Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oh i was thinking of Jupiter Ascending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

oh i was thinking of Jupiter Ascending

Which is also tremendous

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well. Takes all kinds

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're both fine, not great but at least pretty interesting. I like the book better than the movie, but not much more. The book was pretty good but the author definitely thought it was smarter than it really is. In that sense it's perfectly suited for the Wachowskis.

the book is basically be excellent to each other, which I don't think is trying to be smarter than it is. we should be excellent to each other.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, I just meant the overly clever setup of nesting the stories inside one another with things like the comet birthmark coming back.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
idk I found it fun but I also read mostly genre fiction so my taste aren't the most refined, I fully admit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TadBradley posted:

I guess more in general. I was reading r/filmindustryLA and getting annoyed at the redditor dumbasses therein, and it occurred to me I never really sought out the same kind of stuff here. Facebook groups are beset by boomer Facebook drama, subreddits are 60% "I'm about to graduate, should I move to LA?" and "how do I become a director? I'm too shy to network." And both are full of doomers and shills who can't stop plugging Open.AI products that are coming for our jobs.

Basically this. Movie set shitposting, but goonier. I wanted to talk about Grips eating crayons.

Please do. Filmmaking is a lot of stupid that people don’t realize lol

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Please do. Filmmaking is a lot of stupid that people don’t realize lol

Gutted I missed the AD chat in the Horror thread, as an AD.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Hollismason posted:

Make a thread and I'll sticky it for while and see if it's productive

I made a thread. If there's no film crew interest in it, maybe at least people can use it as an Ask/Tell thread about what it's like to throw your life away on set.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056934&pagenumber=1#lastpost

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

a lovely king posted:

Oh so you're to blame for poor things

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Watching Fellowship of the Ring for the first time in like 12 years. God, every frame a painting on this one, huh? Couldn't make a movie that looks like this today. They tried!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Sitting on my couch watching The First Slam Dunk on Bluray with a laptop in front of the TV playing the subtitle track that my friend made because it’s not getting an official English release maybe ever?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Sitting on my couch watching The First Slam Dunk on Bluray with a laptop in front of the TV playing the subtitle track that my friend made because it’s not getting an official English release maybe ever?

It got an official release in theaters last year. There's just been a big delay in getting the streaming/blu-ray release out in English because for whatever reason the Japanese blu-ray didn't come out until about a month ago and GKids surely wouldn't be allowed to put out the English version until sometime after that.

Which I'm sad of because it's an insanely good movie and I would have loved to revisit it during March Madness!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

E: nvm!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lost In Translation has been described iirc as pretty much emblematic of Hollywood white boomers having an extremely shallow fascination with Japan while less actual curiosity or understanding of Japanese culture, life or language than even your typical weeaboo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Had one of those Regina slices and it was great.

Walked around the North End for an hour and bought some coffee beans for my wife from an old timey shop where you buy coffee, beans, and spices by weight.

Went to the first shorts program and it was pretty uneven but had a lot of fun. The Festival's voting system was a bit broken so I couldn't actually rate any of the films.

Saw the feelgood Juggalo road movie Off Ramp and loved it.

Currently eating one of your American cheeseburgers before I go watch a South Korean film.

Then there's another 100 minute shorts program at midnight then I'll either stumble home or go to the after party and try to mingle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Watching Fellowship of the Ring for the first time in like 12 years. God, every frame a painting on this one, huh? Couldn't make a movie that looks like this today. They tried!

Lmao I saw it was two discs but I still wasn't expecting a THE STORY CONTINUES ON DISC 2

Makes a good place to pop a bookmark in and pick the second half up in a couple nights

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Walked around the North End for an hour and bought some coffee beans for my wife from an old timey shop where you buy coffee, beans, and spices by weight.

Went to the first shorts program and it was pretty uneven but had a lot of fun. The Festival's voting system was a bit broken so I couldn't actually rate any of the films.

Currently eating one of your American cheeseburgers before I go watch a South Korean film.

Then there's another 100 minute shorts program at midnight then I'll either stumble home or go to the after party and try to mingle.

Did you bring the leg with all the autographs? That'd be a great conversation piece at an after party.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Thank you, god bless.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

TadBradley posted:

I made a thread. If there's no film crew interest in it, maybe at least people can use it as an Ask/Tell thread about what it's like to throw your life away on set.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056934&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Okay I stickied it at the top of the forum and hopefully be semi popular

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Apparently the Road House remake was released like 2 weeks ago??

