Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I use clothes shelves from whatever mod eventually replaced Extended Storage, for overflow work clothes and for un-assigned combat gear. You do need enough mufti storage to hold everyone’s outfits, which means a lot of empty storage when a fight isn’t on.

You need pretty tight restrictions on those shelves so that they don’t get stuffed full of miscellaneous clothes between fights, and as part of that I have a standard outfit (button down, duster, a particular kind of hat, pants) for the pawns, so I don’t have to worry about allowing multiple shirt or jacket types in the ready room.

If you’ve been using dye to let people rock their favorite colors, outfits are going to wind up scrambled and you’ll have to have them dye their new clothes as well, after the recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Normally I don't care much, but doing a medieval-era playthrough (in a cold area) I'm having difficulty with outfits myself. The speed penalty and lack of insulation is becoming a problem, what is the "best" solution to this for outfit management?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Killing everything that moves and making parkas and toques

:black101:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Signal posted:

Normally I don't care much, but doing a medieval-era playthrough (in a cold area) I'm having difficulty with outfits myself. The speed penalty and lack of insulation is becoming a problem, what is the "best" solution to this for outfit management?

Armor Racks and carefully designed outfit permissions are how I handle it on my Medieval Overhaul runs. Can be a bit clunky but it works.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gold cube...

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've been trying desperately to enjoy this game for the better part of a week but it seems hellbent on resisting fun every single step of the way. I've probably started 30+ colonies in that time and not a single one has lasted more than a year.

The big problem is animal attacks. It was funny seeing someone get mauled by a rabbit the first time, but it got real fuckin old after the dozenth time on a single playthrough. It's probably been my leading cause of colony collapse and I'm really struggling to prevent it.

So far my main take away is that guns are completely useless and are best off being melted down for something scrap. They have a fire rate that can be measured in eons, an accuracy measured in fractions of a percent, and are a guaranteed death sentence if the person holding it gets into melee range. I think I might rush plate armor and give everyone clubs on my next run so they can have a fighting chance against whatever animal is going to be attacking them in 5 minutes.

I just want to see some funny evil poo poo happen without needing a die roll to see if the game will let me play it this time.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Jabarto posted:

I've been trying desperately to enjoy this game for the better part of a week but it seems hellbent on resisting fun every single step of the way. I've probably started 30+ colonies in that time and not a single one has lasted more than a year.

The big problem is animal attacks. It was funny seeing someone get mauled by a rabbit the first time, but it got real fuckin old after the dozenth time on a single playthrough. It's probably been my leading cause of colony collapse and I'm really struggling to prevent it.

So far my main take away is that guns are completely useless and are best off being melted down for something scrap. They have a fire rate that can be measured in eons, an accuracy measured in fractions of a percent, and are a guaranteed death sentence if the person holding it gets into melee range. I think I might rush plate armor and give everyone clubs on my next run so they can have a fighting chance against whatever animal is going to be attacking them in 5 minutes.

I just want to see some funny evil poo poo happen without needing a die roll to see if the game will let me play it this time.

there is no shame in turning down the storyteller difficulty. there's no time limit to the game- just keep it on peaceful or base builder until you feel you can handle bigger threats.

guns get exponentially worse the lower a pawn's shooting skill is. and you're right, you're in trouble if your target closes to melee range. you start with a plasteel knife by default though so try to micro your melee pawn to intervene. and also with a ranged pawn selected you can right click an enemy and force them to engage in melee with the gun as a weapon (ie pistol whipping them). it's not super effective but it's better than the default 'do absolutely nothing'

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 22, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

animals normally struggle to open doors. an initial perimeter wall and some doors that can be held open for traders will do well if you get an unmanageable cohort of beasts. a long corridor full of traps will also help

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Traps are the way to go for early animal attacks. I usually do solo naked tribal starts, because, I dunno, I like seeing my one guy die of plague after two months, but animal attacks are usually pretty easily dealt with by building your first building with two doors on opposite sides, and putting a couple of traps adjacent to each door (not in the doorway, but next to it, diagonally). Then when an animal comes, I run the dude into shelter, and pop out the other side's door, and the animal will usually hug the wall coming around and hit a trap or two. Usually three or four traps will kill anything. Bunnies/squirrels/rats, one trap will do it, but it's safest to have multiples out there at all times in case something bigger (or a person) attacks.

