Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speleothing posted:

Name it "mistake"

But he’s got a son already???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

cruft posted:

He wants to name it "casper" which I think is lame and unimaginative. Any suggestions from the live studio audience?

"Moby", works as either the musician or the whale.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Dead Fish - a reference to what they look like

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“Whitey Bulge”

“Klansman’s Choice”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Just got the FSD beta 12 software and went for a drive after work. (The end-to-end AI release.)

This is legitimately the first one that they should have let out of the lab. It’s not perfect, but most of FSD’s previous worst foibles are corrected. It isn’t steaming dogshit at lane selection anymore, it can actually properly control vehicle speed instead of swinging unpredictably from 15 under to twenty over, and phantom braking seems to be far better (nearly nonexistent) thus far. It’s also far better at merging into a lane with traffic in it than it used to be.

New issue though; They trained it on humans, so it centers the driver’s position in the lane like a doofus and hugs the right lane limit, it goes around corners like a grandma driving a tuk-tuk full of priceless bone china, and it’ll punch it off the line to 40mph in a 50 zone, trail off to ~35 and then finally, agonizingly, slowly accelerate to the set speed.

If you drove it around Miami at rush hour, literally no one would be able to tell it wasn’t just a typical awful Miami driver.

I feel like I’ve read stuff like this (not from you but on Twitter etc) numerous times before and it makes me think that FSD maybe got a little better but essentially it just “got lucky” for one or two drives in terms of the conditions it faced and will start doing dogshit stuff again soon, probably the next drive.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Even if they might not be the best of the best, us-biased electric car/branding rankings always leave out the Stellantis electric cars, which are decent albeit a tad pricy. If you don't want to buy a tiny or huge car, they currently have the B-segment pretty much locked down with the their corsa/208/c4 or the slightly bigger mokka/2008/c4x/ds3/avenger/600e/ypsilon.

I forget about them too since I never see any on the road here. I think e.g. the Mokka has a hard time finding an audience since you could get a Kona for less and it gives you like 30-40% more range.

Realized now I left the Kia/Hyundai vehicles out. I like them (I own a Niro EV and a Sorento PHEV) and I think they are overall damned nice vehicles for the money. They are pretty popular here, partially due to the generous warranties.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

Dad is coming by in the next hour in the LEAF, which we will take to the Tesla service center so he can pick up his white model Y with white seats. I still feel like there's a 20% chance he'll nope out of this somehow, my wife has it at 40%.

He wants to name it "casper" which I think is lame and unimaginative. Any suggestions from the live studio audience?

Does your dad use the horn a lot?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh yeah MX-30, not CX-30. I don’t understand their naming conventions there. In Canada I think we got a lot more of them as there are quite a few around but man they look horrible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Finger Prince posted:

Does your dad use the horn a lot?

I know where you’re going and I held back.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A Tesla Named Honky, starring Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando, coming to a theatre near you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

bird with big dick posted:

I feel like I’ve read stuff like this (not from you but on Twitter etc) numerous times before and it makes me think that FSD maybe got a little better but essentially it just “got lucky” for one or two drives in terms of the conditions it faced and will start doing dogshit stuff again soon, probably the next drive.

I can't understand how anyone rational would put their life info the hands of "FSD" software.

priznat posted:

Oh yeah MX-30, not CX-30. I don’t understand their naming conventions there. In Canada I think we got a lot more of them as there are quite a few around but man they look horrible.

Fun fact, you have to open the front door in order to open the rear door.

quote:

On both sides of the MX-30, there are reverse hinge-style doors similar to those that used to grace the now-discontinued four-door Hyundai Veloster. In order to open the rear doors and access the small back seat space, you need to first open the front door, then open the rear half door. There’s no quick and easy way around this, which means that tossing something into the back seats requires opening two doors instead of one.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I prefer Mazda being stupid in a good way

Like make some kind of EV version of a rotary engine, Mazda. Electric motors kind of already are so they’ll make an EV that has pistons somehow.

Nov 6, 2002

Like this?

quote:

Mazda has found a unique solution to the MX-30 EV's short driving range, and it involves the company's first rotary engine since the RX-8 sports car. The new Mazda MX-30 e-Skyactiv R-EV is a plug-in hybrid with a small single-rotary gasoline engine that serves as a generator to charge the battery pack and allow for longer drives.

Mazda reduced the size of the lithium-ion battery pack, as the R-EV has a 17.8 kWh lithium-ion pack compared with the EV version's approximately 32.0-kWh pack. This allows it to go a measly 53 miles on a charge per the WLTP. But when the battery is depleted, the 830-cc 74-hp rotary engine kicks in to supply charge while on the move. The Mazda's 13-gallon fuel tank is larger than other such "range-extender" setups including the BMW i3 and Chevy Volt, but Mazda hasn't provided a longer range estimate that includes the gasoline engine's range boost.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lol ah yeah that’s the stuff. God they love rotaries the huge weirdos

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

But he’s got a son already???

