Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

i bet they don't, remember how the resolution to the guy who stabbed ryo aoki in 7 and the entire political back half of the plot was "he was arrested offscreen" and "nothing really came of it" lol

it does feel like they've kinda played out the "everyone has disbanded! but" scenario enough that i could see a pivot to some factional stuff. which also plays well with kasuga making friends wherever he goes

e: just adding this because thats a bad first post

stuker fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

To be fair, Kume getting arrested offscreen and everyone forgetting about him is probably the worst punishment you can give to that guy. And something did come out of the political back half of 7, the Daidoji were supporting Aoki's party in 7, and him dying screwed them over and made them lose a lot of clout by the time 8 happens.

Last Celebration posted:

Chapter 13: it is a very odd decision to have the fanatic cult members out in full swing, reveal that it’s probably because Lani’s still in Honolulu, and then give me Joongi Han, like I’m not gonna run across the entire map for the conversations and into every applicable restaurant for the party chats. I guess I’m glad they put him in at all though!

Also the scooter is very unintentionally funny for ruining tension since you can zoom past like 90% of the cult encounters.

I do feel like you can solve the tension in that situation about why Bryce hasn't ordered Dwight to kill Lani the second they captured her by having Lani hide the real sage's necklace. Bryce can't risk the necklace surfacing again so he plans to force the information out of her. Then it turns out Lani entrusted the necklace to Ichiban so that the two actually get some time to interact.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't feel it was ever explained why the necklace was in any way a big deal. like, everyone's personally loyal to bryce, not to the necklace! he could just say 'oh that's a fake. piss off, heretic'". he could have gotten an identical fake made for himself!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't feel it was ever explained why the necklace was in any way a big deal. like, everyone's personally loyal to bryce, not to the necklace! he could just say 'oh that's a fake. piss off, heretic'". he could have gotten an identical fake made for himself!

the man can barely speak english. nobody will be convinced

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Finished Yakuza 5: Men would rather embark on insane schemes than get therapy.

Definitely felt like it was hitting the same heights as 0 in places even if a few parts felt like they went on too long. End boss was up there with Shibusawa, I loved the dynamism of fighting through Tojo HQ and having lots of impactful QTEs. Should've known that guy was gonna be trouble as soon as I saw the carp on his back. Majima shouldn't be allowed to watch Naruto though.

Also everything with Haruka was great, it really has been nice seeing her grow up through the series. I hope there's more idol stuff to come for her.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Welp, I finished Dondoko last night, which was the last chunk of content from 8 I wanted to finish before Dragon's Dogma comes out. I put about 120 hours into my playthrough. I love these stupid games, even if the ending kinda sucked.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shyrka posted:

Finished Yakuza 5: Men would rather embark on insane schemes than get therapy.

Definitely felt like it was hitting the same heights as 0 in places even if a few parts felt like they went on too long. End boss was up there with Shibusawa, I loved the dynamism of fighting through Tojo HQ and having lots of impactful QTEs. Should've known that guy was gonna be trouble as soon as I saw the carp on his back. Majima shouldn't be allowed to watch Naruto though.

Also everything with Haruka was great, it really has been nice seeing her grow up through the series. I hope there's more idol stuff to come for her.

Ahh I really hated the final boss of Y5 for gameplay reasons.The music was banger and the fight was epic though. Story wise it definitey didn't feel as epic as previous finales.

I am at the same part as you, but I do believe this is the only game with Haruko's idol stuff.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm watching a movie starring Hitoshi Ozawa, who played Kuze, and there's a guy in a minor role I couldn't quite place (Yasukaze Motomiya, who I had seen in baby assassins last year) . Turns out he played Shishido. And then the final fight is Kuze vs Tsuruno's actor. Sheesh!
They really should have found a way to get Kuroda in it too.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 22, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok so I called Ishin grindy in a fun way, even after all the chicken racing, grinding for materials, dungeons farming, arena farming and actual farming. But now I just found how you grind for specific seals :shepicide:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

news from the ground: there is not actually a PC store, let alone a sujimon dungeon, in the Ala Moana Mall. I’m uninstalling Hawaii right now and going home

also no Jeff’s taco truck, which I feel like should have been a place of honor

overall it’s crazy how well they captured the vibe, though. I walked by the square where you get your Segway and was kind of blown away

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

amigolupus posted:

To be fair, Kume getting arrested offscreen and everyone forgetting about him is probably the worst punishment you can give to that guy. And something did come out of the political back half of 7, the Daidoji were supporting Aoki's party in 7, and him dying screwed them over and made them lose a lot of clout by the time 8 happens.

it also explains their entire motivation in 8: basically doing oppo research, because they correctly sniffed out that Akane had to do with Palekana and that might turn out to be a political vulnerability for the party that took power from theirs.