If I have time/wood, I will just litter the area with traps. They can be moved later to the real entrance when a real base is set up, no biggie to have dozens all over the place.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jabarto posted:

There are ways to avoid animal attacks.

First, don't hunt or shoot anything that might fight back. This is probably not your issue, but I figured I'd mention it. There should be a "revenge" % chance on the hunting screen. Just don't risk it if it's not 0%.

If you are getting a manhunter pack or even an individual mad animal, you can simply close your doors. Once your pawns are inside you can forbid the doors to make sure no one goes out. The animals might hit a door a few times if they see a pawn go through it, but you can just repair it while it's being attacked, and otherwise just sit inside until the animal or animal pack calms down.

Occasionally a predator starts hunting one of your pawns for food. This is hard to prevent, but you can use zones to make sure your pawns don't go too far from your base, and you can get all your pawns together to fight the predator at once if you notice one hanging out by your base.

Especially at the start the rate of fire of guns can be pretty low, and your accuracy can be bad for low skill pawns. This can eventually be made up for with mass fire tactics- Just get a ton of people shooting and one of them is bound to hit something.

Good luck and keep at it if you're still up for trying again! Losing is fun, but not losing over and over in the same way. Everything in this game can be dealt with with the right tactics, so keep asking if you run into seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

thunderspanks posted:

there is no shame in turning down the storyteller difficulty. there's no time limit to the game- just keep it on peaceful or base builder until you feel you can handle bigger threats.

guns get exponentially worse the lower a pawn's shooting skill is. and you're right, you're in trouble if your target closes to melee range. you start with a plasteel knife by default though so try to micro your melee pawn to intervene. and also with a ranged pawn selected you can right click an enemy and force them to engage in melee with the gun as a weapon (ie pistol whipping them). it's not super effective but it's better than the default 'do absolutely nothing'

the skill factor is also multiplied by the fact that low-quality guns are kinda trash. but yea the main thing is having designated melee pawn(s) out front to engage the enemy and block the doorway/etc so your shooters can keep shooting uninterrupted.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Jabarto posted:

the game aggressively punishes you for doing well, so if you grow a lot of food or collect a lot of loot you will attract bigger, better-armed raids. as other folks have pointed out it's totally okay to lower your difficulty (you can do this after starting in Options / Gameplay / Storyteller settings) and possibly disable the wealth/difficulty mechanic.

guns are fine, re: animal retaliation while hunting there is a super non-obvious mechanic that checks the shooter's Animal's skill every shot vs. the target's chance to get angry. longer range guns work better for this, and you can/should also pick your targets more selectively by looking at the Wildlife UI tab and just hunting animals that have a minimal/zero chance to attack when harmed. if you are on one of the harsher maps that has few of these, try temperate or boreal forest or jungle instead until you get some things figured out.

you have correctly surmised that armor is really powerful, but it's going to take a lot of time and resources and skilled labor to make. you are going to need defenses before this, consider traps (even wooden traps).

getting more people is immensely helpful for all sorts of reasons but especially for handling and recovering from combat.

silentsnack posted:

the skill factor is also multiplied by the fact that low-quality guns are kinda trash. but yea the main thing is having designated melee pawn(s) out front to engage the enemy and block the doorway/etc so your shooters can keep shooting uninterrupted.

protip: if you have your shooters placed directly behind the melee front line, there is no risk of friendly fire. also if you want to you can just disable friendly fire in difficult settings

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
also sounds like op is not rolling pawns until hitting some guys with a decent amount of melee or shooting skill. in addition to adding a couple of traps in a hallway outside of your entrance, you also really want to get weapons for people asap. quality on weapon matters a lot. get melee guys at least clubs asap and something better as soon as you have the tech. bows actually out perform lovely guns, which is important to keep in mind. in most cases you want your guys to be set to defend themselves when attacked and if a threat appears instantly draft your other pawns and have them head over to help. if you're on a biome with large predatory animals (which is one of the main dangers of many biomes) you have to be very aware of manhunter animals or the notification that a pawn is being hunted by a predator.

if you get a manhunter pack, yeah just stay inside your doors. even a pack of manhunter squirrels can kill a colony.

lastly, i wouldn't turn the difficulty up that high if you're brand new. the harder difficulties really expect you to know the game systems otherwise they'll just shitstomp all of your colonies

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Keep in mind you can adjust difficulty on the fly, if you have a pretty good roll going and you think it's getting too easy you can turn it up without restarting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Signal posted:

Lots of fires. The effects of the cold is temporary and you can put a fireplace inside a building.

