Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Open Source Idiom posted:

So, essentially, this is a theory you're presenting as fact?.

I mean, I'm fairly concerned by this kind of automation and consider it anti-art, but these guys wrote the script to Morbius. They just suck.

And wouldn't they have to credit whatever tool they used during the making of the film? Surely.

All I have is it's Hollywood. It's got decades of history in shady practices and shafting artists out of their just due where we don't find out about it until years or more later. While the Writer's Strike was probably the first time many of us even heard about AI scripts being a possibility, it's obviously been a concern in the industry for longer as it was one of the reasons for the strike. Just because the writers got some solid protections regarding AI doesn't mean the studios aren't going to keep working on and refining the concept for down the road. As it is, it's pretty easy to set up someone to be the 'face' for a script and who better than guys who already have a reputation for writing crappy scripts.

I still stand with what I said in my wall of text post even if it makes some here in thread think less of me or my points as some nutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The appropriate compromise is to see Late Night with the Devil, but also send the directors a big bag of your feces, because even if it's poo poo, at least it was made by a human.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

All I have is it's Hollywood. It's got decades of history in shady practices and shafting artists out of their just due where we don't find out about it until years or more later. While the Writer's Strike was probably the first time many of us even heard about AI scripts being a possibility, it's obviously been a concern in the industry for longer as it was one of the reasons for the strike. Just because the writers got some solid protections regarding AI doesn't mean the studios aren't going to keep working on and refining the concept for down the road. As it is, it's pretty easy to set up someone to be the 'face' for a script and who better than guys who already have a reputation for writing crappy scripts.

I still stand with what I said in my wall of text post even if it makes some here in thread think less of me or my points as some nutter.

I think youre post was probably the most reasonable and realistic take on it, especially from someone inside the theater industry you have insight into a lot of things I hadn't considered. I'm certainly a "im going to boycott something I know or think has AI in it", but your post gave me some interesting things to chew on (and a little hope, I was happy to hear your work got rid of kiosks and I hope they dont come back).

I think at the end of the day, I do have faith in "people want things made by other humans". I think I'm more concerned/frustrated at the economic/theft/job security side; im not an artist myself but my siblings are artists and writers and I know its scary for them right now.

Anyway M_Sin, I appreciated your post and I dont think anyone here thinks less of you. I do think you should have stated "I strongly suspect Madame Web was written or partially written by AI" rather than state it as fact, but overall I enjoyed reading your post and hope your not discouraged from doing so again in the future.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watched Madam Web with a group of people to riff on it and it's so unbelievably boring that it had to be written by AI. There wasn't anything to make fun of, it just played out like an AI TikTok narration.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, it's not even funny-bad, it's just really loving dull.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I was told madame web was dynamic! (by the press junket talking points)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Madame Web doesn't feel like AI writing at all, it feels like (and is) the product of a script written and rewritten to death by five credited writers. The director also wrote for Jessica Jones and Defenders and a lot of the tone and the delivery of the jokes matches her previous work.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

tickets purchased for Immaculate tomorrow. I really want to see the Longlegs trailer in theaters so I hope its attached at the front. That cuckoo trailer was way better in theaters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i still think this was the test case to see if an AI could write a movie top to bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The appropriate compromise is to see Late Night with the Devil, but also send the directors a big bag of your feces, because even if it's poo poo, at least it was made by a human.

This.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think if any tests for machine learning scripts are happening in low budget nonsense if they're not entirely relegated to scripting at this stage, so yeah, Plane seems more likely than Madame Web.

AI scripting is as much about cracking the formula to film creation, so as to induce reliable returns, as it is about reducing costs. The motivation is to save money. You don't test that on a tentpole production.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

or do you?? :o

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think I liked Plane but I can barely remember anything about the plot...some kind of assassination? No gently caress that's Red Eye...

It's all starting to come back to me now but kind of a bland movie in retrospect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

weekly font posted:

If I had a nickel for every beloved member of the Beetlejuice cast who was or is in serious legal trouble I’d have ten cents but it’s unfortunate for the lovely nostalgia grab that it happened twice

Winona Ryder did nothing wrong.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I assume the critics already made every joke possible about "it's a synonym for flat/sounds like the word for bland" possible

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Very much a Spinal Tap - Shark Sandwich level of teeing up the easy joke for the critics.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

Winona Ryder did nothing wrong.

I assume he meant Jones for the whole kid thing and Baldwin for murdering that lady.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I assume he meant Jones for the whole kid thing and Baldwin for murdering that lady.

