Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Waiter there's a denuvo in my soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ytlaya posted:

Does leveling as different vocations impact your overall growth much?

If I want to be a Magic Archer later, will I benefit from leveling as Mage, etc?

contrary to reports, leveling as different vocations does impact your overall growth, but only to a point

someone did some testing and found that a character that leveled as a thief and then switched to mage had different stats than a character that only leveled as mage

but at some point, late into the game those stat growths will cap out and the thief only and mage only character will eventually have identical base stats as a mage

basically: short term, there's a difference; long term, the stats normalize and there's no difference

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 23, 2024

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love that Rook is there at the beginning and that the oxcart is actually the fast method of travel now

Also the high five gets me every time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I guess someone did a quest with my Garfield bc as soon as I rested and updated him he was like "follow me" and I almost thought he was bugged but I kept following and following and he lead me right to a quest I forgot I had and he knew some stuff about the area it seemed. Cool!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I had three beastwren pawns with me and one, and only one, of them just constantly kept chiming in about how "It seems the arisen prefers the company of beastwren!" My character is also a cat. The other two pawns kept telling her to shut up, first in polite ways like "To each their own, I guess?" then eventually more blunt ways like "That has naught to do with this, let's move on." I love the pawn chatter and conversations in this game. Then while we were randomly walking through the goblin infested woods she chimed in about how one arisen she served with before slept around with a lot of different people :shepface:

Khanstant posted:

Haha I guess someone did a quest with my Garfield bc as soon as I rested and updated him he was like "follow me" and I almost thought he was bugged but I kept following and following and he lead me right to a quest I forgot I had and he knew some stuff about the area it seemed. Cool!

Which garfield is yours? I think there's many. I used one for a bunch last night and he's a good cat.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leal posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look out ladies, Shrek’s in town.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leal posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Hey man, you want to buy 2500 Rift Crystals for $4.99?"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Can I safely sell these jewels like Jasper and Tiger Eye, or do they have some kind of use?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been spoiled by modern games and wish there were markers for quest givers. I don't want to have to talk to every freaking NPC to see if they have a quest. I found two that didn't auto start dialog.

Also I lost 2 levels worth of progress because I didn't realize reloading last inn save literally doesn't keep any progress past that save lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I've been spoiled by modern games and wish there were markers for quest givers. I don't want to have to talk to every freaking NPC to see if they have a quest. I found two that didn't auto start dialog.

Also I lost 2 levels worth of progress because I didn't realize reloading last inn save literally doesn't keep any progress past that save lol

Ooh yeah this should just be removed from the game, it’s a terrible feature. Instead of reloading a save, the game should just respawn you either at the nearest inn, or at a checkpoint near where you died.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i left the main city at mage level 1, was gonna swap to gently caress around a bit

came back at like mage level 8 and now have more vocations available

game rules

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Yeah I'm noticing this is a thing as well. Didn't the first game have a marker over quest NPCs? Maybe I'm mixing that up with there being a quest board for this stuff.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I said come in! posted:

Ooh yeah this should just be removed from the game, it’s a terrible feature. Instead of reloading a save, the game should just respawn you either at the nearest inn, or at a checkpoint near where you died.

That's what "Reload Last Save" does but you still have all the accumulated max HP damage, I was down to 50% max hp and there was no camp in sight and just hordes of enemies that I had to reload the inn save.

Also there was a notice board in DD1 but iirc those were procgen quests? (or very lazily designed quests)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lakbay posted:

That's what "Reload Last Save" does but you still have all the accumulated max HP damage, I was down to 50% max hp and there was no camp in sight and just hordes of enemies that I had to reload the inn save.

Also there was a notice board in DD1 but iirc those were procgen quests? (or very lazily designed quests)

Ooh whoops, thanks for the correction.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I created a giant Fighter beastman dude and when I ran into the first pack of goblins I was flailing around with the buttons, killed all but one goblin and then picked him up on accident, ran around in a circle, and then dropped him down and he died in a very over the top animation. Looked like a wrestling match and absolutely cracked me up.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GreatGreen posted:

So there's reports that Denuvo is banning accounts from online pawn access in this single player game if players manually delete their character to start over. Negative Steam review says the game auto-saved their character in a stuck-through-the-floor state, so his game is effectively bricked or at risk of being banned if he tries to manually delete and start over.

