Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I think I know what happened. Just hear me out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Gonna lol when we find out Shohei has been betting on baseball this whole time, but he's making ridiculous bets on himself like pitching a 9 immaculate inning, 27 K perfect game, or driving in 20 runs in a game.

The funniest option is that those were the kinds of bets, and it was with Shohei's money, but it was his mom placing the bets.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dameius posted:

The funniest option is that those were the kinds of bets, and it was with Shohei's money, but it was his mom placing the bets.

lol, true

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/j_steele21/status/1771286878655766547?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Steele rules lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He got hit in the bracket? What's the recovery time on that???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popete posted:

Hmmmm yes sure that's one theory.

Or Ohtani is a degenerate gambling freak who will stop at nothing to get his fix including forcing his best friend to take the fall under threat of having baseballs thrown at him (once his arm recovers)

Who do you think taught Joc Pederson pai gow

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:sweatdrop:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/alden_gonzalez/status/1771295991326527629?s=46

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Huge relief :sweatdrop:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The parallels with Tungsten Arm O’Doyle’s career trajectory continue to be eerie.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

gently caress YEAH IM GONNA SIT DOWN AND WAIT FOR THE FIREWORKS TO FLY

see yall in one hundred years

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jail

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bet over? Bet under? Straight to jail.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
This makes it pretty clear Ohtani had no idea what was going on.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39784809/dodgers-shohei-ohtani-mizuhara-theft-line

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I mean the question then is why/how did this guy access Ohtani's bank accounts, and how did Ohtani no know $4.5M was missing until all of this broke? I guess the answer to the second question is "between his MLB salaries and sponsorship deals he's worth hundreds of millions so it's a drop in the bucket" but like, I have to imagine he's got people who handle his finances for him and surely they would have twigged at a bunch of $500K "loans" getting wired to some shady randos?

idk again this all just feels like damage control to protect Ohtani. Would love to be wrong - I know the joke here is everybody hates him now because Dodgers but it would really suck for the sport if he was wrapped up in this crap - but "Ohtani's translator stole millions directly out of his bank account for months without anybody noticing until just now" doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This account from Ohtani’s team clearly exonerates Ohtani

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani and Ippei being so close it makes sense, Ohtani was probably paying for Ippei's expenses a lot of the time anyways.

But also, Ohtani is a degenerate gambler.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
or as he will be known from now on, Shoeless Sho

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mister Perky posted:

Shoeless Sho Sham! Shunts Serious Shame Skirting Scandal!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mister Perky posted:

:hmmyes:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I can't tell what's a serious post and what's shitposting anymore

pretty obvious it was a serious post

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1771334162714157263

:ok:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I appreciate that Craig apparently just likes Cooper. I also like him for no good reason.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's impossible for this to end with Shohei being outted as a gambler because that would mean Arte Moreno was right to not extend him. I'd buy it as possible if he were still an Angel

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Poque posted:

This account from Ohtani’s team clearly exonerates Ohtani

:hmmyes:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow that must be the end of the Pat Wisdom Era. RIP to P-Wizzy, a man who hit some of the biggest fuckin' dingers I've ever seen but also swings that hard at air more often.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They just signed Wisdom to a 1 year deal so maybe a platoon bat?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

They just signed Wisdom to a 1 year deal so maybe a platoon bat?

oh i missed that, i was too busy posting about our lord and savior boo buie

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

pretty obvious it was a serious post
seemed too absurd to be serious but perhaps we're getting some Dodgers Derangement Syndrome flare ups around SAS these days

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please no one get mad at me but i am going to post about shohei doing michael jordan-style gambling for the foreseeable future because it is very funny to mre

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

please no one get mad at me but i am going to post about shohei doing michael jordan-style gambling for the foreseeable future because it is very funny to mre

:yeshaha:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow that must be the end of the Pat Wisdom Era. RIP to P-Wizzy, a man who hit some of the biggest fuckin' dingers I've ever seen but also swings that hard at air more often.

Wisdom is hurt and opening the season on the IL. When he's healthy it's entirely possible he comes back and bumps Cooper.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This actually has a significant detail that is different in it's retelling of the first version of events.

Initially ESPN says that Ippei told them in his 90 minute interview that Ohtani agreed to cover his gambling debts but did not trust Ippei to not gamble the money away, and that's why he wired it directly to the bookie. But in this timeline ESPN says that Ippei told them in that 90 minute interview:

quote:

"I explained my situation," he says. "And obviously he wasn't happy about it, but he said he would help me."

Asked if Ohtani knew the person owed the money was a bookie, Mizuhara says his friend "didn't have any clue."

"I just told him I need to send a wire to pay off the debt," Mizuhara says. "He didn't ask if it was illegal, didn't question me about that."

So now we've got even ESPN changing their version of Ippei's changing story.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

More importantly, is Justin Steele actually OK or he is lying to cover for his bracket?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

More importantly, is Justin Steele actually OK or he is lying to cover for his bracket?

hes got a busted bracket will be out until next march

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Someone explained to Ohtani or his attorneys got wind of what was going on because sending money via wire to cover gambling debts is still a big deal felony.

I think the story that Ohtani knew what it was for, did it to help out his friend, and then realized what it was so he had to change his story makes the most sense. Even that has big holes like who the hell is giving a guy making $80k a year a $4.5 million line of credit?

Just the reality of Ippei being able to get himself in that deep seems weird. Maybe he's got more cash than we think and/or he used Ohtani's name to get some credit but it's all tough to square if you're at all suspicious.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Someone explained to Ohtani or his attorneys got wind of what was going on because sending money via wire to cover gambling debts is still a big deal felony.

It's this.

This is why the story is changing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think the story that Ohtani knew what it was for, did it to help out his friend, and then realized what it was so he had to change his story makes the most sense. Even that has big holes like who the hell is giving a guy making $80k a year a $4.5 million line of credit?

Just the reality of Ippei being able to get himself in that deep seems weird. Maybe he's got more cash than we think and/or he used Ohtani's name to get some credit but it's all tough to square if you're at all suspicious.
I agree it makes the most sense, but why is ESPN now changing their story on this?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This is what you get for not signing with the Cubs :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
80k a year seems really low for a job with that many hours and that much travel.