Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i feel like gundog is way less prone to friendly fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, because it's less prone to "fire" in general

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

ohrwurm posted:

what's the point of gundog when laserdog exists?

Ask yourself why the regular liberator exists when the beam rifle (scythe?) exists? Liberator does much better when not landing precision headshots all the time, or against some kinds of bug armor and such. Same reasoning applies to the guard dogs - its literally a drone with a liberator or a drone with a scythe. I don't really find the gundog running out of ammo very often but I also spend and pick up ammo often. I find there's so many ammo boxes lying around map points and people dying but respawning with full ammo that it isn't much of a problem to supply - I tend to go nuts and spend ammo liberally.

Having said that, the payoff for bothering is minor. I also generally like to hold ground and wipe out the enemies when possible so if you spend a lot of time running away I'm sure the laser one is a bit more useful.

Griz
May 21, 2001

the main benefit of the laser dog for me is as an early warning system for some poo poo that spawned behind me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captainicus posted:

Ask yourself why the regular liberator exists when the beam rifle (scythe?) exists? Liberator does much better when not landing precision headshots all the time, or against some kinds of bug armor and such. Same reasoning applies to the guard dogs - its literally a drone with a liberator or a drone with a scythe. I don't really find the gundog running out of ammo very often but I also spend and pick up ammo often. I find there's so many ammo boxes lying around map points and people dying but respawning with full ammo that it isn't much of a problem to supply - I tend to go nuts and spend ammo liberally.

Having said that, the payoff for bothering is minor. I also generally like to hold ground and wipe out the enemies when possible so if you spend a lot of time running away I'm sure the laser one is a bit more useful.
Did they change it so the gundog actually gets ammo back on picking up ammo boxes(not resupply boxes)? It definitely didn't before.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

Did they change it so the gundog actually gets ammo back on picking up ammo boxes(not resupply boxes)? It definitely didn't before.

I think they did when they also made the spear do it. I can't say with 100% certainty though, because I rarely use drones.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the laser dog is supposed to overheat but almost never does

they're probably afraid to nerf it after the rg stuff though

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

As much fun as GL + Ammo backpack are, my eyes are wondering towards the laser dog for trash clearing. That thing slaps, and it frees up my #3 for EATS, at least for bugs. I have yet to test it on bots.

Also, I learned that rocket eagles are really good at clearing shrieker nests. They seem to zero right in on the top of the nest like they do with the giant turrets in bot missions.

I really wish this game had a way to save loadouts.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

I have seen it pick up a few spares for your backpack, but it burns through ammo like, well, an actual liberator. Plus it still has a habit of just firing useless shots into fence posts between you and the enemy while looting PoI. So it is very much "Fun while it lasts" that runs dry quickly. Annihilates bot troopers once in range but because you are often trying to do long range cover shooting, welp.

A stronger backpack that will burn out half it's ammo before it is time to get dug in for some objective bullshit, vs a "weaker" backpack that can keep firing.

EDIT: oh my loving god. The guard dog shoots the rear end of the walker instead of the pilot if you get behind them :cripes: Did confirm it is 3/6 backpack mags per supply box though!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 23, 2024

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

As much fun as GL + Ammo backpack are, my eyes are wondering towards the laser dog for trash clearing.

its very very easy to get by without the supply backpack with the gl. floor ammo is plentiful.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

I have seen it pick up a few spares for your backpack,
No, I mean the difference between resupply pickups and the ammo pickups that're at points of interest and such.

I just went and checked-guard dog starts with a mag loaded and 6 backups on the backpack.
Grabbing a resupply gives 3 mags on the backpack.
Grabbing an ammo drop gives nothing. No mags get added to the backpack, and no bullets for the drone's loaded mag either.

^Note the backpack still containing 2 mags after grabbing the ammo drop.

It is common for it to burn 4 magazines faster than the time it takes for you to get another resupply, making you go ammo negative.
So you just gradually run out of ammo and don't get back up to full unless you call in a fresh new guard dog.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

It is common for it to burn 4 magazines faster than the time it takes for you to get another resupply, making you go ammo negative.
So you just gradually run out of ammo and don't get back up to full unless you call in a fresh new guard dog.

I blame people calling the laser backpack overpowered nonstop sinking into my subconscious to trick me into thinking the bullet drone was not quite as hosed as I thought it was.

Guess I was too busy discovering it will aim an inch below the feet of a vulnerable scout pilot on purpose, to remember to check stray ammo too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait the bullet dog actually has limited ammo? I thought it just had to resupply more often than the laser god. drat that's bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, it goes back to the backpack when it runs out of bullets(does not take long) and then you can actually watch it slot in a new magazine with an articulated arm thing.

Which is a cute little detail that unfortunately is related to why it's bad :v:
That being the downtime, both short-term from frequently reloading and long-term from completely running out of magazines.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Black Noise posted:

I’d recognize that Power Rangers SNES music anywhere
it was the Contra Hard Corps music that got me lol

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The ammo balance of guns feels like they threw darts at a wall. The regular MG only gets 1 mag per supply (the Stalwart gets all three back), the Spear used to get 0 from ammo boxes, AMR only gets 2/6 mags back. Most of the primaries get all mags back from supply boxes and half from ammo boxes but I know there's some that don't get a full restock from supplies. It's all scattershot and dumb.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I'm glad it doesn't. Unless you're only running the same missions all the time with the same group it doesn't make sense. Gotta diversify your stratagems and adjust the loadout to what the squad needs to survive encounters. There's no on-size fits all meta loudout.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

dog nougat posted:

I'm glad it doesn't. Unless you're only running the same missions all the time with the same group it doesn't make sense. Gotta diversify your stratagems and adjust the loadout to what the squad needs to survive encounters. There's no on-size fits all meta loudout.