LOL

So far, he likes it. He insisted I drive it up and down the street before he did, so I could listen for any rattles. It had none, quieter than our Model 3, which I already thought was pretty quiet.

In fairness to the 3, it sounds like there's a lot more insulation in the Y. It's making the same sounds, I just can't hear them as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

priznat posted:

lol ah yeah that’s the stuff. God they love rotaries the huge weirdos

I’m not saying it’s a GOOD idea, but a Wankel will perform much better as a range extender, than directly hooked to a transmission driving wheels. It could be good.

I just got my first Mazda about a year ago, a new CX-50 since there wasn’t an EV that I could afford, that gave me what I wanted. I had to talk myself out of pushing my budget up for an Ioniq5, which I really wanted.

I will, uh, not be buying another one when it’s time to replace this one. Mostly due to incredibly dumb feature design decisions, and poor execution of a lot of stuff. It drives great, feels good, was reasonably priced, but there’s dozens of things that are all B or C-tier complaints that just add up to be maddening.

Mazda EV is gonna be a hard no for me.

Nov 6, 2002

The CX-50 is made in Alabama by Toyota and the interior reflects that. It's a much different feeling product than the Mazda models manufactured in Japan which have more premium touches.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
eh either you’re a Mazda person or you’re not IMO

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The CX-50 is made in Alabama by Toyota and the interior reflects that. It's a much different feeling product than the Mazda models manufactured in Japan which have more premium touches.

It feels quite premium. The leather is great, really nice accent stitching, all good materials, feels very solid. How it drives, how it looks inside and outside are great. It’s feature designs that are most of my problems.

Automatic wipers wait too long before wiping
Auto dimming headlights wait waayyy too long before turning off brights
Apple CarPlay integration has some mind-bogglingly bad paths between CarPlay and native Mazda app
Door hold open points are only 6 inches wide, and completely all the way open, not at a normal person in parking lot getting into car, point
Auto lock on walking away works only 90% of the time, which makes it 100% useless
Speed limit monitoring doesn’t know the difference between limit signs and highway signs, so it thinks that the speed limit is 45 on Highway 45
Seatbelt warning dings even while car is in park
CarPlay only reconnects automatically about 30% of the time, so have to manually reconnect most times
360/Backup camera view stays on until you exceed 10mph driving forward
Climate control seems waayyy off. No matter the ambient temp, 71f setting is swelteringly hot, 70f is comfortable

Stuff like this. I could go on for an hour.

Shoulda bought an Ioniq5!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Anaheim has a fleet of BYD electric busses. Maybe the import taxes are less for commercial vehicles.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah it looks interesting but maybe wait a couple years. They seem to be going more luxe than usual Mazda as well!

Honestly kind of surprised Mazda is pretty slow on going with full EVs, the CX-30 is just the tiniest of toe dips and seems pretty bad.

Mazda is a tiny company and doesn’t have the money to develop EVs, same with Subaru. That’s why it’s all going to be Toyota partnerships, wouldn’t be surprised if Toyota majority owns both Subaru and Mazda in a decade (already minority stake).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I forget about them too since I never see any on the road here. I think e.g. the Mokka has a hard time finding an audience since you could get a Kona for less and it gives you like 30-40% more range.

Realized now I left the Kia/Hyundai vehicles out. I like them (I own a Niro EV and a Sorento PHEV) and I think they are overall damned nice vehicles for the money. They are pretty popular here, partially due to the generous warranties.

Here konas are more rare than stellantis products, even with the better warranties, since the kia/hyundai dealer experience is the same for high end electrics and bottom of the barrel city cars.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 22, 2024

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Here konas are more rare than stellantis products, even with the better warranties, since the kia/hyundai dealer experience is the same for high end electrics and bottom of the barrel city cars.

Yeah, I heard from some US friends and noticed when I visited a Kia dealer while there that it's an issue. It's a shame.

The 2024 Kona is a lot of EV for the money, probably the cheapest option here in that size category. Not entirely sure on the facelift design though, getting some Fiat Multipla vibes.

Nov 6, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

It feels quite premium. The leather is great, really nice accent stitching, all good materials, feels very solid. How it drives, how it looks inside and outside are great. It’s feature designs that are most of my problems.

Automatic wipers wait too long before wiping
Auto dimming headlights wait waayyy too long before turning off brights
Apple CarPlay integration has some mind-bogglingly bad paths between CarPlay and native Mazda app
Door hold open points are only 6 inches wide, and completely all the way open, not at a normal person in parking lot getting into car, point
Auto lock on walking away works only 90% of the time, which makes it 100% useless
Speed limit monitoring doesn’t know the difference between limit signs and highway signs, so it thinks that the speed limit is 45 on Highway 45
Seatbelt warning dings even while car is in park
CarPlay only reconnects automatically about 30% of the time, so have to manually reconnect most times
360/Backup camera view stays on until you exceed 10mph driving forward
Climate control seems waayyy off. No matter the ambient temp, 71f setting is swelteringly hot, 70f is comfortable

Stuff like this. I could go on for an hour.

