Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Speaking of struggles that end in futility...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Genovera posted:

That's not what it's about, apparently.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Genovera posted:

Finality, surely.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eej posted:

Doing a polygraph test on Star Rail posters to check if their vitals spike when hearing the phrases "Herrscher Authority", "Yatta!" and "Life blooms like a flower, far away or by the road"

You wouldn't even need to do a test, just show Senti, the Yatta! is instinctual.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just wait, 3 patches from now they're gonna put out a Limited Yanqing who's rocking all 12 of those swords. He's gonna be the most OP unit ever.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Surely it'd be Grandmarshal Fu Hua. Only she then ignores the swords and punches you instead.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

qbert posted:

Just wait, 3 patches from now they're gonna put out a Limited Yanqing who's rocking all 12 of those swords. He's gonna be the most OP unit ever.

and he'll still job to everyone in story

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Eej posted:

Doing a polygraph test on Star Rail posters to check if their vitals spike when hearing the phrases "Herrscher Authority", "Yatta!" and "Life blooms like a flower, far away or by the road"

? Gonna need a loremaster to post a few paragraphs of spoilertext to explain.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Clarste posted:

What is the goal? To depersonalize it as much as possible by focusing on the swords and not people? Why portray her at all then, and not just her swords? You are currently a person saying "you just don't get it" while not even attempting to explain how.

Why would I continue to talk to you after everything you've said? gently caress, why would you continue to talk to me after everything you've said?

You want to know the point of the short? It's literally this conversation.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just be content doing your assignments for her though until she eventually shows up

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zenostein posted:

? Gonna need a loremaster to post a few paragraphs of spoilertext to explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrjw5c1bPt4

Allarion posted:

Just be content doing your assignments for her though until she eventually shows up

Please Da Wei I need Fu Hua I will go feral if you think I'm excited for Acheron wait until best girl is playable.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I dunno who Hua is, but she better be loving broken when she appears.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Bad Video Games posted:

I dunno who Hua is, but she better be loving broken when she appears.

Acheron has set a very high bar.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

kirbysuperstar posted:

i like swords

swords

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I cannot take any character named Kevin seriously

Does it help if he also has zero personality or charisma, just a complete loving black hole of entertainment every second he's on screen? At least the important version we're meant to take seriously. In one of the AU side events, he's a huge dork who constantly makes ice puns, even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't even have ice powers in that side universe.

There is no version of Kevin Kaslana that I have been able to take seriously. I could see them turning Yanqing into a better final antagonist.

Eimi posted:

Isn't ZZZ not in the Hoyoverse? At least I read somewhere it wasn't and was extremely happy because it meant I didn't have to care and try and follow it's lore.

I mean you probably wouldn't particularly need to care and try to follow it's lore anyways? Not only has every Hoyoverse game worked fine standalone so far, but ZZZ so far seems pretty ground level, and unlikely to contribute more to any sort of cross-series understanding than, say, Genshin, which I'm pretty sure has taught us absolutely nothing related to HI3 or Star Rail or the greater universe. (Which is fine.)

Even better, if ZZZ does somehow wind up having potentially relevant Hoyoverse lore, you get to relive the joy of hearing other people infodump about a tangentially related game you know very little about, which at least in my case was what got me into HI3 in the first place. Which was then the thing that got me excited about Star Rail.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain France posted:

Does it help if he also has zero personality or charisma, just a complete loving black hole of entertainment every second he's on screen? At least the important version we're meant to take seriously. In one of the AU side events, he's a huge dork who constantly makes ice puns, even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't even have ice powers in that side universe.

There is no version of Kevin Kaslana that I have been able to take seriously. I could see them turning Yanqing into a better final antagonist.

But have you considered he has a sick theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWHjmiUFPoU

quote:

I mean you probably wouldn't particularly need to care and try to follow it's lore anyways? Not only has every Hoyoverse game worked fine standalone so far, but ZZZ so far seems pretty ground level, and unlikely to contribute more to any sort of cross-series understanding than, say, Genshin, which I'm pretty sure has taught us absolutely nothing related to HI3 or Star Rail or the greater universe. (Which is fine.)

Even better, if ZZZ does somehow wind up having potentially relevant Hoyoverse lore, you get to relive the joy of hearing other people infodump about a tangentially related game you know very little about, which at least in my case was what got me into HI3 in the first place. Which was then the thing that got me excited about Star Rail.

Yeah I guess, I mean I don't think I'd play it regardless because aesthetically it's just not my thing. Also three of these games is enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Very dark thoughts about how much I want Archeon Eidolons.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

Acheron has set a very high bar.

Good. One of these days I need to invest in a real dps instead of just meming.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Very dark thoughts about how much I want Archeon Eidolons.

what they do, boss?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain France posted:

The fun version of Kevin is when he's a girl and is just Kiana.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Meowywitch posted:

what they do, boss?