For outfits, your best bet is heavy fur tribal wear which keep you warm all the way down to -20F, with heavy fur tuques

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Tribalwear

A tribal headdress is also a little extra insulation than a veil, but those are helpful (a bit). If you're ever able to down a megasloth, that's basically the best insulating textile, followed by alpaca/muffalo

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

protip: if you have your shooters placed directly behind the melee front line, there is no risk of friendly fire. also if you want to you can just disable friendly fire in difficult settings

Isn’t the friendly fire radius much bigger than one tile? There was an Adam vs. Whatever video about it and I’m sure it was like a 5+ tile radius around a pawn in all directions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there's also the vanilla parka, which is Neolithic tech level but can't be crafted until you research Complex Clothing because basically Tynan made tribals to be helpless morons, so I made a simple mod that adds the parka recipe to the crafting spot:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878204210

Red_Fred posted:

Isn’t the friendly fire radius much bigger than one tile? There was an Adam vs. Whatever video about it and I’m sure it was like a 5+ tile radius around a pawn in all directions.
not exactly, it's actually more generous than I thought:
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Combat#Friendly_fire

quote:

First, there is radius of immunity around the shooter in which friendly targets cannot be hit by missed attacks at all. Colonists can shoot over the shoulders of allies up to 5 tiles away from them, but any further and they may be hit.
e: so apparently you can have a single rank of melee blocking for 4 ranks of shooters, which is extremely forgiving
e: oh that's what you said

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2024

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Red_Fred posted:

It's at least three I know that for sure

Whoops beaten

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

apparently that was implemented way back in A18 and I just didn't notice it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All it takes is one accidental friendly fire to get extremely paranoid about doing it again and making drat sure it never happens

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Does anyone know if the VE Tribal storyteller is hooked up to wealth or is it constant scaling like Cassandra Classic

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
IIRC they're all basically variants of Cassandra except the pirate one who has a weird curse mechanic and is basically a really roundabout ad for the game they made

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The rimworld wiki is still funny:

Rimworld Wiki posted:

For use in furniture, its beauty factor, beaten only by thrumbofur and hyperweave, makes it a good choice for improving furniture beauty. However sourcing enough material to use this commonly will be difficult, as to gather enough fur for even a single armchair would require butchering of 8 chinchillas. You monster.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
how is it with so many mods out there no one has made a substantial improvement on randy

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Randy Randomer

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

how is it with so many mods out there no one has made a substantial improvement on randy

Well, what would you consider a substantial improvement?

SOS2 introduced Sara Spacer which coupled things to tech research. There's a bunch of other storytellers that I don't know anything about because they're part of some race or faction mod.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Maybe a storyteller which codifies the “long period of very little but meteorites and cargo pods, followed by overlapping raids and some serious weather events for seasoning” aspect of Randy that people like

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Thanks for the tips guys. The friendly fire thing is actually huge, because I've been keeping my ranged users spaced pretty far from the melee guy to avoid it, and thus probably ruining their aim. If I can make a choke point and shoot over a guy wearing a flak vest without fear, that's a huge game changer.

Since we're talking about it, is Randy still generally considered to be the only storyteller that isn't explicitly and constantly trying to kill you? I read that early on and found him a lot more natural and fun than Classic Lady.