Great job, Capcom.

edit: I guess he could always manually reload from an inn, but that's still really lame.
There's also a Steam review (liked by 12k+ people) that claims your character is kept on the server and nothing you do locally will affect it and you have to pay $1.99 to start over which, even if you're wilfully being as uncharitable as possible, is still objectively a lie. People are making the wildest possible assumptions (or straight up making poo poo up) and acting as if they're true because they like being part of the righteous mob. Consider what happens if someone simply gets a new PC and installs Dragons Dogma on it, and has cloud saving disabled and thus does not have access to their old save file. Or on the PS5, if they simply don't have PS+ and thus don't have access to cloud saving. Do you honestly think that person is going to be banned from the game as a matter of policy?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I loaded up the game just to see how it ran and mess with the settings so I skipped through the cutscenes and character creator. Then I came back later to start a new game.

How is there no new game option? I had to delete the save from the steam folder to start over.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

stev posted:

I loaded up the game just to see how it ran and mess with the settings so I skipped through the cutscenes and character creator. Then I came back later to start a new game.

How is there no new game option? I had to delete the save from the steam folder to start over.
It's a weird omission but they already said they're looking at adding the ability to delete your save from within the game

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Am I seriously the only one in the google doc on xbox lmao y'all PUT YOUR PAWNS IN

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Which garfield is yours? I think there's many. I used one for a bunch last night and he's a good cat.

Big round orange head and belly and skill arms and legs, mage, calm. I think I'm 35 or 36 on the spreadsheet, but my steam name is GeorgeRRMartinLutherBurgerKingJr.

I e been using the same 2 goon pawns and they're starting to comment on it haha. Tbh I'd feel weirdly rude dismissing one of them if only bc it's a steam friend, but I'm already thief so I don't need another.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Volte posted:

There's also a Steam review (liked by 12k+ people) that claims your character is kept on the server and nothing you do locally will affect it and you have to pay $1.99 to start over which, even if you're wilfully being as uncharitable as possible, is still objectively a lie. People are making the wildest possible assumptions (or straight up making poo poo up) and acting as if they're true because they like being part of the righteous mob. Consider what happens if someone simply gets a new PC and installs Dragons Dogma on it, and has cloud saving disabled and thus does not have access to their old save file. Or on the PS5, if they simply don't have PS+ and thus don't have access to cloud saving. Do you honestly think that person is going to be banned from the game as a matter of policy?

The degree to which people are making poo poo up (including a rosy tinted non-existent past with a dlc-less DD1) just to feel involved in the Discourse is wild

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Insanite posted:

20 minutes into this and I’m cackling at the number of times I’ve heard “aught” and “ought.”

GOTY

wait until you see the animation for dashing up a ladder

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
is there a way to get more specialization tomes? I switched from chirurgeon to logistician and I kinda wanna change back

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Does leveling as different vocations impact your overall growth much?

If I want to be a Magic Archer later, will I benefit from leveling as Mage, etc?

Also - are any vocations "must haves" for a party? I'm a little worried about not having a Mage pawn in my party, for the heal. IIRC Sorcerors don't have the heal? Same goes to a lesser extent for Fighter.

If it behaves like DD1 most of your damage will come from your weapon and passives, and less from your stats. Magic Archer kind of needed a little bit of everything since it could dish out physical and magic damage (with an obvious bias towards magic, obviously).

In DD1 the first 10 levels had the most pronounced stat growth, the next 90 had relatively moderate stat growth, and lvl 100 thru 200 had miniscule stat growth. Trying to minmax didn't matter as hard because you could always slam down 4x of <stat> periapt and then your damage skyrockets.

Mage vs Sorcerer: Mages get to keep their utility spells. Sorcerers are KILL KILL KILL.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So do you need to rest at an inn for others to see your updated pawn in the Rift, or does your pawn get updated every time the game autosaves or something?