E2 means she doesn't need 2 Nihility characters for max damage. But I've seen a YouTuber mention that e0 is better with 1 Nihility and Sparkle.

Edit: This is really making me want to pull for her over Luocha, admittedly. But I can't afford her lightcone and Aventurine, and I'm going to get Aventurine if it costs me.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 23, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kiana is one of the best game protagonists of all time

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I didn't think we needed a separate HI3 thread until now, after we already have one.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Just some general thoughts on the discussion that's going on:

I'm more than fine with Hoyo reusing concepts and expies over and over for their games; it's worked for Nintendo, it's worked for FromSoft, it works for Hoyo. If there can be twenty different versions of Zelda, there can be twenty different versions of Bronya. It's fun having a reoccurring set of characters to use.

I also don't mind the HI3 lore implications and connections (even though they're lost on me), it adds a lot if you've been playing Hoyo games for years now. Ideally in a few years when we're playing Genshin Ocean Boat or whatever the next big Hoyo game is, I can get excited when Irminsul comes up in some random trailer for the new Nahida, and whatever lore implications that might have. Having said that, if this is coming up because Hoyo is building an interconnected universe where something happening in one game means something in the next, at some point, I need Hoyo to explain why these connections matter. I'm not against going back to playing HI3, but I think it's a lot to expect newer players to know what all of these connections mean without having prior knowledge, especially since HSR was sold as being a jumping-on point for players new to the Honkaiverse.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I didn't think we needed a separate HI3 thread until now, after we already have one.

I honestly think a general Hoyo thread wouldn't be a terrible idea since we end up discussing all of their games in the Genshin/HSR threads anyways. That'd be a good place for lore dumping if nothing else

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Eimi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrjw5c1bPt4

Please Da Wei I need Fu Hua I will go feral if you think I'm excited for Acheron wait until best girl is playable.

Eh, I think the dudes with the leaves have more impact.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

qbert posted:

I never played HI3, so is Acheron an actual character from HI3 or does she just resemble a character and everyone assumes they're equivalent? Just curious, which characters in Star Rail are actually in HI3? I think I know Welt was, and that's it.

Welt is straight up from HI3, dimension hopping, he brought his frenemy Void Archives, who did something that "traumatized" Dan Heng a bit and vanished and will probably show up at some point. Void Archives also looks like Luocha, but he is copying the guy Luocha is a lookalike of.

Archeron has a partially reused design and seems to be an AU version Mei and Raiden Shogun, except also some of her backstory and stuff has some particulars that are more directly Mei than usual for AU versions of Hoyo characters.

Bronya and Silver Wolf are AU versions of the same HI3 character at different points in her life, with Silver Wolf further taking a ton of cues from a specific AU version within HI3 events.

Seele, Natasha, Cocolia, and Luocha are AU versions of HI3 characters, although Seele and Bronya have kinda few similarities besides design and name? Luocha's HI3 version was a nemesis of Welt's and in addition to being a huge dick, was indirectly responsible for the deaths of more than half of mankind and largely unrepentant and nuked Welt, possibly twice, so Welt is obviously concerned about that. HI3's Natasha is introduced as an assassin working for an evil organization who also runs an orphanage on the side, so it's kind of nice to see that the thing that seems to be a common theme for her throughout the multiverse is the "orphanage" thing and not the assassin thing. :3

Omg I forgot Himeko. Himeko is an AU version of an HI3 character, and her presence is the reason Welt came to the Star Rail universe. HI3 Himeko was Welt's student in college, he tried to keep her from getting into Scifi Bullshit, she got into it anyways and died and he blames himself. Somehow, this does not seem to be particularly relevant to their relationship in Star Rail, which is loving weird to me. Did Welt tell her about that? It seems weird not to tell her. It also seems weird to tell her. It's a weird loving situation.

There's some other stuff that's more on the "they like to reuse themes" level, but I don't think anyone else is "they're sort of reusing a character" level.

Honestly after noticing Welt was barely allowed in the Pokemon event, I kind of wish Welt was an AU version too, they seem hesitant to let him interact with any of these characters besides Himeko and Luocha, and while that's understandable it sort of robs us a lot of Welt's presence in filler? And that sucks because Welt is cool, especially when he is being very uncool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
March 7th strongly resembles Elysia, but any connection between the two is gonna be speculation until we finally delve into March's past. For a good while, people argued that they wouldn't make a 2nd version of Elysia cause Kevin said a thing, but I think that's silly when part 2 suddenly introduced Senadina who is practically the Martian fusion of Elysia and March 7th, amnesia included.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain France posted:

Honestly after noticing Welt was barely allowed in the Pokemon event, I kind of wish Welt was an AU version too, they seem hesitant to let him interact with any of these characters besides Himeko and Luocha, and while that's understandable it sort of robs us a lot of Welt's presence in filler? And that sucks because Welt is cool, especially when he is being very uncool.

