Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A Moose posted:

I think since you started playing Magic with Arena, you might be a little confused. People's reaction to alchemy cards entering wider formats isn't typical of normal standard cards. Alchemy is a special kind of bullshit that should be contained to its own space so that we don't have to deal with it in Brawl for example. Alchemy cards are often poorly designed, gimmicky, and also really hard to play around because not only do you have to know what a card does, but also have all the spellbooks memorized. And that's not even getting into collecting the cards themselves. What happens when you craft a new, super OP alchemy card to make a tier 1 deck and it gets rebalanced? Now it's probably useless and you get nothing back.

I'm actually surprised that the Alchemy cards I've seen have been doing that sort of blatantly unbalanced nonsense, and not the thing that I think would be perfect for them: making cards that are perfectly balanced, but are just too much trouble to make worthwhile in paper. I always think of Suspend being a 9 on the storm scale purely for logistical reasons; Alchemy would be a perfect fit for more cards like that, which are perfectly fair but just work so much better in a simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

If you want people to actually use the cards unique to the format and thus spend wildcards on them they need to be on par or better than available rares in standard. Ignoring how hard it is to simulate card value in a vacuum as prerelease predictions routinely show, on rate cards mostly do not get people excited.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know it's stupid but I kind of just wish there was a formula to creature costs. Like each colored pip after the first was equivalent to 2 colorless, that sort of thing.

not sure what you mean. like you want to be able to pay any 1 mana pip with 2 of any mana type?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

kalel posted:

not sure what you mean. like you want to be able to pay any 1 mana pip with 2 of any mana type?

Spectral procession everything

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

imweasel09 posted:

Are we all just conveniently ignoring sheoldred when talking about creatures that don't give immediate value when played. It's a 4 mana do nothing if you remove it when it comes it's just a complete back breaker when you don't.

I don't know, "deal with it before your draw step" is pretty close to immediate value. If your opponent didn't kill it immediately, its because they either don't have removal in hand or were tapped out when you played it, and there's a few ways you can draw some cards and gain some life the turn you play it. It's kind of up there with things that trigger at the beginning of combat, or at the end of your turn, where your opponent can technically deal with them if they held up removal and mana, but otherwise its effectively an ETB.

I'm not saying she's broken, I actually think that's a pretty clever distinction, so if for example, Sheoldred did start warping standard, people could just change how they play, and hold up removal when their opponent is going to untap with 2BB. Which is exactly what happened, and as a result, Sheoldred is no longer a 4-of in most decks, and has actually been cut from some decks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

No, I mean, like at the time of design. So like a GG creature would be roughly the power level of a 2G one.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, I mean, like at the time of design. So like a GG creature would be roughly the power level of a 2G one.

This is a bad and needlessly restricting idea. You're comparing two very different things. One thing controls what the minimum turn count needs to be before it can come out. The other controls how invested you have to be in a color to cast it consistently (and also how much money you spend on dual lands).

Plus, I don't think we should have wurmcoil engine at GGG.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dr. Stab posted:

I give it two years.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

This is a bad and needlessly restricting idea. You're comparing two very different things. One thing controls what the minimum turn count needs to be before it can come out. The other controls how invested you have to be in a color to cast it consistently (and also how much money you spend on dual lands).

Isn’t there a Polukranos that’s halfway there

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn’t there a Polukranos that’s halfway there

Polukranos Reborn//Polukranos, Engine of Ruin

GGG for 4/5 with reach.

Then you have to pay an additional 7 mana (or 6 mana and 2 life) to flip it to a 6/6 with reach and lifelink that gives you a 3/3 with reach and 3/3 with lifelink whenever a nontoken Hydra you control dies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The fact that everyone took a page to even remember that there is a GGG 4/5 french vanilla in standard right now (completely ignoring the actually quite nice backside upside) speaks volumes as to what Just A Body means (it means it's unplayable). It doesn't help that there are no Big Green tools to play with, really. At least for a simple "I play above rate stuff and kill you with it" game plan. Topiary Stomper is a good example imo of a great rate creature with heavy green identity but it's really only good for fix n ramp, you can't really play it "honestly" as in "I build my deck to attack with this asap and that's how I win".

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Topiary stomper doesn't exist in decks where "just attack with topiary stomper" is part of the gameplan RIGHT NOW, but there were points in it's standard lifespan where it was the case. "You can't really play it honestly" is more a statement on the current meta.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9P58YG4axY
I loved this Faithless Looting art when I saw it and the internet sucks lmao.

Knowing that MTG art was what inspired the artist to start drawing and that she also thinks Scott Fischer's Time Stop is S-tier adds a lot

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
:shrug: It shrinks down to card-art size really badly, but that's ultimately a failure of the art director, not the artist

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The art sucks in a comically bad way. The artist doesn’t deserve chuds targeting them though.

The good news is faithless looting has many choices for art and frame.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Somehow it looked a lot better in person than it did in previews. No idea how that works.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its also a card too powerful for modern but not good enough for legacy.

The injustice continues.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That card is rad, would've never guessed people hated it. Really fun style and I love when they experiment beyond house style. Then again anytime I see a list of worst art it's always full of really great stuff and artists I wish we saw more of.

Edit: whoa it does look a lot better in the other frames though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Knowing that MTG art was what inspired the artist to start drawing and that she also thinks Scott Fischer's Time Stop is S-tier adds a lot

I wasn't crazy about it at first but the art has grown on me over time for sure. I hope the artist doesn't get discouraged by any chud comments and that WotC commissions them for more stuff.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

The art sucks in a comically bad way. The artist doesn’t deserve chuds targeting them though.

