Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Re earlier reporting by Financial Times that US has apparently asked Ukraine to tone down their refinery drone attacks, since it will cause oil prices to rise globally - here's some random guy on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/EHunterChristie/status/1771114589561692234

Copying his text here because Twitter:

quote:

There is always a possible substitution for Russia between exporting refined products and exporting crude.

By striking only the refineries, Ukraine does not prevent Russia from exporting oil & oil products - it merely forces a substitution, in Russia's export structure, towards more crude and less refined products. But the total volume hitting the global market should not be expected to fall, except temporarily and by small amounts.

However, striking the refineries means that less actually usable fuels are available inside Russia for the armed forces and for civilian transport. That's why it's smart economic warfare -- it harms Russia's war effort, potentially also the Russian economy in how it functions internally, while minimising negative consequences for the global economy.

And that, in turn, is why it is infuriating to see this FT article that completely misses on the logic of what is going on and that appears to suggest that the Biden Administration doesn't understand or pretends not to understand -- and is ultimately panicking over likely minor global disruptions that can come with a major disruption to Russia's war effort.

Well, I'm no expert but this sounds plausible enough. I would also argue that Biden's (potential) inability to win an election is not something Ukraine can afford to care about (especially since, funnily enough, USA is not right now giving enough aid to Ukraine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I suppose it’s gonna rain (conspiracy) theories the next couple of days.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

explain it to me, aristotle, how is a full scale invasion of poland not simultaneously a full scale invasion of europe?

actually, dont

Where there is an individual within a larger category, and where that category is (nebulously, poorly) synonymous with a second category, the individual is not in fact in itself synonymous with the second category, and cannot be substituted in that way. Poland is not a synonym for Europe, nor can it be substituted to inflate or deflate the scope of claims being attributed to "this thread" - much in the same way that a claim about Poland which you already got revised from one user is not representative of

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

come on, there's not a lot of evidence that putin has the desire, and certainly not the capability, to launch a full scale conquest of europe but people in this thread often talk about it like it's a foregone conclusion that's right around the corner

If you have examples of this thread often presenting the foregone conclusion that a Russian full scale conquest of Europe is right around the corner, I'd welcome it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 22, 2024

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
drat apparently at least 40 people are dead in the Moscow terror attack according to CNN. I hope Russia doesn't blame it on Ukraine and then invade their country :ohdear:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I have it on good authority that Latvians did it

well, it could be just anything at this point. So far the only concrete thing seems to be that western intelligence services got a hint and warned about the possibility beforehand. I would assume that if it was a FSB false flag op or something and CIA heard of it then they would have signalled about it differently to deter it, but that doesn't rule it completely out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Charliegrs posted:

drat apparently at least 40 people are dead in the Moscow terror attack according to CNN. I hope Russia doesn't blame it on Ukraine and then invade their country :ohdear:

Looks like 3 people with machine guns entered the Crocus City Hall theater and started shooting. The building is on fire and according to russian media some people have been rescued from the basement.

The roof on which people are hiding is burning and looks like it might collapse…

Ukraine already came out denying any involvement in this.

Edit:
Source: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-we-know-about-shooting-concert-venue-near-moscow-2024-03-22/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

One interview of an eye witness, translated from is.fi

quote:

- I sat in the hall upstairs, where the balconies are. I heard gunshots. At first I didn't understand what had happened. Then I saw for myself how the terrorists came in and shot at everyone," an eyewitness told Reuters of the events in the concert hall.

- Eventually they threw a Molotov [cocktail, fire bottle] - everything was set on fire. We were directed to the exit. It turned out that it was locked. We ran all over Crocus City, trying to find a way out, but to no avail. We went to the basement of Crocus City Hall [concert hall building] and waited for the emergency services and got out.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
On the one hand, Russia has a history of false flags and Putin may feel the need for a rallying cry before conscripting another couple hundred thousand men to go die in the grinders.

On the other hand, Putin just "won" his election after the opposition was murdered in prison, and the coup-attempter was literally blown out of the sky. If he's still concerned about people not tolerating conscription with that much of an iron grip on power I don't think anything will fix that problem. So killing a couple dozen Moscow residents might not accomplish anything.

That said, if not a false flag, who is the likely suspect?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
There's like 20 different possible culprits and motivations lol.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

That said, if not a false flag, who is the likely suspect?

Previously such attacks have been committed by islamists, but I could also see some PTSD fevered Wagner veterans or some neo nazi or other extremist group doing something like this.