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

a lovely king posted:

The importance of an AD was unknown to me until I saw a decent one on action then realized lmao I hosed up by not having one

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Apparently the Road House remake was released like 2 weeks ago??
No I think it was just a couple days ago. Anyway it's bad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The original is obviously better, but I kinda dug the Road House remake. And Conner McGreggor wasn't horrible, in terms of MMA fighters he's not as good as Gina Carraro, but definitely better than Rhonda Rousey.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I had to pause Newhouse at the 1-hour mark just a bit after McGregor's introduction. I don't know him except from headlines, and found him a bit annoying. It's like he got one bit of direction and that read "SWAGGER" and by god, he swaggers all over the place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Go to the party.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly the only real good a festival is is the networking. If you didn’t network at all it’s straight up not worth it

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I watched A High Wind in Jamaica and really enjoyed it. The effects, at least I hope that they were effects, had me on the edge of my seat a few times. The pirates (privateers?) are stereotypical and funny but not campy. And there is a real examination of how human resilience can cut both ways.

The plot is about a group of middle class children on the way to England when the weather in Jamaica has gotten too dangerous, whereupon they are captured by pirates. Soon the kids have the run of the ship and eat the best food, whether the pirates want it or no. This is explained by the officers not wanting to be double-triple-hanged for mistreating precious white and light-skinned mixed children if caught (and presumably it would be a completely different story if the kids were black or even less than half white). Soon enough the pirates seem to think the children have Stockholm Syndrome. The captain only slightly hesitates for less than a second when handing a loaded rifle to a 12 year old girl when they're being tracked by unknown persons. He isn't overly concerned she will kill him or even try to escape at this point. But it isn't Stockholm Syndrome that's their defence mechanism but apathy. They aren't in love with their captives. They barely care about the people they do love at this stage.

It's a fine movie. There's also a book but don't read it. The difference between film and book is kind of like that between IT and Stephen King's novel. Especially how the book has a certain notorious chapter in the sewers. Not exactly that, but, uh... they might be pirates with a heart of gold but they're still pirates, and some of the captured children are pubescent girls. It might not be by physical force, but it's 100% statutory.

B+/A-

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 23, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Love Lies Bleeding is wild. Had a lot of fun.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grendels Dad posted:

I had to pause Newhouse at the 1-hour mark just a bit after McGregor's introduction. I don't know him except from headlines, and found him a bit annoying. It's like he got one bit of direction and that read "SWAGGER" and by god, he swaggers all over the place.

I don’t think that’s direction. He’s insufferable in real life too. Bought into his own hype years ago and turned into a caricature of himself. His brain is probably 90% cocaine at this point

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hope you cleaned up after yourself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was listening to this podcast review of eXistenZ, and they described Dimension Films as being like the A24 of the 90s and after a moment’s thought I was like, yeah, kinda.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Gripweed posted:

I was listening to this podcast review of eXistenZ, and they described Dimension Films as being like the A24 of the 90s and after a moment’s thought I was like, yeah, kinda.

Maybe a slightly low rent A24? But I mean rents generally were lower back than even if you factor in inflation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

Go to the party.

I did but for some reason it started at 22 when the last screening started at 23:45 and ended at 01:30. So all I had time to do was walk to the bar to be met with a doorman who said "We're closing, you can have one and done." So all I managed to do was have one drink and shake hands with maybe two people because everyone was already a couple hours deep into conversation. Did manage to chat with a guy who has a short in the same block as I and was also foolish enough to try to watch all the movies.

However tonight the last screening is done at I think 23:00 which means I'll maybe even have time for a full conversation with someone.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Does Elton John appear and sing the titular line?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sourdough Sam posted:

Does Elton John appear and sing the titular line?

The scene would need to be proceeded by a funeral for a friend.

There are no friends in this movie.

So no.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

There are no friends in this movie.

Hey now, those two homiphobic guys seemed like they got along pretty well. And I doubt van guy has ever met somebody he didn't love.

I was surprised by how true this what you say was of the film generally. Like, my god, I wasn't prepared for it to turn into such a black comedy about lovely people taking lumps out of each other, sometimes literally. I thought I was signing up for a thriller I caught Coens meets Cronenberg. Coenberg.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
van guy was weirdly cool in a sea of horrible people

like gave a ride and didn't do weird poo poo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I preferred Cloud Atlas the film to the book, I think the slightly less rigid formalism really helps the climax come together. The Bone Clocks is my preference for David Mitchell books.

e: phone does not recognise 'formalism', some joke here

josh04 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

Hot take - none of the Ghostbusters films are that amazing and it is wild that people treat it as some sacred franchise that has been "ruined" by the modern films.

Yeah, Ghostbusters 2 isn't great. It just has some really funny scenes with Murray and Ackroyd. It's charm is the mythical lost land of 1980's NYC