The good news is faithless looting has many choices for art and frame.

:agreed: and unfortunately it was the only art style available on arena for a while, and it was a bonus sheet rare which sucked to craft

thankfully soi remastered fixed the problem

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this art is really bad, but her other non-stained-glass art is amazing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

reignonyourparade posted:

Topiary stomper doesn't exist in decks where "just attack with topiary stomper" is part of the gameplan RIGHT NOW, but there were points in it's standard lifespan where it was the case. "You can't really play it honestly" is more a statement on the current meta.

Yeah, when it's in the same deck as Battle for Zendikar it's definitely not the card I point to with that kind of accusation.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It looks different and that should be celebrated. I personally dig it, but even if you don't, those are the kinds of risks people should be taking on Magic art. Give us more wacky poo poo like skeletons on a sidewalk, or from the most recent set a nervous guy surrounded by leaves.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love Magic art that takes risks. I'll accept the occasional Faithless Looting if it means getting some more art like Stasis and 10th Edition Terror.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i like the faithless looting art as a piece of art and i agree with the point in the video that the frame does it a major disservice. the artist also did a solid looking harmonize in the same set, and also did social climber for new capenna which i think works pretty well

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It looks different and that should be celebrated. I personally dig it, but even if you don't, those are the kinds of risks people should be taking on Magic art. Give us more wacky poo poo like skeletons on a sidewalk, or from the most recent set a nervous guy surrounded by leaves.

Frankly all the most interesting things to look at art wise are gonna just not be liked by everyone, that's why it's more interesting than usual. The stuff everybody agrees is fine is like draft chaff of MtG arts.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Somehow it looked a lot better in person than it did in previews. No idea how that works.

I think the texture of paint on the dress is fairly subtle so if you're looking at it small on a screen in possibly bad lighting conditions it looks like a totally flat colour as if she just used the Fill tool in MS Paint.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Khanstant posted:

Frankly all the most interesting things to look at art wise are gonna just not be liked by everyone, that's why it's more interesting than usual. The stuff everybody agrees is fine is like draft chaff of MtG arts.

Yeah, I've gotta say, Faithless Looting has given me the most emotional responses to seeing it. I'm never just lukewarm on it, every time I see it I have some kinda reaction, even if I can't decide if I like it. That's a drat sight more response than the average art gets.

Regular Magic cards are so constant in style and aesthetic that it's always the subject that carries if I like it, not a picture. I've gotten really into the Phyrexians primarily because they're actually going pretty hard on an unusual aesthetic there; they really make sets like Karlov Manor feel pretty dull in comparison.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Its also a card too powerful for modern but not good enough for legacy.

The injustice continues.

It's not too strong for Modern, they banned it because they made Hogaak.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

kalel posted:

:agreed: and unfortunately it was the only art style available on arena for a while, and it was a bonus sheet rare which sucked to craft

thankfully soi remastered fixed the problem
The japanese art style was available from the start

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's that secret lair card with the giant trying to hide in ambush?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

What's that secret lair card with the giant trying to hide in ambush?
It's not secret lair, enchanted tales from WOE,
Sneak attack.
Am bush

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

It's not secret lair, enchanted tales from WOE,
Sneak attack.
Am bush

Ahhhh yeah that's the one. Such a good joke

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Ahhhh yeah that's the one. Such a good joke

I bought four
Or tried to, a store sent me an anime version instead and then ghosted me. Still mad!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Final story for Thunder Junction is out https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-6-the-ballad-of-thieves-and-thunderslingers

Jace has been pretending to be Ashiok since at least the end of WoE, potentially still Phyrexian-ized "as she saw past the illusion he was still tucked carefully beneath. "Your scars … Those plugs … What happened to you?""

The treasure in the vault is "A small creature rested on what was left of the altar. Its body was covered in orange fur, and a single tuft of cream hair sat at the top of its head, wedged between two dark horns. A long tail curled around its legs, hollow at the tip. Inside, a blue orb flickered to life. Its nose twitched, sensing the open air, and a pair of large green eyes fluttered open as if the creature had been asleep for a very long time" and Jace has it. Dunno if this something we're supposed to understand now or if it's setting something up.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 25, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My first guess is it will tie in to the next Redwall set.

And regarding that blue bastard, is it a minority opinion to hate him, is he still one of the popular characters because it was so cool to finally see him die in a hilariously stupid way and they just keep dragging him forward in a way that says he's a money maker they'll never abandon.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I can't imagine having an opinion on MtG IP characters past "distant amusement"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think that's why they're trying to just get us used to offbrand IPs instead. I try to read the stories of I'm spending the time on magic that set, but they don't give us much at least compared to the old days when there were novels and comics and such. I like cards as storytelling moments from the story and I'd much rather have Magic IP than marvel and transformers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I think that's why they're trying to just get us used to offbrand IPs instead. I try to read the stories of I'm spending the time on magic that set, but they don't give us much at least compared to the old days when there were novels and comics and such. I like cards as storytelling moments from the story and I'd much rather have Magic IP than marvel and transformers.

I don't even read the story but i do like that it's magic characters. i can do all kinds of transformers or harry potter stuff with transformers and harry potter stuff.

this is just going to be a universes beyond argument again though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Khanstant posted:

As someone who read almost every MTG Novel, 95% of them are dogshit, that people only remember fondly because they were 10-14 when they read them.
The way they tell the stories now is better for the quality of the individual set stories, a little less good for "overarching stories" even when most of them are half-baked.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 25, 2024