Exactly, saving loadouts would let you quickly swap to different ones!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Also, I learned that rocket eagles are really good at clearing shrieker nests. They seem to zero right in on the top of the nest like they do with the giant turrets in bot missions.

Huh, hadn't thought to try those. Will they 1 shot each nest structure?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dog nougat posted:

I'm frequently running the same few setups anyhow. The point of loadouts would be to more frequently and conveniently use a variety of things, not just one single thing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

dog nougat posted:

I’ve been running the same setup since week 2. Granted we use EATs instead of the railgun and the Sickle instead of the breaker now. Functionally the same JOHN RAMBO loadout

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I mean it's 5 things to select before a mission, 9 if you count weapons and armor, 11 max if you wanna have matching cape and helmet. It's not that complicated to select things based on the mission parameters/whatever people in your squad have selected. I don't feel like you should be selecting the same things regularly to necessitate the need to have preset/custom loadouts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dog nougat posted:

I don't feel like you should be selecting the same things regularly
Well, I am, so tough

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

dog nougat posted:

I mean it's 5 things to select before a mission, 9 if you count weapons and armor,
I mean, I change all those things on the regular depending on the planet, enemy, and mission type. For games I host it's not a problem, but for joining a group, I don't want to leave everyone waiting on me to go through all the menus picking my kit.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I would 100% use presets for Bots vs Bugs even if the only thing it did was automatically switch my gun between the Slugger and the Sickle.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I hate when I forget to swap my grenades from contact to timed between bot and bug missions, and would love a quick way to remind myself, like a preset.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think there should be a "randomize loadout" button

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

How about both, I pick a loadout of 3 stratagems and #4 is a wildcard

Edit: And it doesn't tell you what the wildcard is until the first time you use it

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

No, I mean the difference between resupply pickups and the ammo pickups that're at points of interest and such.

I just went and checked-guard dog starts with a mag loaded and 6 backups on the backpack.
Grabbing a resupply gives 3 mags on the backpack.
Grabbing an ammo drop gives nothing. No mags get added to the backpack, and no bullets for the drone's loaded mag either.

^Note the backpack still containing 2 mags after grabbing the ammo drop.

Thank you for testing, I was clearly mistaken! Super earth praises your dedication

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
The Slugger opening shipping containers is probably one of my favorite things and if they take that away I will be sad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The first Helldivers had saved loadouts so I don't see why they won't eventually put that in HD2. And also why it didn't ship with it in the first place.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So I picked up this game the other day after seeing lots of fun memes. I played the original years ago and dug it, but sorta forgot about it I guess, but 2 came on my radar a while back after that Starship Troopers game came out but since I don't have a gaming PC and I'm not crazy about FPS's, I'm happy to have given this game my money!

Also, whoever ikillulots is on PSN, you're playing at a much different level than me, sorry I was such a liability, but it was great following your lead!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Hakarne posted:

Huh, hadn't thought to try those. Will they 1 shot each nest structure?

Seemed like it did on the nest structures I set it on: I set the stratagem ball at the base of the structure and the rockets struck the top, mulching it. The thing that gave me the idea to try was I've been reliably using eagle rockets on bot factories and those bigass turrets.

I did note that 2 EATs seem to do the job, too. I do need to do some more testing for both, however.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

This game sucks and I hate it. Just lost on the third mission of the level 6 it is bullshit. I’m just not good enough and the net code or something is haram and doesn’t let anyone join you after the group gets whittled down. There are too many bugs and they kill the running guys. It’s so stupid. The sickle sucks and I’m super far from the slugger which sounds right up my alley. Oh what’s that 285 medals ok. Garbage game.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

This game sucks and I hate it. Just lost on the third mission of the level 6 it is bullshit. I’m just not good enough and the net code or something is haram and doesn’t let anyone join you after the group gets whittled down. There are too many bugs and they kill the running guys. It’s so stupid. The sickle sucks and I’m super far from the slugger which sounds right up my alley. Oh what’s that 285 medals ok. Garbage game.

Source your quotes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone else getting freeze crashes during big fights? There doesn't seem to be any consistency to the crashes, audio continues as normal but the screen is frozen and I can only sign out and back into windows to fix it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

another victim of bug derangement syndrome

don't let this happen to you soldier!

kill some automatons today!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Have you ever played a Bethesda game

I played Starfield for like 50 hours and it never crashed :shrug:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

This game sucks and I hate it. Just lost on the third mission of the level 6 it is bullshit. I’m just not good enough and the net code or something is haram and doesn’t let anyone join you after the group gets whittled down.

I was stuck on level 6 for awhile, too. People who crash don't give up their slot in your server so others can't join in. You can fix it by closing out the game and starting it up again. I got past 6 when I restarted the game before the third mission so I could have a full group again.

This is also why I insist on hosting, I couldn't get past level 7 when joining others since either the host will quit before the operation is over or kick to make room for friends (or maybe no reason idk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
post your fit

I've been wearing this setup for a little while now. at least half the reason for this is because I like the profile of the wide brim, especially from behind and when carrying a machinegun

world war era US grunt vibes