Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I love this – “oh, by the way, I have a seven-and-a-half-foot-tall statue of a xenomorph in my home office, no big.”

drat, she rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LvK posted:

like, gently caress, I know nothing ever happens in Rex Morgan, but it's such a gimme to have the tough old guy realize that people of all ages may possibly require mobility aids, and also at the same time find out that he can swallow his manly pride because his fans are just happy that he's present and healthy, and are honored to meet him no matter what he's using to get around. If you wanna get vulgar levels of cloying PR-friendly tokenism, have a child who uses crutches see him and go "oh, wow! Now I realize that manly men can use mobility aids! I've never had a role model until a baby boomer gave me the wisdom I needed to survive my handicap and stand up to bullies and, idk, intolerance! Thanks, magical old man of infinite cranky boomer wisdom!"

I'm annoyed, is what I'm saying. But I still can't put myself in the headspace of the people who hate Wallace and/or Amelia in the GoComics comments.

Ewww, but then the comic allegedly about doctors and medicine might teach me something useful about healthcare

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 13, 1962)

Last time I said I was looking forward to somebody getting their comeuppance in Vintage Valiant I was sorely disappointed. Still, I can't help but look at that duke and think it's going to be fun to watch him get turbo-murdered in the near future.

This sits different for those of us who read Lunker as a Russian immigrant.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If I say yes will we be freed from the Luann menace

No.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

I don't know of any small child that should be allowed an unsupervised campfire, but this child especially.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Okay Luann let's just get to the part where she sees a happy mom in a park and decides that love is the only thing they actually need.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

theironjef posted:

Okay Luann let's just get to the part where she sees a happy mom in a park and decides that love is the only thing they actually need.

Hire the dumbfuck buddy to be a manny.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Saoshyant posted:

Wallace the Brave

So three things about this strip:

- Love that while Wallace is drawing a flower and Spud a seagull, Amelia's working on a skull with flames!

- Once again Spud is proving to be my spirit animal, heck I think Spud is most of this threads spirit animal.

- Finally, from Will Henry's Instagram:

Will Henry posted:

Garfield is one of my favorite comic strips of all time and I don't care who knows it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What. No! Will Henry, noooo!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There isn't a one of us who didn't come up on renting those wide-format Garfield books 2-3 at a time from the library.

There's no shame in growing up, but also no shame in respecting our roots!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, vintage Garfield is very good cartooning. It was huge for a reason.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Garfield would be nothing without Lorenzo Music

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Luann: it occurs to me that TJ seems really creepily obsessed with Brad and Toni procreating.

Garfield: old-school Garfield is great, but I will admit that the artists over at Paws, Inc can still sell a joke with a well-illustrated panel. Yes, the art (and yeah, the jokes too) is phoned-in and repetitive a good 98% of the time, but every now and then they’ll have an exaggerated character expression or a visual gag that absolutely slays.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/7-9/52

Just wait a few decades!

Archie 12/1-3/49

What a dick.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 5/1/77

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For a little while classic Garfield was being posted in one of these threads. There really was a difference. We weren't all idiots when we were kids!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Garfield earned lifelong goodwill with Davis' early years and the original cartoon. I'll always be a little fond of him.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Not to toot my own posts, but this week's heap of Ballard Street includes some bangers.

Look at that happy dog!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Horn Is A Penis, Much Like Dilbert

I Hate Having To Remember South Park Is Still Going

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skipping another night shift, but Olive & Popeye needs to escape.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

same, Melanie, same

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Huxley posted:

There isn't a one of us who didn't come up on renting those wide-format Garfield books 2-3 at a time from the library.

There's no shame in growing up, but also no shame in respecting our roots!

I checked a ton out from the library, sure, but I also blew a month-plus worth of allowance ($2/week) on a few of those collections through the years.

Over the holidays I found a Youtube channel that was running Garfield's Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas specials on a loop. Over the course of an hour and change I had a realization of how deeply ingrained those cartoons are in my brain a good 30 years since I was breaking out our VHS on the regular.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Garfield: old-school Garfield is great, but I will admit that the artists over at Paws, Inc can still sell a joke with a well-illustrated panel. Yes, the art (and yeah, the jokes too) is phoned-in and repetitive a good 98% of the time, but every now and then they’ll have an exaggerated character expression or a visual gag that absolutely slays.

I can also get behind this; modern Garfield is pretty miserable day-to-day - not just a zombie strip, but a zombie strip by committee - but once every couple of weeks somebody on the Paws staff gets inspired and knocks it out of the park.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I love this – “oh, by the way, I have a seven-and-a-half-foot-tall statue of a xenomorph in my home office, no big.”

I remember seeing one of those Xenomorph Statues at The Sharper Image at the mall near my hometown. I wonder how much it'd cost to ship one to Japan?

TJ is way too into his friends/roommates potentially loving.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 23, 2024

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TJ has always been a little creep

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why the gently caress is he still there

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Garfield collections and Choose Your Own Adventure books were my go-tos at the book fairs as a kid.

F Minus

Mark Trail

If you were wondering what a horse looks like, there's an illustration provided in the first panel for your benefit.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Andertoons

The robot can't see lights? Is that the joke?

Aparrtment 3-G

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

The robot can't see lights? Is that the joke?

It's a reference to those "prove you're not a robot" tests you get online sometimes. Often you have to select the pictures that have a traffic light in them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The_Other posted:

It's a reference to those "prove you're not a robot" tests you get online sometimes. Often you have to select the pictures that have a traffic light in them.

drat I should have got that. That's pretty good.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Woof, turn the romance down a notch, Mary Worth! I’m getting all hot and bothered!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Are we supposed to agree with Mark? Because somehow this comic is making me side with the rich business-owner. :psyduck:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Can't wait to see what lame stuff happens in this year's Easter Bunny storyline.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Are we supposed to agree with Mark? Because somehow this comic is making me side with the rich business-owner. :psyduck:

Don't forget Mark learned that horses are actually an invasive species and then just kinda. Forgot about that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Bonus: Since ye olde Garfield came up...

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Oh no it's for the art to the left of his isn't it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

drat, everybody's friends suck this week.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake The Magician

Presented without comment, three days of vehicular-explosion action sequences in two different strips.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 20, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
edit: eh, this might offend.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 23, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

riderchop posted:

What the hell? Was it also crammed against your prostate?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Been rereading Prince Valiant through previous years' threads, and I just got to the strip that instantly became my avatar upon seeing it. What a fantastically powerful series of panels in an already incredible work. Hal Foster just kept outdoing himself over and over.

riderchop posted:

Ah, A+J predicting the Lovense, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze is spoiler'd due to bereavement arc.

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse