Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Someone explained to Ohtani or his attorneys got wind of what was going on because sending money via wire to cover gambling debts is still a big deal felony.

is it the gambling debts thats a felony, or just covering for people in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He said he was making between 300k-500k more recently.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

I agree it makes the most sense, but why is ESPN now changing their story on this?

Because they don't want to open the box of "Well Ohtani admitted to committing a felony in the open."

Charitably -- At least without verifying it elsewhere. Unless they get Ohtani on record himself, which is absolutely not happening now.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

is it the gambling debts thats a felony, or just covering for people in general

I am not an attorney but I think it's specifically because they're knowingly being used to pay an illegal bookmaker.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dameius posted:

80k a year seems really low for a job with that many hours and that much travel.
have you heard of a man named Arte Moreno?

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Because they don't want to open the box of "Well Ohtani admitted to committing a felony in the open."

Charitably -- At least without verifying it elsewhere. Unless they get Ohtani on record himself, which is absolutely not happening now.
so ESPN is changing their reporting of what Ippei said to them in a (presumably recorded) phone call 3 days ago, because ESPN independently wants to cover Ohtani's rear end?

Their initial report was that Ippei told them Ohtani committed a felony. Now they say Ippei did not tell them that. These are both reports of what Ippei told them the first time, not what he told them later when his story changed.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 23, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

seemed too absurd to be serious but perhaps we're getting some Dodgers Derangement Syndrome flare ups around SAS these days

I don't see this "scandal" a big deal personally. Hope Shohei can keep his mind focused on hitting baseballs.

Disclaimer: I'm a degenerate gambler

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

have you heard of a man named Arte Moreno?

so ESPN is changing their reporting of what Ippei said to them in a (presumably recorded) phone call 3 days ago, because ESPN independently wants to cover Ohtani's rear end?

I would say that it's more that ESPN wants to cover their own rear end if that becomes liable? If it's recorded then who knows, just a guess.

The entire thing is very, very strange.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remembering when that golf hustler jordan owed all that money to released his book and then imagining that instead it's a 14 year old who kept beating shohei at fortnight

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

what kinda bookie lets an interpreter run up $4.5M in unpaid gambling debts?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The kind that likes to cozy up to pro athletes at poker games and knows that interpreter is reportedly the closest confidant of the most famous baseball player in the world?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah there are absolutely bookies in japan who'd eat a 4-5 million dollar loss to try to get a favor out of ohtani through his interpreter/friend

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fate Accomplice posted:

what kinda bookie lets an interpreter run up $4.5M in unpaid gambling debts?

One who is bad enough at his job that the FBI would have him in his sights?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hell even if they weren't angling to try and get favors out of Ohtani, the guy was pretty well known as Ohtani's close friend and it would probably have been believable for him to - lie or truth - run up a ton of debt by insisting Ohtani knew what he was doing and willing to make good on it.

Dameius posted:

80k a year seems really low for a job with that many hours and that much travel.

The team presumably pays for all his travel and provides him a per diem on top. I also cannot imagine Ohtani would let him pay for a single thing any time the two of them were together, which from my understanding was very, very often.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ohtani, as a hundred millionaire should've made sure that his "best friend" who was around him all the time made a hell of a lot more than 85k.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eventually he did, but early on Arte gonna Arte

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Forrest on Fire posted:

This is what you get for not signing with the Cubs :shrug:

:hmmyes:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Just lol if you don’t think Ohtani was deep in this

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

ugh

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can’t wait to walk past a sad table at a baseball card convention where Shohei and Pete Rose are scribbling their name for 20 bucks a pop.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Well Played Mauer posted:

Just lol if you don’t think Ohtani was deep in this

Yeah that'd be like the hit king being involved in gambling

Fortunately, Ichiro was not involved in gambling

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Eventually he did, but early on Arte gonna Arte

I'm sorry your ace pitcher is the most despicable player in the sport. Again.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

A Rose by any other name, that's for sure.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:perfect:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Very cool that we’re now comparing Ohtani to massive shitstain Trevor Bauer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

that's pete rose, bawfuls

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

shohei and betts having a 7 minute fight in a parking lot because ohtani keeps demanding that mookie hits ok on a 7 game march madness parlay in his draft kings app

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 23, 2024

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Comparing Ohtani to a pedophile seems a bit extreme

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:discourse:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

that's pete rose, bawfuls
Pete rose is also a rapist shitstain, but I was talking about Forrest on Fire’s post

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the post that's about Ohtani?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JoeyVotto/status/1770934890487292183
https://twitter.com/JoeyVotto/status/1771280591083684097

:allears:

Also good news sounds like Ryne Sandberg is on the road to beating his cancer:

https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1771302833385595370

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Traxis posted:

Comparing Ohtani to a pedophile seems a bit extreme

Speaking of pedophiles I looked up what’s up with Franco… he’s still in some kind of limbo in the DR. The Rays have zero intention of keeping him on the roster but the question of what move they will make exactly is up in the air. Contractually he was a no-show for spring training.

Last season, all parties involved (league, union, team, and player) agreed to put him on paid administrative leave when the story broke and before we knew what was going on. According to the Times, he’s eating a roster spot until opening day and they need to figure out whether he’ll be put on the administrative list (paid) or restricted list (not paid, disciplinary).

The legal case has still gone nowhere and he’s convinced he’s going to be back on the team. He can’t enter the country without a very high risk of getting tossed in the slammer. They can’t just void his contract because nothing has actually happened yet, but he’s also only owed $2 million this year so there’s still time for things to play out. For the Rays’ part, they don’t want anything to do with him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

the post that's about Ohtani?
Turn your monitor on

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Pete rose is also a rapist shitstain, but I was talking about Forrest on Fire’s post

he used the term "in the sport" and bauer is not in the sport at the moment!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Yeah you're right

Ohtani is a DH not a pitcher for the Dodgers. I should've stuck with Pete Rose for my bad faith comps. Calling balls and strikes in these difficult times :patriot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Also good news sounds like Ryne Sandberg is on the road to beating his cancer:

https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1771302833385595370

Glad he's doing well. also not gonna lie I thought that was Michael Keaton at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Turn your monitor on

yeah man he's not pitching for a year but I still read that as acknowleding Ohtani is the best pitcher your boys have, but I'll make sure to turn my monitor on in the interim