Honestly the crew of the Astral Express is blatantly misused. They're barely relevant as characters, and most of their interactions even in Penacony are errand givers. It doesn't feel like there's much of a point of a recurring cast if they are barely used. We know so little about the Express crew, though granted, even when one was the focus of a planet, we learned jack poo poo about him anyway.

Welt is one of the biggest dorks in the Honkai verse and the fact that he's basically not been in events is criminal.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
omg I forgot Sushang.

An AU Sushang is also in HI3, where aside from her bestie being even gayer than Guinaifen, she made such little impression on me I didn't start to like her until Star Rail. Her phoenix is also kinda in HI3, where her Sushang's former master Fu Hua may or may not have a phoenix farm or something? It shows up in events and I have no idea the canonicity of it.

I guess an older version of an AU Yanqing is in one of the Visual Novels, too? I never played those but I think I saw someone post him in this thread before. He's handsome and bearded. It's too bad Yanqing is a Long Life Species, otherwise maybe we could get a cool time skip version of him or something.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Eimi posted:

Honestly the crew of the Astral Express is blatantly misused. They're barely relevant as characters, and most of their interactions even in Penacony are errand givers. It doesn't feel like there's much of a point of a recurring cast if they are barely used. We know so little about the Express crew, though granted, even when one was the focus of a planet, we learned jack poo poo about him anyway.

Welt is one of the biggest dorks in the Honkai verse and the fact that he's basically not been in events is criminal.

The weird one for me is Dan Heng, it feels like they keep writing him out entirely despite being in the starting trio. He skipped the pokemon event and has so far skipped Penacony, and that’s after Luofu where they had him separated for most of the plot. March 7th and the MC feel more like a duo at this point and Dan Heng’s grouped with the express crew drive-by cameos.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
2.0 is the first major story chapter since launch and the whole crew (minus Dan) are involved so I'll give it a few more patches to see what kind of dynamic to expect in storytelling for the Astral Express.

Woulda been weird to go on your Firefly date with mom and dad and your sister tagging along 6 feet behind though

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eej posted:

2.0 is the first major story chapter since launch and the whole crew (minus Dan) are involved so I'll give it a few more patches to see what kind of dynamic to expect in storytelling for the Astral Express.

Woulda been weird to go on your Firefly date with mom and dad and your sister tagging along 6 feet behind though

I mean I'm including all of 1.0 as treating the Express crew pretty terribly. Dan Heng was a focus character and we learned basically nothing about him. He just served as a key. We don't know his emotional state, or his thoughts on how accepting his past changed him. It's part of why the Luofu completely failed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I just mean 1.x is a mulligan to me it's very obvious everything was changing up to the last minute. 2.0 is what I personally am considering their first attempt at cohesive storytelling.

e: like they couldn't make up their mind over whether Dan Shu's story is relevant or not despite the fact that she's a mini boss in the main story

Eej fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 23, 2024

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

We could see Dan Heng in the White Night trailer, so he's probably not entirely written out of Penacony. It's possible that given Himeko suspected something is up with the invitation, she asked Dan Heng to stay back and research something about the Watchmaker or something, and later he's gonna come back into the story

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Speaking of Welt, I finally got my first non-newbie banner 5*, and it was him. At first I was a little annoyed I didn't get Sparkle since she seems like a very useful character to have around, but so long as I'm enjoying Dr. Ratio as my main damage dealer, Welt seems like a solid addition to the team - Welt keeps them slowed/debuffed (and some decent damage), Asta keeps me fast and buffed, Ratio murders fools and Natasha keeps everyone alive. It's a fun team.

Now I need to decide what to do with my guarantee next patch. The optimal play seems to be pull not-Raiden, but I also really want a better Abundance unit and the coffin guy looks super comfy to have around, which I value really highly.

edit: My luck, or lack of, has carried over from Genshin it would seem.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Luocha is super comfortable. He almost completely ignores the restriction of skill points, and it's nearly impossible for people to die on his team. However, Aventurine is said to be very skill point friendly, and he's the better sustain for Ratio. Up to you.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I haven’t looked into him a ton because I just don’t vibe with his look the little I’ve seen. I’ll wait and try him out and see if that changes, though. He looks powerful mechanically.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Bad Video Games posted:

Luocha is super comfortable. He almost completely ignores the restriction of skill points, and it's nearly impossible for people to die on his team. However, Aventurine is said to be very skill point friendly, and he's the better sustain for Ratio. Up to you.

on one hand I think Luocha is super lame

on the other, he uses a rapier, and thats just class

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Roll for favourites, not for meta. Everything will be powercreeped and/or buffed by new lc and relics over time, such is the nature of gacha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
evil women rule, evil men drool