Gina Davis was really sandbagging it in the Olympics too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I caught a matinee of Immaculate, it was solid. Fun ending. Mercifully under 90 minutes. Decent addition to the "American visiting Europe" genre of horror alongside Watcher, Don't Look Now, etc. and of course very much Catholic horror.
It'll hit a lot of horror notes for people, I'm just usually less into horror that orients so hard around jump scares and French New Extremity style torture/Gore but I don't regret seeing it. Sort of like a warm up before First Omen comes out. And hey it cost moviepass like 20 bucks somehow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Like if I were still that 16 year old hunting down Gaspar Noe movies, into Calvaire, inexplicably into Sheitan, and trying to get Netflix to deliver a copy of Martyrs to me I'd probably think Immaculate rips.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New Chucky trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ48AHjecIs

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Late Night with the Devil is great. Nothing groundbreaking in plot but the execution is great be it the acting, the characters, or the 70s feel. The James Randi skeptic guy was my personal favorite but they pack a massive amount of character development into this without sacrificing tension and some great gore.

On to the AI. The credits list someone as like “cartoon graphics by:” or something like that. This is all conjecture but I assume this person made the AI graphics. They stick out like a sore thumb in the movie and look like poo poo. It’s the skeleton; there’s a cartoon owl on a TV, and there’s a glowing owl in the corner of a room. All bad, all on screen for a combined total of maybe 30 seconds.

My assumption is this credited person made these in AI, they made it into the final movie, and one of two things was up:

1) he didn’t tell anyone he used AI and, at the time, nobody thought to ask
2) he told them he used AI, at the time there wasn’t as much concern over AI taking work away from artists (and, at least in this case, it seems like an actual artist just used AI)

They absolutely should take this out of the movie and replace it. But there are no short cuts anywhere else in the movie. They had a drat worm wrangler, there are puppets, there’s practical gore and grossness and creatures beyond what I expected.

I 100% understand if those images are a dealbreaker. But, to me, I think the movie deserves the benefit of the doubt here. I think it was a lovely decision made by someone who didn’t know any better at the time, not a malicious thing done to save money and take work away from someone.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tell me more about this worm wrangler

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

His name is Muad'dib.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Seriously just go see it. The worms are a delightful surprise.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seriously just go see it. The worms are a delightful surprise.

no, im interested in worm wrangling not the movie

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Kvlt! posted:

There are a a lot of worms, enough that you would indeed need a wrangler for them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

There are a a lot of worms, enough that you would indeed need a wrangler for them.

do you need to go to worm wrangling school or is amateur experience accepted

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

do you need to go to worm wrangling school or is amateur experience accepted

Is it hard to use the tiny little lasso

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gonna be real honest I wanna know more about the worm wrangler as well. Seems like it'd be a very niche job.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

I'm still gonna watch the movie. But if the creators are opposed to paying for things, who am I to blow against the wind?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Immaculate, which was ridiculous and gross and fun. Not as good a nunsploitation movie as Benedetta IMO, but man, that Sydney Sweeney sure can scream!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A Fancy Hat posted:

My assumption is this credited person made these in AI, they made it into the final movie, and one of two things was up:

This makes a lot of sense given the timetable. It reminds me of those Evil Uno AEW Games shirts that were obviously AI but were credited to an actual artist and came out just before the major ethical conversation surrounding it all started.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rageaholic posted:

Saw Immaculate, which was ridiculous and gross and fun. Not as good a nunsploitation movie as Benedetta IMO, but man, that Sydney Sweeney sure can scream!

I’d tell you to go back and watch her in The Ward but I don’t even wish that on my worst enemies.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

drat I missed the news but RIP M Emmet Walsh, what a powerhouse of a character actor. Loren Visser forever

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh hi john waters, again

lol im so hype for this. i never want to get off nica and tiffany's wild ride

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Wow, Immaculate was way better than I could have expected. Wasn't previously too impressed with Sweeney's acting (although nobody did well in Madame Web) but she wasn't just stunt casting but a real asset. Also, great setting and well photographed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It might have been my screen, but I thought some of the shots were too dark. Others looked really good.

Same with Sweeney. Sometimes I thought she was really effective, basically whenever she has to play variations on anxiety and terror, but some of the lighter moments popped too (this isn't a very funny film, but the jokes are nice when they turn up and they turned up slightly more than I figured they would). But a lot of the scenes early on when she's just getting her feet under her, not so great.

The mean nun was really good though. I wanted more of her.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I was gonna pass on Immaculate since I find Scary Nun and spooky Catholicism kinda of boring and overdone but every reviewer and person I’ve seen talking about it all say it’s actually a decent film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah it wasn't really hitting the kind of horror notes I like but it was definitely hitting other ones that work for other horror fans. It doesn't waste your time and hey I was just happy to have the opportunity to see a movie in theaters that wasn't like marvel/Pixar/Christian (the new American identity, MPC)
Well it's set in a convent obv but I think yall know i mean Christian film industry stuff

Rageaholic posted:

Benedetta truly is wonderful. Her angry God voice is so good.

BLASPHÈME!!!!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 23, 2024