ANYWAY I beat LAD8 this week and I loved the game but boy was that main plot some total horseshit! It just about worked well enough to have enough situations that let you get to know and hang out with and develop the characters, but it's a near thing. And the actual plot in-and-of-itself was really bad. Just like, didn't make sense, didn't connect emotionally, had absolutely no tension and terrible pacing. It's weird because the character writing was great, but the things they're supposed to care about and the situations they find themselves in was just outright bad.

so then I decided the time was right to play The Kaito Files and HOLY gently caress was that the opposite. A tiiiiiny bit predictable, but phenomenally paced, tense as gently caress, constant cool poo poo and big revelations, complicated but ultimately sensible, and with drat good character work too. It had maybe the most evil villain I've seen in the RGG games too, gently caress that guy!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

tracecomplete posted:

news from the ground: there is not actually a PC store, let alone a sujimon dungeon, in the Ala Moana Mall. I’m uninstalling Hawaii right now and going home

overall it’s crazy how well they captured the vibe, though. I walked by the square where you get your Segway and was kind of blown away

did you run into any old men trying to make it snow?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

did you run into any old men trying to make it snow?

I don’t want to talk about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

tracecomplete posted:

I've been to Honolulu once, stayed in a condo thar was right next to the safe room is at (there's a giant residential tower there). But going down Waikiki Beach I was immediately reminded of my time there and how close it was.

I never did go across the way to check out the arts district or what district 5 might look like. If I go again...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sotendotonbori is also very unrealistic because none of the games depict the absolutely Times Square levels of butt to nut overcrowding that it has irl as I found out today and yesterday

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tracecomplete posted:

never been to hawaii but i went to kabubicho in 2019 during a trip to tokyo and dotonbori last year when i hit osaka/kyoto/nara plus a couple days in tokyo surrounding flights. could navigate both thanks to these games without needing to look at a map

Sapozhnik posted:

Sotendotonbori is also very unrealistic because none of the games depict the absolutely Times Square levels of butt to nut overcrowding that it has irl as I found out today and yesterday

not too crowded in november

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sapozhnik posted:

How many people have you thrown in the river so far??

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
not enough, clearly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn’t find it that crowded either when I spent like 2 weeks there on vacation a few years ago :shrug:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ulio posted:

Ok so I called Ishin grindy in a fun way, even after all the chicken racing, grinding for materials, dungeons farming, arena farming and actual farming. But now I just found how you grind for specific seals :shepicide:

You don't need to grind to beat the game at all fwiw

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

tracecomplete posted:

Is it true that the Honk Honk boys aren't as attractive irl?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Please tell me all the bosses in Kiwami aren’t as bad as Shimano in Chapter 3. It was like fighting a brick wall. I played all of 0 on Hard but if this is what Kiwami is like I’ll bump it down to Normal

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You gotta invest in your heat moves so you can use them to cancel the boss healing so the bosses get easier as you unlock more moves.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I did, he used that a total of 2 times during the fight. The other 90% of it was chipping away at his health while most of his attacks would instantly known me down,

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Shimano super sucks but it gets a lot better after him.

Majima can get really bad after a while though, so it's well worth doing the coliseum/Komaki to learn Tiger Drop which just deletes health bars.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Don’t listen to anyone who hits you with an “:actually: any heat move will cancel the regen”, those people are misinformed.

It has to be the matching style after buying the relevant anti-regen heat skill OR if you have a weapon to hand then weapon heat moves also work.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Larry Cum Free posted:

Is it true that the Honk Honk boys aren't as attractive irl?

they’re real and they’re spectacular

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol at the level 5 Joongi Drink Link. im very glad they made him playable if the plan otherwise was “nah bro, just stay here and do all the boring poo poo while I do the fun poo poo”

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

You don't need to grind to beat the game at all fwiw

Ya I know but this is one of the few Yakuza games along with 0 where I have gotten the urge to do all the sidestuff. Definitely feels like grinding for gear is not balanced for normal difficulty at all, even on the highest dungeons you just destroy everything if you even slightly upgrade your gear. I completed all the arena stuff, broke the chicken racing, got the strongest sword in the game and basically a pistol thats like a machine gun. But that completely broke the game's balance.

