndyElusive posted:

Ya it's tough, you can mitigate this by just teaming up with friends, goons, or asking the randos and agreeing before you actually drop.

This one goon lobby I was hosting had a pretty vocal kick the pubbie delegation. I just couldn't do it, they suggested the drop point that put us on top of all the super samples. They ended up rage quitting because they thought we had given up on the super samples but we went back and got them after the swarm went elsewhere.

Every other time pretty chill until you get a death spiral that turns coms into angry silence. Which is always funny the day after.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you are over a planet and hitting quickplay you might just be on one of the low-population planets. You can zoom out to the sector (or out to the galaxy screen if you don't care which faction you fight) and hit quickplay there and it should be faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every time you clear an objective there's always some samples nearby. So if you're with the core group you'll likely pick up about half the available samples on your normal path through main objectives.

You could also just grab samples without killing anything or clearing objectives. Against bugs, collecting samples is very easy because the majority of them aren't good at killing someone who is in a full-on dead-rear end sprint. For sure you can just grab super samples and hit da bricks, they're super easy to spot/pick up, but samples don't appear, they're just easier to spot when you clear objectives.

They need a light armor that reduces the range at which enemies find you and increases the range at which samples pop up on screen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Qubee posted:

You can rejoin if anyone in the game is in your friends list. Another reason to play with goons (or anyone you know.)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Like 80% of the time I'm the pug hunting samples. Scout armor and vitality enhancement and shield pack and and just dodging and not engaging with the enemy as much as possible makes it pretty easy. I'm consistently hitting the pelican with more than half of all the samples. I also make it a point to drop them near exfil and come back later on anything above 6 (lower than that, I just don't really die anymore unless I'm loving around trying things out)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

30+ years of gaming and this must be the #1 buggiest piece of poo poo I've ever laid my hands on.

I hope game stability is their absolute #1 goal now.

We had an incredible push in Urbanea from one side of the map to the other, just fighting waves and waves of bots between us and the exfil, out in the open. Then everyone CTD'd. JFC.

:allbuttons:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gotta admit I'm a tad worried about their ability to get the game into a stable state, given that it's been getting worse over time and every time they attempt to fix something they just seem to leave it differently-broken.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rushed patches and hotfixes are always a roll of the dice and it caught up with them. Delaying the patch till monday/tuesday sucks but its probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Replace the Liberator with the Krylov FA-37 (and loaded with your choice of either shotgun or rocket rounds), and get me the Pilum, and watch the bots and bugs driven before you.

Near the end of the game's life I discovered that the engineer anti-air rocket launchers were anti-infantry machines and I'd become an absolute menace with them. Two shots per reload and each one would one-hit kill people when it hit them. Even better was because it was an anti-vehicle weapon anyone I nailed with it couldn't be revived which would shut down choke points that a medic and their magical revive tool had holed up in with a zombie buddy.

This makes me really frustrated that the plasma shotgun feels so...bleh. I just wish it had more speed or a less severe arc so I could actually hit things.

As a side note: don't pick up collectibles or activate bunker doors while carrying an SSD. My animation bugged out to be the hug pose and I was basically T-posing around until I tried to fire a shot. Turns out that unlike X-COM the guns actually fire where they're pointing and my plasma shotgun blew my own feet off.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Rushed patches and hotfixes are always a roll of the dice and it caught up with them. Delaying the patch till monday/tuesday sucks but its probably for the best.

It's also likely a side effect of having the game being crossplay with PS5. With console games there's generally a testing pipeline that delays patches by about a week at minimum. They can fix stuff on the back end ASAP but the clients need to be updated all at once for crossplay so PC has to wait.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 22, 2024