Shoulda bought an Ioniq5!

I've got a CX-9 and I know what you're talking about with autolock...

The problem is a function of you being too far away from the car before it can confirm that the key is indeed outside of the car. The detection range around the vehicle to determine that the key is nearby is limited and not evenly distributed - really only 2 or 3 feet. If you are outside this range when you close the door (which is when the system activates and starts looking for the key) - let's say you fling it shut with your arm extended while standing away from the car - it ain't gonna work. Also, a passenger opening their door while you are in the process of going out of range will interfere with it as well.

Basically stay within a couple feet until the last door is closed.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, no Chinese cars in the states. Kind of a shame, as some of them seem pretty compelling.

No Chinese brands in the states. Chinese built cars (like the Buick Envision) are already sold here.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They should have brought the Buick-branded Bolt EUV over. That car punches way above its weight with features. Make the premium package standard, add some decor embellishments, call it a day.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

LOL

So far, he likes it. He insisted I drive it up and down the street before he did, so I could listen for any rattles. It had none, quieter than our Model 3, which I already thought was pretty quiet.

In fairness to the 3, it sounds like there's a lot more insulation in the Y. It's making the same sounds, I just can't hear them as well.

Your dad looks pretty dapper and fit for his age is he single

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

McPhearson posted:

Anaheim has a fleet of BYD electric busses. Maybe the import taxes are less for commercial vehicles.

those are manufactured at the BYD plant in Lancaster, California. No importation except maybe the batteries.

Wayne Knight posted:

They should have brought the Buick-branded Bolt EUV over. That car punches way above its weight with features. Make the premium package standard, add some decor embellishments, call it a day.

They should bring whatever this thing is that I snapped a photo of over in Shanghai, best looking Buick I've ever seen in person.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 22, 2024

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Edit: wrong thread

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Yes, it’s a hybrid but it has cool EV mode graphics that I have to figure out. Along with all the other gadgets and gizmos.

Behold De Blue Frawwwg

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i liked mazda's idea of using a single-rotor wankel as a range extender. its got some advantages in that application and also it's just kinda nice to see mazda keeping it weird, or trying to at least

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

i liked mazda's idea of using a single-rotor wankel as a range extender. its got some advantages in that application and also it's just kinda nice to see mazda keeping it weird, or trying to at least

https://newsroom.mazda.com/en/technology/1425/index.html
:shepface:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Yes, it’s a hybrid but it has cool EV mode graphics that I have to figure out. Along with all the other gadgets and gizmos.

Behold De Blue Frawwwg

Venza styling is really good imo. Nice going!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i mean, you can run a gas engine on propane, makes sense you could do it with hydrogen.

a multifuel range extending wankel rotory engine, and a partridge in a pear tree

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

eh either you’re a Mazda person or you’re not IMO

We're in the middle of fool's spring, so my 1999 MX5 is still consigned to the basement garage :smith:

Mazda has some special sauce in their cars, they're a lot more fun and engaging to drive than comparable cars from other brands, at least in my experience.

I wish they would make an electric Mazda3. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, you can run a gas engine on propane, makes sense you could do it with hydrogen.

a multifuel range extending wankel rotory engine, and a partridge in a pear tree

You can run an ICE engine on almost any flammable liquid or gas. Propane, Methanol, Alcohol, Hydrogen, Methane, Kerosene, etc, etc. There is a video on youtube where a guy made a lawnmower engine run briefly on wood smoke/fumes. How long it will run, or how well it will run is something else entirely, but basically if it atomizes and burns at normal atmosphere pressure and temperature, you can make an ICE engine run on it.

Sort of like if you wired up enough potatoes you could charge and power an EV from them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Indiana_Krom posted:

You can run an ICE engine on almost any flammable liquid or gas. Propane, Methanol, Alcohol, Hydrogen, Methane, Kerosene, etc, etc. There is a video on youtube where a guy made a lawnmower engine run briefly on wood smoke/fumes. How long it will run, or how well it will run is something else entirely, but basically if it atomizes and burns at normal atmosphere pressure and temperature, you can make an ICE engine run on it.

Wood gas cars are a hobby with long history. Interestingly, one of Finland's previous prime ministers has built a wood gas El Camino.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saukkis posted:

Wood gas cars are a hobby with long history. Interestingly, one of Finland's previous prime ministers has built a wood gas El Camino.

lol this is wild, good stuff

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Sort of like if you wired up enough potatoes you could charge and power an EV from them.

right, but my point was that a gasoline engine can run on propane essentially unmodified. hydrogen is even less picky than propane, i think it's flammable concentration in air ranges from like 8% to 96%. you could probably run a gasoline engine on hydrogen unmodified too. you can run a combustion engine on asphalt with enough infrastructure, but that wasn't my point

e: mazda's sour bunker fuel-burning 900cc range extender. make sure to fire up the staged pre-heaters at least eight hours in advance

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Saukkis posted:

My Summer Car irl