I think it's better to wait for more to emerge. I'm still thinking it's the Latvians, for the record, but I can be persuaded otherwise with evidence.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

jaete posted:

Obviously it's not quite that simple, but think about a Europe where all the other countries, or let's say all Eastern/Central countries, decided to "Finlandise" themselves militarily sometime around 1991. After three decades of that these various countries between them could have had about five million men in reserve and I'm just gonna stop there. There would also be enough artillery and ammo, etc.
In the 1980s NATO countries spent an average of 3.5% of GDP on the military. Before the collapse of the Soviet Union this was supposed to grow a bit (I think to 4%, but I can’t find a source right now). Before reunification, the German Bundeswehr had some 500k active duty soldiers, with another 800k in the reserves. Germany had some 7000 armored fighting vehicles, of which more than 2000 were Leopard 2 and another 1300 or so were Leopard 1 main battle tanks. Germany had roughly 1000 combat aircraft.

Today, the German Bundeswehr has roughly 180k active duty soldiers, no more draft, 3000 AFV, of which 300 are MBTs, and 230 combat aircraft, and average spending by NATO was closer to 1.5% of GDP.

The problem isn’t that the capability wasn’t grown enough, the problem is that it was allowed to atrophy and the changing political realities wrt Russia were ignored.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2024

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Remember when Victoria Nuland proclaimed that Russia had some nasty surprises waiting for it in 2024?

**I mean to say if Russia wants to tie this back to the states there are no end of ways for them to do that.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 22, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also that they somehow did a shittier job of preserving the equipment than Russia and Ukraine both. If Germany had 1700 Leo 2s sitting around, things would be much easier.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
thoughts and prayers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My money's on Chechens, it's usually Chechens

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Failed Imagineer posted:

My money's on Chechens, it's usually Chechens

hmm I don't know about this, 99% of them voted for Putin in the last election

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Also that they somehow did a shittier job of preserving the equipment than Russia and Ukraine both. If Germany had 1700 Leo 2s sitting around, things would be much easier.

OTOH, as a Finn I thank the German generosity in selling away both their and East Germany's tanks :tipshat:

...124 Leo 2A4's were bought from Germany and a dozen for spare parts, then another 100 2A6's from the Netherlands. Nowadays the Netherlands have 18 Leopards left. Not much of a defense partner anymore, but hey, thanks for the tanks anyway!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ironically today "LGBT movement" was included in the Russian register of extremists and terrorists.
Priorities, man.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Well, the tanks were preserved - by being sold to armies all across the world.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

From eye witness accounts it sounds like the fire exits were locked, if so it doesn't surprise me the least. Prediction: Putin will sack scapegoats, nothing changes.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

Ironically today "LGBT movement" was included in the Russian register of extremists and terrorists.
Priorities, man.

You say that like pussy riot isn't the prime suspect here.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

acidx posted:

You say that like pussy riot isn't the prime suspect here.

Must be those horny summer camp counselor romance book fans

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

ISIS has claimed responsibility.

https://twitter.com/azelin/status/1771284775170425250

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

For the record, I made my previous post before I was aware of how IS central media works

Nenonen posted:

One interview of an eye witness, translated from is.fi

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So ISIS is based in Latvia now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

So ISIS is based in Latvia now

always has been

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant Latvia

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Isn't .fi Finland?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Isn't .fi Finland?

It's short for "fatwa islam".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently there was an alert from MARCH 7TH that Islamic State - Khrorasan was planning on an external operation to Afghanistan.
https://x.com/CalibreObscura/status/1771230886970683771?s=20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/stat...ia-live-updates

Yeah I remember this alert

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

On March 7, the State Dept did issue a warning to anyone in Moscow to avoid crowds & gatherings, and specifically named 'concert venues' as targets. It was a 48-hour warning.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Apparently there was an alert from MARCH 7TH that Islamic State - Khrorasan was planning on an external operation to Afghanistan.
https://x.com/CalibreObscura/status/1771230886970683771?s=20

Evidently the best response is clear - Russia should attack Afghanistan. It's guaranteed to be a great idea, and also it's Russia's turn again.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Keisari posted:

Evidently the best response is clear - Russia should attack Afghanistan. It's guaranteed to be a great idea, and also it's Russia's turn again.

Obviously you first need to annex a few small states between Russia and Afghanistan first.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Putin Knew

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Obviously you first need to annex a few small states between Russia and Afghanistan first.

Nonsense, they are all CSTO members. CSTO members always help each out right? Russia has never hung a CSTO member out to dry after all.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Lid posted:

Putin Knew

It's the Kursk all over again lol. The Russian government values Russian lives even less than they value non-Russian lives.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

acidx posted:

It's the Kursk all over again lol. The Russian government values Russian lives even less than they value non-Russian lives.

Can you elaborate what you mean with "the Kursk" in this context? I'd like to read about it if it's something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Keisari posted:

Can you elaborate what you mean with "the Kursk" in this context? I'd like to read about it if it's something similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster