Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The shot of Serie handing Fern her choice of grimoire was way more "nyoron~~" than I was expecting. Particularly with the voice over, I expected more barely contained rage or dejection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sharkmafia posted:

As people have said, the anime improves the fight sequences to a frankly ridiculous degree. However, I'd also say that the anime has a lot of little touches, like extra animation or original details, that give additional character moments or improve the vibe. Fern double-fisting donuts or skewers? The scene of the fox foraging and having snow dropped on its head as frieren and kraft talk? Anime-original. It's not just the fights.

The manga is good but the anime is I think better in nearly every respect.

Yeah, the anime really adds texture to what is otherwise a pretty generic, JRPG fantasy world, albeit one without talk of stats and levels, thank Christ. Stuff like the various city and town scenes really help give it a lived-in feeling that's not as easy for the manga to luxuriate in due to its medium.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AlternateNu posted:

The shot of Serie handing Fern her choice of grimoire was way more "nyoron~~" than I was expecting. Particularly with the voice over, I expected more barely contained rage or dejection.

Kittyface is just what elves do when they're annoyed.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

sharkmafia posted:

The manga is good but the anime is I think better in nearly every respect.

Strong agreement. I enjoy the manga and the art is well done, but the presentation tends to be pretty simple and static (not just few panels, but also not a lot of variety to paneling, character poses, etc). I believe it's published weekly, which is pretty crazy demanding -- Dungeon Meshi was published on a monthly schedule, by comparison, no?

The anime remains very faithful to the source material but manages to elevate it significantly, something that I find quite impressive. It feels like there have been a number of very solid manga adaptations this past year or so (Bocchi the Rock, Skip and Loafer, and Dungeon Meshi all come to mind).

Regarding Fern's choice of spells... she is so very her master's student in the best way... and Frieren's delight at that (and maybe a bit at Serie's frustration with it too) makes me smile.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Definitely going to go read the manga now, no way I can just wait for a new season.

I would have liked hearing what the spells the other passing mages got though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Frieren is one of the few anime that I think actually surpasses the manga in certain ways as opposed to being not as good.

Gully Foyle posted:

Definitely going to go read the manga now, no way I can just wait for a new season.

It's available on the Viz manga app if you have an ipad; it's great to read that way.

edit 2: the end of the anime season is chapter 60.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 22, 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

I would have liked hearing what the spells the other passing mages got though.

You learn about some of their choices later on in the manga.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since everyone in Frieren has a German name that reflects them in some way I'm half expecting Sein's best friend to reappear at some point as a literal Gorilla Warrior.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The twitter posts from Seiko Yoshioka (concept artist, layout designer, worldview illustrator) are pretty great and often help show how much thought the team put into adapting the setting to screen...

@seiko11 posted:

I'd like to introduce some of the layouts and backgrounds I worked on in episode 28. Saito-san's storyboard art was so cool that I had fun drawing the layouts!

@seiko11 posted:

I also really wanted to showcase this woodblock print cut and got permission to do so. The woodblock print for this cut was created based on an illustration drawn by Saito-san for the storyboard, which was so beautiful that I wanted to recreate it directly on the screen

Compare to how Wirbel's comments on the stories of Himmel the Hero were illustrated in the manga:

@seiko11 posted:

I also drew a lot of maps for Frieren. I wanted to capture the atmosphere of hand-drawn maps on parchment, so I used ink and a pen to write on textured paper.
I focused on the subtleties of ink, the slight variations, and the slightly darker edges of the letters that are hard to replicate digitally. I chose the parchment from several options at an art supply store, selecting the one that I liked the most.

(twitter)

The King's Tomb dungeon internals in the manga are rather generic looking for the most part. Like a lot of the settings, they expanded on things and made it feel much more integrated into the overall design of the world...

@seiko11 posted:

I drew various murals, including those depicting Ewig and the Unified Dynasty period (layout only). It was enjoyable to consider the lighting as well.

(twitter)

@seiko11 posted:

I placed the design of the unified dynasty's royal crest in various locations in the Ruins of the King's Tomb, and it was a lot of fun to draw.

(twitter)

More production art posts for Qual's barrier location, the shipwreck beach town, the village where Frieren lived, Graf Granat's walled city, Riegel Valley.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Goddamn I love anime

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

One of the few redeeming features of social media for me is the trend, over the past decade or so, of creatives sharing production art for shows as they're being broadcast. It's fun to get some glimpses of what was going on to make it all happen and often in a less heavily polished and curated (and more timely) form than an artbook.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Serie may be annoyed by a few of the participants, but imagine how she must have felt when Land was doing is Wizzard From Home routine during her meeting.

Arc Hammer posted:

Since everyone in Frieren has a German name that reflects them in some way I'm half expecting Sein's best friend to reappear at some point as a literal Gorilla Warrior.

Gorilla isn't even his name. It's just what Sein always called him to the point where he completely blanked on his given name. He didn't think to ask any of the other people who knew him either.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Loved Serie's evil smile when Wirbel told her his magic philosophy.

E: Speaking of Wirbel, I found his backstory surprisingly touching. The idea that it's the little things that actually affected their communities that people remember Himmel for, more than the high level heroics.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004
I’m wondering if Wirbel was being intentionally facetious when he mentioned to Freiren that he was only trying to threaten Ferns party. That initially volley of offensive magic he casted at Fern definitely had a killing intent unless Zoltrak can be set to stun or something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Carnival47 posted:

I’m wondering if Wirbel was being intentionally facetious when he mentioned to Freiren that he was only trying to threaten Ferns party. That initially volley of offensive magic he casted at Fern definitely had a killing intent unless Zoltrak can be set to stun or something.

I mean it seems like it can based on what happened with Ehre.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Also feels like everyone who is able to participate in a 1st class test better be able to defend against ordinary offensive magic, or what the gently caress are you doing there?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I love that Wirbel's whole schtick boils down to "I'm a nice guy, I just look and dress like a shonen villain"

Also I'm consistently amazed by how much this show manages to squeeze into one episode. I thought for sure that they would have to cut some part out for time but not one bit.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Serie may be annoyed by a few of the participants, but imagine how she must have felt when Land was doing is Wizzard From Home routine during her meeting.

"This motherfucker TELECONFERENCED IN?

poo poo, that does take balls to try. You're in"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 23, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: oops doublepost

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

A Happy Spinning Fern

https://i.imgur.com/MxwzXhr.mp4

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

A spell that does the laundry instantly is such a good spell, and that's me speaking of someone who has a modern washing machine. When you read of how much work and time and urine was involved in doing laundry in medieval times, gently caress yeah clean clothes spell.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Some extreme maid Mori energy

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gully Foyle posted:

A spell that does the laundry instantly is such a good spell, and that's me speaking of someone who has a modern washing machine. When you read of how much work and time and urine was involved in doing laundry in medieval times, gently caress yeah clean clothes spell.

Even if there are soap spells, having a spell that just works is much better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I love that Wirbel's whole schtick boils down to "I'm a nice guy, I just look and dress like a shonen villain"

Well, he is a professional killer, but even then he's doing it within a socially approved context.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gully Foyle posted:

Serie is mostly pissed that now she doesn't have that
Spell anymore. That's how her thing works right?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

shes literally glowing when frieren gives her a head pat :3

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

shes literally glowing when frieren gives her a head pat :3

Effortlessly clean clothes *and* head pats. It doesn't get better than that, really.

Well, maybe some tasty snacks.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Quinton posted:

The twitter posts from Seiko Yoshioka (concept artist, layout designer, worldview illustrator) are pretty great and often help show how much thought the team put into adapting the setting to screen...

Compare to how Wirbel's comments on the stories of Himmel the Hero were illustrated in the manga:

The King's Tomb dungeon internals in the manga are rather generic looking for the most part. Like a lot of the settings, they expanded on things and made it feel much more integrated into the overall design of the world...

More production art posts for Qual's barrier location, the shipwreck beach town, the village where Frieren lived, Graf Granat's walled city, Riegel Valley.

Great stuff, thanks. I always felt like the interiors were the weakest part of the manga art; just felt too spare, artificial, simple. The art team.for the show has done incredible work making places seem actually lived-in in that way older buildings/cities do.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Serie is mostly pissed that now she doesn't have that
Spell anymore. That's how her thing works right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a manga spoiler as it hasn't been brought up in the show yet?

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Watched the last episode and enjoyed it, glad the season ended on the more philosophical and meditative note which is what I enjoy most from the show. Very glad they didn't make the last 2 episodes of the season more mage fights, which are by far the weakest part of the show for me. Overall I enjoyed the season despite some criticisms and look forward to a season 2, might check out the manga.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
really incredible adaptation work all around. the choices of four episodes to start, where the break occurred, and where the season finished, all very correct. went ham on the aspects that only animation can bring to the table, and grasped the right set of themes to tie it up well. massive standout in an era of relatively mid adaptations. excited for what these guys do next; too bad i'm out of the loop on new manga and all my favorites have been adapted as of this season

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

A knife to my throat? heh. child's play. bitchmmade. I could've killed you 80000 times by now, even as we speak. you pass. get out of my sight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gorilla isn't even his name. It's just what Sein always called him to the point where he completely blanked on his given name. He didn't think to ask any of the other people who knew him either.

Wizard From Home policy is canceled, Return to Office in full effect.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
so does Ubel ever actually act up in the manga or does she just naturally have an air of menace rooted in her decidedly magely outlook on the world

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

so does Ubel ever actually act up in the manga or does she just naturally have an air of menace rooted in her decidedly magely outlook on the world

That's probably a question to ask in the manga thread rather than here.

However, you might have noticed that this story has a running gag about presenting menacing characters and then proceeding to undercut that by giving them depth and humanity. Denken, Wirbel, Serie, etc.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
that was a strong final episode.
So Serie's garden was made by flower magic afterall.
loved the final dialogue talks with the people that passed. Denken actually had a ton of screentime. Methode just thinking Serie was adorable. Wouldn't mind a spin-off for her.

Lenren's super refined dark Zoltrack was pretty crazy. I think Frieren's ace card i'm looking at you forcepush would still let her win about almost all near-death situations. Aww, Serie is the ultimate tsundere. She cares about all her students.

Can't believe Land passed, I guess he got 'guts' but really, he didn't do anything really during the exam lol. He won like one battle in the forest, that's it.

banning Frieren for a thousands years lol. She's just like well whatever, that's like one year or something to me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GateOfD posted:

Can't believe Land passed, I guess he got 'guts' but really, he didn't do anything really during the exam lol. He won like one battle in the forest, that's it.

I mean when you think about it, he was technically "invincible" - he could have just made any number of clones for any of the tests. Unless it was something asinine like "use your most powerful magic spell" or something he was pretty well positioned to pass.

Land owns, Ubel owns, Ubel annoying Land owns

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Land was just being smart. If you can make perfect copies of yourself, you'd be stupid to ever put the "real" you anywhere near to anything even potentially dangerous.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

Being powerful means gently caress all if you're dead or become an injured liability. If Land can send out clones to do all his poo poo for him with zero risk to himself but gets whatever knowledge they get that is incredibly advantageous for a variety of reasons, especially if all the clones have the same abilities as the original. Even Ubel recognized the value in that immediately.

Land passed all parts of the exam completely untouched.

That kind of haxx bullshit is incredibly up Serie's alley.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

If Serie misses all of her students so much why doesn't she just go to Ende with Frieren?

Yes I realize this is a "why don't they just ride the eagles" question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Sachant posted:

If Serie misses all of her students so much why doesn't she just go to Ende with Frieren?

Yes I realize this is a "why don't they just ride the eagles" question.

I think she'd have to admit to herself that she misses them first.