Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Like a dead neighbor, State Farm's not there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Not only that, but they are not writing any new fire/home policies at all in the entire state. Lots of angry independent contractors today working as State Farm agents.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://3rdworldfarmer.org/ this one?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

State farm just cancelled 72000 homeowners policies in California

I'm not owned I'm not owned

inching closer and closer and closer to the state guaranteeing either the profits or insulating the (re)insurance companies from the losses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

yeah that’s the one!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It'll be interesting when we run into the problem of there being state laws requiring homeowners to have insurance but no insurers willing to insure those homes, or at least not for anything approaching an affordable rate.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Remember: 'uninsurable' = 'uninhabitable'

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

bobtheconqueror posted:

It'll be interesting when we run into the problem of there being state laws requiring homeowners to have insurance but no insurers willing to insure those homes, or at least not for anything approaching an affordable rate.

You're describing south Florida circa 2022

My coworker just bought a house here and her premium was 30% her down payment

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Former Everything posted:

Not only that, but they are not writing any new fire/home policies at all in the entire state. Lots of angry independent contractors today working as State Farm agents.

Thinking a lot lately about how capital is not just useless if it can't be mobilized to meet human needs, it's worse than useless because it will inevitably be mobilized to deprive humans of their needs instead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not overweight, I'm just carrying around 100 extra pounds of provisions for when the collapse comes

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
buddy we are all thankful for your sacrifice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Car Hater posted:

Like a dead neighbor, State Farm's not there!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Protagonist posted:

Remember: 'uninsurable' = 'uninhabitable'

The entire point of neoliberalism is to ensure that nobody has to make hard decisions. nobody has to be the bad guy. It’s not like a government official is gonna walk into your house and say “you can’t live here anymore because climate change has caused the area to have devastating floods every six months.” instead, vague incomprehensible systems are making related decisions that end with the same result. in this case it’s insurance. They didn’t say you have to leave, no one is forcing you to. But also, You know it’s gonna be gone as soon as the disaster hits.

if you really didn’t believe in climate change, then you wouldn’t believe disasters are going to happen, so go ahead and live there. it’s all up to the individual. thanks neoliberalism!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RandomBlue posted:

Aright, I can touch computers, now we just need the rest of the skills for the goon compound. The signup sheet is posted on the fridge.

If we're doing team captains I pick LuxuryLarva

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

The entire point of neoliberalism is to ensure that nobody has to make hard decisions. nobody has to be the bad guy. It’s not like a government official is gonna walk into your house and say “you can’t live here anymore because climate change has caused the area to have devastating floods every six months.” instead, vague incomprehensible systems are making related decisions that end with the same result. in this case it’s insurance. They didn’t say you have to leave, no one is forcing you to. But also, You know it’s gonna be gone as soon as the disaster hits.

if you really didn’t believe in climate change, then you wouldn’t believe disasters are going to happen, so go ahead and live there. it’s all up to the individual. thanks neoliberalism!

market based solutions means no one is responsible when you become a homeless climate refugee

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Mar 23, 2024

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

The Oldest Man posted:

State farm just cancelled 72000 homeowners policies in California

I'm not owned I'm not owned

Apparently, it's over 2% of the houses they cover in California which is huge--they are also the largest insurer in California.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

The owners of the land came onto the land, or more often a spokesman for the owners came. They came in closed cars, and they felt the dry earth with their fingers, and sometimes they drove big earth augers into the ground for soil tests. The tenants, from their sun-beaten dooryards, watched uneasily when the closed cars drove along the fields. And at last the owner men drove into the dooryards and sat in their cars to talk out of the windows. The tenant men stood beside the cars for a while, and then squatted on their hams and found sticks with which to mark the dust.

In the open doors the women stood looking out, and behind them the children—corn-headed children, with wide eyes, one bare foot on top of the other bare foot, and the toes working. The women and the children watched their men talking to the owner men. They were silent.

Some of the owner men were kind because they hated what they had to do, and some of them were angry because they hated to be cruel, and some of them were cold because they had long ago found that one could not be an owner unless one were cold. And all of them were caught in something larger than themselves. Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling. If a bank or a finance company owned the land, the owner man said, The Bank—or the Company—needs—wants—insists—must have—as though the Bank or the Company were a monster, with thought and feeling, which had ensnared them. These last would take no responsibility for the banks or the companies because they were men and slaves, while the banks were machines and masters all at the same time. Some of the owner men were a little proud to be slaves to such cold and powerful masters. The owner men sat in the cars and explained. You know the land is poor. You’ve scrabbled at it long enough, God knows.

The squatting tenant men nodded and wondered and drew figures in the dust, and yes, they knew, God knows. If the dust only wouldn’t fly. If the top would only stay on the soil, it might not be so bad.

The owner men went on leading to their point: You know the land’s getting poorer. You know what cotton does to the land; robs it, sucks all the blood out of it.

The squatters nodded—they knew, God knew. If they could only rotate the crops they might pump blood back into the land.

Well, it’s too late. And the owner men explained the workings and the thinkings of the monster that was stronger than they were. A man can hold land if he can just eat and pay taxes; he can do that.

Yes, he can do that until his crops fail one day and he has to borrow money from the bank.

But—you see, a bank or a company can’t do that, because those creatures don’t breathe air, don’t eat side-meat. They breathe profits; they eat the interest on money. If they don’t get it, they die the way you die without air, without sidemeat. It is a sad thing, but it is so. It is just so.

The squatting men raised their eyes to understand. Can’t we just hang on? Maybe the next year will be a good year. God knows how much cotton next year. And with all the wars—God knows what price cotton will bring. Don’t they make explosives out of cotton? And uniforms? Get enough wars and cotton’ll hit the ceiling. Next year, maybe. They looked up questioningly.

We can’t depend on it. The bank—the monster has to have profits all the time. It can’t wait. It’ll die. No, taxes go on. When the monster stops growing, it dies. It can’t stay one size.

Soft fingers began to tap the sill of the car window, and hard fingers tightened on the restless drawing sticks. In the doorways of the sun-beaten tenant houses, women sighed and then shifted feet so that the one that had been down was now on top, and the toes working. Dogs came sniffing near the owner cars and wetted on all four tires one after another. And chickens lay in the sunny dust and fluffed their feathers to get the cleansing dust down to the skin. In the little sties the pigs grunted inquiringly over the muddy remnants of the slops.

The squatting men looked down again. What do you want us to do? We can’t take less share of the crop—we’re half starved now. The kids are hungry all the time. We got no clothes, torn an’ ragged. If all the neighbors weren’t the same, we’d be ashamed to go to meeting.

And at last the owner men came to the point. The tenant system won’t work any more. One man on a tractor can take the place of twelve or fourteen families. Pay him a wage and take all the crop. We have to do it. We don’t like to do it. But the monster’s sick. Something’s happened to the monster.

But you’ll kill the land with cotton.

We know. We’ve got to take cotton quick before the land dies. Then we’ll sell the land. Lots of families in the East would like to own a piece of land.

The tenant men looked up alarmed. But what’ll happen to us? How’ll we eat?

You’ll have to get off the land. The plows’ll go through the dooryard.

And now the squatting men stood up angrily. Grampa took up the land, and he had to kill the Indians and drive them away. And Pa was born here, and he killed weeds and snakes. Then a bad year came and he had to borrow a little money. An’ we was born here. There in the door—our children born here. And Pa had to borrow money. The bank owned the land then, but we stayed and we got a little bit of what we raised.

We know that—all that. It’s not us, it’s the bank. A bank isn’t like a man. Or an owner with fifty thousand acres, he isn’t like a man either. That’s the monster.

Sure, cried the tenant men, but it’s our land. We measured it and broke it up. We were born on it, and we got killed on it, died on it. Even if it’s no good, it’s still ours. That’s what makes it ours—being born on it, working it, dying on it. That makes ownership, not a paper with numbers on it.

We’re sorry. It’s not us. It’s the monster. The bank isn’t like a man.

Yes, but the bank is only made of men. No, you’re wrong there—quite wrong there. The bank is something else than men. It happens that every man in a bank hates what the bank does, and yet the bank does it. The bank is something more than men, I tell you. It’s the monster. Men made it, but they can’t control it.

The tenants cried, Grampa killed Indians, Pa killed snakes for the land. Maybe we can kill banks—they’re worse than Indians and snakes. Maybe we got to fight to keep our land, like Pa and Grampa did.

And now the owner men grew angry. You’ll have to go.

But it’s ours, the tenant men cried. We——

No. The bank, the monster owns it. You’ll have to go.

We’ll get our guns, like Grampa when the Indians came. What then?

Well—first the sheriff, and then the troops. You’ll be stealing if you try to stay, you’ll be murderers if you kill to stay. The monster isn’t men, but it can make men do what it wants.

But if we go, where’ll we go? How’ll we go? We got no money.

We’re sorry, said the owner men. The bank, the fifty-thousand-acre owner can’t be responsible. You’re on land that isn’t yours. Once over the line maybe you can pick cotton in the fall. Maybe you can go on relief. Why don’t you go on west to California? There’s work there, and it never gets cold. Why, you can reach out anywhere and pick an orange. Why, there’s always some kind of crop to work in. Why don’t you go there? And the owner men started their cars and rolled away.

The tenant men squatted down on their hams again to mark the dust with a stick, to figure, to wonder. Their sunburned faces were dark, and their sun-whipped eyes were light. The women moved cautiously out of the doorways toward their men, and the children crept behind the women, cautiously, ready to run. The bigger boys squatted beside their fathers, because that made them men. After a time the women asked, What did he want?

And the men looked up for a second, and the smolder of pain was in their eyes. We got to get off. A tractor and a superintendent. Like factories.

Where’ll we go? the women asked.

We don’t know. We don’t know. And the women went quickly, quietly back into the houses and herded the children ahead of them. They knew that a man so hurt and so perplexed may turn in anger, even on people he loves. They left the men alone to figure and to wonder in the dust.

After a time perhaps the tenant man looked about—at the pump put in ten years ago, with a goose-neck handle and iron flowers on the spout, at the chopping block where a thousand chickens had been killed, at the hand plow lying in the shed, and the patent crib hanging in the rafters over it.

The children crowded about the women in the houses. What we going to do, Ma? Where we going to go?

The women said, We don’t know, yet. Go out and play. But don’t go near your father. He might whale you if you go near him. And the women went on with the work, but all the time they watched the men squatting in the dust—perplexed and figuring.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fell Mood posted:

Oh no. No no no no no. I'll be screaming "I told you so" at every jackass around me up to the bitter end.

Microplastics posted:

(me being the last person alive, yelling at a pile of skulls and lab coats) YEAH BUT NOT EVERYBODY DIED, DID THEY

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1771201408978534415

lol

lmao

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Not like temperatures can keep going up infinitely, geez. Get a grip.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

a rising tide lifts all boats

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

don't worry it's just el nino

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bobtheconqueror posted:

what states have these laws? I thought the only requirement for homeowners insurance was from lending banks

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
hmm graph seems bad

it's time for treats!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what states have these laws? I thought the only requirement for homeowners insurance was from lending banks

Yes the lender will do lender-placed insurance as part of the mortgage agreement, which is buying a more expensive plan for you with less protection usually

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hit Man posted:

Yes the lender will do lender-placed insurance as part of the mortgage agreement, which is buying a more expensive plan for you with less protection usually

nah I just meant I didn't think states care about you having insurance, but banks obviously do before they give you a bunch of money for something that could quickly become worthless

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I have to wonder sometimes if we'll ever give up on the idea of interest/growth based banking no matter how bad things get. I can picture being down to a population under a billion and them still being on the hook for the debts of the current age because gently caress you, corporations are still people but they can't be killed.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Things aren't improving? But the number go up?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Oldest Man posted:

market based solutions means no one is responsible when you become a homeless climate refugee

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

the collapse discourse strikes me as rebadged accelerationism driven by people frustrated by lack of political progress. i think the most extreme example so far was the poster who was calling the end of industrial civilization within the next decade

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

"There may be a few ongoing genocides, mass biosphere die-offs, and rampant breadbasket failures, but things aren't that bad yet!"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

the collapse discourse strikes me as rebadged accelerationism driven by people frustrated by lack of political progress. i think the most extreme example so far was the poster who was calling the end of industrial civilization within the next decade

please dont do syq poo poo here thx

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

"calling for" as in its like a political agenda too and not the windshield about to interact with our collective bug society

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hubbert posted:

lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

ok sry

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EpKKR6y9nc

quote:

Irreducible is the word for today
Plastic compounds and nuclear waste
What the hell's the matter with the people on this planet, have we all gone insane?
The stigma of industrial progress killing us over and over again

It's one part per trillion, unacceptable
One part per billion, unacceptable
One part per million, unacceptable
This mammoth pogrom set upon us courtesy of the USA

Inexcusable are the men before our time
I'd like to kick their rear end for what they left behind
Cancer-causing chemicals, ozone-depleting aerosols, we're all gonna fry
So put your head between your legs and kiss your rear end goodbye

this song is probably older than half the people reading this (1990)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

a joker laugh that just keeps getting louder

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Ever since watching "L'effondrement" with my partner two weeks ago she's been in a really bad mood

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
climate solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMaTrgUKC1w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
It is okay when the crop failures happen from the droughts we can just start eating the round up flavored bugs....oh wait.

Love 2C it happen