Made some big improvements to my pawn but now I don't have enough money for an inn

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man this was so cool. I got onto a griffin's back and he flew so far away from my party and I was just hoping I wouldn't fall in the water. I was like well I guess I'm going this way now lol

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Has anyone used the art of metamorphosis yet? Can you change your race/build/name and stuff or are those super locked in? Gender/name are the two I'm most concerned/curious about.

so apparently you can change gender (not race) but you can't change your name, so now im just John Dogma but a girl. which is fine but kind of annoying since your name is used everywhere

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly I would change this with a cheat engine if I could, it’s very annoying. You could change it in the first game too no problem.

The race one makes sense, I’m betting you’re treated differently if you’re a cat man which is neat

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

stev posted:

It makes a lot more sense in the context of just how world-altering some things can be: there are things that can happen that dramatically alter the state of the world and the one-save no-restarting system is meant to force you into facing the ramifications of them.

One example is the Dragonblight curse which will eventually make the cursed pawn transform into a dragon the next time you rest at an inn, and when you wake up literally the entire town is dead. Every single person, including questgivers afaik

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hahaha Christ. I emerged from some cave at night, half health from tired. See a medium dragon and decide to fight it, it kills my pawns immediately. I spent the next half hour just running and trying to save my pawns by reviving until I couldn't anymore. I think I ran from that drake into even harder territory because I ran into a griffin, had to jump over a bridge ogre, ran to two safe villages that were full of angry psychos, a lizard village, and then a bunch of freaky strong goblins and human thieves. Finally got corned with no health left and no pawns and had to ferrystone back to town.

Anyway, do not bum rush dragons on a whim unprepared and massively under leveled. Or do, I had a blast.

Edit: anyone do this follow beggar quest? I can't follow a man who stay still all day.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hating on the game right now is memes and as palworld and the last president proved it doesn't matter how lovely something is if the power of memes is behind it.

How many times have you died falling from roofs in the capital city?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Saraiguma posted:

is there a way to get more specialization tomes? I switched from chirurgeon to logistician and I kinda wanna change back

Curious if anyone knows as well. I haven't changed specializations yet but... since it's an item, maybe it's possible to buy it again somewhere?

big nipples big life posted:

Hating on the game right now is memes and as palworld and the last president proved it doesn't matter how lovely something is if the power of memes is behind it.

How many times have you died falling from roofs in the capital city?

At least twice because I tried to repeat the same jump...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Saraiguma posted:

Clocks posted:

Curious if anyone knows as well. I haven't changed specializations yet but... since it's an item, maybe it's possible to buy it again somewhere?

Also wondering this.

I would assume it's a riftstone vendor, but I haven't been to town to check.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I decided to take an ox cart to Melve for a quest, doing it the slow way. Chill at start, ran into some goblins, whatever.

Just now I heard a big noise and then this gryphon crashed directly into the cart where I'm sitting and and destroyed it up on landing. What a magnificent beast but I'm gonna die yeah

Edit: okay I did die but only because fall damage is weird and it counted a 5 foot drop off gryphon back onto gryphon back as a mega fall.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 23, 2024

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

So I accidentally made my Arisen look like Mac from Always Sunny. I didn't see it at first but now I can't unsee it. I'm gonna try to roll with it, maybe make whooshing noises with my mouth as I fight stuff. I'll try to catch a good screen shot when I get home.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

For hiring in the rift it's possible to copy paste Pawn ID from the spreadsheet. Cross platform hiring isn't working for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I spent some time upgrading some of my pawn Fiona's weapon skills, bought all her core skills, and got her some better equipment in Vernworth. She's in the Excel sheet, give her another shot if you thought she was too mid before.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ok this time I jumped on the griffin, it flew over the city, the guards started attacking it with me, it crashed on a staircase and I flew off and crashed on the beach while it was draped over the stair edge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay this time the gryphon didn't attack the cart but I wanted to fight it anyway and won. Their is awesome against Griffin, the ninja Gaiden spin slash gets you perfect head shots and often lands you directly on its back or head for even better damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I do some sidequests in Melve, then finally tell the captain ok lets go to the capital.

So I follow him, and he goes in a loop around the road that takes us right back to Melve about 30 minutes later, then runs off down the same road he started on to begin with. He probably thinks he was getting back at me by wasting my time like I wasted his, but all XP is good XP I say.