Could just rush the story now but this will be my most played Yakuza game by a long shot, which I was not expecting but loving the setting even though the map isn't as interesting as Kamurucho and the story so far is not at the level of usual Yakuza twists but it's getting there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, does Kiwami not have any arcade games?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RatHat posted:

Please tell me all the bosses in Kiwami aren’t as bad as Shimano in Chapter 3. It was like fighting a brick wall. I played all of 0 on Hard but if this is what Kiwami is like I’ll bump it down to Normal

They are not cept for the 2nd to last one and its more annoying than what big boy does, big boy is just there to show off the kiwami move

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kiwami has at least two bosses that are much worse than that one

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RatHat posted:

Huh, does Kiwami not have any arcade games?

Arcade games didnt really drop in the series until uhh 4/5?? Im almost sure kiwami has some 0 ones tho but cant remember tbh. K2 adds in the usual and new ones but dont go expecting any in 3 apart from that shootem up thing they made for the ps2 games

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It is probably a good thing that engaging with the side dungeons is in no way mandatory but I’m gonna be real here, LAD8 could have used a Hard mode that’s just “make the enemies +5 levels higher” for the main campaign if you do engage with said side stuff more than a NG+ thing, like most of the brawler LAD games have from Kiwami onward. The bad guys are all tools though so it’s still kinda cathartic to roll up to every fight stupidly overleveled regardless.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

It is probably a good thing that engaging with the side dungeons is in no way mandatory but I’m gonna be real here, LAD8 could have used a Hard mode that’s just “make the enemies +5 levels higher” for the main campaign if you do engage with said side stuff more than a NG+ thing, like most of the brawler LAD games have from Kiwami onward. The bad guys are all tools though so it’s still kinda cathartic to roll up to every fight stupidly overleveled regardless.

This is the issue I faced with Ishin as well. I didn't do all the sidestuff to get stupidly overleveled or rich. I did it because it was fun and I wanted a fancy flame dragon katana. I am not a JRPG expert but having played a few of them from what I notice usually the side stuff is near the end game or just straight up post game. For example in Ishin you find the arena pretty early and as soon as you join the Shinsengumi you an do the dungeons. The last dungeon of the Shinsengumi is much harder than anything in the base game, which is fine but there should be things locked for closer to the end so you can't just overlevel yourself. Same with the arena, if you can get through some of the arena fights, nothing in the game is as hard. Or if you are gonna offer all the sidestuff from the get go, increase it's difficulty much more so you can't use that to grind as easily.

It's a minor gripe though, but ya there could be ways to improve the balance in that sense.

Also, I have started using a Yakuza playlist for my workout and its my favorite since the Doom ost as a workout backdrop. The series has some of my favorite tracks in gaming such as Soma's theme from LJ, Shibusawa' theme and Kuze's in 0. But man the quality is pretty high across all games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
IW Finale: kinda hits home with Kiryu putting on the old fit and slicking back his hair that, man, he really is over the hill. I’m sure it’s the same model but he looks way more careworn. Lukewarm, very wild take, I’m sure. Also they better have a drat good reason for not just letting me freely swap between towns so I have to grind mobs by the pier for cough drops in Hawaii

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vikar Jerome posted:

Arcade games didnt really drop in the series until uhh 4/5?? Im almost sure kiwami has some 0 ones tho but cant remember tbh. K2 adds in the usual and new ones but dont go expecting any in 3 apart from that shootem up thing they made for the ps2 games

its called boxcelios you philistine

or maybe arcelios and boxcelios was the sequel they put in lost judgment?

whatever celios it was it rocked, saejima escaping prison and immediately becoming an arcade shooter high score champion might be my favorite part of Y4 lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Every time a LaD game does not have Space Harrier, it is an affront to me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm the worst Space Harrier player in the world. I really like playing it, but I'm just not any good at it despite spending a decent amount of time playing it over the years (you had to do something to kill time in Shenmue 1, as they didn't add a time skip feature until 2).

I think someone in this thread said you can only be good at OutRun or Space Harrier but not both, and that seems accurate because between those two, all my skill went to OutRun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I cannot for the life of me figure out Fantasy Zone, I just get myself owned each time I play it. I know it's best to go for engine upgrades first because they're permanent but my brain cannot adjust.

I was able to get the completion points in Out Run, Space Harrier and Super Hang-On, but Fantasy Zone forever escapes me.