Lastly, to lighten the mood, I'll share one of the game-overs that got a chuckle out of me. My doctor got critically injured by a lynx while gathering lumber, and when I sent another settler to help, THAT settler got mauled and critically wounded as well. My third guy had no medicine skill at all, so I had to order the near-dead doctor out of bed to save her rescuer, which apparently caused her to throw a tantrum and run around punching doors for about 5 seconds before collapsing from blood loss. They both died by nightfall.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LonsomeSon posted:

Maybe a storyteller which codifies the “long period of very little but meteorites and cargo pods, followed by overlapping raids and some serious weather events for seasoning” aspect of Randy that people like

explicit Calm Randy Season vs Dramatic Randy Season would be one way to do it, or just weight the outcomes to be more interesting so the "good" events don't give useless garbage as often, and the "bad" events are more threatening and less stupid/annoying/trivial?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What would be funny is some type of archotech building that your people worship that will let them know by how it feels what type of events - neutral, negative, or good - will happen in the next quadrum. You can change its mood by doing various things for it (shoving a bunch of yayo into the slot?) but sometimes that also doesn't work because it's an archotech.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the big positive about Randy Random is that it doesn't have an escalation plan that is designed to drive you out of your current settlement*

Randy is often not graceful in how he throws threats at you but they are always simply based on your current wealth plus/minus some random factors, rather than just a steady ramp. Note that there is an adaptation mechanic for all storyteller modes though so if you get beat up real bad by a given incident the game will ease up on you for a while. This is hard to appreciate but it can be examined if you install a mod that shows you the mechanics used for calculating each incident:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2562730174

* abandoning and resettling will reset this for the other two vanilla storytellers

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Adaptation is a neat idea but becomes a little too gamey once you learn the system and are willing to exploit it, like keeping a wimp around and beating their rear end every week. Randy has a built in random scaling factor anyways so I tone down the adaptation when using him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

isndl posted:

Adaptation is a neat idea but becomes a little too gamey once you learn the system and are willing to exploit it, like keeping a wimp around and beating their rear end every week. Randy has a built in random scaling factor anyways so I tone down the adaptation when using him.

proposal: a game where shipwrecked colonists survive long enough to build a new ship to escape the planet

reality: Goons have invented Omelas

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Eiba posted:

Occasionally a predator starts hunting one of your pawns for food. This is hard to prevent, but you can use zones to make sure your pawns don't go too far from your base, and you can get all your pawns together to fight the predator at once if you notice one hanging out by your base.

The solution is murder.

I do weekly (or so) cullings of the map once I have even half-decent weapons. Anything with a predator marker dies as 6+ colonists gang beat it. They can't hunt you if they're fine meals and dusters.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Eiba posted:

Low-key the predator attacks are the one attack event that I'd consider disabling. Unlike basically every other kind of enemy, they will keep attacking pawns even after they're downed, so they're extremely lethal. It's not like they're not preventable if you're paying attention, but it's really annoying having to clear the predators out preemptively every year, compared to the much simpler precautions needed for any other bad event. Even the widely hated events like drop pod raids or infestations just need you to plan the base layout around them beforehand.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

oof, I think I hosed my colony. I accepted a quest that would send 2 tribal raids at me, but either it didn't say or I didn't notice that they would both be sapper raids. So now I get 30 something tribals that just start un-building my base. I can't choke point them anywhere because they break through in 3 or 4 places, and they spawn on the edge of my map that my base is closest to and get to my outer walls before my pawns can make it there. I've reloaded a bunch of times, but it's just too much micro. (Why do drafted melees just stand there when they kill something? Go target something else!) and I can't do it without losing a couple pawns, a bunch of livestock and a bunch of walls.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arcvasti posted:

Low-key the predator attacks are the one attack event that I'd consider disabling. Unlike basically every other kind of enemy, they will keep attacking pawns even after they're downed, so they're extremely lethal. It's not like they're not preventable if you're paying attention, but it's really annoying having to clear the predators out preemptively every year, compared to the much simpler precautions needed for any other bad event. Even the widely hated events like drop pod raids or infestations just need you to plan the base layout around them beforehand.

Yeah I despise predator attacks simply because there's no way to predict them other than constantly monitoring wildlife spawns. I've had full armored hunting pawns with charge lances lose easily to bears and cats so you can't even really AFK hunt them either.

On the flip side I'm doing a caveman playthrough right now with the prehistoric dino mod and it's funny watching pawns occasionally get snapped up by a dilapadon.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

A Moose posted:

a couple pawns, a bunch of livestock and a bunch of walls.

Sounds like a setback but only losing a couple of pawns is definitely not colony-ending. Try to keep going, this kind of setback can make the game interesting!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dead pawns is an opportunity for dramatic art on your high quality crafted equipment and furniture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Too much micro in a rtwp combat game? You need to brush up on your baldur's gate 1/2